Hundley at QB in draft ?

Guest TerraTor

But will also hold every QB record in Bears franchise history.... Love him or hate him, the Bears haven't produced better

His records are due to longevity and the era he is playing in.

How has the Bears franchise been since he took over? The Bears have been in the playoffs once and won 1 out of 11 games against their biggest rival. His 6 years has been a dark era.

The Bears won't produce better than that, until they unhitch their wagon from Cutler. If the Bears stuck with Kordell Stewart for 6 years, he'd hold all the records too. He'd still be a bad QB.

How has the Bears franchise been since he took over? The Bears have been in the playoffs once and won 1 out of 11 games against their biggest rival. His 6 years has been a dark era.

The Bears won't produce better than that, until they unhitch their wagon from Cutler. If the Bears stuck with Kordell Stewart for 6 years, he'd hold all the records too. He'd still be a bad QB.

The reality of Cutler is this: love him or hate him, he is still one of the top 15 QB's on the world. They don't grow on trees. I have major issues with him. It's kinda like hating your boss, in the sense that his replacement may be worse.

I look at it more like a girl in a drunk or abusive relationship. The girl hopes the guy will change one day, makes excuses for him. She can fear the change, how hard it will to find someone new, taking on the bills, but in the end only a clean break will do. It's a doomed relationship, and the guy just is who he is.

With all due respect to everyone else; claiming Cutler's place in Bears' QB lore isn't much to hold the beacon of exceptional QB play against. He may end up holding all of the records, which is a reflection of just how piss poor the play has been from this franchise. The problem is that Jay always morphs into bad Jay, whether its forcing the ball into triple coverage, or holding the ball too long, or the classic "I need to carry the game here at the end, oops, I just threw another interception to a D-lineman"

Did jay cutler screw your girlfriend or something?

When talking about Jay and interceptions I'm reminded of when Hawk Harrelson talks about Bert Blylevin and other pitchers who gave up a ton of home runs. He always said you have to be a a really good pitcher to give up that many home runs in your career, because if you're not a good pitcher and gave up all them home runs you wouldn't be in the league to give those up.

Same goes for Brett Favre who twice lead the league in interceptions.

I thought you were the one screwing Jay, there's no other reason for you to want to keep him around.

We need to let the new GM decide on the new coach and the new coach decide on Cutler. The fact is him being here might be our best option as we try to develop a new QB. Lets say you have a large nose, cutting it off doesnt improve it, just get it fixed.

Cutler and the offense were only part of the problem, the defense and special teams were historically bad and accounted for most of the problems. 8 of the losses we allowed 27 or more.

CAR is going to get blown out the next game but is amazing how good LB play can impact the entire game.

Lovie firing Rivera was the turning point in the franchise. We have never recovered from that point.

I was thinking about Rivera as well while watching the Panthers Cards Game and I totally agree with you. Perhaps Lovie ego felt threatened and wanted his way or highway. Firing Rivera was definitely a very stupid and costly mistake for this franchise.

I was thinking about Rivera as well while watching the Panthers Cards Game and I totally agree with you. Perhaps Lovie ego felt threatened and wanted his way or highway. Firing Rivera was definitely a very stupid and costly mistake for this franchise.

Yeah the defense went to hell after he left. Looking back, he had more of an impact on the defense than Lovie ever did. Look how good TB's defense looked this year with Lovie's touch. They got worse.

I have not watched college football this year so I ask this being totally clueless in regards to this years prospects declaring for the draft.

From what I read of his Bowl Performance I wonder what makes Hundley any different than dozens of QBs I have seen taken in past drafts who were described as having "raw skills as a QB" but had success at the college level do to his athleticism.

I have seen too may of these types of QB prospects drafted who seem to always fail at QB, attempt to convert to RB, fail at RB, and then get cut and wind up out of the NFL before their first contract expires.

It happens far too often, from big names like "Johnny Football" (I think he will be a total bust) to QBs not as highly regarded.

I am only asking because, as I said, I have no knowledge of the prospects in this year's draft.

I wouldn't take Hundley @ 7, but if he was there in 2nd, I'd take him all day long. Hundley's make-up is off the charts. Biggest issue is can he develop. Really didn't see a lot of him this year (in terms of steps forward). However, if you look at his tools he's a better QB than Mariotta in my opinion. Bottom line, only QB worthy of a top 10 pick in this draft is Jamison and that is a major question mark due to his overall make-up.

Kordell wasn't good enough to have a new contract offered to him. He didn't cost 2-1st round draft picks either. I only support Jay because I think it would be foolish to get rid of him until a capable replacement can be groomed. There are no perfect candidates that will ever hit FA, teams do not let go of those players. We hold the #7 pick and there still isn't a qb worth that risk to groom into a franchise qb. Hopefully by the 2016 draft, there will be one. How Jay needs to be handled is not to coddle him, he starts getting careless with the ball, you sit him.

I look at it more like a girl in a drunk or abusive relationship. The girl hopes the guy will change one day, makes excuses for him. She can fear the change, how hard it will to find someone new, taking on the bills, but in the end only a clean break will do. It's a doomed relationship, and the guy just is who he is.

This coming from someone who thinks Josh McDaniel s would be a good head coach. Terrible analogy!

I thought you were the one screwing Jay, there's no other reason for you to want to keep him around.

Nope, I just dont have some deep seeded hatred for him.

Did the Bears freak up by paying him so much.....yes. Have I been a Cutler supporter....yep, but have admitted I was wrong in thinking he could be an elite QB. He is not and will never be one but you sir are wrong in thinking Jay Cutler is not in the top 15 QB's and with the right coaching could be top 10.

Jay Cutler can be a decent bridge to a future QB. The Bears can either cut/trade him and start over or try to win with him next year while developing a new QB.

I'd prefer to try to win next year while developing a young QB.

I do think Trestman was so terrible at being a HC that with the right hire the Bears may win two more games next year just by that. Then take some pressure off Cutler like Dallas did by actually running the ball we could see 2 more wins, add some more defense talent through the draft and FA and we could get to 10 wins.

Dallas is bad comparison. Having the second best running game is going to help any team. You can't just will the second best running game. They have one of the best offensive lines in the league. They have a very hard running back that can take the punishment they are giving out.

To achieve that on the Bears, you would need to dedicate resources to bringing in 3 or 4 new offensive linemen to upgrade from above average to great, and new running back. The fact that Dallas has the second highest rated QB of all time doesn't hurt. I'm not talking this year, Romo is the second highest rated QB all time. The great running game and decent defense has just amplified a very good QB, not covered up a very flawed one.

It's not a deep seeded hatred for Cutler. It's just being set in reality. It's not the blind faith that you have.

In the games Cutler has won, he has a QB rating comparable to Romo's average. In the games he has lost, he has a 70 QB rating. With Cutler, basically half the games you are getting a competent QB, and half you get a QB you can't win with.

It's not hatred to observe a QB that has trouble reading defenses, making progressions, bad footwork and poor mechanics overall, and on and so on with Cutler.

It's just the desire to avoid wasting 2 more years on a QB that has proven to not be the answer.

QB rating has to be an extremely flawed stat....I mean Jay Cutler has the 25th highest all time....There are only 4 hall of fame qbs ahead of him.

Stats in general are flawed when comparing today to years ago. Today's rules have been tweaked to favor the QB, WR's, and higher scoring games.

In general, a top QB rating in comparison to other QBs in their era generally mean you played well. A poor QB rating usually means a QB played poorly. It's in the middle where it can get murky.

Romo is not the 2nd best QB all time or even right now based on his career quarterback rating, but Romo is a very good QB. I'd put him in the pack right behind the 4 truly elite QB's. He's in the mix with Rivers, Luck, Ryan, and Roethlisberger. Their running game didn't make him a top QB, he already was.

Dallas is bad comparison. Having the second best running game is going to help any team. You can't just will the second best running game. They have one of the best offensive lines in the league. They have a very hard running back that can take the punishment they are giving out.

To achieve that on the Bears, you would need to dedicate resources to bringing in 3 or 4 new offensive linemen to upgrade from above average to great, and new running back. The fact that Dallas has the second highest rated QB of all time doesn't hurt. I'm not talking this year, Romo is the second highest rated QB all time. The great running game and decent defense has just amplified a very good QB, not covered up a very flawed one.

It's not a deep seeded hatred for Cutler. It's just being set in reality. It's not the blind faith that you have.

In the games Cutler has won, he has a QB rating comparable to Romo's average. In the games he has lost, he has a 70 QB rating. With Cutler, basically half the games you are getting a competent QB, and half you get a QB you can't win with.

It's not hatred to observe a QB that has trouble reading defenses, making progressions, bad footwork and poor mechanics overall, and on and so on with Cutler.

It's just the desire to avoid wasting 2 more years on a QB that has proven to not be the answer.

Are you sure that Jay Cutler is the person who has proven not to be the answer? I'm certainly not convinced.

He was tenth in TDs this year, and would have had more if he weren't benched for a game - during his best year for the Bears, BTW - and essentially shut down the final game of the year. Essentially he played 14 games this year, and was 10th in TDs. 28 TDs, which is nearly 2 per game no matter how you slice it, and then add a few for the last two games (you decide how many). That would have put him at 6th or 7th in the league. And this is all while:

1) The OL sucked at blocking, for the 5th time in his 6 years with the Bears.

2) An OL that had more false starts than I care to remember.

3) A historically bad defense and special teams causes the offense to press, and requires a score every time (something the opponents know). Jay can win with a decent defense.

4) The offensive system had issues with communication, where a WR would turn left and Jay would throw right.

Stats in general are flawed when comparing today to years ago. Today's rules have been tweaked to favor the QB, WR's, and higher scoring games.

In general, a top QB rating in comparison to other QBs in their era generally mean you played well. A poor QB rating usually means a QB played poorly. It's in the middle where it can get murky.

Romo is not the 2nd best QB all time or even right now based on his career quarterback rating, but Romo is a very good QB. I'd put him in the pack right behind the 4 truly elite QB's. He's in the mix with Rivers, Luck, Ryan, and Roethlisberger. Their running game didn't make him a top QB, he already was.

Just wanted to point this out.

Guess who had the same INT% as Jay Cutler? Phillip Rivers, a guy you have in the mix as a really good qb. Lucks wasn't that much better either.