Pineiro The Worst Kicker in the league

adam

Check out this tweet pointing out how bad Maher is (Pineiro is worse). We got rid of Parkey and downgraded to Pineiro. Between 30-50 yds, Pineiro is ranked 37th, why is he still on this team? Only 6 kickers are worse than him for XPs. He has missed two. So if you figure the league average from inside 50 for any kick is around 80%, and XPs are 95%, Pineiro has cost us no less than 7 pts and one loss (LAC).

So we are in for a treat on Thursday, a bad kickers duel. The over-under on missed kicks is 2. I have the over.

Neither kicker Maher or Pineiro has been good, of the two I might rather have Maher, but it's kind of a tallest midget argument.  We're stuck with Eddy for this season, and I don't believe he'll be back next year.  There's just absolutely no confidence or reason for confidence in our kicking game.  Not only has he been shaky when he's been called on, the coaches clearly have little faith in him, and tend to opt to go for it or punt, rather than trot Eddy out there.  They know they don't have a good kicker and they coach like they don't have a good kicker.  It's about damage control.  

On the positive side there are several good collage kickers that can be had either in the back end of the draft or UDFA signings.  I'm personally tired of the Gould talk, he was  in a slump when we cut him, he even said that woke him up.  There was also some friction between Robbie and the staff at the time.  That story is done though, he's not coming back and he has struggled this year as well at times.  We need to look forward not backward.  We need to either address it late in the draft and/or UDFA's.  I don't want us to bring in another retread, or "hot FA" kicker that's expected to solve our issues.  I do believe part of the issues with Eddy are issues that are inherent to being a kicker for the Bears, the swirling winds at Soldier Field don't help and only get worse as the season goes on.  We need a kicker who can handle that environment, who excels in adverse conditions.  

10 hours ago, adam said:

Check out this tweet pointing out how bad Maher is (Pineiro is worse). We got rid of Parkey and downgraded to Pineiro. Between 30-50 yds, Pineiro is ranked 37th, why is he still on this team? Only 6 kickers are worse than him for XPs. He has missed two. So if you figure the league average from inside 50 for any kick is around 80%, and XPs are 95%, Pineiro has cost us no less than 7 pts and one loss (LAC).

So we are in for a treat on Thursday, a bad kickers duel. The over-under on missed kicks is 2. I have the over.

These are stats for kickers in their tenure with a team and I am not sure why Janikowski and Bryant are on this list as they are no longer in the league. Parkey only played a few games this year for Tennessee and was 16 for 22 last year for the Bears from 30-to 49 yards. FG/EP kicking is way down this year in the league and we have seen several players struggle with Eddie being one of them. However, I believe I did here he does lead the league in touchbacks on kickoffs.   

I think Eddie will have competition next summer and will be given the opportunity to win the job. 

Peace

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think the extra point change has a lot of kickers rattled and/or stressed.  Missing PATS was never talked about before.  Now kickers are getting hammered for it.

Isn't it time to flip the script and start going for 2 on a regular basis?  Why not play the percentages?  Screw PATS.  I get going for a sure thing FG or if you absolutely need it for a win/tie, etc.  But, why not embrace the new world?

https://apnews.com/c3d16ccf272a41eb99bb95f4d27c1d0b

NFL teams have gone for a two-point conversion 59 times this year through seven weeks and have converted 34 (a 58 percent success rate), according to Pro Football Reference.

We would have to consistently be able to score multiple touchdowns a game first!  😆

1 hour ago, madlithuanian said:

Isn't it time to flip the script and start going for 2 on a regular basis?  Why not play the percentages?  Screw PATS.  I get going for a sure thing FG or if you absolutely need it for a win/tie, etc.  But, why not embrace the new world?

2 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

https://apnews.com/c3d16ccf272a41eb99bb95f4d27c1d0b

NFL teams have gone for a two-point conversion 59 times this year through seven weeks and have converted 34 (a 58 percent success rate), according to Pro Football Reference.

Also, consider you only have to make 1 of 2  2pt conversions to get the same amount of points as 2 XPs made. If you do the math with 58% success rate on any 2-pt conversion, the odds of getting one 2-pt conversion out of 2 attempts is 82.4%. An XP has a 93.2% chance of being made, but making two? Now you are down to 86.9%. So if you have a league average or better kicker, you take the XP. However, if you have a crappy kicker, you should always go for two. Any team that has a kicker with an XP% less than 91% should go for two every time.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

We would have to consistently be able to score multiple touchdowns a game first!  😆

Ain't this the truth lol. We need to score TDs to even have a chance to go for two. That's the problem, Pineiro is cold from the lack of kicks.

6 hours ago, Connorbear said:

These are stats for kickers in their tenure with a team and I am not sure why Janikowski and Bryant are on this list as they are no longer in the league. Parkey only played a few games this year for Tennessee and was 16 for 22 last year for the Bears from 30-to 49 yards. FG/EP kicking is way down this year in the league and we have seen several players struggle with Eddie being one of them. However, I believe I did here he does lead the league in touchbacks on kickoffs.   

I think Eddie will have competition next summer and will be given the opportunity to win the job. 

Peace

Eddie leading the league in touchbacks? Where did you hear that?

In raw TB's, he is 30th with 16 (out of 32 for 50%). O'Donnell has 10 out of 15 TBs (66%), so technically Pineiro is 2nd on our team in TB% and he is the only Kicker. 

I don't understand how he can kick 80+ yards on YouTube, but can't kick it 68+ yards consistently off a tee during a game? Most NFL kickers should be able to kick a ball off a tee 75 yards consistently. 

Pineiro does lead the league in one kicking category, Kicks Out of Bounds with 3. The problem with those? The other team gets the ball at the 40.

My issue is Kicker is a problem and the team just flat out will not address it. Pineiro is the fix and that's it. Have we not seen enough? He is a nice kid, but clearly doesn't have it in him to make clutch kicks. The team has zero faith in him, passing up mid-40 yard kicks for weeks now. So the team can IR Shaheen and Burton "with injuries", which was their way to address the TE position. You see Massie and Gabriel going the same way, but you do absolutely nothing with the kicker position and it has literally cost the team at least one whole game this year.

Can you imagine this team trying to win their next 4 to make the playoffs and lose any of these games with a missed kick? Pace should be fired on the spot.

20 hours ago, adam said:

Wait...how is Vineterri not the worst in the league?  

10 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Peace

I also think Eddy is young and has real skill. I could see him become an above average kicker in the league. At this point, I am of the patient approach, continue to have competition, and see if he can grow into the role.  

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I also think Eddy is young and has real skill. I could see him become an above average kicker in the league. At this point, I am of the patient approach, continue to have competition, and see if he can grow into the role.  

I'm with you.  Eddie had a pretty significant injury and played through it to his best ability but it clearly affected him.  To be criticizing him for a lack of touchbacks when for about half the season he's been limited in his leg strength doesn't make sense to me.  It was also obvious during that time he was not kicking with the same technique and it affected his accuracy.  The last game was the first time I felt he looked like he did at the beginning of the season, both on kickoffs and FGs.  Let's see how he finishes the season.  

Plus the Bears kept Eddy around despite knowing many of the options available when he was injured.  From what I've seen, none of those other options have panned out for their respective teams.  I like the fact the Bears stuck with Eddy through the injury.  There is no problem with the team bringing in good competition for him this offseason either.  Let him keep working to prove he belongs.  

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Let him keep working to prove he belongs. 

Or not...as the case may be.  But yeah I’m with you guys.  He seems like a good kicker overall and agree that the injury seems to have affected him more than I think we know.  

For what it’s worth, the backup to Gould in SF looks pretty solid.  So maybe Robbie will available again next off-season if needed?  

8 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Or not...as the case may be.  But yeah I’m with you guys.  He seems like a good kicker overall and agree that the injury seems to have affected him more than I think we know.  

For what it’s worth, the backup to Gould in SF looks pretty solid.  So maybe Robbie will available again next off-season if needed?  

Gould is probably with the 49ers for next year as he has a $5.1 million cap hit if cut.

Peace

22 hours ago, Connorbear said:

22 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Here is another look at the stats in the league this year. Eddie is hardly the worst kicker in the league. There are several kickers that have missed more FGs and extra points than him. 

Peace

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=K

Connor, that's sorted by points. If you take away kicks inside 30, which are shorter than an XP, and those longer than 50 because those have a success rate lower than other kicks, and only look at kicks between 30-49, which is where NFL kickers attempt the bulk of their kicks, Pineiro is at or near the bottom. There might be a few below him, but some of those guys are no longer on their teams.

Eddie has missed 7 kicks between 30-49 yards. That puts him in Vinatieri, Maher, and Rosas territory. 

The team is content on giving Eddie a chance, but I would just hate to lose a game because of our kicking situation.

The sad part is Nagy is avoiding kicking beyond 40 yards. So if the Bears have the ball between the opponents' 25 and 37 (normal FG range), he is electing to go for it on 4th down. If you haven't noticed, Eddie has not attempted a kick longer than 36 yards in the last 3 games. He missed an XP in the NYG game. The game before that, he missed 2x kicks in the 40's (we lost by 10). 

Remember, he missed 2x FGs against the Chargers, we lost by a point. After that game, Nagy went two games without attempting a FG. 

Here is the bottom line, it doesn't really matter how he relates to other kickers. The last kick he has made over 40 yards was a 46 yarder against the Saints. That is the only kick beyond 40 made since Week 2. Think about that for a second. He has made one kick longer than 40 yards since Week 2, we just played in Week 14. 

5 hours ago, adam said:

Connor, that's sorted by points. If you take away kicks inside 30, which are shorter than an XP, and those longer than 50 because those have a success rate lower than other kicks, and only look at kicks between 30-49, which is where NFL kickers attempt the bulk of their kicks, Pineiro is at or near the bottom. There might be a few below him, but some of those guys are no longer on their teams.

Eddie has missed 7 kicks between 30-49 yards. That puts him in Vinatieri, Maher, and Rosas territory. 

The team is content on giving Eddie a chance, but I would just hate to lose a game because of our kicking situation.

The sad part is Nagy is avoiding kicking beyond 40 yards. So if the Bears have the ball between the opponents' 25 and 37 (normal FG range), he is electing to go for it on 4th down. If you haven't noticed, Eddie has not attempted a kick longer than 36 yards in the last 3 games. He missed an XP in the NYG game. The game before that, he missed 2x kicks in the 40's (we lost by 10). 

Remember, he missed 2x FGs against the Chargers, we lost by a point. After that game, Nagy went two games without attempting a FG. 

Here is the bottom line, it doesn't really matter how he relates to other kickers. The last kick he has made over 40 yards was a 46 yarder against the Saints. That is the only kick beyond 40 made since Week 2. Think about that for a second. He has made one kick longer than 40 yards since Week 2, we just played in Week 14. 

The title to this thread is that Eddie is the worst kicker in the league. I wasn't looking at total points in the stats. I was looking at made/missed kicks within the stats and I was simply pointing out he is not the worst kicker in the league. Is he disappointing? Yes. Does he need competition next year? Yes. So do a lot of players on the team. 

Peace