Was there any talk on Peppers?

Guest TerraTor

Yes we need to keep him until after the draft/FA to see if we can a good DE....if we cant or don't then offer him a restructured contract.

The problem is you'd really like to restructure him before the FA period starts if you're going to do so because otherwise you have $20 million sitting there against next year's cap.

The problem is you'd really like to restructure him before the FA period starts if you're going to do so because otherwise you have $20 million sitting there against next year's cap.

Yep, I think they restructure him right now. Wouldn't surprise me if that was one of the next things we hear out of Halas Hall.

His play did improve a bit toward the end of the season. He's worthy of a three year deal if they think he can produce anywhere near his production before this season. Otherwise, he's gone.

Yep, I think they restructure him right now. Wouldn't surprise me if that was one of the next things we hear out of Halas Hall.

His play did improve a bit toward the end of the season. He's worthy of a three year deal if they think he can produce anywhere near his production before this season. Otherwise, he's gone.

He was the only defender to earn his pay last Sunday

Disagree there. He made the play happen. Moron safety

Not sure where you played football but when cut blocked you are taught to throw push him into the ground and move outside to keep contain. He chose to dive over the cut block. Rodgers side stepped to the open throwing lane and let it rip. Had Peppers played it right Rodgers Would have walked right into him.

Also taught to never leave your feet!

Bingo! He sold out by leaping...had he not leaped, he may have more negatively infulenced Rodgers' ability to throw. Instead, he got a clear window.

Not sure where you played football but when cut blocked you are taught to throw push him into the ground and move outside to keep contain. He chose to dive over the cut block. Rodgers side stepped to the open throwing lane and let it rip. Had Peppers played it right Rodgers Would have walked right into him.

That may have been true in high school, not the NFL. Players have to do extraordinary things to make a difference. Peppers job on that play was to get there and disrupt. Check. Kuhn made a miraculous block, plain and simple. Rodgers even said so. Rodgers said they were fooled by the blitz and we're fortunate to have success on that play. If you want to blame anyone up front, take a pick of the rest of those that didn't get there.

That may have been true in high school, not the NFL. Players have to do extraordinary things to make a difference. Peppers job on that play was to get there and disrupt. Check. Kuhn made a miraculous block, plain and simple. Rodgers even said so. Rodgers said they were fooled by the blitz and we're fortunate to have success on that play. If you want to blame anyone up front, take a pick of the rest of those that didn't get there.

You cant cut block in highschool, college and pros. I was taught the correct way to play against the cut block in college.

If you watch the play over Peppers came free and looked like he would have a sack until he left his feet.

You cant cut block in highschool, college and pros. I was taught the correct way to play against the cut block in college.

If you watch the play over Peppers came free and looked like he would have a sack until he left his feet.

I think if you look at again, he really wasn't in a position to do anything else.

The GB player made a great play on Peppers. That's it. Emery talked about Peppers and said that Peppers had an 8-8 season just like everyone else. I think it would be wise to bring Pepp back but he'll need to restructure and hopefully he will. Is Wooten under contract? He is, right? I don't think we can afford to be replacing an entire line, I'd think we'd start by replacing 2 players on the d-line and adding depth.

A lot of the defensive needs will be determined based upon what Phil/Trest decide the strategy will be going forward. It sounds like Shea/Bostic are both going to move outside which might mean Briggs is on his way out. That said, Emery was pretty damn complimenting of Briggs and Briggs could be a pretty good player as one of the two interior LB's in a 3-4. I'd really love Peanut back as our safety. Dline has to be fixed and DT has to be the biggest priority. I think we will sign Bennett's brother and then focus heavily on the tackle / lb position in the draft. Would be curious if we make a run at Byrd for safety as clearly we have to make some changes their as well.

The GB player made a great play on Peppers. That's it. Emery talked about Peppers and said that Peppers had an 8-8 season just like everyone else. I think it would be wise to bring Pepp back but he'll need to restructure and hopefully he will. Is Wooten under contract? He is, right? I don't think we can afford to be replacing an entire line, I'd think we'd start by replacing 2 players on the d-line and adding depth.

A lot of the defensive needs will be determined based upon what Phil/Trest decide the strategy will be going forward. It sounds like Shea/Bostic are both going to move outside which might mean Briggs is on his way out. That said, Emery was pretty damn complimenting of Briggs and Briggs could be a pretty good player as one of the two interior LB's in a 3-4. I'd really love Peanut back as our safety. Dline has to be fixed and DT has to be the biggest priority. I think we will sign Bennett's brother and then focus heavily on the tackle / lb position in the draft. Would be curious if we make a run at Byrd for safety as clearly we have to make some changes their as well.

Paying Cutler will limit us on many big signings. One pass rusher and will go after the 1 mil. contracts to add the depth. The draft will be key, have to get 3 defensive starters out of it. I think with SMC going to OLB and Bostic also, Briggs may be on his way out. He will only cost 1 mil. against the cap. I think it is time to get rid of our old crap and bring in some new crap to get our dandruff up.

Paying Cutler will limit us on many big signings. One pass rusher and will go after the 1 mil. contracts to add the depth. The draft will be key, have to get 3 defensive starters out of it. I think with SMC going to OLB and Bostic also, Briggs may be on his way out. He will only cost 1 mil. against the cap. I think it is time to get rid of our old crap and bring in some new crap to get our dandruff up.

I wonder how Kaseem Greene would do in the 3-4 as an ILB. Bostic/McClellin as OLB, Briggs/Greene ILB, Ratliff NT, Peppers/Wootten DE. Draft S and CB, and depth to groom.

I wonder how Kaseem Greene would do in the 3-4 as an ILB. Bostic/McClellin as OLB, Briggs/Greene ILB, Ratliff NT, Peppers/Wootten DE. Draft S and CB, and depth to groom.

When have the Bears run a 3-4 D? Did they run some 3-4 when Keith Traylor was here?

The tradition of great MLB's coming to an end? Not sure how I feel about that just to address a mistake our GM made in a draft.

Guest TerraTor

I think Kuhn just made a crazy.cut block.

When have the Bears run a 3-4 D? Did they run some 3-4 when Keith Traylor was here?

The tradition of great MLB's coming Tom an end? Not sure how I feel about that just to address a mistake our GM made in a draft.

I think its something being considered heavily. Bostic moving outside has been mentioned. McCLellin moving to LB. Trestman saying how preparing the O against the 3-4 as being difficult to pick up the rush. I think tradition of having great LBs can continue, just not as MLB.

What big signings are we going to get? We need DL help. We can try to pry Byrd, but he's only as good as our DL is.

We need a youth movement, and that will be done int he draft. If Emery fails, we will need a new GM.

Actually answering question in thread title

Set to count $18.183 million against the team’s cap in 2013, Peppers could be asked to restructure his deal to clear some space. But it’s worth noting that prior to announcing deals Thursday for quarterback Jay Cutler, cornerback Tim Jennings and guard Matt Slauson, the Bears had $80,313,001 committed to the 2013 cap, which ranked as second lowest in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Also, the club remains in the process of performing a self evaluation, a process that involves assessment of every player on the roster.

“I’m not going to get into contracts,” Bears general manager Phil Emery said. “He’s under contract. Julius had an 8-8 year like all of us, like I did, and that’s where he’s at.”

“I’m not sure, I don’t know [what’s going to happen],” Peppers said Sunday when asked about his future. “I’m in a contract. You’ll need to talk to a decision-maker about that.”

Peppers’ production in 2014 seemed par for the course for a player on an 8-8 team, but Emery stressed he doesn’t consider the defensive end an 8-8 player.

“I didn’t say he was an 8-8 defensive end. I said he had an 8-8 season, to correct that,” Emery said. “That’s a whole lot different. Obviously, Julius had a lot of good games like a lot of our players, and he had games that he would want back, and I think Julius would say that, too. We will work through each and every player on our squad and to determine where we’re going with him in the future, and that process is going to take time. But Julius is under contract. We’re proud that he’s a Bear, and that’s where we’re at.”

1) No more excuses for Peppers bad play. Cut block or not he was pushed around most of the day by the Packers and not with double teams. He is not the same player and we don't need that level of play from anyone on our roster much less someone making $18mil. Perhaps I'm the only one who noticed how teams like to run at Peppers this season. It wasn't that way before. Of course they like to run at anyone on our Dline but you'd think if Peppers was anything close to what he's been in past seasons they'd just go take the easy pickings up the middle or off RT. Yet they didn't. Wootton is more than capable of replacing Peppers production (46 tackles, 7.5 sacks) for a lot less money.

2) LT2 has corrected me in the past on this and I'm sure he'll do so again but I'm pretty sure at this point we don't have much of an option on restructuring Peppers deal. Maybe we could do something by extending his deal but after what little he's done this season why in the world would we want to cripple our salary cap 3 or 4 years down the road by doing that? Cut him, take the cap hit and replace his production with someone who makes a few million. Extra cap space freed up goes to fix DT, or even add another DE. Or two because with SMC moving out of DE we need 3 DEs added to our roster unless one of the young guys steps up.

2) LT2 has corrected me in the past on this and I'm sure he'll do so again but I'm pretty sure at this point we don't have much of an option on restructuring Peppers deal. Maybe we could do something by extending his deal but after what little he's done this season why in the world would we want to cripple our salary cap 3 or 4 years down the road by doing that? Cut him, take the cap hit and replace his production with someone who makes a few million. Extra cap space freed up goes to fix DT, or even add another DE. Or two because with SMC moving out of DE we need 3 DEs added to our roster unless one of the young guys steps up.

The problem I see with cutting him comes down to...$7.5 million is an absolutely enormous amount of dead cap space. IMO, that's half the amount that doomed the Redskins this season.

When you start talking about a frontloaded deal for Cutler with a high cap hit combined with $7.5 million in dead cap space and very little production from the last first round pick added to that defense...the Bears are left with a ton of positions to fill and very little money to fill it with.

On defense, they need minimum 2 DT's, 1 DE's, 1 LB's, and 1 CB at the starting level if they just want to fill out the roster, in addition to backups at basically every position, and that's keeping Conte and Wright as the starting safeties which I'm sure will thrill a lot of people. They were able to upgrade the O-Line and TE slots last year with a similar amount of cap space...but that's less than 1/2 the number of starting positions they need to fill on the defense right now.