What are your expectations for Game 1 and the entire season?

Bears4Ever_34

With Sunday approaching quickly, I'm curious as to type of offense and defense we will see heading into Game 1 against the Bengals. What I am expecting is to see the Bears come out in a wide variety of offensive formations to keep the defense on their heels. I expect to see a good chunk (maybe more-so later in the year) of the pistol, not in terms of the QB run, but in terms of play action passing. Martellus Bennett should be a huge factor if they choose to go that route, because the middle of the field will be wide open.

I think we know by now that Matt Forte will become the focal point of the offense. I expect him to see a lot of touches as a runner and as a pass catcher. He may very well approach the 80-90-100 catch territory before the season is over.

But the most intriguing thing to me will be the offensive tempo. Will there be a lot of no-huddle? How quickly do they want to get a play off? I have to think with the way Trestman has put a major emphasis on organization and structure at the line of scrimmage, that there will be some sort of up-tempo style. I would be shocked to see the Bears call plays out of the huddle for an entire game this year. I think he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve.

--

On the defensive side of the ball, I expect to see more press man coverages, and blitzing from the DB's. Mel Tucker seems to me like the aggressive type as opposed to the conservative type we've seen for the last 8 years from Lovie Smith. They'll run a lot of cover 2 for the vets this season, but once the Lovie jock riders are gone, I think we might see an entirely different style of defense.

What I will be watching for mostly is the way they plan on using McClellin. I just don't think the guy is a defensive end. Will be interesting to see if he gets any burn as a rush OLB as the season goes on. Marineli experimented with that last year, but I'd like to see more of it.

Thoughts?

With Sunday approaching quickly, I'm curious as to type of offense and defense we will see heading into Game 1 against the Bengals. What I am expecting is to see the Bears come out in a wide variety of offensive formations to keep the defense on their heels. I expect to see a good chunk (maybe more-so later in the year) of the pistol, not in terms of the QB run, but in terms of play action passing. Martellus Bennett should be a huge factor if they choose to go that route, because the middle of the field will be wide open.

I think we know by now that Matt Forte will become the focal point of the offense. I expect him to see a lot of touches as a runner and as a pass catcher. He may very well approach the 80-90-100 catch territory before the season is over.

But the most intriguing thing to me will be the offensive tempo. Will there be a lot of no-huddle? How quickly do they want to get a play off? I have to think with the way Trestman has put a major emphasis on organization and structure at the line of scrimmage, that there will be some sort of up-tempo style. I would be shocked to see the Bears call plays out of the huddle for an entire game this year. I think he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve.

--

On the defensive side of the ball, I expect to see more press man coverages, and blitzing from the DB's. Mel Tucker seems to me like the aggressive type as opposed to the conservative type we've seen for the last 8 years from Lovie Smith. They'll run a lot of cover 2 for the vets this season, but once the Lovie jock riders are gone, I think we might see an entirely different style of defense.

What I will be watching for mostly is the way they plan on using McClellin. I just don't think the guy is a defensive end. Will be interesting to see if he gets any burn as a rush OLB as the season goes on. Marineli experimented with that last year, but I'd like to see more of it.

Thoughts?

On the offense side; I'd LOVE to see a no huddle scheme. Oddly enough I think this could play to Cutlers strengths. What he needs is confidence. This would allow him to audible if need and give him the ability to call plays he thinks would work for the scheme presented. I think it would go a long way towards a strong rapport for he and Trestman if it works.

I'm not sure that the team was very "conservative" on defense since they led the NFL in takeaways and scores last year. You don't get that by sitting back and waiting for plays to develop. But you're right I've seen some flashes of things that we hadn't before. One being Peanut blitzing from the end. That was new and exciting to see. What has Tucker got up his sleeve?

I still stand by my being cautiously optimistic stance due to the numerous unknowns, but with the season starting in earnest in two days I have a hard time containing my excitement.

Da Bearz!

On the offense side; I'd LOVE to see a no huddle scheme. Oddly enough I think this could play to Cutlers strengths. What he needs is confidence. This would allow him to audible if need and give him the ability to call plays he thinks would work for the scheme presented. I think it would go a long way towards a strong rapport for he and Trestman if it works.

I'm not sure that the team was very "conservative" on defense since they led the NFL in takeaways and scores last year. You don't get that by sitting back and waiting for plays to develop. But you're right I've seen some flashes of things that we hadn't before. One being Peanut blitzing from the end. That was new and exciting to see. What has Tucker got up his sleeve?

I still stand by my being cautiously optimistic stance due to the numerous unknowns, but with the season starting in earnest in two days I have a hard time containing my excitement.

Da Bearz!

On offense, I would like to see continuity, where the offense runs smooth. There playing a very good defense, so this will be a hard game to measure the success of the whole season. A few big plays, no turnovers and Cutler making good decisions, would go along way to giving me confidence we going in the right direction. I would like to think, we come out look great and whip the Bengals but with everything so new, I think it will take 3 or 4 games before were running wild on the field. Defense will look good, get a few turnovers, and let the MLB spot take care of itself, hope the passrush is there.

If Trestman is as smart as he appears to be, I think he will try to exploit Cincinnati's LB'ers in pass coverage, where they are horrible. The zone read, play action pass would shred their defense because their Lb'ers are built to play downhill, they are not quick enough to get back in pass coverage. A combination of the zone reads and quick passes should help negate Cinci's biggest strength on defense. The pass rush won't have time to get to the quarterback, and the Linebackers won't be able to play in the box, where they are most comfortable.

If Trestman is as smart as he appears to be, I think he will try to exploit Cincinnati's LB'ers in pass coverage, where they are horrible. The zone read, play action pass would shred their defense because their Lb'ers are built to play downhill, they are not quick enough to get back in pass coverage. A combination of the zone reads and quick passes should help negate Cinci's biggest strength on defense. The pass rush won't have time to get to the quarterback, and the Linebackers won't be able to play in the box, where they are most comfortable.

Exactly. Maualuga is awful. Harrison's never played in a scheme like Cincinnati's. Burfict is a good player but his pass defense is nothing to write home about.

Another guy that they can exploit is George Iloka. He's going to start at SS and was a 5th round pick in 2012. His inexperience can hurt the Bengals tomorrow.

We will see an above average D. Offensively I don't know yet. I think it all comes down to the o-line, Cutler, and Alshon stepping up. If we have a quick action, up tempo offense with quick releases, varying pockets and throwing angles, I think we will be okay. I see the team winning between 7 to 11 games and fall in at about 10. Tough tough schedule though.

* And of course health...everything keys in on the health of the key players.

This is my broad brush-stroke...

1. We will compete in every game

2. We will win big games people thought we should lose

3. We will lose games people thought we should win

4. We will bie for a playoff spot. Depending on how our competition does, we will get in or just miss out.

5. We will be fun and exciting to watch on all 3 phases.

6. We will have lot to talk about

7. We will be happy with the diraction the team is going

8. We have a shot at winning a super bowl this year. If we continue to improve, stay healthy, get a little lucky, and play great ball at the right time...why the heck not?

Bear down!

:dabears

Guest TerraTor

Same thing here. I expect Matty and Bennett to dominate the catches.