Bears sign 5x Pro Bowl Safety

scs787

A.) Mundy must have been mediocre so far in OTA's and mini camp

B.) Conte is still safe

I wouldn't say Conte is still safe, all reports I've heard say Brock has a legit chance at starting. Ya, Wilson would be competition for Mundy....A ton of competition at safety in camp, should be interesting to follow.

I wouldn't say Conte is still safe, all reports I've heard say Brock has a legit chance at starting. Ya, Wilson would be competition for Mundy....A ton of competition at safety in camp, should be interesting to follow.

more bodies should give us a better shot at being better, but the position is still a question mark.

I was putting it as safe from not getting cut. Even if Vereen starts which it is looking promising, we still need depth like Conte who is on a cheap rookie contract.

Excellent low risk, high reward signing. This guy was Kam Chancellor before Kam Chancellor, except bigger! He's built like a tank. If he's anywhere near healthy by the time training camp is here, he's the Bears best safety, and it wouldn't surprise me if he and Vareen were starting. It remains a huge question mark as to whether or not he can even stay healthy, but if he can, I really really like this signing.

Adrian Wilson was a phenomal athlete and player for the Cardinals. Certainly he has lost some of that explosive athleticism displayed in the video but he is likely as good an athlete now as the other guys we have on the roster. On top of that he has a ton of experience and leadership which, if he makes the final roster, will help the entire group even if he is not on the field. He was always a class act here in AZ and I think this is another good signing by the front office to add competition to a weak area.

Adrian Wilson was a phenomal athlete and player for the Cardinals. Certainly he has lost some of that explosive athleticism displayed in the video but he is likely as good an athlete now as the other guys we have on the roster. On top of that he has a ton of experience and leadership which, if he makes the final roster, will help the entire group even if he is not on the field. He was always a class act here in AZ and I think this is another good signing by the front office to add competition to a weak area.

When I first saw that he was signed I was pretty ecstatic. But after reading about his injury history I'm a little concerned. Since the Pats were willing to take a chance on him ( and for three years originally) then I think it's a pretty good deal. If Jeremiah Ratliff can come back and contribute as well as he did late last year, despite his injures and age so too can Wilson. Think it would be good to have another player like him in the backfield with someone like Tillman still in the mix.

When I first saw that he was signed I was pretty ecstatic. But after reading about his injury history I'm a little concerned. Since the Pats were willing to take a chance on him ( and for three years originally) then I think it's a pretty good deal. If Jeremiah Ratliff can come back and contribute as well as he did late last year, despite his injures and age so too can Wilson. Think it would be good to have another player like him in the backfield with someone like Tillman still in the mix.

The way I look at it is IF he can stay healthy he can be a huge upgrade at safety. The 1st half of our schedule poses the greatest challenge from what I can project so IMO if Wilson can stay healthy for the stretch prior to our BYE week, it could give us a lift for that portion of our schedule and give our rookie a chance to learn from an outstanding player. To me it is a win win situation with little or no risk if it fails.

Agreed.

At minimum, he could be a good stop-gap until next years' draft where we could seriously upgrade the safety position.

The way I look at it is IF he can stay healthy he can be a huge upgrade at safety. The 1st half of our schedule poses the greatest challenge from what I can project so IMO if Wilson can stay healthy for the stretch prior to our BYE week, it could give us a lift for that portion of our schedule and give our rookie a chance to learn from an outstanding player. To me it is a win win situation with little or no risk if it fails.

I don't know that he's a huge upgrade. Of course the standard for upgrade is set very low in this situation but Wilson's last year in AZ wasn't great. He's older and coming off an achilles tendon injury, which most athletes say takes well beyond a year to truly recover from, is not going to help. I will be happy if he makes the roster but I don't even know that he'd be our starter. Then at the very bottom end of the roster he has to compete with the guys who will play special teams. I don't see him doing special teams but who knows what he's agreed to. If he were our starter I don't know that he can last a full season and the fact he beat out the other players would make me even more nervous about our backups. Signing a guy with the hope he can make it halfway through the season isn't an ideal spot to be in.

I love having him in camp and I certainly hope for the best. I just think we need to temper expectations for his level of play even if he ends up our starter. His last season in AZ he wasn't even used in Nickel situations.