Larry Warford available

Stinger226

The saints just cut pro bowl guard Larry Warford.  He was making 7 mil a year.  IFEDI is here on a 1 yr deal  so he definitely an upgrade.  Let IFEDI battle for RG or you can have him be the swing OT. You probably get Larry for 1 yr 4 mil? I also read the bears are talking to him. 

I like what it does for the run game.

I still wish we had more than Spriggs to challenge at left tackle, but Warford could help a lot at guard and in the running game especially.

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

You can always pray Leno gets hurt.  If that happens I actually think Bars gets the first shot.  Unless Spriggs turns his career around, he is only worthy of a backup role. 

nah. I need someone who can actually replace him and be an upgrade. If Spriggs or Bars is that guy, then I dont need Leno to get hurt, I just need the coaches to see it.

On a team with a pretty deep roster, this is a bad achilles heel to have.

2 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

nah. I need someone who can actually replace him and be an upgrade. If Spriggs or Bars is that guy, then I dont need Leno to get hurt, I just need the coaches to see it.

On a team with a pretty deep roster, this is a bad achilles heel to have.

This year, they should have a choice of a clear way to help.  When the entire right side couldn't perform lest year due to injury and terrible replacements, three is no way to provide help for Leno or replace him.  So, we signed a swing tackle and a starting guard.  That plus leaving Daniels and Whitehair alone will solidify the right side and place Leno in the crosshairs.  Her can easily be helped on passing downs with chip and release from the TE or RB positions.  We definitely aren't where I would like us to be OL wise, but we are way better off than last year.

10 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

This year, they should have a choice of a clear way to help.  When the entire right side couldn't perform lest year due to injury and terrible replacements, three is no way to provide help for Leno or replace him.  So, we signed a swing tackle and a starting guard.  That plus leaving Daniels and Whitehair alone will solidify the right side and place Leno in the crosshairs.  Her can easily be helped on passing downs with chip and release from the TE or RB positions.  We definitely aren't where I would like us to be OL wise, but we are way better off than last year.

I sure hope youre right.

51 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Any scenario where Rashad Cowherd does not start at RG helps us immensely.  Reverse the dominos that got us there and you'll have more faith...😎

oh no doubt. Just because I have deep psychological issues about Leno doesnt mean that I think the rest of the line is good! lol

We need to be able to move people in the running game. And we need to call running plays.

Ifedi will already be an upgrade, and if we can land Warford, that would help a lot too. Leno's problems dont make those positions any better last year for sure. They need help in their own right. ANd Im glad Pace is making those moves.

But I really dont see how any of it matters if Leno plays like he did last year. I am still in disbelief that it hasnt been addressed in a strong way (unless they have more faith in Spriggs than I do).

I do apologize for being a broken record about it, but sheesh.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's what winning franchises do.  Wish we had that OL 

I get it, but go back 2 years and we thought our oline was solid.  Pace thought they would get him to 2021 without having to invest heavy in. Now he is in PANIC mode.  He brought in a handful of pieces that may or may not workout, but he had to toss many darts because our draft was limited the past 2 years. If Warford fits, they should sign him and let Ifedi/Spriggs challenge the OTs.  Next year a first or second needs to be used on another OT as they need the cheaper contract and long term stability.

43 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I get it, but go back 2 years and we thought our oline was solid.  Pace thought they would get him to 2021 without having to invest heavy in. Now he is in PANIC mode.  He brought in a handful of pieces that may or may not workout, but he had to toss many darts because our draft was limited the past 2 years. If Warford fits, they should sign him and let Ifedi/Spriggs challenge the OTs.  Next year a first or second needs to be used on another OT as they need the cheaper contract and long term stability.

totally agree

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's what winning franchises do.  Wish we had that OL problem

This is the same franchise that has fielded historically great offense paired with historically bad defenses.  They are in the last year of a Superbowl window with a Hall of Fame QB.   It's the same franchise that let Mark Ingram leave breaking up a very good running game, yet are paying Jared Cook $9mil this year.  Now they are letting go of a key interior piece to rely on a rookie to protect their QB. 

I really don't know why Warford's play has fallen off, or if it has, but if they are simply doing this (start rookie cut Pro Bowl OG) because of cap issues I don't see how that is great planning or management.  It really seems like they backed themselves into a corner with their cap management.  Plus they are spending $8.5mil on their two kickers.  FG is one thing but a punter for $4mil versus making sure Brees is protected?    

I have banged the bell on OL for years.  I don't care where other problems are, you need a steady pipe line of OL and DL players, always. 

"Much like with the Saints, the Bears' blocking scheme depends greatly on the strength of the inside trio. Tackles are not viewed as important."  Said someone. 

We need more than  vet min.cast offs.  Some times you need a true kick ass player.  Sadly we are cash strapped with more than one contract.  And will be for the foreseeable future with Macks, Foles, and a few others.  Can't keep kicking the can down the road and still build a team for the future.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Just read on Twitter that we have cut off talks with Warford, I suspect to much money.  

Seems like that is true.  I wonder how he would have fit in with our zone scheme since he's said to be a better fit for a power blocking scheme.  I understand the nuances between the two scheme but don't know the details of his skills, nor do I know what blocking scheme we're going to use this season.  I assume it will stay the same.