Trade the Bears 1R pick for Khalil Mack?

McGowan

Would you trade the Bears 1R pick for Khalil Mack?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade the Bears 1st Rounder for Khalil Mack

• Yes, Mack would vault the Bears defense to top 3 status
    • No, the Bears already traded their 2nd rounder next year. They can't afford to trade their 1st rounder for anything.

The guy is an all-pro, 27 yrs old, and has 3 straight years with double-digit sacks. That would immediately shore up the OLB issues, and we would seem to be only an OT away from being an elite team. Right now OLB opposite of Floyd and RT seem to be the weakest parts of the roster. So if you think we have everything else in place, you go for it, and address RT in free agency next off season. 

I'd do it.  Now is the time to take that chance while Trubisky is on his first contract.  We gotta get Goldman setup as well IMO but we could do that if get a bit creative.  We have $26mil in cap space right now, and projected to be -$40mil next year.  That's from OvertheCap.com project cap space for our   For sure Kevin White would be gone, replaced by Miller of course.  Amos too, replaced by Bush.  A bit of that $40 comes back to us because we wouldn't pay 1st or 2nd Rd picks next so that should push cap room closer to  $43mil.    Depending on how well he plays we might lose a player like Callahan, and that may or may not be a big deal.  However, DBs become less of an issue with a strong pass rush. 

We'll probably start shedding some of these million dollar special teams players like McManus, Bellamy ($2mil/yr).   Bellamy's deal is done anyway, McManus is on the books next year at $2mil, this year $1.5mil.   

Im as angry at Roquan and his agent as anyone, but no G.M. worth anything would give up on a high first round draft pick before the first preseason game (HOF game doesnt count) just because they are at a contract impasse.

Let's have a little longer view!

The kind of contract would be detrimental  at this time in the development of the team. You got this guy coming in with a huge contract , it would later affect every contract going forward for our core players. It would put everything out of wack. Mack is the type of player you take when you made the playoffs and need to take that final step to get to the super bowl. We are 2 years away from that . Smith is going to be a stud once he gets in here, and as good as Mack is we can still get a lot better without him.In the last two years Mack has had 10.5 and 11 sacks playing from the DE position in their defense. Will that translate in the OLB position in our defense?

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I completely disagree to that point.  Adding Mack would would be an utter nightmare for OC's.  You'd never know never know where it was coming from.  BTW, what has Floyd proven?

I agree, you may only rush one but which side is coming? If they both can play equally well against run, pass, and blitzing, then that is a bonus.  I don't like the possible cost of draft picks. We just got out of hell from years of trading them for upgrades. Would Mack elevate the Bears to a top 5 team? 

• 2 weeks later...

There are enough rumors out there that this possibility is not completely dead.  I'm not saying it's likely, but for some reason it does appear the Raiders aren't as enamored with Mack as most people think they should be.  Gruden won his Superbowl with a dominant interior DT leading the pass rush but, on the flip side, his new DC says that Mack is a cornerstone type player you want to build around.   I still think this is all negotiating smoke on the part of the Raiders but it's clear Gruden wants "his players" on the roster and perhaps something about Mack or his contract demands has rubbed him the wrong way.    

When looking at the numbers Oakland has just $5mil in cap space right now but that includes Macks 2018 salary of $13.6 mil.  Next year they have $47mil in cap space so it's hard to see why they can't, or wouldn't want to fit in Mack's new contract.  

As long as Pace and Mack are in the same ballpark on a new contract, I have zero problem with the Bears trading next year's 1 and 3 for Mack. Even though that means that the Bears won't have a pick until the 4th, Miller looks like the real deal and we know what Mack is. 

As the original poster asked would I trade our first for Mack.  Yea, but I don't think the Raiders would take just a first.  Charles Davis from the NFL channel was on the local sports talk show, I live in Nr. CA., the other day and he has personal friends within the Raider organization.  He has not been able to get any insite on the holdout from either the players standpoint or the teams.  No one is talking.  Like most fans some say trade him and others say pay the man.   So come the first game he just might show up and say lets play new contract or not.