Kyle Long

AZ54

I find this encouraging beyond just how well Long and Mills are doing but in future drafting of OL. How many colossal misses did JA have picking offensive linemen in the draft and how many much higher picks than Long or Mills that never panned out no matter how many chances they were given. It seems to me that Emery/Trestman seem to have a better system of evaluating OL in the draft than their predecessor. That bodes well for us. Let's just say for the sake of argument here that Long and Mills solidify the right side, Bushrod works out at LT and we get serviceable play out of Garza and who ever ends up as our LG. The next offseason of FA/Draft could provide us with the next two pieces to solidify the OL for the next several years. If that all happens it would have taken Emery 3 seasons to do what angelo failed to do in the years following the 2006 super bowl season when the line really began to go down hill. Angelo waited till it was a dire situation and then repeatedly failed to correct it either thru the draft or free agency.

Now this is early and Long and Mills have looked good thus far especially Long and a lot can happen in an NFL season, but, when was the last time we were excited about the play of our rookie offensive linemen at any point. It's always been "well he's a failure at that spot, maybe he can fit here" or wondering what kind of compromising photos the guy had to keep being given chances well after it was clear he didn't belong in the NFL. This start at least helps me feel more confident that this staff can finally fix what the previous one couldn't. And IMHO till that's fixed it won't matter who you put back behind center.

I agree on the points you made on being encouraged with the staff's ability to draft and the new talent of the right side. What scares the crap outta me is that we have yet to see any of the blitz packages we will see in week one. There will be a huge lack of experience on the right side. Not only does it usually take years for a o-lineman to develop, it takes seasoning of an OL to develop the continuity it needs to succeed. While the feeling of hope needs its day in the sun, reality may be looming in a few weeks.

I like the look/feel of things to come though.

I agree on the points you made on being encouraged with the staff's ability to draft and the new talent of the right side. What scares the crap outta me is that we have yet to see any of the blitz packages we will see in week one. There will be a huge lack of experience on the right side. Not only does it usually take years for a o-lineman to develop, it takes seasoning of an OL to develop the continuity it needs to succeed. While the feeling of hope needs its day in the sun, reality may be looming in a few weeks.

I like the look/feel of things to come though.

See: J'Marcus Webb.

Had to do it.

People are making an awful lot of conclusions about the coaching staff and Emery's drafting ability based upon preseason production. Sure there are tools that you see and things to be encouraged but what matters is regular and post-season production. Conclusions should be made based upon that. Right now...this is just preliminary information that gives you a bit of an educated hypothesis as to what these players and the coaching staff may be capable of. All of it is happening with very vanilla playbooks (both on our team and for the other team).

People are making an awful lot of conclusions about the coaching staff and Emery's drafting ability based upon preseason production. Sure there are tools that you see and things to be encouraged but what matters is regular and post-season production. Conclusions should be made based upon that. Right now...this is just preliminary information that gives you a bit of an educated hypothesis as to what these players and the coaching staff may be capable of. All of it is happening with very vanilla playbooks (both on our team and for the other team).

This x2

Optimism is good but this is just fancy practices/scrimmages. And for what it's worth regardless of how great Long and Mills look now it doesn't mean a whole lot if the QB keeps turning it over. Maybe we'll see a better lithmus test of what's to come after game 3. Although I'm still not sure Oakland will be a true test either.

The coaches are making decisions based on the preseason and training camp. I don't see people on the board putting us in the Superbowl. I just see us talking about who is performing well in preseason games as well as discussing differences we see in the new coaches and scheme. Vanilla schemes allow coaches and fans to evaluate individual performances.

While we all know it's early, we can compare what we have seen so far from this rookie class to what we've seen from past rookie classes in training camp and the first two preseason games. That's valid and many of these rookies are playing well enough to show they belong on the field. We haven't seen a lot of that in recent rookie groups in their first couple preseason games, certainly not from this many draft picks.

It is also fair to evaluate the decisiveness of the new GM and coaches. Emery, Trestman, and Kromer were not hesitant to trade Carimi despite knowing the need to overhaul the oline. They weren't hanging onto Webb as our starter for too long either without trying another player. I think it's fair to say they weren't sure how Mills would play against a first string defense but one game later after they watched the film they've forced Webb to take a huge pay cut. Change is in the air and it is largely centered around what has been our achilles heel for the last few seasons. I see it happening as a result of positive results so it's not just change for the sake of changing. Long outperformed Brown at RG in game 1 and certainly in game 2. Mills outperformed Webb at RT. It's relevant because all were preseason comparisons.

It's a good start and I'm ready to see more.

The coaches are making decisions based on the preseason and training camp. I don't see people on the board putting us in the Superbowl. I just see us talking about who is performing well in preseason games as well as discussing differences we see in the new coaches and scheme. Vanilla schemes allow coaches and fans to evaluate individual performances.

While we all know it's early, we can compare what we have seen so far from this rookie class to what we've seen from past rookie classes in training camp and the first two preseason games. That's valid and many of these rookies are playing well enough to show they belong on the field. We haven't seen a lot of that in recent rookie groups in their first couple preseason games, certainly not from this many draft picks.

It is also fair to evaluate the decisiveness of the new GM and coaches. Emery, Trestman, and Kromer were not hesitant to trade Carimi despite knowing the need to overhaul the oline. They weren't hanging onto Webb as our starter for too long either without trying another player. I think it's fair to say they weren't sure how Mills would play against a first string defense but one game later after they watched the film they've forced Webb to take a huge pay cut. Change is in the air and it is largely centered around what has been our achilles heel for the last few seasons. I see it happening as a result of positive results so it's not just change for the sake of changing. Long outperformed Brown at RG in game 1 and certainly in game 2. Mills outperformed Webb at RT. It's relevant because all were preseason comparisons.

It's a good start and I'm ready to see more.

Exactly, we're all aware that this is preseason and the true test comes in the regular season and post season. If Long and Mills are the day 1 starters on the right side they will be tested, we know DC's around the league will for sure test and attack that side of the line. The rooks will for sure make mistakes and fail at times but the hope here is that they overall hold their own. The points I was making in my post isn't to assume these guys are all pro based on preseason action. But look at the guy's we've drafted in recent years on the OL and I don't recall much praise being thrown their way even in preseason. Many of our highly drafted OL under Angelo had sucked even in preseason and it was always about hoping they would eventually get better. Comparing that to Long and Mills this preseason thus far and there is a stark difference. Which does give us hope that we may in fact have starting quality lineman on the right side, it's a long season and they will be tested, but at this point in time I'm more optimistic than I have been in past years. If they do pan out that definitely bodes well for the future and gives confidence that this staff can fix what the previous staff couldn't. Isn't that what all of us want?

Now we are all meatheads cuz we don't care for Webb. If that's your definition of meathead then your 1 of the very few ppl in this world that's not a meathead.

I'm just tired of the childish ass "are you webbs boyfriend/momma/cousin/related" comments because my opinion is different then everyone....I thought I was the youngest guy here but sometimes it sure doesn't feel like it.

You said this:

He has to work on technique but holy cripes are the tools there. Dude was a freakin stud last night and It was amazing to see. I look forward to seeing him grow and pancake the shit out of people. I hope he turns into a perennial all pro!!!

and then:

Huh?

You said this:

He has to work on technique but holy cripes are the tools there. Dude was a freakin stud last night and It was amazing to see. I look forward to seeing him grow and pancake the shit out of people. I hope he turns into a perennial all pro!!!

and then:

Huh?

Yes...I highlighted the tools that he showed. I didn't say he's going to be a hall of famer.

I'm just tired of the childish ass "are you webbs boyfriend/momma/cousin/related" comments because my opinion is different then everyone....I thought I was the youngest guy here but sometimes it sure doesn't feel like it.

I understood your joke there and it would be nice if others could for once laugh a bit even as you were willing to mock yourself.

I understood your joke there and it would be nice if others could for once laugh a bit even as you were willing to mock yourself.

Finally, someone that understands. I've said this before and at risk of "sounding like a broken record", you're hands down my favorite poster here...You don't spread around arrogant ignorance like most others here.

I'd leave the forum but there's just something about you guys that are like a bad drug.

That law is for medical use only unlike states like Colorado and Oregon. And it doesn't actually take affect til Jan 1. Don't want ppl to think its completely legal and then get busted for it

Yes this is true, but I just wanted to point out that the only drug I've partaken in is a drug that is being legalized as a "drug" with medical healing powers. I hate when people try to belittle me, or anyone for their use of the drug when there is no evidence that it is any worse than alcohol. I'm gonna leave it at that because this is talkbears not talkdrugs.