FML, Entire staff is back for next year minus DL Coach...

Bears4Ever_34

But what exactly is he supposed to do? How should he have adjusted schematically? You guys keep saying this without backing it up with any logic.

How do you maximize the players he had to work with?? Should he have shifted to 3-4 midseason even though he didn't have the parts?

How do you max a team who is running out Peppers-Wootton-Paea-SMC as their best 4 guys. How can you possibly make that look good.

THE SAINTS HAD GOOD PLAYERS THAT PLAYED ALL SEASON, THE BEARS HAD BEAR POO.

Ha! There's truth to what you say above, Emery is certainly not without fault here. He's acknowledged that. I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to have seen better fundamentals which I do ascribe directly to coaching. So when a player, even a shitty one, is out of position over and over, or if an NFL player can't tackle, etc... I blame the coaches for the D and the buck doesn't stop, for me, with a few position coaches.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what exactly is he supposed to do? How should he have adjusted schematically? You guys keep saying this without backing it up with any logic.

How do you maximize the players he had to work with?? Should he have shifted to 3-4 midseason even though he didn't have the parts?

How do you max a team who is running out Peppers-Wootton-Paea-SMC as their best 4 guys. How can you possibly make that look good.

we got injured and old at the same time. a lack of leadership, poor drafting; everything hit all at once.we , no matter who the cordinator was we were going to be bad. lets see what they do, and see what happens. im in houduras and a little out of touch for a week.

we got injured and old at the same time. a lack of leadership, poor drafting; everything hit all at once.we , no matter who the cordinator was we were going to be bad. lets see what they do, and see what happens. im in houduras and a little out of touch for a week.

Ya, it really was a "perfect storm" so to speak.

Ya, it really was a "perfect storm" so to speak.

The writing was on the wall years ago. The failure was Angelo and the shape this team was left in. I am impressed at how this offense has turned around and it's in great shape for 2-3 years. On defense, they gambled on it holding up and that ended up being a bad bet. But, with contracts ending and your stars aging, they knew this year they would be addressing the D. They hired Tucker with knowledge of the Lovie era ending and a new one to begin. As much as I want a proven DC, I'm willing to give Trestman/Emery a chance to show why Tucker was brought in. The Lovie Era is now over, the Bears now have resources to implement step 2 on addressing defense and we should be excited to see what happens next.

I cannot say that I am a big supporter of Tucker, however, several things I would like to bring up.

2) Some have said that Tucker threw his coaches under the bus. I doubt very much it was Tucker's decision. I assume that either Trestman, Emery or both felt that for one reason or another these two position coaches who were let go failed to perform. Maybe these two guys were malcontents with Lovie's firing? Maybe it was felt the lack of fundamentals by the "replacement" players were significantly attributed to these position coaches. I do not know.

There's a lot of talk about Tucker throwing the position coaches under the bus. I've considered it myself. But step back for a minute and ask yourself this: If we're changing schemes to a 3-4, or even some sort of hybrid, which coaches on defense would you need to replace? I can't sit here in Arizona on a sunny 60 degree day (had to get that in) and say I know these guys backgrounds but here is what I'm thinking...

Is Phair a coach, who was brought in by Marinelli, more knowledgeable in the 4-3 scheme Lovie ran than he is the 3-4?

How about Tibesar? Is he a LB coach with experience in the 3-4?

As far as Hoke, the backend of a defense doesn't necessarily change….either man or some type of zone..if we go to a 3-4. We've mixed those up over the years despite all the sniping about cover 2.

Again, if we are changing our scheme then shouldn't we change to coaches who can coach the new scheme and have experience with it? There may be a lot less of "you suck" and more of "I need somebody else with more experience in the direction we're going."

For Tibesar I know nothing but the bad play of our rookies. Phair OTOH had some success developing Wooton and Melton, even made Collins into a good player for us. Seems like he might have deserved a second chance unless he doesn't have experience in the new scheme.

Trestman, Tucker, et al have been silent about our new direction. I'll be watching for who they are interviewing and their backgrounds to get an indication of where we are going in terms of our scheme.

Not running the Tampa 2 anymore as they didn't have the horses for the show after the injuries. These players have played football their entire life and I am sure they would have some idea if schemes were tweaked to adjust for injuries. Try not using such vanilla blitz schemes where you know exactly where the blitzer is coming from as a fan and the O I guarantee can tell. Not to mention they had lost the middle of their D, so instead of bringing random people up the middle they continued to blitz from the corners and as what was happening to the DE all the qb had to do was step up. That's just a few things off the top of my head, and I don't have access to study the film all week to see what was working and what wasn't working. I continued to see the EXACT same mistakes occurr over and over, which points to coaching or in this case lack there of. I understand with injuries there is going to be some dropoff in the D, but not the wheels fell off and the car exploded, almost worse defense in HISTORY,and was the worst D in Bears history, kind of dropoff. We are stuck with him for at least one more year so I too hope he figures it out. But again his track record just doesn't show it is going to happen. :cheers Here's to them hopefully getting the right pieces in place and finally making it to the promised land. :)

Fantastic argument here. A whole lot of irrelevant references. And if it "reeks of Lovie" isn't that a good thing since ya know, everyone wishes Lovie was still here calling the D?

What system best fits a team that ran out a DL of an aging/declining Julius Peppers, an undersized Corey Wootton playing DT, Stephen Paea who was dealing with turf toe issues, and SMC who not even the almighty Lovie Smith got shit out of?

Should they have switched to a 3-4 mid season? Has that ever even been done??

I'm amazed sometimes at how easily you miss the point. The references aren't irrelevant. They are specific players with specific skills who were or would be used incorrectly. That's about coaching.

As for the Lovie point, there's no doubt that Lovie was better at running that defense than Tucker was, but let's not pretend that absolves him of all faults. One of his major faults was that his system didn't work when he didn't have the key studs at key positions, and when those guys were gone, he reverted to "We need to execute." Which of course was a cop out.

Saying the same thing as an excuse for the abysmal 2013 defense is also a cop out. Good coaching could have at least made the defense subpar, maybe even average. Bad coaching resulted in a historically bad defense.

Tim Jennings probowl player, Julius Peppers, probowl player, Tillman for most the season, probowl player, 2nd round pick Bostic, first round pick Shea Mcclellon Funny how you pick and choose what to remember. And those snubs weren't anything last year until they were taught and put into position to succeed by the DC, which didn't happen in Chicago with JMarcus Tucker running things.

LOL!!!! JMarcus Tucker. Classic.

It's difficult to say exactly what he should have done, but he certainly shouldn't have switched to the 3-4 mid-season. That would have been chaotic.

What I've always seen, from pee-wee to the pros, is that pressure creates problems. With that in mind, if I were Tucker I would have done the following:

1) More stunts. Causing OL confusion may have maximized pressure.

2) More blitzes. It leaves the DBs on an island at times, but the rushing D was the historically bad side that needed help. More people coming forward means less holes to hit.

3) More unbalanced zone blitzes. Since SMC is a glorified LB anyway, this would have worked well. The Seahawks did this a time or two against Kapernick this weekend with great results.

4) More focus on attacking gaps. Too often I saw the Bears defenders stacked up one-on-one because they were trying to go through someone. By attacking gaps you dictate to the offense where you're going. Sometimes that opens the exact running hole where they want to run, but sometimes it doesn't. And when it does, I'd have a LB filling that hole aggressively.

The point to the above is, when you're down nine rounds to none, there's no sense in going with the same strategy in the tenth round. You have to go for the knock-out. In doing so, you take some chances, but you also have a better chance of winning via KO.

Good perspective.

If we can turn the offense around so quickly under the new regime...let's give them a chance to do it on D.

The writing was on the wall years ago. The failure was Angelo and the shape this team was left in. I am impressed at how this offense has turned around and it's in great shape for 2-3 years. On defense, they gambled on it holding up and that ended up being a bad bet. But, with contracts ending and your stars aging, they knew this year they would be addressing the D. They hired Tucker with knowledge of the Lovie era ending and a new one to begin. As much as I want a proven DC, I'm willing to give Trestman/Emery a chance to show why Tucker was brought in. The Lovie Era is now over, the Bears now have resources to implement step 2 on addressing defense and we should be excited to see what happens next.

:cheers

Not running the Tampa 2 anymore as they didn't have the horses for the show after the injuries. These players have played football their entire life and I am sure they would have some idea if schemes were tweaked to adjust for injuries. Try not using such vanilla blitz schemes where you know exactly where the blitzer is coming from as a fan and the O I guarantee can tell. Not to mention they had lost the middle of their D, so instead of bringing random people up the middle they continued to blitz from the corners and as what was happening to the DE all the qb had to do was step up. That's just a few things off the top of my head, and I don't have access to study the film all week to see what was working and what wasn't working. I continued to see the EXACT same mistakes occurr over and over, which points to coaching or in this case lack there of. I understand with injuries there is going to be some dropoff in the D, but not the wheels fell off and the car exploded, almost worse defense in HISTORY,and was the worst D in Bears history, kind of dropoff. We are stuck with him for at least one more year so I too hope he figures it out. But again his track record just doesn't show it is going to happen. :cheers Here's to them hopefully getting the right pieces in place and finally making it to the promised land. :)

I still can't get passed this. This is completely embarassing and i think most everyone knows I tend to be a pretty pro-coach guy and relatively patience in terms of coaching as I think consistency within organizations can be extremely beneficial (with the right people). However, Tucker & Decammilis were clear failures at pretty epic levels and it is completely inexcuseable in my opinion that this people retained their jobs.

Our Dline/LB coaches should be canned (production and development sucked; especially our LB coach). The lack of fundementals displayed on this defense (and our ST unit) was sickening and that is coaching, coaching, coaching. I wonder if Trestman's reputation in Canada caused the Bears to stick around for one more year (with a fear that no good DC would come here since Trestman cans them all the time).

Not running the Tampa 2 anymore as they didn't have the horses for the show after the injuries.

first and foremost - they didn't have the "horses" to run the lovie 2 since mike brown was done and tommy harris injured his knee 5-6 YEARS ago (in reality the system was antiquated 10 + years ago). this is just one major reason lovie was fired. he could NOT adjust his defense to the changing NFL or the personnel he was forced to play!!! he was a one trick pony trying to run in the kentucky derby.

so what do we do? emery wants to keep a bad system in play with even fewer players to fit the bad scheme and supposedly hires tucker because he will keep this system. why you ask? because he doesn't have the chops to design his own. so what does that tell you?

1. that emery just may be an idiot

2. that tucker doesn't have a freaking clue how to run a defense if he would agree to something this stupid and actually give us what we saw.

'These players have played football their entire life and I am sure they would have some idea if schemes were tweaked to adjust for injuries.

i totally agree. maybe someone can riddle me this...

our linebacker play was horrendous nearly all season long and especially in the middle. yet we keep bostic there, come hell or high water, and it is like not even having a linebacker on the field playing the middle he was so inconsequential.

i'm sure many will say 'well what could he do with all the injuries?' this is what i say…

LINEBACKERS:

move briggs in the middle. he would be out of position and it may take away from some of the quality of his play but SO WHAT? at least our BEST linebacker (a pro-bowler) can help control the middle and give support to the outside backers on plays going their way. what POSSIBLE good does it do keeping him on the weak side while the middle is a sieve?

you could have had briggs a pro-bowl vet in the middle with anderson a SEVEN year vet playing the strongside. this would have left a rotation on the weak side to find the guy who can play from bostic, greene or costanza.

this move by tucker, if he had a brain, would have not made our linebacking corp stellar but at this point bad would have been an improvement!!!

DEFENSIVE LINE:

i know scs787 keeps telling us our defensive line was riddled with injuries and with an aging peppers at DE it is impossible to fix. i say BS.

if you have injuries and look as BAD as our interior line looked with the tucker lineup here is what someone with a brain might do...

1. move your "aging peppers" to tackle. if he doesn't have the speed to pressure the qb on the edge then why in the hell not put him in the middle? he has played there in rotation under lovie. he is BIG. he is a pro-bowl caliber player who is smart. his size ALSO is a plus in short passes over the middle and he certainly couldn't play worse than paea. this gives us at least one solid tackle in the middle and instantly beefs up our line.

2. move the ONE player who is actually playing at least 'well' back to his ORIGINAL position. move wooten back to LDE. this solidifies the left side of our defensive line and stops those freaking runs around end every other play for a million yards.

3. RDE - you have two choices here...

move a horrible LDE, smc, to the weakside. this is traditionally where your speed ends rush the passer from and usually having to move through less traffic to get to the qb. if this ends up like his play on the left side then you might as well move him to a linebacker rotation. let him play the strong side backer position and put your veteran, anderson, on the right side. this beefs up your right side with a vet LB.

use a rotation of washington and bass until you can find one of them who can control the edge.

DEFENSIVE BACKS:

we have TWO good to good + veteran CB's and NO safeties. so what do you do? you move PEANUT to free safety. this solidifies the safety position and peanut with the nagging knee injuries can play center field where his speed is not as critical. he has the savvy to arrange either steltz, wright or conte into position not to mention he can direct BOWMAN, his replacement in the scheme.

CONCLUSION:

with these moves you go to the ground floor basics in practice every day to get these players comfortable with their new positions. will it take time to adjust? yes and their play probably won't be stellar and they will make mistakes in the first few games until they adjust. but at least they could NOT be worse than what we witnessed this season. historically BAD has a point where you try anything to at least improve in some aspects. you don't do like we did and just keep doing the same thing over and over.

will the players like it? probably not but that is what they get paid for. are we going to be a top 10 defense with this setup? no, but if we were ranked in the low teens to mid 20's it would have been a drastic improvement. this is where you separate the men from the boys in your coaching staff.

I continued to see the EXACT same mistakes occurr over and over, which points to coaching or in this case lack there of. I understand with injuries there is going to be some dropoff in the D, but not the wheels fell off and the car exploded, almost worse defense in HISTORY,and was the worst D in Bears history, kind of dropoff. We are stuck with him for at least one more year so I too hope he figures it out. But again his track record just doesn't show it is going to happen. :cheers Here's to them hopefully getting the right pieces in place and finally making it to the promised land. :)

agree. there was no improvement in any position or any player. that in itself would be nearly impossible to achieve. so i have to ask myself...

why are we keeping him, or for that matter, why did we hire him in the first place? it is a complete joke. i mean, just how bad do you have to be to get fired in this organization?

what people should be asking about tucker is just what is his ceiling as a coach that you are looking for? what is the base floor you are willing to accept? he has NEVER been a good coach and proved it this year. so why waste not only last season but the next TWO with a guy who has no potential??

mel tucker is TWO strikes against emery. one for hiring him and two for keeping him.

first and foremost - they didn't have the "horses" to run the lovie 2 since mike brown was done and tommy harris injured his knee 5-6 YEARS ago (in reality the system was antiquated 10 + years ago). this is just one major reason lovie was fired. he could NOT adjust his defense to the changing NFL or the personnel he was forced to play!!! he was a one trick pony trying to run in the kentucky derby.

so what do we do? emery wants to keep a bad system in play with even fewer players to fit the bad scheme and supposedly hires tucker because he will keep this system. why you ask? because he doesn't have the chops to design his own. so what does that tell you?

1. that emery just may be an idiot

2. that tucker doesn't have a freaking clue how to run a defense if he would agree to something this stupid and actually give us what we saw.

our linebacker play was horrendous nearly all season long and especially in the middle. yet we keep bostic there, come hell or high water, and it is like not even having a linebacker on the field playing the middle he was so inconsequential.

i'm sure many will say 'well what could he do with all the injuries?' this is what i say…

LINEBACKERS:

move briggs in the middle. he would be out of position and it may take away from some of the quality of his play but SO WHAT? at least our BEST linebacker (a pro-bowler) can help control the middle and give support to the outside backers on plays going their way. what POSSIBLE good does it do keeping him on the weak side while the middle is a sieve?

you could have had briggs a pro-bowl vet in the middle with anderson a SEVEN year vet playing the strongside. this would have left a rotation on the weak side to find the guy who can play from bostic, greene or costanza.

this move by tucker, if he had a brain, would have not made our linebacking corp stellar but at this point bad would have been an improvement!!!

DEFENSIVE LINE:

i know scs787 keeps telling us our defensive line was riddled with injuries and with an aging peppers at DE it is impossible to fix. i say BS.

if you have injuries and look as BAD as our interior line looked with the tucker lineup here is what someone with a brain might do...

1. move your "aging peppers" to tackle. if he doesn't have the speed to pressure the qb on the edge then why in the hell not put him in the middle? he has played there in rotation under lovie. he is BIG. he is a pro-bowl caliber player who is smart. his size ALSO is a plus in short passes over the middle and he certainly couldn't play worse than paea. this gives us at least one solid tackle in the middle and instantly beefs up our line.

2. move the ONE player who is actually playing at least 'well' back to his ORIGINAL position. move wooten back to LDE. this solidifies the left side of our defensive line and stops those freaking runs around end every other play for a million yards.

3. RDE - you have two choices here...

move a horrible LDE, smc, to the weakside. this is traditionally where your speed ends rush the passer from and usually having to move through less traffic to get to the qb. if this ends up like his play on the left side then you might as well move him to a linebacker rotation. let him play the strong side backer position and put your veteran, anderson, on the right side. this beefs up your right side with a vet LB.

use a rotation of washington and bass until you can find one of them who can control the edge.

DEFENSIVE BACKS:

we have TWO good to good + veteran CB's and NO safeties. so what do you do? you move PEANUT to free safety. this solidifies the safety position and peanut with the nagging knee injuries can play center field where his speed is not as critical. he has the savvy to arrange either steltz, wright or conte into position not to mention he can direct BOWMAN, his replacement in the scheme.

CONCLUSION:

with these moves you go to the ground floor basics in practice every day to get these players comfortable with their new positions. will it take time to adjust? yes and their play probably won't be stellar and they will make mistakes in the first few games until they adjust. but at least they could NOT be worse than what we witnessed this season. historically BAD has a point where you try anything to at least improve in some aspects. you don't do like we did and just keep doing the same thing over and over.

will the players like it? probably not but that is what they get paid for. are we going to be a top 10 defense with this setup? no, but if we were ranked in the low teens to mid 20's it would have been a drastic improvement. this is where you separate the men from the boys in your coaching staff.

agree. there was no improvement in any position or any player. that in itself would be nearly impossible to achieve. so i have to ask myself...

why are we keeping him, or for that matter, why did we hire him in the first place? it is a complete joke. i mean, just how bad do you have to be to get fired in this organization?

what people should be asking about tucker is just what is his ceiling as a coach that you are looking for? what is the base floor you are willing to accept? he has NEVER been a good coach and proved it this year. so why waste not only last season but the next TWO with a guy who has no potential??

mel tucker is TWO strikes against emery. one for hiring him and two for keeping him.

Brilliant post. You have to try SOMETHING. I think the moves you made would accentuate the suggestions I made.

Peppers would have been great with stunts from the inside as well as attacking gaps.

Putting a rookie LB on the weakside would have been a prime way of utilizing speed and lack of discipline. Instead of controlling the middle he's told, "Kill the QB."

Again, brilliant post. I have no doubt that those changes would have made the Bears defense better this year.

Brilliant post. You have to try SOMETHING. I think the moves you made would accentuate the suggestions I made.

Peppers would have been great with stunts from the inside as well as attacking gaps.

Putting a rookie LB on the weakside would have been a prime way of utilizing speed and lack of discipline. Instead of controlling the middle he's told, "Kill the QB."

Again, brilliant post. I have no doubt that those changes would have made the Bears defense better this year.

X2

LINEBACKERS:

This is the only thing I can add to your post. In the last game against GB, they did almost what you suggest. They essentially ran a 4-2-5(Nickle) almost the entire game, thus removing Bostic from the game and Briggs manning the middle. You would think that our rush defense would have suffered by displaying a front 6 vs a front 7. It did not. We had been giving up around 200 ypg in the weeks leading up to this, with a season average of 161ypg. We gave up 160 to a hot rushing team with one less body up front.

Now, on the converse of that you would think playing a nickel defense all game long would mean our pass defense would be pretty good against a rusty Aaron Rodgers. Over the season, we gave up 233 ypg passing and decided to give up 315 in the finally, in bad conditions, for a total of 475 yards. How does that happen?

I was there to witness how horrible our scheme was. And believe me, if Rodgers hit any of several opportunities he missed or didn't see; we would have been blown out. Comparing the QB's, Cutler was far sharper, as he only missed one throw that I saw. Rodgers missed a good 10. Our DB's were so far off the ball, GB had that 6 yard quick slant all day if they wanted. And we were in nickle coverage! Of course he may have adjusted that for the playoffs had we won. I was calling for that in the 1st quarter. Just a fan in the stands, what do I know?

He must go...

All of that would have been done before Briggs was injured. And who knows if he would have been injured as the situations would have been different in games. :rolleyes:

Fun fact, D gave up 102 running YPG before Briggs got hurt. 102 would have been 8th in the league......So they're going to make that switch before it was clear that they were gonna be god awful against the run?

DJ Williams got hurt the week before Briggs, Bostic was just drafted to be an MLB. Are you gonna move Bostic out of the position he was drafted for before even giving him a fair shake to prove himself?

Fun fact, D gave up 102 running YPG before Briggs got hurt. 102 would have been 8th in the league......So they're going to make that switch before it was clear that they were gonna be god awful against the run? DJ Williams got hurt the week before Briggs, Bostic was just drafted to be an MLB. Are you gonna move Bostic out of the position he was drafted for before even giving him a fair shake to prove himself?

It's pretty easy when it's Monday morning ;)

Fun fact, D gave up 102 running YPG before Briggs got hurt. 102 would have been 8th in the league......So they're going to make that switch before it was clear that they were gonna be god awful against the run?

DJ Williams got hurt the week before Briggs, Bostic was just drafted to be an MLB. Are you gonna move Bostic out of the position he was drafted for before even giving him a fair shake to prove himself?

I think both sides of this argument have made good points (except Jason) and I appreciate that. This has been one of the better threads in a long time.

I know which lane I am in on the topic, but everyone's right, what is done is done. All I ask for is Trestman and Emery to be honest at next season's end if we end up in the same boat. I don't want the same cop out. I'm getting too old to put up with years of allowing shit coaches and schemes to stay in place again. So, begrudgingly, Mel Tucker, your 15 minutes are now started.

I know which lane I am in on the topic, but everyone's right, what is done is done. All I ask for is Trbuildand Emery to be honest at next season's end if we end up in the same boat. I don't want the same cop out. I'm getting too old to put up with years of allowing shit coaches and schemes to stay in place again. So, begrudgingly, Mel Tucker, your 15 minutes are now started.

I with you. He got a break, but will need to show vast improvement. Lets hope Emery can get him the pieces to do it; if not he will get shown the door. This is the year to build, we have 7 draft picks and money to add some FAs

I think both sides of this argument have made good points (except Jason) and I appreciate that. This has been one of the better threads in a long time.

The less you participate the better the thread. That's a pretty good general rule.

I know which lane I am in on the topic, but everyone's right, what is done is done. All I ask for is Trestman and Emery to be honest at next season's end if we end up in the same boat. I don't want the same cop out. I'm getting too old to put up with years of allowing shit coaches and schemes to stay in place again. So, begrudgingly, Mel Tucker, your 15 minutes are now started.

The cop out thought is correct. I don't want to be in the same position next year, or one close to that, with Tucker using something else as an excuse. This year injuries, maybe next year the offense is so good that it scores incredibly quickly, time of possession is severely out of whack, and it keeps the D on the field for an extended period of time? That'd be something odd for Chicago Bear fans.