Santa, all I want for Christmas

adam

Fabrication? Even though we were down 21 after one Cutler pass, that was still 2 drives; and we now count a fumble on a kickoff as a drive? That makes sense. Cutler was in on 4 straight drives that yielded 0 points and 4 punts. How is that fabricating anything? He had a chance after every Philly score except for the fumble to bring us back yet he did nothing. So based on some of the comments, once a team gets a big lead and the defense pins their ears back, it's game over. There is nothing an offense can do with Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett.

Why is questioning the play of the QB make someone a hater? I want Cutler to succeed because that equals wins for us, but when he is clearly part of the problem, along with many others, he should be held accountable.

The back to back sacks you speak of. If you want to hold ppl accountable then blame the oline unless you completely missed how those guys came in free on cutler. How is that not on oline/forte. Everyone agrees cutler was not the problem last night except you.

He scored 11 points against the worst ranked passing defense in the league. He doesn't give the Bears their best chance to win. The game wasn't his fault but he did nothing to win it.

We would have lost if McCown was starting too, the defense was that bad, special teams sucked. Cutler did not play well, but Josh is not the second coming of Tom Brady.

We would have lost if McCown was starting too, the defense was that bad, special teams sucked. Cutler did not play well, but Josh is not the second coming of Tom Brady.

The totally think we will play well this week after the abuse we had in Philly. Most teams that get there ass kicked play well the next week. A pride thing I think. Philly get broadsided by Minny and came back with a vengeance. Philly stength was our weakness and we just got butt hosed. It happens some time.

Let's dispatch with this fabrication immediately.

First drive, a run, a scramble and a sack.

Second drive never happened, Hester fumbled.

Third drive, two runs and a one hop pass to Bennett who couldn't come up with it.

That's one Cutler "bad" pass and we were down by 21.

No picks. His scramble was him trying to make something happen. The sack wasn't his fault. Not that one.

I don't want to be a Cutler apologist, I just want fairness. He's not my favorite Bear. I dislike him personally fairly often. But his team gave up 54 points last night! Jesus Christ.

Please allow me to play devils advocate.

Drive 1: what if the two failed pass plays were because Cutler blew the hot read our audibled out of a positive play? What if he would've gotten a first down our two. God forbid a TD? A first down could have quieted the energy in the crowd and changed ours. Who knows, they may not have started their epic run.

Drive 2: maybe Hester doesn't put the ball on the ground trying to make a play. Never know...

Drive 3: etc...

Just saying there are many talks that can be told. I'd really live to see coaches film on that game. Like I said in another post. It's not on Cutler, but he played a role in the 54 we got hung on us.

Please allow me to play devils advocate.

Drive 1: what if the two failed pass plays were because Cutler blew the hot read our audibled out of a positive play? What if he would've gotten a first down our two. God forbid a TD? A first down could have quieted the energy in the crowd and changed ours. Who knows, they may not have started their epic run.

Drive 2: maybe Hester doesn't put the ball on the ground trying to make a play. Never know...

Drive 3: etc...

Just saying there are many talks that can be told. I'd really live to see coaches film on that game. Like I said in another post. It's not on Cutler, but he played a role in the 54 we got hung on us.

Boy now your playing what if games. Come on man. What if trestman didn't kick that long fg. Why play fantasy land

Everyone agrees cutler was not the problem last night except you.

I won't echo all of what Adam has said because I agree mostly to his points. Cutler certainly did no favors for the team last night. He looked and played lackluster. Yes there were some other issues to overcome (poor punt and Hester fumble) but when he had the ball he didn't show/exhibit a sense of urgency. Now keep in mind, many of you consider him the "franchise QB" and last night he fell far short.

Now the question is; does the team let him play next week to "prove himself" and risk missing the playoffs or go with the "hot hand" in McCown? For the future of the franchise I say Cutler.

Boy now your playing what if games. Come on man. What if trestman didn't kick that long fg. Why play fantasy land

Actually, I think his point is that assumptions can be off the mark and there are assumptions that both sides are presenting as fact, which is what he meant by wanting to see coaches film instead. But then, most everything on these forums is just speculation. It's the nature of the beast.

My two cents is that we need to see Cutler again, so I'm happy he's getting the start. He gets to decide his own fate, to whatever extent is still possible, by trying to play well in a huuuge game and hopefully in the playoffs too. If he succeeds, things will get interesting with respect to his contract negotiations, and if he falls short, it'll come down to what he's willing to settle for...just like I've said all along.

I also think some of you may be taking it for granted the ease in securing Josh's services. What if he hypothetically has another great game against Green Bay, then plays decent in the first playoff game and we lose? Matt Flynn started one game in 2010 and got ~7 mil/yr for 3 years. One game! Josh already has the equivalent of 6 starts with ~110 QBR. In that hypothetical situation where Josh plays well overall in two huge nationally televised games, his price will skyrocket, assuming it's not already on its way. And all we get out of it is a playoff loss. (Does anyone think this defense is Super Bowl worthy?)

We know Josh can run this offense as a good-value starter. Can Jay be a franchise QB? We're in the middle of seeing right now.

Actually, I think his point is that assumptions can be off the mark and there are assumptions that both sides are presenting as fact, which is what he meant by wanting to see coaches film instead. But then, most everything on these forums is just speculation. It's the nature of the beast.

My two cents is that we need to see Cutler again, so I'm happy he's getting the start. He gets to decide his own fate, to whatever extent is still possible, by trying to play well in a huuuge game and hopefully in the playoffs too. If he succeeds, things will get interesting with respect to his contract negotiations, and if he falls short, it'll come down to what he's willing to settle for...just like I've said all along.

I also think some of you may be taking it for granted the ease in securing Josh's services. What if he hypothetically has another great game against Green Bay, then plays decent in the first playoff game and we lose? Matt Flynn started one game in 2010 and got ~7 mil/yr for 3 years. One game! Josh already has the equivalent of 6 starts with ~110 QBR. In that hypothetical situation where Josh plays well overall in two huge nationally televised games, his price will skyrocket, assuming it's not already on its way. And all we get out of it is a playoff loss. (Does anyone think this defense is Super Bowl worthy?)

We know Josh can run this offense as a good-value starter. Can Jay be a franchise QB? We're in the middle of seeing right now.

The only difference between Josh and Flynn is age. He was signed to a large contract due to potential and age. I agree though that McCown may out-price the Bears cap unless Cutler signs a team friendly deal.

I understand the need to see Cutler, but is a potential playoff berth and possible playoff run (who knows) worth the risk? So we are led to believe that the team does not know what they have in Cutler already and need another high leverage game to (discount) double check his resume? To me that makes no sense. The team already has their mind made up and by the looks of it, Cutler is their guy.

The only difference between Josh and Flynn is age. He was signed to a large contract due to potential and age. I agree though that McCown may out-price the Bears cap unless Cutler signs a team friendly deal.

I understand the need to see Cutler, but is a potential playoff berth and possible playoff run (who knows) worth the risk? So we are led to believe that the team does not know what they have in Cutler already and need another high leverage game to (discount) double check his resume? To me that makes no sense. The team already has their mind made up and by the looks of it, Cutler is their guy.

Mccown isn't going to get the $7M a yr that Flynn got. Everyone though then that Flynn wasn't worth it. He was 27 at start of that contract. Mccown will be 35. I can't see teams going there at all. But more to your point of is it worth it. Let's say your right that team has made up its mind and jay is there guy. So what do you think happens if team says that like they have but bench him to go with josh for biggest game of the season. What kind of msg do you think that sends to jay. You basically guarantee jay walks at end of yr unless we tag him. Then your talking about spending $16+ nxt yr on a guy who doesn't want to be here thus setting the franchise back even further

Not that my opinion matters much, but I am with Adam on this. He stated Cutler did not lose the game by himself. It was a team loss. Fine if Cutler plays against GB; I hope he lights their asses up. What bums me is that I don't think Cutler will ever reach the level we would like from him. I still think this franchise wrecked him. Maybe a second season under Trestman with these weapons will help, since there aren't many attractive alternatives. It will all play out.

I suspect as long as Cutler is a Bear we will never see the quarterback his potential said he should have been.

I won't echo all of what Adam has said because I agree mostly to his points. Cutler certainly did no favors for the team last night. He looked and played lackluster. Yes there were some other issues to overcome (poor punt and Hester fumble) but when he had the ball he didn't show/exhibit a sense of urgency. Now keep in mind, many of you consider him the "franchise QB" and last night he fell far short.

Now the question is; does the team let him play next week to "prove himself" and risk missing the playoffs or go with the "hot hand" in McCown? For the future of the franchise I say Cutler.

That question has already been answered sir. It's Cutler.

Yesterdays game was just really tough for any QB to produce in.

Not that my opinion matters much, but I am with Adam on this. He stated Cutler did not lose the game by himself. It was a team loss. Fine if Cutler plays against GB; I hope he lights their asses up. What bums me is that I don't think Cutler will ever reach the level we would like from him. I still think this franchise wrecked him. Maybe a second season under Trestman with these weapons will help, since there aren't many attractive alternatives. It will all play out.

I suspect as long as Cutler is a Bear we will never see the quarterback his potential said he should have been.

I agree it was a team loss. Question is what did we expect. The way ppl talked of him when we traded for him he was the ultimate saviour. He was so great didn't matter the surrounding cast. He was gonna go for 4500-5000 yds and 40 scores. The hype was unreal. He always been a gun slinger, a hot head. Willing to take chances because he trusted his arm. I was thinking that he would be able to break Kramer's record for yds in season. But I also thought we would be able to surround him with more than Hester to throw to. I do agree that I think the previous regime ruined him. Question is can he get closer to what he should be. For me that's 4200 yds and 30 scores with 12-15 picks. 1 problem I have is that injuries seem to follow him

I agree it was a team loss. Question is what did we expect. The way ppl talked of him when we traded for him he was the ultimate saviour. He was so great didn't matter the surrounding cast. He was gonna go for 4500-5000 yds and 40 scores. The hype was unreal. He always been a gun slinger, a hot head. Willing to take chances because he trusted his arm. I was thinking that he would be able to break Kramer's record for yds in season. But I also thought we would be able to surround him with more than Hester to throw to. I do agree that I think the previous regime ruined him. Question is can he get closer to what he should be. For me that's 4200 yds and 30 scores with 12-15 picks. 1 problem I have is that injuries seem to follow him

Yep add the injuries to the equation and it does not look too good long term

Yep add the injuries to the equation and it does not look too good long term

Problem I have moving forward is what's the plan if jay walks. He's best qb we've had in some 40-50 yrs. And jay still has a good 5 yrs in him. Josh ain't a long term plan and I don't that guy in the draft that we could get. And god forbid we miss in draft then we are right back where we have been for a very long time

I thought I heard skins want a 1st especially with rg3 struggles

For a QB that hasn't been that good and was just a 4th round pick 2 years ago that's an awful lot to ask for.

I'd take him for a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if Trestman likes him more some of the projected 2/3R guys in the draft.

I'm still rather fond of this years draft class, I think if the Bears really wanted to they can draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th and whoever they get will still thrive in this offense. A LOT of talent available in this draft.

Problem I have moving forward is what's the plan if jay walks. He's best qb we've had in some 40-50 yrs. And jay still has a good 5 yrs in him. Josh ain't a long term plan and I don't that guy in the draft that we could get. And god forbid we miss in draft then we are right back where we have been for a very long time

I totally agree with you. We dont want to fall back into QB hell, banking a draft pick being a star and Josh substaining his play are very risky.

I totally agree with you. We dont want to fall back into QB hell, banking a draft pick being a star and Josh substaining his play are very risky.

"Six one, half dozen the other", 'catch-22' ... Whatever the idiom, Trestman and Emery have their work cut out for them. Do you pay Cutler the money he "deserves" as a Franchise QB and skimp on the D or dump him and save money to invest in what is obviously a gaping hole right now?

As I pointed out previous, I feel that the team needs to start Cutler on. Sunday against the Packers. Not because he is the better QB right now, but because (potentially) he could be for the longer run. Do I think McCown is capable of 'caretaker status' until either a draft pick or a trade (like Cousins ) are able to take over? Most undoubtedly 'yes'. In my mind option 2 is slightly better than the first . We'll have to wait to see what the "professionals" think.