Shanny may interview with the Bears

Chitownhustla

There are some pro's and con's with Shanny, as there are with every guy.

Let me ask you guys this:

Bowles or Shanny? Cant decide

Toub or Shanny? Shanny

Gase or Shanny? Shanny

Quinn or Shanny? I could go either way on this one

Kubiak or Shanny? I could go either way on this one

There is a part of me that is intrigued by Bowles after reading up on him, but then I think about hiring a guy with actual HC experience and tend to lean that way.

As we have seen with Trestman, the Bears HC will need to form a great coaching staff. I wonder which of these guys would be able to bring in the best staff?

I am a Bowles / Toub / Shanny fine with me kind of guy. I kind of prefer Bowles / Toub but Shanny has something about him as well. I just don't want Jay thinking we are catering to him, etc. That said, Shanny was about the only guy to make Jake the Snake and RG III look good so it isn't as if he only had success with Elway. Yeah, his superbowls came with him, but he made the playoffs with a few other QB's as well. I also think the idea of having Shanny and Kubiak on the offensive side is great, but the question is, could we lure Rex Ryan to be our DC? What a man can dream. If that was the lineup of the staff, I'd be all for Shanny haha.

I am a Bowles / Toub / Shanny fine with me kind of guy. I kind of prefer Bowles / Toub but Shanny has something about him as well. I just don't want Jay thinking we are catering to him, etc. That said, Shanny was about the only guy to make Jake the Snake and RG III look good so it isn't as if he only had success with Elway. Yeah, his superbowls came with him, but he made the playoffs with a few other QB's as well. I also think the idea of having Shanny and Kubiak on the offensive side is great, but the question is, could we lure Rex Ryan to be our DC? What a man can dream. If that was the lineup of the staff, I'd be all for Shanny haha.

On the score, if Rex Ryan takes the Falcons job it could increase our chances with Bowles.

PFT is saying they intend to interview him...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...eneral-manager/

Report: Bears to interview Mike Shanahan when they hire a general manager

Posted by Josh Alper on January 6, 2015, 9:03 AM EST

Denver Broncos v Dallas Cowboys

Getty Images

Mike Shanahan interviewed for one of his old jobs when he spoke to the Raiders about their head coaching vacancy and he may also get a shot at taking a walk down memory lane in Chicago.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Bears are expected to interview Shanahan after they hire a general manager. There’s no word on when that will happen, although reported favorite Chris Ballard is interviewing with the team on Wednesday after passing up chances to interview for other openings recently.

Shanahan never coached the Bears, but he did coach Bears quarterback Jay Cutler in Denver when Cutler first hit the NFL. With Cutler’s contract difficult to trade and cutting him prohibitively expensive, it may be a plus for Shanahan that he’s worked with the quarterback (and wide receiver Brandon Marshall) in the past.

Shanahan is drawing a lot of other interest around the league, though, and he may get a chance to go somewhere where there isn’t quite so much toxicity in the relationship between quarterback and fan base.

There are some pro's and con's with Shanny, as there are with every guy.

Let me ask you guys this:

Bowles or Shanny? Cant decide

Toub or Shanny? Shanny

Gase or Shanny? Shanny

Quinn or Shanny? I could go either way on this one

Kubiak or Shanny? I could go either way on this one

There is a part of me that is intrigued by Bowles after reading up on him, but then I think about hiring a guy with actual HC experience and tend to lean that way.

As we have seen with Trestman, the Bears HC will need to form a great coaching staff. I wonder which of these guys would be able to bring in the best staff?

I just don't want Jay thinking we are catering to him, etc.

OK, I get the Cutler hate some here have but I'm never going to understand the coddling/catering references.

I've been a Bears fan for closing in on 50 years. And in that time I've never seen anyone with Cutler's skills play the position. Jimmy Mac had way better leadership skills and there were a few other solid guys at the position (Miller/Kramer). Beyond that, we've had way worse QB's hang on year after year simply because it's not easy to find someone better.

So, if you've got a someone better via free agency or in the draft, fine. I can live with the burn down the house philosophy to get a clean break from an unpleasant recent history. But frankly, just because you bring in a guy who might have worked with Cutler before (I'm not a fan of Shanny for other reasons) or you get him support in building the O Line, whatever, you aren't coddling the guy. You're building a better football team. Jay might benefit from that but beyond the personal reasons some may have to hate him, isn't something that benefits Jay technically good for us as fans? Shouldn't we want our QB to finish the games clean with great stats?

Carry on...

OK, I get the Cutler hate some here have but I'm never going to understand the coddling/catering references.

I've been a Bears fan for closing in on 50 years. And in that time I've never seen anyone with Cutler's skills play the position. Jimmy Mac had way better leadership skills and there were a few other solid guys at the position (Miller/Kramer). Beyond that, we've had way worse QB's hang on year after year simply because it's not easy to find someone better.

So, if you've got a someone better via free agency or in the draft, fine. I can live with the burn down the house philosophy to get a clean break from an unpleasant recent history. But frankly, just because you bring in a guy who might have worked with Cutler before (I'm not a fan of Shanny for other reasons) or you get him support in building the O Line, whatever, you aren't coddling the guy. You're building a better football team. Jay might benefit from that but beyond the personal reasons some may have to hate him, isn't something that benefits Jay technically good for us as fans? Shouldn't we want our QB to finish the games clean with great stats?

Carry on...

I am totally fine sticking with Jay. I just don't want anyone making the Shanny decision because we invested so much money in Jay. I want them to hire Shanny because they think he is the best coaching candidate, period. If him and Ballard ultimately want Jay or to give Jay a year, fine, but don't hire him and than get rid of Jay in a year and than say oh well Shanny is no longer a good fit. Get him because you think he's the best. He'd certainly clean up the lockeroom and give you instant leadership and he's made the playoffs with a lot of different QB's (which is not easy to do).

I am totally fine sticking with Jay. I just don't want anyone making the Shanny decision because we invested so much money in Jay. I want them to hire Shanny because they think he is the best coaching candidate, period. If him and Ballard ultimately want Jay or to give Jay a year, fine, but don't hire him and than get rid of Jay in a year and than say oh well Shanny is no longer a good fit. Get him because you think he's the best. He'd certainly clean up the lockeroom and give you instant leadership and he's made the playoffs with a lot of different QB's (which is not easy to do).

Cool. I like that logic.

I'm not on board with Shanny as I don't think he's really accomplished anything since 1998. I do like the idea of having a guy here who instantly gives us credibility but I just think Shanny is too big a douche.

Cool. I like that logic.

I'm not on board with Shanny as I don't think he's really accomplished anything since 1998. I do like the idea of having a guy here who instantly gives us credibility but I just think Shanny is too big a douche.

I like the idea if Ballard and Shanny can work together. I think Shanny had far too much at his plate once he took over personnel items, etc. If they are able to get on the same page and have a good working relationship, I truly believe Shanny the coach is one of the very best. Problem is, Shanny the roster guy, isn't the whiz.

Sometimes bringing in older and more experienced is the way to go. Look at the Giants approach with Coughlin. Shanny also should have a good network of coaches to call upon, compared to an up and coming coordinator. Since I have no say on what the Bears will do, I just try to stay optimistic with their decisions.

I have some concerns about Shanny but then again I thought the NYG were nuts to hire Coughlin when he flopped in his last HC position. I was obviously wrong about Coughlin so hopefully I am wrong about Shanny if he is hired.

He obviously has the experience, and I am sure has a lot of good candidates that would come in as OC & DC as well as position coaches.

As long as he is in the role of HC & NOT HC/GM I think he will be fine. Not sure if he would accept that role but if he is uncomfortable with it as far as I am concerned he can go elsewhere.

Sometimes bringing in older and more experienced is the way to go.

I don't have any problem with older dudes. Just want a guy who can boast more than one playoff win in his last 14 seasons! FOURTEEN YEARS!!!

If we got rid of Lovie Smith because he couldn't take us to the next level, why replace him with a guy with a worse track record in that area?

He obviously has the experience, and I am sure has a lot of good candidates that would come in as OC & DC.

Maybe, but if so, why did he hire his son as OC? If all these outstanding candidates are in his rolodex, how'd he end up with Shanny Jr?

The dude is a douche egomaniac. I'm a no vote on Shanny.

Maybe, but if so, why did he hire his son as OC? If all these outstanding candidates are in his rolodex, how'd he end up with Shanny Jr?

The dude is a douche egomaniac. I'm a no vote on Shanny.

My guess is a lot of "good candidates" wanted nothing to do with "Danny Boy"

I was surprised Shanny trusted Snyder. Must have been a mighty big check he was offered (and guaranteed).

Talk about a total douche bag, aka Snyder.

Talk about a total douche bag, aka Snyder.

Couldn't agree more. As many here have pointed out their dissatisfaction with Bears ownership, at least they're not Snyder level bad. Similar to Jerry Jones or Al Davis. Ugh.

That being said if this Ballard character gets the GM job I have a concern with potential toxicity between he and a coach like Shannahan. Shanny has had a taste of personnel management (above HC) and might prove difficult to manage for a newly minted GM like Ballard. Now I've been a fan of Shannys as head coach since this started but with what I'm hearing about Blallard I'm getting a sense it might be better to go with a less experienced HC.

That be the case and IF Ballard gets the GM job I'd have to say either Bowles or Toub would be my two preferred choices before Shanny. Of course being a part of the interview process would alleviate some or most of that concern. That's why if Ballard is made GM he'll be entrusted to make the best choice. And from what I'm hearing that may not be so bad.

Kind of a double edged sword.

I would love a HC with previous experience but, of course, that means he was fired somewhere else for what ever reason.

Some retreads work out, some do not.

On the other hand some inexperienced HCs have been hired and worked out great. (SF, Balt, Pit, etc...)

Some were, as we have found out repeatedly, sucked.

It goes back to what was written once before, the Bears have hired only 1 HC in the history of the franchise (other than Halas himself) that had previous experience as a HC, and that guy was 10 years removed from coaching the Chicago Cardinals!

Carry on...

Couldn't agree more CrackerDog! Trading Cutler or cutting him is not going to make this team better and would be an irresponsible football decision to do so without a better replacement. I have high expectations for Jay and will root for him to succeed as long as he is a Bear. The rest of the fans should do the same.

I would say my order of preference would be: Bowles, Quinn, Kubiak, and Toub, and I would not be interested in Shanny. Obviously Bowles and Quinn for their defensive prowess, Kubiak for his ties with Cutler and Zone Block Scheme), and Toub for his blue collar style and ties to the Bears (seen as good and bad). I would be ok with any of them to be honest.