Bears Sign S Tashaun Gipson

dawhizz

So there’s your safety help. The guy seems curious to me - always thought he was more of a FS, so I’m not sure he paints great with EJ, and he’s coming off an injury. I wouldn’t presume he gets handed the starting job over Bush. 

13 minutes ago, adam said:

He will have to beat some Bush.

Or at least around it... (I saw what you did there - 🙂).

Not a huge fan of this.  Gipson (5’11” 212#) plays more like HHCD.  And like dawhizz says, is coming off an injury riddled season.  Went out on IR for a back fracture late last year. Personally for me that doesn’t fare well for a guy you need ‘in the box’. 

I don't know much about him, but he is a veteran with starting experience.  

I found a bleacher report article that ranked him 9 out of all the FS for 2017.  Said he improved vastly by the way JAX used him. Instead of a traditional FS, he played more as a slot defender and seen his tackles increase. Since the Bears didn't find a traditional SS and the team played with HHCD last season, maybe they figure Gipson, who was ranked better than HHCD, can do a better job. One thing, they won't have to change scheme too much from last year.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Or at least around it... (I saw what you did there - 🙂).

Not a huge fan of this.  Gipson (5’11” 212#) plays more like HHCD.  And like dawhizz says, is coming off an injury riddled season.  Went out on IR for a back fracture late last year. Personally for me that doesn’t fare well for a guy you need ‘in the box’. 

I agree, he's to short to play in the box. Kidding.  More of a FS.  I like this better than adding no one at all. It will be interesting to see how much he gets paid.  I suspect the bears tried to sign a different S but they wouldn't play for a cheap contract.  Called him after he got cut and he took out contract. 

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I agree, he's to short to play in the box. Kidding.  More of a FS.  I like this better than adding no one at all. It will be interesting to see how much he gets paid.  I suspect the bears tried to sign a different S but they wouldn't play for a cheap contract.  Called him after he got cut and he took out contract. 

sounds right to me too.

I have seen many player profiles that list him at 6'1" and then seen one that listed him at 5'11".Not sure which one is correct.  I read where the last 2 yrs he has been playing the SS position where his other  yrs he played FS. Last yr he broke his wrist in and played through it. Then he had issues with his back and was playing through that. Houston needed the roster spot for Watts in the playoffs so they put him on IR. It was considered an off yr from him . 

Upon further review, Gipson appears to be bargain player.  He started his career in 2012 with the Browns after being signed as an UDFA. That same year Mark Barron and Harrison Smith were drafted as the number one and two safeties (Barron 7th overall pick and Smith 29th overall).,  Barron has since morphed into a LB and as of this moment is a FA.  Smith has been playing safety his whole career with Minnesota.  Anyhow some comparative stats. 

Barron: 710* tackles, 12 sacks, 42 pass defensed and 9 INTs  (*started playing LB in 2014 and in 2015 and 2016 totaled over 110 tackles each year)

Smith: 658 tackles, 13 sacks, 57 pass defensed and 23 INTs

Gipson: 450 tackles, 0 sacks, 46 pass defensed and 23 INTs.

So over the course of his career he averages 56 tackles per season, is second of the three in passes defensed and tied at the most INTs with 23.  (Don't mind the 0 sacks).  But all things considered and that he was not drafted compared to these two I'd say he's done all right.  And really we couldn’t expect a lot more out of him as the staring SS. 

The only thing I'd be concerned with his durability after last season's injury and his injury history in general.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2589096-tashaun-gipson-injury-updates-on-jaguars-safetys-knee-and-return

He's played and  started 112 games out of 128 in 8 yrs.  In the last 4 yrs he has only missed 2 games.  Last yr he had a broken wrist and a back issue. I'm not sure what was involved with the back but the wrist issue is no big deal. The article you referred to was from 2016  .We're paying him 1 mil (not sure if that's offical but one writer wrote that). And Houston has to pick up the rest of his contract 2 29 mil. So it's a risk worth taking. 

Tony Jefferson has missed 13 games in his last 2 yrs  

Clayton Geathers has missed 5 in last 2 yrs. 

Eric Reid has missed 3 games in the last 2 yrs. ( it might not been from injury).

Edited by Stinger226

On 5/1/2020 at 1:11 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Upon further review, Gipson appears to be bargain player.  He started his career in 2012 with the Browns after being signed as an UDFA. That same year Mark Barron and Harrison Smith were drafted as the number one and two safeties (Barron 7th overall pick and Smith 29th overall).,  Barron has since morphed into a LB and as of this moment is a FA.  Smith has been playing safety his whole career with Minnesota.  Anyhow some comparative stats. 

Barron: 710* tackles, 12 sacks, 42 pass defensed and 9 INTs  (*started playing LB in 2014 and in 2015 and 2016 totaled over 110 tackles each year)

Smith: 658 tackles, 13 sacks, 57 pass defensed and 23 INTs

Gipson: 450 tackles, 0 sacks, 46 pass defensed and 23 INTs.

So over the course of his career he averages 56 tackles per season, is second of the three in passes defensed and tied at the most INTs with 23.  (Don't mind the 0 sacks).  But all things considered and that he was not drafted compared to these two I'd say he's done all right.  And really we couldn’t expect a lot more out of him as the staring SS. 

The only thing I'd be concerned with his durability after last season's injury and his injury history in general.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2589096-tashaun-gipson-injury-updates-on-jaguars-safetys-knee-and-return

One thing to note is snap count, I bet Gipson surpasses Smith in PD and INTs easily on a per snap basis and is a lot closer on tackles.

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I seen where Matt Bowen, former S that use to be on the score, said Gibson is a perfect compliment to EJac.  I always respected his opinion. a smart guy. 

Here is an article with links to the Bowen tweets.  Very optimistic as a fit next to BoJack.  Most importantly we have the Mack brothers and now the Gipson brothers (Trevis and Tayshaun) on defense. 

Given his past high level of play and the quick signing his 1yr deal is likely not cheap, maybe in the $3 - 5mil range.   What a smart move for him.  He's still young enough that he could get another 3 year deal next year with some signing bonus.   Where better to go setup that next contract than playing behind this front 7 and alongside Fuller and Jackson?   Of course HHCD thought the same thing but Gipson built his career from the bottom as a UDFA.  He is much more likely to bring the work ethic and passion needed to succeed on the field. 

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/05/former-player-thinks-bears-got-perfect-guy-to-pair-with-eddie-jackson/

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Here is an article with links to the Bowen tweets.  Very optimistic as a fit next to BoJack.  Most importantly we have the Mack brothers and now the Gipson brothers (Trevis and Tayshaun) 

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/05/former-player-thinks-bears-got-perfect-guy-to-pair-with-eddie-jackson/

Nice piece on him.  Makes it seem the Bears D will be in a much better position.  With everyone healthy and Quinn>Floyd, Gipson>Dix, it helps this Johnson>Prince. 

The Bears could be a top 5-6 team if they take a Raven/Titan approach on O.  So simple to see but Nagy be damned if he isn't the mad scientist.

Gipson is way more of a tweener than HHCD, he still has the knack for the ball and is solid in the hole. He is probably not a true SS, but with the way the game is going, he is probably the best fit across from someone like Jackson.

13 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Being in Thailand, I'm doing everything on my phone so copying and pasting is hard for me.  Thanks for posting that.

Gees you've just won fan of the year award in my book.  I hate using my phone for even answering phone calls.  Small apple 5s.  No way could I ever post etc with it. 

On another note.  What is the difference between a 5'10" vs a 6' plus in the box safety.  Isn't their main object to thump the line of scrimmage.  And once in awhile covering a TE out of the backfield?  Just seems that their have been more than a few short SS's in the league.  And one of the highest rated in this draft is only 5'9"  Just wondering and looking for a little education.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Have to say, Pace has put some good work in with these regards in mind.

I know it is a year away, but already thinking 2021 and potential needs: QB, OT, S, DT, RB, ILB.  

Yeah, it feels like a lot but you could say we went into this offseason needing QB, G, S, TE, CB, and ILB. So I would say 6-7 need areas is not uncommon in an offseason. If we can shed some salary, it will make it even easier.

Yea, one of my all time favorite Bears Mike Brown.  5'10" 207.   I will never forget watching those two back to back overtime wins and talking to my late aunt on the phone after each game and going crazy with her.  Which reminds me of a story my mom, her sister, told me about an M.P. during WW2 who had all the wac's swooning at the PX.  Untill he opened his mouth and talked in a high screechy voice just like M. Brown had.

I'm sorry to get off the rails so many times, but that is one of the great joys of sports.  It brings back so many great memories we share with all those we love in ours lives.

8 hours ago, Bill said:

Gees you've just won fan of the year award in my book.  I hate using my phone for even answering phone calls.  Small apple 5s.  No way could I ever post etc with it. 

On another note.  What is the difference between a 5'10" vs a 6' plus in the box safety.  Isn't their main object to thump the line of scrimmage.  And once in awhile covering a TE out of the backfield?  Just seems that their have been more than a few short SS's in the league.  And one of the highest rated in this draft is only 5'9"  Just wondering and looking for a little education.

It's hard to predict injuries but the physics of the sport will never change.  Smaller players must exert more energy and play at a higher level of exertion to deliver the same force as a bigger player.  There are a ton of variables here from the work ethic of individual players, and the types of workouts they do, to speed/momentum of individuals in the collision, etc.   Smaller DBs know this and they are coached to go low on tackles.  Fans know this too and usually enjoy a laugh when a DB tries to tackle a TE up high.  Constantly having to go low for tackles requires an earlier commitment to the tackle and makes a player susceptible to being juked out of the play.   Other requirements of the DB or Safety role require players to run fast and change direction quickly.  Bigger athletes usually struggle in those situations.   

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Mike-Brown-struggles-missing-Bears-Super-Bowl-132758727/