Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stinger226

Free agency begins

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Be patient they say, I no like.

Finally.  They sign Tavon Young / CB    played NB good player 5'9 

              They sign  Ryan Griffin/TE.  27 rec. 2 Ts for Jets.

I like the Young upside. We all love the Ravens organization and they once made him the highest paid slot corner in the league. Injuries have been an issue, but if healthy he could be a steal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Cruikshank wins competition but may have him at SS and Young at NB. The more bodies, the better.

Greg Gabriel said Cruikshank primarily played Dime for the Titans and excelled at covering TEs. He thinks he'll get a chance to play SS for the Bears. 

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Former KC LB, current FA Anthony Hitchens paid Chicago a visit.  Connection to both Poles (KC). and Eberflus when they were both in Dallas.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Greg Gabriel said Cruikshank primarily played Dime for the Titans and excelled at covering TEs. He thinks he'll get a chance to play SS for the Bears. 

Peace

Then we still need more competition at NB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Then we still need more competition at NB.  

I had read Cruckinshank and Young might be competing for NB and that Graham would be hoped to fill the other outside corner.  Leaving the SS open for draft or still to come FA.  And potentially with a signing by Hitchens not as much need at LB.  
 

Suspect draft will be looking at offense for first 2-3 picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd very much like Hitchens. He's a legit starter in this league. I know the SAM is only gonna play 20ish percent of the time, but you can't just throw a jag out there. He may even be an upgrade over the guy we got from the raiders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I'd very much like Hitchens. He's a legit starter in this league. I know the SAM is only gonna play 20ish percent of the time, but you can't just throw a jag out there. He may even be an upgrade over the guy we got from the raiders. 

If he signs he will get some more playing time than 20% but being he knows the defense, is this where he will want to come? Not having a major role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We signed another LB, Matthew Adams, A ST guy and Backup. Not all players brought in are going to be potential future core players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We signed another LB, Matthew Adams, A ST guy and Backup. Not all players brought in are going to be potential future core players.

Essentially we replaced Iggy or one of the other backup LB as a special teamer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lately we have had O'shaughnessy visit, DeAndre Carter/WR ( signed elsewhere), Anthony Hichens/LB. I think they make a push to add a few more FAs before the draft in a couple of weeks. I don't think they want to be position dependent when they go to draft. I suspect we can get 3 starters out of the draft, if lucky 4. WR, OL, SAM LB, CB, and SS.If we draft a DE or DT early, they will only end up being Rotational players. A high CB or SS could start. Possibly mid round LB. Ideally WR, OG, SS, SAM LB. CB would probably need most of the season before occupying a starter role. I think he brings in a Xaiver Rhodes type of FA that will start. I think if we trade back and get an extra 3rd that could grab a Nick Cross /SS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Lately we have had O'shaughnessy visit, DeAndre Carter/WR ( signed elsewhere), Anthony Hichens/LB. I think they make a push to add a few more FAs before the draft in a couple of weeks. I don't think they want to be position dependent when they go to draft. I suspect we can get 3 starters out of the draft, if lucky 4. WR, OL, SAM LB, CB, and SS.If we draft a DE or DT early, they will only end up being Rotational players. A high CB or SS could start. Possibly mid round LB. Ideally WR, OG, SS, SAM LB. CB would probably need most of the season before occupying a starter role. I think he brings in a Xaiver Rhodes type of FA that will start. I think if we trade back and get an extra 3rd that could grab a Nick Cross /SS. 

Define rotational players when it comes to DT. 

 

While technically true, a DT isn't gonna play every snap, there are still "Starters." Last year Deforest Buckner played 77% of the snaps for Eberflus.  I don't think the Bears have a guy I'd want out there 77% of the time. 

 

DT is very much a day 2 need IMO....unless they bring Larry O back and he's healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I think unless we get a DT in the second round, I doubt he would start day one . We signed Justin Jones to a two year contract so they expect him to be the starter. I think the first two picks  will be OL and WR. At 71  DeMarvin Leaf  could still be there but doubt he would be anything more than a rotation player in his first year. May eventually be good but not day one. Somewhere there may be drafted a Blair Nichols or Akim Hicks but there usually  are not dynamic as a rookie. The top 4 are Davis, Wyatt, Winfrey and Travis Jones, they are ranked in the top 50 , don't think they make it to pick 48. Mathis and Leaf are next. They both may make it to 71. If Wyatt or Winfrey are there at 39, I still think we draft a Tyler Smith or George Pickens before them. One I like that is a DE that can play inside is Logan Hall who could be there at 71. I actually think he would be good enough to eventually be the starter but I think any of them need a yr of physical development at the NFL level before they shine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

 I think unless we get a DT in the second round, I doubt he would start day one . We signed Justin Jones to a two year contract so they expect him to be the starter. I think the first two picks  will be OL and WR. At 71  DeMarvin Leaf  could still be there but doubt he would be anything more than a rotation player in his first year. May eventually be good but not day one. Somewhere there may be drafted a Blair Nichols or Akim Hicks but there usually  are not dynamic as a rookie. The top 4 are Davis, Wyatt, Winfrey and Travis Jones, they are ranked in the top 50 , don't think they make it to pick 48. Mathis and Leaf are next. They both may make it to 71. If Wyatt or Winfrey are there at 39, I still think we draft a Tyler Smith or George Pickens before them. One I like that is a DE that can play inside is Logan Hall who could be there at 71. I actually think he would be good enough to eventually be the starter but I think any of them need a yr of physical development at the NFL level before they shine.

Remember we are running a 4-3 now. I don't really see Jones as a 3 technique.  He had just 18 pressures last year whereas Larry O had over 50. I understand that this year is gonna be mostly about developing Fields but part of that should be putting a competitive defensive out there too so he isn't constantly having to play from a big hole. 

 

I like Logan Hall a lot. He's been my pick in most of my mocks the past few weeks. He's got a lot of the the length that Buckner has. 

 

In my ideal world they go DL, OG, then WR in that order....if the board shakes out right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Remember we are running a 4-3 now. I don't really see Jones as a 3 technique.  He had just 18 pressures last year whereas Larry O had over 50. I understand that this year is gonna be mostly about developing Fields but part of that should be putting a competitive defensive out there too so he isn't constantly having to play from a big hole. 

 

I like Logan Hall a lot. He's been my pick in most of my mocks the past few weeks. He's got a lot of the the length that Buckner has. 

 

In my ideal world they go DL, OG, then WR in that order....if the board shakes out right. 

They think Jones is their 3T, where they draft one will speak a lot as to their faith in him. They left the door open for  Ogunjobi to come back as a possible one yr deal giving him time to let the foot heal. Being he hasn't  been signed by anyone states he's not healed yet. So a small chance he may be back. As much as I understand the BPA  type pick and that  DT is very important in the 4-3 but a defensive player early is not going to make the defense great . So I think Offense will be drafted early and often. How is Fields going to grow unless you give him playmakers and better OL. I think the first  3 are all offensive picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

They think Jones is their 3T, where they draft one will speak a lot as to their faith in him. They left the door open for  Ogunjobi to come back as a possible one yr deal giving him time to let the foot heal. Being he hasn't  been signed by anyone states he's not healed yet. So a small chance he may be back. As much as I understand the BPA  type pick and that  DT is very important in the 4-3 but a defensive player early is not going to make the defense great . So I think Offense will be drafted early and often. How is Fields going to grow unless you give him playmakers and better OL. I think the first  3 are all offensive picks.

I guess we shall see. I really want them to bring in Brown or Fisher. Like realllly want them to. I don't trust any of the LT prospects to protect Fields blindside. That then pushes the need on offense to just OG and WR. I'm bigger on Pringle than most so I'm more than willing to wait till the 3rd to get that WR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting a true LT and a 1WR is imperative for Fields' development.  If you gotta draft multiples to get there, take multiples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Getting a true LT and a 1WR is imperative for Fields' development.  If you gotta draft multiples to get there, take multiples.

Ehhh, with so few picks and so many holes idk if I like that. Trust your scouting. 

 

This team is probably gonna be picking in the top 10 next year. I'd try and grab Brown or Fisher on a 1 year deal then get your franchise LT next year. 

 

I just don't see anyone that's gonna be available worth a pick to play at LT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Tyler Smiths physicality,  but the guy lead all of college in holding calls and there's probably a lot more that didn't get called looking at his tape. He wins a lot by holding and being TOO physical. He also doesn't have the best kick back which is gonna get him in trouble and cause him to reach for those holds. 

 

There's a lot to like, and he fits the mold of what Poles wants, but I just don't know about him surviving on the edge against good pass rushers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I love Tyler Smiths physicality,  but the guy lead all of college in holding calls and there's probably a lot more that didn't get called looking at his tape. He wins a lot by holding and being TOO physical. He also doesn't have the best kick back which is gonna get him in trouble and cause him to reach for those holds. 

 

There's a lot to like, and he fits the mold of what Poles wants, but I just don't know about him surviving on the edge against good pass rushers. 

Tyler may end up being very good but I'm not sure he's ready to start day one. Read a lot of  draft profiles  about him and technique needs a lot of work. Usually LTs that start day one are techno sound and just need  strength and more power to work on. I don't think they will expect a high draft pick to start right away. They will bring in a Brown or Fisher.  Inside OL would be possibly to find a starter, their on an island and can give a player help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There still are a lot of top FAs left. I don't remember this many guys being available a week before the draft:

OL: Tretter, Williams, Fisher, Brown, Reiff, Shell, Flowers, Turner, Crosby, Quessenberry, Paradis
WR: Beckham, Jones, Landry, Fuller, Beasley, Hilton, Sanders, Snead, Cole, Humphries, Sharpe
CB: Harris, Fuller, Callahan, Rhodes, Sherman, Haden, Deisr, Bouye, Trufant, Alford, Carrie
S: Mathieu, Collins, McCourty, Edmunds, Kazee, Tartt, Gipson
DL: Richardson, Hicks, Ogunjobi, Lotulelei, Joseph
LB: Johnson, Van Noy, Barr, Collins, Hightower, Wright, Hitchens, Smith, Kwiatkoski 

Who would you like to see out of this group?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a lot of money to play with too. Brown and Rhodes are musts to me. I may even throw Desir in there as a bargain buy and to really fill out the secondary. 

 

I would have liked Trettor but it seems the Bears really like Patrick at center. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I would have liked Trettor but it seems the Bears really like Patrick at center. 

Patrick likely knows the line calls Getsy wants and even if Trettor might be the better player, getting all 5 guys aligned on blocking assignments has more value.  I don't need to see a repeat of the Brown's game from last year.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×