Cutler sucks

NAMEDSONPAYTON2

Lawrence Holmes wrote a great article today discussing the Bears game against Carolina. He also brought up an interesting quote from a former NFL exec that I thought was profound.

The exec said about Cutler, he's always leery of quarterbacks who had to do everything for their college teams because they develop bad habits. Simple, yet so true. I had never had that thought cross my mind before, but it makes complete sense when you think about the kind of pressure that was put on Cutler at Vanderbilt. He was the SEC offensive player of the year coming out of the draft, which says a lot for Vanderbilt. I believe they also had a losing record that year, which tells you just how difficult it must have been for Cutler to even win that award despite the team not being all that talented.

There were some other things in his article that were spot on, but that quote was the one that stood out to me the most. It's making me reconsider certain quarterbacks coming into the draft that I might have otherwise liked. Johnny Manziel, for instance, comes to mind right away.

Vandy was 2-10, 2-10, 2-8, and 5-6 when Cutler was there. He was a combined 11-34.

Statistically speaking, this is Cutler's best year, highest QB Rating, QBR, Yards per game, Comp%, and TDs. The only drawback is he is now tied for the league lead in INTs (6) with Luck, Ryan, Brees, Fitzpatrick, Bortles, and Smith.

We just need to put together one complete game and start the ball rolling on a winning streak.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only drawback is he is now tied for the league lead in INTs (6) with Luck, Ryan, Brees, Fitzpatrick, Bortles, and Smith.

We just need to put together one complete game and start the ball rolling on a winning streak.

The above stat is why I, as a fan, am most frustrated. And equally frustrated about the second part of what you posted. If the team could somehow put together a winning streak, this discussion would be null and void. If, the Defense was like it had been before (and scoring their own TD's on occasion) there wouldn't be as much pressure on Cutler. His negative stats would be more a footnote than a headline. If Hester (or any competent returner) were on the team and getting the team in better field position (paired with a great defense) again, this all would be moot.

But, the fact that Cutler IS having problems and just signed a huge contract, the expectation is for him to take the lead and set the pace. There is no way I can expect Kyle Fuller, Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton or Brock Vereen to take the defense and make them into the powerhouse they once were. Not when compared to the expectations we should have for Cutler.

The above stat is why I, as a fan, am most frustrated. And equally frustrated about the second part of what you posted. If the team could somehow put together a winning streak, this discussion would be null and void. If, the Defense was like it had been before (and scoring their own TD's on occasion) there wouldn't be as much pressure on Cutler. His negative stats would be more a footnote than a headline. If Hester (or any competent returner) were on the team and getting the team in better field position (paired with a great defense) again, this all would be moot.

But, the fact that Cutler IS having problems and just signed a huge contract, the expectation is for him to take the lead and set the pace. There is no way I can expect Kyle Fuller, Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton or Brock Vereen to take the defense and make them into the powerhouse they once were. Not when compared to the expectations we should have for Cutler.

Agreed....

How much of the other problems would have been addressed had Cutler not been paid so much?

He is not producing up to his contract.....

It's not his fault because he isn't the one who gave himself the contract obviously.

If ya wanna have beef with someone, have beef with Emery, and probably Trestman as well who probably had a lot of say in what he wanted to do with the QB situation.

He took the money....so it is his fault.

Really...I wouldn't take the money if I couldn't deliver...would you?

Really dude.

Well first of all you don't know that you're "not gonna perform" and secondly you're damn right I'd take whatever contract given to me. You're kidding yourself if you say you wouldn't.

Did anybody notice that 2 straights weeks, Trestman called out Marshall.

In reading the article from Mullin, I got the feeling Trestman wanted to actually call out Cutler more than anyone. It just so happened that looked to point at BM for making the mistake. I have to think Mullin was onto something since earlier in the season there was that other "miscommunication" with Bennett when Cutler threw the short pass behind him and was INT. There have been others over the years that fall prey to "miscommunication" issues that result in INT's. The receivers (and excuses) change but one element remains constant. Cutler.

In reading the article from Mullin, I got the feeling Trestman wanted to actually call out Cutler more than anyone. It just so happened that looked to point at BM for making the mistake. I have to think Mullin was onto something since earlier in the season there was that other "miscommunication" with Bennett when Cutler threw the short pass behind him and was INT. There have been others over the years that fall prey to "miscommunication" issues that result in INT's. The receivers (and excuses) change but one element remains constant. Cutler.

Probably. Hey, real quick, name one QB who never has communication problems with his WR's. Thanks.

Marshall is clearly off whether it is injury or the effects of the domestic abuse stuff being revisited. Something is going on.

The whole domestic abuse thing crossed my mind as well. I'm hoping it's more injury than a "Relapse" so to speak. Or perhaps it was just the double teams he and Jeffery saw last week that resulted in him having a down day.