Bears @ Redskins, 10/20/13

balta1701-A

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Trestman was able to open up the playbook more with McNown, which leads me to believe either Cutler can't handle it mentally or wont handle it because of an attitude.

The offense had more flow and McNown was able to make better pre snap reads.

Not sure I'd assume it's attitude or mental capacity. It may be more that Cutler's game isn't ideal for this offense. Jays had to try to play within it, where as it's an offense that may well better suit a guy like McCown. The true west coast is based on quick throws, short drops, and taking shots down field here and there but it's a more ball control type offense. Jay is more of a gunslinger. I think we've seen he can play in this offense but doing so he's had to change how he plays the game.

Not sure I'd assume it's attitude or mental capacity. It may be more that Cutler's game isn't ideal for this offense. Jays had to try to play within it, where as it's an offense that may well better suit a guy like McCown. The true west coast is based on quick throws, short drops, and taking shots down field here and there but it's a more ball control type offense. Jay is more of a gunslinger. I think we've seen he can play in this offense but doing so he's had to change how he plays the game.

He played okay in Mike Shanahan's west coast scheme. Brett Favre thrived under Mike Holmgren's WCO as a renown gunslinger. Hell, Cutler was playing the best football of his career before going down with this injury. I don't think the scheme is a problem. I actually think it's ideal for him, because it encourages him to get rid of the ball quicker and establish a rhythm instead of throwing down the field so much and taking more chances with interceptions.

I just want to point out that it is a new system and he was completing like 70% of his passes and looking pretty darn good. He's matured significantly and I think (albeit its just what I think), we'd have one of the top 5-7 offenses in the league by season end. Cutler made a ton of progress this year and was getting better every week. A week ago he played one of his best games in a Bears uniform (looked so comfortable and would have had a more monstrous game if Alshon didn't trip and drop a few balls...Cutler also left a couple out there too).