Cutler Expected to Start against the Lions

xvflutop

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why Cutler would want to return as soon as possible. McCown has done great and most importantly no picks. Every game/win McCown notches is leverage/cash lost for Cutler. I like Cutler's arm better, but winning is winning.

If the Bears move on from Cutler, McCown will not be the long term solution. He has shown he is a good back up but I don't see him as someone you build your team on.

That being said, I would be willing to sign McCown to a 2-year extension so we know we can depend on him being there as Cutler's backup or a fill in while we develop a drafted QB.

Peace :dabears

I can see why Cutler would want to return as soon as possible. McCown has done great and most importantly no picks. Every game/win McCown notches is leverage/cash lost for Cutler. I like Cutler's arm better, but winning is winning.

I dont think it has anything to do with McCown, he is a competitor and wants to play. McCown isnt a threat to him.

I dont think it has anything to do with McCown, he is a competitor and wants to play. McCown isnt a threat to him.

Ah come on. Its as clear as day. Sure Jay is a competitor but each day that McCown plays and plays successfully is a day less that Cutler can try and prove his worth to the team. And give himself the leverage he may want going into negotiations.

McCown may not be a direct 'threat' per se, but he is making it easier to see how well Trestman's system (if it is that) can work with the right operator in place.

Ah come on. Its as clear as day. Sure Jay is a competitor but each day that McCown plays and plays successfully is a day less that Cutler can try and prove his worth to the team. And give himself the leverage he may want going into negotiations.

McCown may not be a direct 'threat' per se, but he is making it easier to see how well Trestman's system (if it is that) can work with the right operator in place.

Not true. Cutler, his agent and everyone around him knows he has more to lose coming back too early than he has to gain. Too early and he lays an egg lets Trestman know he can't trust Cutler's ability to do what's in the best interest of the team. Too early and a relapse ruins the remainder of the audition and costs him millions and we don't have our QB for the playoff push. This is not the 49er situation from last season.

Not true. Cutler, his agent and everyone around him knows he has more to lose coming back too early than he has to gain. Too early and he lays an egg lets Trestman know he can't trust Cutler's ability to do what's in the best interest of the team. Too early and a relapse ruins the remainder of the audition and costs him millions and we don't have our QB for the playoff push. This is not the 49er situation from last season.

Hmmm...so you're trying to convince me that if McCown were to continue to play and play well that Cutler's contract discussions would not be affected at all by said performance?

I would concede that you make a valid point to the physical health concerns and that being the case puts Cutler in a "damned if he does, damed if he doesn't" situation. But he has a lot to lose in both scenarios.

Hmmm...so you're trying to convince me that if McCown were to continue to play

and play well that Cutler's contract discussions would not be affected at all by

said performance?

Yes. McCown has played well, but do has the incumbent starter. And Cutler is more proven, younger and more talented. If the Bears want to hardball him in contract negotiations, there is a team in our division that would love to pay him right now.

I would concede that you make a valid point to the physical health concerns and

that being the case puts Cutler in a "damned if he does, damed if he doesn't"

situation. But he has a lot to lose in both scenarios.

I think the brass already knows how they value him. He won't go way up from where they have him, but they can become "not interested".

Yes. McCown has played well, but do has the incumbent starter. And Cutler is more proven, younger and more talented. If the Bears want to hardball him in contract negotiations, there is a team in our division that would love to pay him right now.

Interesting, this doesn't sound all that dissimilar to what happened to Urlacher last year. Hardball is a game they are quite familiar with.

I think the brass already knows how they value him. He won't go way up from where they have him, but they can become "not interested".

But if McCown were to continue playing well, wouldn't it somewhat invalidate Cutler's better play this year as a product of a superior offensive system? I think that's what Alaska is getting at.

If McCown were to put up several games like he did this past week, the negotiations would probably go something like this:

Cutler's Agent (CA): "Cutler deserves a top 5 deal!"

Bears' Management (BM): "Not so sure about that. Why do you think so?"

CA: "Look at what he did this year! He stepped it up compared to previous years."

BM: "So did McCown. Why didn't he do it previous years? How do we know that this isn't a fluke year or what Cutler did isn't in large part due to the system and the coaching?"

CA: Makes face

BM: "How about we shoot for somewhere around top-10 money?"

Your right it has nothing to do with McCown. My point was that a backup/high school football coach came in and did a serviceable job. The organization would know they have great coaches that can prepare a guy. Let's project forward to the possibility that Jay sat out another week and the backup/McCown won. Let's imagine that he threw 250yds/2td/0int. That would mean 3 games 200+ yds/game with 0int and more importantly 2 quality wins. I am not saying that McCown is the future. I am saying that as a business, why would the bears throw a ton of money at a guy when the backup can win and isn't as expensive.

McCown the person is NOT a threat to Cutler. The backup idea IS a threat to a big money long term contract for him. And let's be honest. What if Cutler threw 3ints this weekend. Most on this board would and in soldier field would be chanting McCown's name.

CA: "Look at what he did this year! He stepped it up compared to previous years."

BM: "So did McCown. Why didn't he do it previous years? How do we know that this isn't a fluke year or what Cutler did isn't in large part due to the system and the coaching?"

CA: "Do I really have to mention offensive line and lack of quality receivers past Marshall? I mean we had no tight end and Jeffrey was hurt." "Mike Tice as the OC? Really?"

Would probably be the response, not a dumb look.

But if McCown were to continue playing well, wouldn't it somewhat invalidate Cutler's better play this year as a product of a superior offensive system? I think that's what Alaska is getting at.

If McCown were to put up several games like he did this past week, the negotiations would probably go something like this:

Cutler's Agent (CA): "Cutler deserves a top 5 deal!"

Bears' Management (BM): "Not so sure about that. Why do you think so?"

CA: Makes face

BM: "How about we shoot for somewhere around top-10 money?"

I don't think that is the reality of the situation. I think the brass has a price in mind already. It could wiggle a little higher, but can really go down. I simply think McCown has less to do with that.

I don't think that is the reality of the situation. I think the brass has a price in mind already. It could wiggle a little higher, but can really go down. I simply think McCown has less to do with that.

Agree. The only question, really, is whether there's some team out there that might consider offering McCown a good deal with the potential to be a starter. Weirder things have happened. In which case, we'd lose him. I think most teams understand it's 1.5 games of results, there were odd circumstances and while he put up good numbers, not every team is going to have this system and this talent on offense (line, RB, WR & TE).

So I think he gets signed back up at a reasonable price for a few years and does a good job for us, when needed.

Cutler, despite his shortcomings as a person, is still the "guy" and will get his big payday, either with the Bears or someone else. You don't see QB's with his level of ability very often in the NFL. Now that the rest of the offense has been built up around him, it would be a shame to lose him because Josh Friggen McCown had a nice game. It won't happen.

Your right it has nothing to do with McCown. My point was that a backup/high school football coach came in and did a serviceable job. The organization would know they have great coaches that can prepare a guy. Let's project forward to the possibility that Jay sat out another week and the backup/McCown won. Let's imagine that he threw 250yds/2td/0int.

This is pretty much my point (bolded). You take the 7 (or so games) that Cutler played, in this system and PROGRESSIVELY got better (minus two games with multiple turnovers). However you take a "backup/high school football coach" and insert him and he INSTANTLY showed postive results. I don't care if it was 1.5 to Cutler's 7, that's in fact the issue. Cutler has had MORE opportunity this year to prove himself and should be doing what McCown did in 1.5 games, not 7. Also, some will say Cutler played against "better teams" and "better defenses", I counter with "he's allegedly a top tier QB, he should be that much better".

McCown the person is NOT a threat to Cutler. The backup idea IS a threat to a big money long term contract for him. And let's be honest. What if Cutler threw 3ints this weekend. Most on this board would and in soldier field would be chanting McCown's name.

And this is so very true. That being McCown can do what he can do in a shorter span is going to weigh heavily on Cutler's performance. Cutler is Cutler. He has many bad habits that will be showcased, hopefully not, but when he makes that first interception or fumbles that ball....people are going to start wondering 'what would McCown be doing right now'?

This is pretty much my point (bolded). You take the 7 (or so games) that Cutler played, in this system and PROGRESSIVELY got better (minus two games with multiple turnovers). However you take a "backup/high school football coach" and insert him and he INSTANTLY showed postive results. I don't care if it was 1.5 to Cutler's 7, that's in fact the issue. Cutler has had MORE opportunity this year to prove himself and should be doing what McCown did in 1.5 games, not 7. Also, some will say Cutler played against "better teams" and "better defenses", I counter with "he's allegedly a top tier QB, he should be that much better".

And this is so very true. That being McCown can do what he can do in a shorter span is going to weigh heavily on Cutler's performance. Cutler is Cutler. He has many bad habits that will be showcased, hopefully not, but when he makes that first interception or fumbles that ball....people are going to start wondering 'what would McCown be doing right now'?

Sigh, that will be like when Broncos/Jets fans were chanting for Tebow.

I kinda wish McCown was starting this week. I don't think he would have had a good game against a team like Detroit who is going to get pressure up the middle.

Sigh, that will be like when Broncos/Jets fans were chanting for Tebow.

Or similar to how some might insist J'Marcus Webb was NFL caliber? <_>

I don't see the comparison you illustrate but as they say in France; C'est la vie.

I kinda wish McCown was starting this week. I don't think he would have had a good game against a team like Detroit who is going to get pressure up the middle.

I agree with you. Perhaps this 'debate' would be put to rest. On the other hand, it may have only perpetuated it. But.......if for no other reason than to keep Cutler healthy, I would rather he (Cutler) wait it out another week. My fingers and toes will be crossed that not only will he excel, but he will stay healthy doing it.

I don't see the comparison you illustrate but as they say in France; C'est la vie.

I agree with you. Perhaps this 'debate' would be put to rest. On the other hand, it may have only perpetuated it. But.......if for no other reason than to keep Cutler healthy, I would rather he (Cutler) wait it out another week. My fingers and toes will be crossed that not only will he excel, but he will stay healthy doing it.

History would find it shocking that I agree with the post above, but I do….I would have preferred to see McCown have another go and see what he did…quite sure Cutler is rushing back for a reason.

History would find it shocking that I agree with the post above, but I do….I would have preferred to see McCown have another go and see what he did…quite sure Cutler is rushing back for a reason.

Thing is, Marshall was predicting he'd be back in 2 weeks before Josh put up good numbers against a mediocre defense. So it's not like all of a sudden he's healthy because of Josh's success.

Lol you musta missed the Minnesota game yesterday, announcers brought up Webbs name a few times and he was even highlighted. Didn't give up a single QB hit.

Lol and while were talking last nights game did you see Ponder and Cassel complete 21 of 27 passes against that tough Washington D? Man, those guys are goood, that's a higher percentage than McCown completed against them!! Maybe we should try to get one of those guys to start!!