Williams starting over Bostic

KiLoc69

I'm curious to hear how the majority of fans and AM radio guys in Chicago feel about Williams probably getting the nod over Bostic to start against the Bengals. I personally wanted the rookie out there to start and let Williams come in to spell him while he got his conditioning back a bit. How do you guys feel?

I'm curious to hear how the majority of fans and AM radio guys in Chicago feel about Williams probably getting the nod over Bostic to start against the Bengals. I personally wanted the rookie out there to start and let Williams come in to spell him while he got his conditioning back a bit. How do you guys feel?

I have no problem with it as long as Williams is healthy. Williams is a proven vet, probably more athletic, and was brought in to replace Urlacher. Bostic will get his chances but has a lot of learning to do. No need to have him be a liability unless DJ falters. Plus as mentioned before, he can concentrate on ST's.

I have no problem with it as long as Williams is healthy. Williams is a proven vet, probably more athletic, and was brought in to replace Urlacher. Bostic will get his chances but has a lot of learning to do. No need to have him be a liability unless DJ falters. Plus as mentioned before, he can concentrate on ST's.

I think Williams best fits what they need right now, with consistency but Bostic will have the more play making ability and will eventually get the nod. Nice to have a couple of decent options for a change, instead of mediocre backups.

Meh.... Six one half dozen the other.

Williams has NFL experience, Bostic more in game (with this team) experience. Slight advantage to Williams right now. If he falters though it is encouraging to know that a kid like Bostic will step in.

Bostic's flashy plays this pre-season make it seem as though he's been playing so well while all the bad things get overlooked. He has a long ways to go. If Williams is healthy, he should be out there because he's probably the better player right now.

Agreed. There were a lot of times Bostic was out of position. He still has some things to learn and he's going to get plenty of reps and preperation and will step into a larger role soon enough and at that point should be more prepared to succeed long term.

Agreed. There were a lot of times Bostic was out of position. He still has some things to learn and he's going to get plenty of reps and preperation and will step into a larger role soon enough and at that point should be more prepared to succeed long term.

I agree with most. Bostic at least showed us during preseason that he can at least play in the league. I would use this yr as a learning yr from watching Williams play. Bostic will definitely get a lot of reps so not worried at all

In Trestman I trust...

Bostic's flashy plays this pre-season make it seem as though he's been playing so well while all the bad things get overlooked. He has a long ways to go. If Williams is healthy, he should be out there because he's probably the better player right now.

Have you ever seen Williams play? There's a reason he didn't get many calls in FA and signed for next to nothing.

First and foremost I am very happy to finally even have a discussion about a rookie LB starting. Granted we've had Url and Briggs but our 3rd spot has been nothing but a stop gap player since Hillenmeyer departed and the front office had multiple opportunities to fix the gap but didn't.

Given the two TEs we'll be facing in this game I prefer to have Williams' experience on the field. Bostic often looked lost on passing plays and he needs some time to learn. With DJ coming off injury and still not in game shape I could see them putting Bostic out there for some first and second downs throughout the game but prefer Williams experience on the field on 3rd downs. Of course there is always hope that we have such a big lead that in the 4th quarter Bostic can take over completely and thus get some valuable game experience.

Have you ever seen Williams play? There's a reason he didn't get many calls in FA and signed for next to nothing.

This was my thinking. I know Bostic is going to maje rookie mistakes but I'm not abig Williams fan and on top of that he's been injured. Bostic might be more ready to play in this system than Williams...

I have. The Bears obviously feel good enough to put him out there over Bostic because they feel like he's a better player. Lets not act like he was on the street because of a lack of talent/skill. His issues go beyond what takes place on the field. The Bears took a chance. Lets see if it pays off.

He was earlier in his career, but he didn't look like it today. 3 tackles and 2 assists as a middle linebacker isn't gonna cut it...

It was his first game back after not playing in the preseason. I'm not writing him off after one game and the comments weren't based on today's production. DJ Williams was one of the better linebackers in this league prior to his suspension/issues. And it is nice having him from a depth perspective. Can play inside and out so if someone on the outside goes down we can slide him over with Bostic coming into the middle. Nice to have that kind of depth. I expect Bostic to be a starter in time.