BEARS SIGN HOUSTON

GakMan23

I certainly don't hate it....Bears were awful against the run and Houston certainly helps! Even at 7M, which possibly isn't the cap number, that's a fair deal....Time to give Pep the boot!

The Bears needed to do something. Is it the type of move that is going to give me a woody.....Nope but glad they did.

I like that he is young, great against the run. Hope those sack number improve.

I think someone posted some stats showing the kid has gotten better each year..... Hey maybe he earns that 7mill

I want to resign Melton and then draft a linebacker or DT in round 1. No DE's worth taking at our spot (unless we want to move down a bit). I'd also argue CB is a major need. I still want Peanut back.

I'd be shocked if they took a LB early honestly. Maybe 4th round.

If Melton's back I'd think about trading down unless Gilbert is there. Either trade back a few spots and grab Ealy or trade all the way back with SF and try and fill DE/CB/S with the first 3 picks (all 3 would be in the first 2 rounds if they trade with SF).

Anyone care to take a hack at what Houstons cap hit would be this year??? here's some specs.....

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 10m

More details on Lamarr Houston contract w/ #Bears $4.95 million signing bonus, $3 mil roster bonus, $1 mil base salary, $50K workout in '14.

Still don't know what that all means.

I'd be shocked if they took a LB early honestly. Maybe 4th round.

If Melton's back I'd think about trading down unless Gilbert is there. Either trade back a few spots and grab Ealy or trade all the way back with SF and try and fill DE/CB/S with the first 3 picks (all 3 would be in the first 2 rounds if they trade with SF).

Anyone care to take a hack at what Houstons cap hit would be this year??? here's some specs.....

More details on Lamarr Houston contract w/ #Bears $4.95 million signing bonus, $3 mil roster bonus, $1 mil base salary, $50K workout in '14.

Still don't know what that all means.

So $5 mil cap hit this year? I am thinking signing bonus pro-rated, roster bonus applied to this year's hit. He gets 21 over first 3 years. So next year will probably go to 7-8 and 2016 will go to 8-9.

If the roster bonus is prorated, then it is more like $2.6 million cap hit for this year, but $5 seems more realistic.

So $5 mil cap hit this year? I am thinking signing bonus pro-rated, roster bonus applied to this year's hit. He gets 21 over first 3 years. So next year will probably go to 7-8 and 2016 will go to 8-9.

If the roster bonus is prorated, then it is more like $2.6 million cap hit for this year, but $5 seems more realistic.

In either case that's really solid. I was thinking we could get away with paying Bennett a 12M cap hit. Would absolutely have the money for Melton.

Biggs had these other tweets....

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 56m

So Lamarr Houston will total $9 million in Year 1 with #Bears

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 57m

Houston has base salaries in 2015, 2016, 2017 of $5.95 million and climbs to $7.95 million in 2018. Workout bonus of $50K each season.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 54m

The guarantee for the Lamarr Houston contract, by the way, $14.9 million or $15 million as long as he shows up for offseason workout program

Not sure if that really helps you any.

I want to resign Melton and then draft a linebacker or DT in round 1. No DE's worth taking at our spot (unless we want to move down a bit). I'd also argue CB is a major need. I still want Peanut back.

Briggs, DJ, Bostic, Greene, and SMC, yet you'd take LB in round 1? That doesn't make any sense to me.

The Bears need to go DT or S in the first.

I like the Houston signing, but man are these free agents "meh...." There's like no game changing player in this class besides Byrd.

The Mundy signing probably negated Byrd. That and at no point has their been an indication the Bears are interested in going after a top tier safety.

Statistically, Houston somewhat reminds me of Alex Brown. He seems to be solid all-around, will give you the occassional big play, and you're always looking for him to improve. One helluva a #2 DE. But not a #1 DE. With the release of Peppers, we need a #1 "get to the quarterback" DE.

Briggs, DJ, Bostic, Greene, and SMC, yet you'd take LB in round 1? That doesn't make any sense to me.

The Bears need to go DT or S in the first.

Even in the scenario where Melton is back?? Wouldn't hate pairing Melton with Jernigan, but I'm fine with Ratliff and Paea "duking it out" for the NT.

Agree with you on LB.

The Mundy signing probably negated Byrd. That and at no point has their been an indication the Bears are interested in going after a top tier safety.

Statistically, Houston somewhat reminds me of Alex Brown. He seems to be solid all-around, will give you the occassional big play, and you're always looking for him to improve. One helluva a #2 DE. But not a #1 DE. With the release of Peppers, we need a #1 "get to the quarterback" DE.

I've heard Phillip Daniels and now Alex Brown as a comparison, I'll just throw out Izzy as well.

What did Bostic show that makes me think he's a total keeper. Shea, who the hell knows. HE's basically a bust getting a try at another position.

I just can't imagine, for better or for worse, they give up on a 2nd round pick after 1 season.

BTW the 5M cap hit is correct.

I certainly don't hate it....Bears were awful against the run and Houston certainly helps! Even at 7M, which possibly isn't the cap number, that's a fair deal....Time to give Pep the boot!

It upgrades our team but it isnt a fair deal. He is minus the FA blitz similar to Alex Brown,IMO. Under normal circumstances, he is a 4 mil a year tops. Now if he takes a next step,may carry more valve going forward but you dont pay 7 mil a year for an average of 4 sacks a year.

I just can't imagine, for better or for worse, they give up on a 2nd round pick after 1 season.

BTW the 5M cap hit is correct.

He can't have a 5 mil cap "hit" if his base salary is 5.95 mil. Has to be 5.95 PLUS 1/5 of his signing bonus. If signing bonus is 15 mil (not sure if all that guaranteed money is SB), then cap charge would be 8.95 mil.

He can't have a 5 mil cap "hit" if his base salary is 5.95 mil. Has to be 5.95 PLUS 1/5 of his signing bonus. If signing bonus is 15 mil (not sure if all that guaranteed money is SB), then cap charge would be 8.95 mil.

Base salary is 1 mill this year.

overthecap.com has his cap hit at $5,040,000

I'd rather have seen the money go to Melton or Tillman. It feels to me like the Bears just paid a decent sum for a Wooten caliber player. I know he's not a monster cap hit, it's just seems like the Bears could have found someone, like they tried with linebackers last year, that could put up his production.

They've had Pro Bowl quality seasons, he's had quality starter seasons.