Puzzlement (not sure that's a word)

Stinger226

There are a few FAs out there that havent been signed and I cant figure out why? help me out

Brian De LA Puente/C-he has played at a high level for two years and no interest. Having ties to Kromer ,wouldnt mind seeing him here.

Eric Winston/RT- I always remember him as being a good player and at 30 not over the hill.

Owen Daniels/TE- not sure he is done at age 31 but is a good pass catching TE

Josh Freeman/QB- I know he is a tool, but actually showed some talent a couple of years ago and nobody is offering him a vet min?

Andre Brown/RB- I know he was injured last year but came back and played well. Wouldnt mind him as a backup on the Bears.

There are a few FAs out there that havent been signed and I cant figure out why? help me out

Brian De LA Puente/C-he has played at a high level for two years and no interest. Having ties to Kromer ,wouldnt mind seeing him here.

Eric Winston/RT- I always remember him as being a good player and at 30 not over the hill.

Josh Freeman/QB- I know he is a tool, but actually showed some talent a couple of years ago and nobody is offering him a vet min?

Andre Brown/RB- I know he was injured last year but came back and played well. Wouldnt mind him as a backup on the Bears.

I am trying to be conventional with my avatars. I fear that doesnt last long.

I'd like to find a swing tackle, haven't heard much about Britton either. I think we are considering the draft to fill some of those needs.

We need a swing tackle and Britton is looking for more than a one year at a min. I hope he comes back he was useful. We also need a backup at RB-another WR(probably on the roster), and a backup QB.

Some of these needs will be filled in the draft then I think the rest will be vet min. contracts after the draft. After the draft people get cut, players still hand around from FAgency. We will be fine.

Other than De La Puente...none of those guys really interest me. Winston is probably too pricey as an insurance policy. Daniels is old and injury prone. We have big targets for the end zone. Unless it was league minimum, I'd rather try our hand elsewhere at TE. I just do not like Freeman in the least. Doesn't seem into it enough to take on Trestman's system. Andre Brown is a fumble machine. I think we can find better in the draft or later in FA as cuts come.

Guys who aren't signed right now are guys who are probably hoping for better deals to become available as injuries occur and as the draft shakes itself out (where teams realize they failed to fill a need).

I'm still figuring the Bears need a backup QB so Freeman could make some sense, but really, whoever Trestman wants at that spot I'm ok with.

From your list De La Puente is the one that most surprises me. Usually young linemen get snapped up pretty quickly but I'd say his salary demands don't match his ability. It seems that his performance has been assisted greatly by playing next to true Pro Bowl talent and when that wasn't there he wasn't nearly as good. He'll find work but his price is likely dropping.

I think we are mostly done in FA and at some point we really need to have success in drafting players and developing them so that they have an impact on the roster. For the past several years the Bears have had to use FA to bail themselves out. They need to stop relying so much on FA to compensate for poor drafting / player development.

The good part of FA is that you usually know what you are getting and the bad is that you usually will need to overpay for getting a known commodity. With that said I liked what Britton did as a backup last year. The rest of the positions I would rather the Bears fill the needs through the Draft and un-drafted rookie free agents.

I think we are mostly done in FA and at some point we really need to have success in drafting players and developing them so that they have an impact on the roster. For the past several years the Bears have had to use FA to bail themselves out. They need to stop relying so much on FA to compensate for poor drafting / player development.

The good part of FA is that you usually know what you are getting and the bad is that you usually will need to overpay for getting a known commodity. With that said I liked what Britton did as a backup last year. The rest of the positions I would rather the Bears fill the needs through the Draft and un-drafted rookie free agents.

There will still be some bodies out there that can help us. We still have a lot of roster spots to fill. I would like Britton back,we know what were getting from him. We will fill some spots on draft day, but your lucky if 3 or 4 could contribute the first year.

I don't think we're done in FA at all. I expect we'll see a couple more additions with the most likely being a DT. It might not happen until after the draft. Backup OT is also on the needs list. We have $8mil in cap space so there's room to do both. Beyond that we might see one or two more brought in on vet min salaries to compete for a roster spot at any of the positions. Have we cut Eric Weems yet? We asked him to take a pay cut and he said no.

I don't think we're done in FA at all. I expect we'll see a couple more additions with the most likely being a DT. It might not happen until after the draft. Backup OT is also on the needs list. We have $8mil in cap space so there's room to do both. Beyond that we might see one or two more brought in on vet min salaries to compete for a roster spot at any of the positions. Have we cut Eric Weems yet? We asked him to take a pay cut and he said no.

Actually we could bring in many at a vet min. The cap is established by the top 51 salaries and anything at the low end wouldnt even count.

Weems is still on the roster for whatever reason.

Ya, I doubt we're done. Along with DT and OT I think we'll probably grab a QB, and maybe a RB as well. I could no doubt see these signings happen after the draft.

As far as a Brown goes, ya fumbles are/were a big concern, but after getting out of Coughlins doghouse he didn't fumble again. It's still a potential problem but I think he'll offer the biggest bang for your buck at RB. He was one of the best at picking up the blitz(something Emery or Trestman said was important), he's a solid pass catcher, and has the body to carry the load should Forte go down.

Weems is still on the roster for whatever reason.

Ya, I doubt we're done. Along with DT and OT I think we'll probably grab a QB, and maybe a RB as well. I could no doubt see these signings happen after the draft.

As far as a Brown goes, ya fumbles are/were a big concern, but after getting out of Coughlins doghouse he didn't fumble again. It's still a potential problem but I think he'll offer the biggest bang for your buck at RB. He was one of the best at picking up the blitz(something Emery or Trestman said was important), he's a solid pass catcher, and has the body to carry the load should Forte go down.

Im all in on Brown, but his injury screwed me in a few fantasy leagues last year.

Iam intrigued with prospect of seeing how well Michael Ford has progressed.He did well last preseason and should be a lot more comfortable this year since he should know what is expected of him. I still would use a late pick on a RB, but would not pursue one in FA. AS for Josh Freeman,I believe he is having a wakeup call and maybe the type of guy that can be molded into a solid QB by someone who is willing to be patient with him. Greg Schiano for what its worth should have never left Rutgers. He was a former pro assistant under the Jimmy Johnson and Wannie tree but never coordinated a defense in the NFL and that is probably the problem for his demise as a head coach. He was a little full of himself and if any of the offensive players were not on the same page as he, there was gonna be problems.