interesting look at josh mccown

Lucky Luciano

read this on the nfl.com website:

Bears' Josh McCown not positive he'll play next season

By Kevin Patra

Buried deep in the debate about Jay Cutler's future with the Chicago Bears is an assumption that the team easily could bring back quarterback Josh McCown if it let Cutler walk.

One problem with that assumption is McCown sounds perfectly comfortable with possibly not playing in the NFL next season. For the 34-year-old quarterback, family is more important that his job.

"It's a year-to-year thing of how long is this going to be," McCown told the Chicago Sun-Times. "In our minds, when we commit to it, it's for a year. So to be apart like this, it's a tough deal. But it's something everybody (in my family) talks about, including my daughter, my oldest, especially, just sitting with her, 'Is all this OK? Are you cool with this?' So she's been great with it all.

"But for me, I know that there is a time coming where it's going to get harder and harder. I kind of have a thought process in my mind of: I don't know if I want to do this and let her get out of my house having done this the last four years where we live apart.

"There's not enough money in the world to justify and make it feel OK to miss those games and stuff like that. It's a process. It's things that we think about, quite honestly, moving forward in my career in the direction, 'Are we going to keep playing?' All those things, because it's a real question, because those things are hard."

The future free agent has a job in the NFL if he wants one next season -- with the Bears or elsewhere. Every team needs a reliable veteran backup, and those have proven to be in short supply this season.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000030...lay-next-season

well, that could change a lot of thoughts on where this franchise should go this offseason.

Wouldn't he be the backup, short-term answer anyway? If Cutler implodes Sunday and it escalates to an untenable situation, McCown is the short-term starter while a drafted rookie works into the role. If Cutler stays, there are other options out there going forward as to the backup.

This changes nothing.

If Cutler does well, he's the franchise guy and McCown is the backup.

If Cutler bombs and the organization loses faith, the Bears will be drafting a franchise QB regardless of whether McCown is around.

I agree, basically McCown has a job if he wants one in Chicago. He can also probably get picked up by a team closer to his family if he so chooses.

This changes nothing.

If Cutler does well, he's the franchise guy and McCown is the backup.

If Cutler bombs and the organization loses faith, the Bears will be drafting a franchise QB regardless of whether McCown is around.

in my opinion it does change everything. if mccown is not an option for the next 1-2 years we have 3 options even if cutler plays poorly next week...

1. we sign cutler anyway to a reasonable contract and if trestman is half of what everyone says he is he can clean up cutlers game next season. if he can't at least it buys us time. this gives us 3 years to look for his replacement.

2. we dump cutler and MAYBE mccown plays out 1 more year at a higher contract. if this happens we HAVE to waste a top pick on the QB position. where we are going to pick is HIGH RISK we find a franchise quarterback in that slot or even one that is serviceable. the only option i see in this scenario is we move *up drastically to pick a qb with high potential in the first. if mccown stays we have a 1 year window to make this guy able to play at a high level. if mccown leaves we are throwing this guy in the fire and hoping for the best with no credible backup.

if we lose our picks on defense this year for a qb we are up against the wall for emery to bring in GOOD stop gap aging players. if we do this again we are up against the wall cap-wise.

option 2 is rolling the dice for this franchise. if it does NOT work out with a high draft pick qb we have just sentenced ourselves to hell for at least 3-4 years with the same type of qb mutts we have fielded for nearly 30 years and no #1 pick next year.

3. we bring in a **journeyman qb in free agency and seriously GAMBLE this guy can play at a high level. if he can't even playout as average we end up with the same scenario as in #2. by this time our offense is aging and current contracts are up. we end up without marshall and probably forte and no serviceable qb.

*we may not even HAVE enough to do this and if we do that will kill our 2nd and/or 3rd round pick and probably next years first to do it.

** to find a franchise quality qb not in his last season or two in the nfl is RARE. only angelo could have blown that scenario by not picking up brees.

I agree, basically McCown has a job if he wants one in Chicago. He can also probably get picked up by a team closer to his family if he so chooses.

That and if he's offered 2 years 6 million, he'll move his family for a couple of years of that. What kid wouldn't say "go for it dad"! Wink wink hint...

That and if he's offered 2 years 6 million, he'll move his family for a couple of years of that. What kid wouldn't say "go for it dad"! Wink wink hint...

He is negotiating for a larger contract. Teacher pay is only around 40,000 a year, I think he will play for a couple more years at 1.5 a year.

He is negotiating for a larger contract. Teacher pay is only around 40,000 a year, I think he will play for a couple more years at 1.5 a year.

McCown doesn't seem like the type of guy who's going to plant seeds in hopes of getting a larger contract. I think he's being genuine when he says he might not return.

McCown doesn't seem like the type of guy who's going to plant seeds in hopes of getting a larger contract. I think he's being genuine when he says he might not return.

I took it same exact way. Makes me like him even more. Love guys like that isn't just in it for the $$ and has no problem walking away from a multi yr deal.

I think at his age, they will always look at it that way, but he wont be returning as a starter, just a backup, and I dont think he turns down the money.

in my opinion it does change everything. if mccown is not an option for the next 1-2 years we have 3 options even if cutler plays poorly next week...

1. we sign cutler anyway to a reasonable contract and if trestman is half of what everyone says he is he can clean up cutlers game next season. if he can't at least it buys us time. this gives us 3 years to look for his replacement.

This option happens regardless of McCown.

2. we dump cutler and MAYBE mccown plays out 1 more year at a higher contract. if this happens we HAVE to waste a top pick on the QB position. where we are going to pick is HIGH RISK we find a franchise quarterback in that slot or even one that is serviceable. the only option i see in this scenario is we move *up drastically to pick a qb with high potential in the first. if mccown stays we have a 1 year window to make this guy able to play at a high level. if mccown leaves we are throwing this guy in the fire and hoping for the best with no credible backup.

if we lose our picks on defense this year for a qb we are up against the wall for emery to bring in GOOD stop gap aging players. if we do this again we are up against the wall cap-wise.

option 2 is rolling the dice for this franchise. if it does NOT work out with a high draft pick qb we have just sentenced ourselves to hell for at least 3-4 years with the same type of qb mutts we have fielded for nearly 30 years and no #1 pick next year.

If the Bears dump Cutler, they are using a high pick on QB regardless of whether McCown is back. You've basically said it yourself. So it doesn't matter if McCown stays. Cutler gone = Highly drafted QB

3. we bring in a **journeyman qb in free agency and seriously GAMBLE this guy can play at a high level. if he can't even playout as average we end up with the same scenario as in #2. by this time our offense is aging and current contracts are up. we end up without marshall and probably forte and no serviceable qb.

*we may not even HAVE enough to do this and if we do that will kill our 2nd and/or 3rd round pick and probably next years first to do it.

** to find a franchise quality qb not in his last season or two in the nfl is RARE. only angelo could have blown that scenario by not picking up brees.

I assume this is a scenario where Cutler and McCown are gone. If so, then McCown being gone doesn't matter, because the Bears are still forced to use a high draft pick on a QB. Journeyman or not.

To summarize:

Cutler + McCown = No high draft pick necessary

Cutler - McCown = No high draft pick necessary

-Cutler + McCown = High draft pick necessary

-Cutler - McCown = High draft pick necessary

The best near term scenario is keeping Cutler. He is not going to command a huge contract. For one thing he is still one of the most hated players around the league among fans. I still hear crap about him every day at work from Cardinals fans of all places. The translation here is that a new head coach and GM on the bottom 10 teams, among those needing a QB, is more likely to hitch his wagon to a young rookie QB and/or the mid-tier vet FA QB rather than go down the rabbit hole with Cutler. I don't think Cutler's value will be as high as some might be thinking among FAs.

Now he's still starter material in the league and will attract some attention but it is more likely with the middle tier teams that can compete for the playoffs if they have a decent QB. Teams like Minnesota fit this scenario. Yet these teams, like the Bears are more likely to hedge their bets on the "iffy" vet QB (Cutler, Schaub) and won't offer a top tier contract. They are going to look for the same thing the Bears should want: ~3 years of production and time to find the next QB. If Cutler pans out you pay him early and keep him. Quality backup QBs are always a valuable trade commodity.

Even if it were a bottom 10 team that went after him, like the Jaguars, I can't see them throwing $17+mil/yr for 5 years at Cutler thinking he'll fix all their problems when they know he might cause just as many as he fixes. That's where I see the market for Cutler. I also believe Cutler knows his best chance to have elite success in the near future is with the current system and players he has around him. I believe he wants his name "cleared" far more than people realize.

They will get a deal done that works for both sides because it makes sense for both sides. If in 3 years it hasn't worked out Cutler will still be young enough to get another decent deal and opportunity elsewhere.

To summarize:

Cutler + McCown = No high draft pick necessary

Cutler - McCown = No high draft pick necessary

-Cutler + McCown = High draft pick necessary

-Cutler - McCown = High draft pick necessary

i didn't explain it i guess very well in my post. mccnown to me is a key part of this puzzle if cutler goes.

the difference with mccown in chicago for 2+ years if we let cutler go is we have an option to draft a qb at the slot we pick or POSSIBLY in a later round (i still would try to move up myself anyway). it gives us time for a project qb that can be groomed for a season or two behind mccown who equals someone who at least can play average ball at qb.

without mccown for that time period, and we draft a project qb, we are basically screwed. our defense is in shambles and can't compensate for this training period. in fact we will have put our defense back a year by using our highest pick for a qb so if this happens we are in total rebuild mode with neither side of the ball playing at a high level.

I simply think it's an awe shucks negotiating tactic. Heck, McCown probably doesn't even have a real agent. He'll sign at a price he and the Bears like and there won't be a bit of it in the media until it's done. I'm 99 percent sure of it.

Maybe I don't understand you. Why would he make an aw-shucks media ploy, only to avoid pretending to follow through on it or any such ploys in the future and get a deal done amicably?

I believe him. He's not in the position where he needs to make ploys. He's going to make some dough if he wants it.

My first thought when I heard this was, dang, we've lost a potential QB for the next few years (if he's serious...even if he's not, what GM would trust a guy who talks like that?). My next thought was, dang, Cutler's price just went up. Double-whammy.

Also, to add to what Luciano is saying, yeah, we're spending a "high" QB pick either way. McCown is old and unproven over time. But he's also played like one of the best QB's in the league for us, and I see no indications he couldn't play for another half-decade if the talent is there. There's a big difference in how pressing and how "high" that pick has to be this very next year...depending on whether McCown is a reasonable option for the future, and him talking about not wanting to play doesn't sound promising.