BEARS SIGN HOUSTON

GakMan23

My question is this: Is Houston just our new Alex Brown? Not that there was anything horribly wrong with AB but he's not a guy who will ever be brought up as one of the best Bears DE's either. They need to pair him with a real pass rusher or they won't be getting the QB pressure they need to get. I guess that could be Shea's specialty...

My question is this: Is Houston just our new Alex Brown? Not that there was anything horribly wrong with AB but he's not a guy who will ever be brought up as one of the best Bears DE's either. They need to pair him with a real pass rusher or they won't be getting the QB pressure they need to get. I guess that could be Shea's specialty...

At the very least, he was more disruptive(I'm talking pressures/QB Hits here not just sacks) than last years version of Peppers.

He's a good player. There's a reason why nfl.com has him ranked as the 5th best FA.

I was about to make the same comparison production wise. He's bigger tho and can move inside to DT. That's why I used the Wooten comparison instead.

He's a player that is nice to have on the line, but I'm not sure at his price. 16 sacks in 4 years just doesn't warrant a decent contract to me. About half his price and I would really like the signing.

I was about to make the same comparison production wise. He's bigger tho and can move inside to DT. That's why I used the Wooten comparison instead.

He's a player that is nice to have on the line, but I'm not sure at his price. 16 sacks in 4 years just doesn't warrant a decent contract to me. About half his price and I would really like the signing.

If it was 20-22 how much different would that be? In his 2nd year he only picked up 1 sack whereas every other year he's had 5-6, so that hurts him a little, and just based on his "number of tackles" it seems like his playing time picked up a lot starting in his 3rd year.

If it was 20-22 how much different would that be? In his 2nd year he only picked up 1 sack whereas every other year he's had 5-6, so that hurts him a little, and just based on his "number of tackles" it seems like his playing time picked up a lot starting in his 3rd year.

It wouldn't be to me. I don't think a DE should be paid more than 2 or 3 mil a year unless they are putting up 10 sacks a year.

I believe so. Although I think he has a much higher cieling.

And you are correct. We need a compliment. I see it coming int he draft. I'mn not banking on McClellin to do much other than be serviceable.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned that's worth mentioning.....The Raiders are awful, so they were playing behind a lot which means teams were running a lot. Here in Chicago, with our high powered offense, teams will have to throw the ball a lot which means he'll have more opportunities to just pin his ears back and rush the passer.

Also, for those comparing his size to some of our bigger DEs of the past, he confirmed in his press conference what rotoworld thought, he was playing around 275 pounds last year.

Wonder if the Bears might be interested in Pat Sims, a line-mate with Houston in Oakland. Not sure how they feel about Paea/Ratliff as the starting NT, if they feel they're better off as depth guys I'd love Sims.

Raiders last year gave up 3.9 ypc on the ground last year... Same as Seattle for 7th in the league, just .5 behind the jets, and 1.4 less ypc than the Bears.

Should have money for both he and Melton.

Wonder if the Bears might be interested in Pat Sims, a line-mate with Houston in Oakland. Not sure how they feel about Paea/Ratliff as the starting NT, if they feel they're better off as depth guys I'd love Sims.

Raiders last year gave up 3.9 ypc on the ground last year... Same as Seattle for 7th in the league, just .5 behind the jets, and 1.4 less ypc than the Bears.

Should have money for both he and Melton.

Interesting that you mention him as I read this on PFF this morning:

Pat Sims, DT

2013 Grade: +14.7

Summary: After four uneventful seasons in Cincinnati that saw the 2008 third round draft pick improve as a player slowly but surely, Sims produced his best season on a one-year deal with the Raiders in 2013. The problem with Sims has always been consistency, with not enough substance to back up the splash plays, but over the second half of 2013 he was much better, with just two games with a small negative grade. In fact, over the final nine games of the season he had a grade of +19.1, excelling against the run and as a pass rusher and, based on the second half of last season is one of the better players left in an interior defensive line market that is drying up fast.

Good Fit: Chicago

Seems like a logical acquisition for Emery as well. Would cost between $3-$4 per year based on other contracts handed out.

After reading this, and listening to his interview and press conference, and watching some highlights I think Houston still has room to improve, quite a bit of room. I preferred Bennett but I think we've seen his best, or rather he is at his ceiling. Whether or not we can get Houston to hit his ceiling is another debate but I believe there is much to be gained with this guy. With his combination of size, strength, and quickness his ceiling might be higher than Bennett's.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...b7-a50769584c36

After reading this, and listening to his interview and press conference, and watching some highlights I think Houston still has room to improve, quite a bit of room. I preferred Bennett but I think we've seen his best, or rather he is at his ceiling. Whether or not we can get Houston to hit his ceiling is another debate but I believe there is much to be gained with this guy. With his combination of size, strength, and quickness his ceiling might be higher than Bennett's.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...b7-a50769584c36

Agreed, Houston had 16 hits on the QB, 7th most in the NFL. Getting a legal hit on the QB means it had to of happened within mere seconds of the QB releasing the ball. If coverage was tighter on even just 1/3rd of those QB hits were talking about a guy with 11 or 12 sacks.

I've got a feeling Houston will be closer to 10 sacks than 6 next year.

He also gives them the same versatility Bennett would have gave us, and that's the ability to play inside on obvious passing downs. Say we get Melton back and we draft a DE or one of our DEs emerge under Joe Kim, I'd love to se ?-Houston-Melton-Young in passing situations.

Agreed, Houston had 16 hits on the QB, 7th most in the NFL. Getting a legal hit on the QB means it had to of happened within mere seconds of the QB releasing the ball. If coverage was tighter on even just 1/3rd of those QB hits were talking about a guy with 11 or 12 sacks.

I've got a feeling Houston will be closer to 10 sacks than 6 next year.

He also gives them the same versatility Bennett would have gave us, and that's the ability to play inside on obvious passing downs. Say we get Melton back and we draft a DE or one of our DEs emerge under Joe Kim, I'd love to se ?-Houston-Melton-Young in passing situations.

I hope you're right. Otherwise, you look at this team on paper and we are pretty damn awful at sacking the quarterback. Pending more moves in free agency, immediately our greatest need in the draft is defensive end.

I hope you're right. Otherwise, you look at this team on paper and we are pretty damn awful at sacking the quarterback. Pending more moves in free agency, immediately our greatest need in the draft is defensive end.

Nothing is what it seems on paper.

These guys will be fine rushing the passer. "Pressure is production". DE will not be our greatest need, we're talking about a 3-4 here tops.

What we should be worrying about is pressure up the gut. Last year we had 6 sacks from our DT position. The year before Melton alone had 6, 14 as a whole. Had we got those 8 more from the interior we had in 2012 they would have been 17th in the league.

These guys will be fine rushing the passer. "Pressure is production". DE will not be our greatest need, we're talking about a 3-4 here tops.

What we should be worrying about is pressure up the gut. Last year we had 6 sacks from our DT position. The year before Melton alone had 6, 14 as a whole. Had we got those 8 more from the interior we had in 2012 they would have been 17th in the league.

Brings Donald back into the picture, and I would think S like Bucannon rd2, then if the big DT Ellis is availble for round 3.

Brings Donald back into the picture, and I would think S like Bucannon rd2, then if the big DT Ellis is availble for round 3.

I'm getting a feeling that there's a chance Donald won't be there. I've seen drafts where he's been taken 11th, 12th, and 13th, so apparently he's an option to the 3 teams ahead of us....That's why I've been pulling so hard for Melton.

If we can't get Melton, and Donald isn't there, I get the feeling that Dom Easley might be the 2nd best pass rushing DT. In that case I wouldn't mind trading down and "reaching" for him. I put reaching in quotations because I don't think he'd really be a reach but when you look at some mock drafts he would be. Mayock or someone like him had the Bears taking him in the first awhile back, but that's the only time I've seen him in the first.

Also I totaled together all the sacks/QB hits/hurries for Houston and Young then compared them with Peppers/Wootton/SMC/Bass

Our quartet of DEs last year had 15 sacks, 16 qb hits, and 64 hurries for a total of 95 times in the pocket.

Our new duo had 10 sacks, 24 qb hits, and 89 hurries for a total of 123 times in the pocket.

I wouldn't be surprise me if both guys had 2 more sacks next year to bring that total to 14 sacks.....Throw in a a couple rotational guys, whether that be Bass, Lane, Scott, Ozougwu, or a rookie, and I get the feeling we'll get a lot more production, sacks included, out of our DEs next year.

While pressure up the gut is important, getting an elite pass rusher is even more important. It's much easier to find DT's than DE's and DE's are more expensive. The problem is that there were no elite pass rushers available in free agency and there will be none available at #14.

In terms of need, it will depend on who are #3 and #4 DE's are at draft-time. I expect us to sign somebody. Now that the market has settled, I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring Corey Wooton back.

Either way, in the draft I think we'll go D-line in rounds #1 and #2. Probably DT and then DE. I figure we'll keep up the trend of drafting a bad safety in round #3.

I predicted we would re-sign Ratliff, Wootton, and Tillman. Waiting on Wootton now.... I think he is ready to take the next step. If Donald is not available, then maybe we go Jernigan/Nix. Tucker likes big d-linmen. Maybe we surprise the world and take TE too? I think we are sitting at 5-6million after Tillman. I heard the draft will take 5 million this year were we are slotted. Should quite down now up into the draft, unless we release Weems/Bennett or restructure Marshall.

I'm getting a feeling that there's a chance Donald won't be there. I've seen drafts where he's been taken 11th, 12th, and 13th, so apparently he's an option to the 3 teams ahead of us....That's why I've been pulling so hard for Melton.

If we can't get Melton, and Donald isn't there, I get the feeling that Dom Easley might be the 2nd best pass rushing DT. In that case I wouldn't mind trading down and "reaching" for him. I put reaching in quotations because I don't think he'd really be a reach but when you look at some mock drafts he would be. Mayock or someone like him had the Bears taking him in the first awhile back, but that's the only time I've seen him in the first.

Also I totaled together all the sacks/QB hits/hurries for Houston and Young then compared them with Peppers/Wootton/SMC/Bass

Our quartet of DEs last year had 15 sacks, 16 qb hits, and 64 hurries for a total of 95 times in the pocket.

Our new duo had 10 sacks, 24 qb hits, and 89 hurries for a total of 123 times in the pocket.

I wouldn't be surprise me if both guys had 2 more sacks next year to bring that total to 14 sacks.....Throw in a a couple rotational guys, whether that be Bass, Lane, Scott, Ozougwu, or a rookie, and I get the feeling we'll get a lot more production, sacks included, out of our DEs next year.

It seems that we all forget to think of Washington as a possible rotaional player at DE.

While pressure up the gut is important, getting an elite pass rusher is even more important. It's much easier to find DT's than DE's and DE's are more expensive. The problem is that there were no elite pass rushers available in free agency and there will be none available at #14.

In terms of need, it will depend on who are #3 and #4 DE's are at draft-time. I expect us to sign somebody. Now that the market has settled, I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring Corey Wooton back.

Either way, in the draft I think we'll go D-line in rounds #1 and #2. Probably DT and then DE. I figure we'll keep up the trend of drafting a bad safety in round #3.

Eh....The Rams had Quinn, 2nd in the league i sacks, AND Long and they were still a middle of the pack D(15th). Indy had Mathis, the sack leader, and they were 22nd overall. Buffalo had the 2nd most sacks in the league, yet they were just the 18th ranked D.

Remember we have the "pass rush guru" Joe Kim, so not only could Houston/Young take another step forward but so could the fringe guys.

II wouldn't hate to see Kareem Martin in the 2nd though.

It seems that we all forget to think of Washington as a possible rotaional player at DE.

That's because Washington played in one game last year and recorded one tackle. Currently Cheta and David Bass are both ahead of him. I don't know if any of them have a realistic chance at being one of the rotational guys.

Ya, I normally list him, just forgot about him this time.

That's because Washington played in one game last year and recorded one tackle. Currently Cheta and David Bass are both ahead of him. I don't know if any of them have a realistic chance at being one of the rotational guys.

I always refer to them as fringe guys, meaning they're right on the edge of being serviceable rotational pieces and being merely "JAGS" (just another guy).

I'm not sure I can stress Joe Kim enough, he could be huge for some of these guys. Our "QB guru" helped, let's see what the "Pass rush guru" can do.

Ya, I normally list him, just forgot about him this time.

I always refer to them as fringe guys, meaning they're right on the edge of being serviceable rotational pieces and being merely "JAGS" (just another guy).

I'm not sure I can stress Joe Kim enough, he could be huge for some of these guys. Our "QB guru" helped, let's see what the "Pass rush guru" can do.

What did you come up with the pass rush guru term? Did you inject that or did you read that somewhere?

I didn't make it up, but I think it was made up by a fan perhaps??

Here's his website..... http://www.kimsmartialartsavon.com/about-u...kims-nfl-career .....If you go down to the "Grandmaster Kim in the media" section you'll find a lot of good articles on him.

One is titled Joe Kim "The Pass Rush Guru" is in town, but when you click on it it's from an SB Nation site. Still though they claim "He's an NFL consultant known as "The Pass Rush Guru"" so I guess he's the only guy not saying it.

I've read a few of those articles and I think dude is more than just a gimmick, I think he'll help.

I didn't make it up, but I think it was made up by a fan perhaps??

Here's his website..... http://www.kimsmartialartsavon.com/about-u...kims-nfl-career .....If you go down to the "Grandmaster Kim in the media" section you'll find a lot of good articles on him.

One is titled Joe Kim "The Pass Rush Guru" is in town, but when you click on it it's from an SB Nation site. Still though they claim "He's an NFL consultant known as "The Pass Rush Guru"" so I guess he's the only guy not saying it.

I've read a few of those articles and I think dude is more than just a gimmick, I think he'll help.

Oh I think he will help big time, but not sure he deserves "the pass rush guru" label.