Bears Hire Josh Lucas as Director of Player Personnel

bradjock

Ok

Yeah... Meh.

They sure didn't do a big 'promotional to buyer' campaign did they? He's Cum Laude from Harvard (which is spectacular) but played football there for two years (whooppeee) and was on Jaksonville's staff (with Tucker??? - gulp) before working for NO. Where they went " 5-11 last season". Remind me that whomever authored this to never do my resume.

Yeah... Meh.

They sure didn't do a big 'promotional to buyer' campaign did they? He's Cum Laude from Harvard (which is spectacular) but played football there for two years (whooppeee) and was on Jaksonville's staff (with Tucker??? - gulp) before working for NO. Where they went " 5-11 last season". Remind me that whomever authored this to never do my resume.

Hey , just because he came from ConnerBears' hometown (just kidding!) doesn't mean a thing. I am glad this kid is getting his trusted team in order.

Yeah... Meh.

Why do you ignore the fact he was there when they won the Superbowl?

My initial response was, "Didn't he coach the Cleveland Cavaliers? Why is he our new player director???" Nope. That was John Lucas.

Other than never having heard of this guy, I hope he's good. After signing Fox, I'm happy to give our new GM the benefit of the doubt.

On a side note, did anyone hear the press conference from the new 49er's coach Jim Tomsula? I only know of it from the Boers and Bernstein show. He sounds like my drunk uncle I don't want to talk to at family parties. He might be a great coach, and if he is, I'd take him. But he sounds like my drunk uncle and neither one has been a head coach before. All things being equal, it's real nice to have people running our team who can speak effectively to the media.

And who was the DC that year? Not that that is my point but if you're going to promote someone (in the sense of talking about their positives, why wouldnt the author mention that? Bad salesmanship.

But no matter. This guys influence on the whole scheme of things is sorta irrelevant. More ceremonial than anything. If he doesn't cut it... In doing whatever he's supposed to do... I'm sure Pace will handle it. Like I said he's a. Graduate of Harvard so he must be smart.

My initial response was, "Didn't he coach the Cleveland Cavaliers? Why is he our new player director???" Nope. That was John Lucas.

Other than never having heard of this guy, I hope he's good. After signing Fox, I'm happy to give our new GM the benefit of the doubt.

On a side note, did anyone hear the press conference from the new 49er's coach Jim Tomsula? I only know of it from the Boers and Bernstein show. He sounds like my drunk uncle I don't want to talk to at family parties. He might be a great coach, and if he is, I'd take him. But he sounds like my drunk uncle and neither one has been a head coach before. All things being equal, it's real nice to have people running our team who can speak effectively to the media.

I tried to listen to that press conference and could only stomach 10 or so min of the full hour long thing lol. After about 10 min I feared for my IQ and instead listened to the condensed versions. What are they thinking? They go from Harbaugh to promoting this boob? I too first heard about it on the Score and man…. if your ever feeling bummed about your team… watch that lol

And who was the DC that year? Not that that is my point but if you're going to promote someone (in the sense of talking about their positives, why wouldnt the author mention that? Bad salesmanship.

But no matter. This guys influence on the whole scheme of things is sorta irrelevant. More ceremonial than anything. If he doesn't cut it... In doing whatever he's supposed to do... I'm sure Pace will handle it. Like I said he's a. Graduate of Harvard so he must be smart.

Going to Harvard does not mean you are smart. Many people get accepted for a variety of reasons not the least of which is how much money your family has or how connected your family is. We can find proof of the lack of intelligence at the highest levels of our government but you only need to look at this to know how "smart" they are: http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2009...ard-18-billion/ …and then someone else from Harvard decided this was a good thing and put this guy in charge of our nation's economy.

I don't really care much about this guy we hired because we have no basis for knowing if a scout or personnel guy is good until they get to a true decision making level. He's a guy Pace has worked with for the last 8 years so he knows him well and he's going to rely on him to setup our scouting department. What we do know from this is that we are going to strongly mimic what the Saints have done in their talent evaluations. Their defensive performance the last few years isn't awe inspiring.

I tried to listen to that press conference and could only stomach 10 or so min of the full hour long thing lol. After about 10 min I feared for my IQ and instead listened to the condensed versions. What are they thinking? They go from Harbaugh to promoting this boob? I too first heard about it on the Score and man…. if your ever feeling bummed about your team… watch that lol

Yeah, I was watching the Illinois-Michigan basketball game. Harbaugh walks in center-court and addresses 15,000 fans. After he was done I thought, "Damn I'd like that guy to coach my team." His speech didn't make a difference between wins and losses, but your head coach is the face of the franchise.

How the hell does San Fran replace Harbaugh with a guy who can't articulate an intelligent thought?

Their defensive performance the last few years isn't awe inspiring.

To be fair, the Bears did hire a D minded HC and in pursuit of one of the best DC's in the league over he last 4 years. Plus Pace was a D player in college, maybe with them making the calls it will be more impressive than NO.

One thing the Bears have now is depth. They have a lot of solid players on D. Guys you might not want to start, but if you have to they are there. Pace just needs to find some stars. How he handles the Cutler situation and this draft will have a huge impact on how I view him. Right now, I'm trying to leave it at a blank slate given the Fox hire. Even though I was leery of his hire considering the Saints personnel.

Yeah... Meh.

Lucas left in 2004 and Tucker didnt go to Jacksonville until 2009, so the point is not only wrong but pointless anyways.

Lucas left in 2004 and Tucker didnt go to Jacksonville until 2009, so the point is not only wrong but pointless anyways.

So you "got me". Good job. Still, what kind of powerhouse is Jacksonville again? The point made, in regard to that, was both (this guy and Tucker) had history there. And the fact you don't get my point really doesn't surprise me. Probably too much liquid drano.

Going to Harvard does not mean you are smart. Many people get accepted for a variety of reasons not the least of which is how much money your family has or how connected your family is. We can find proof of the lack of intelligence at the highest levels of our government but you only need to look at this to know how "smart" they are: http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2009...ard-18-billion/ …and then someone else from Harvard decided this was a good thing and put this guy in charge of our nation's economy.

I don't really care much about this guy we hired because we have no basis for knowing if a scout or personnel guy is good until they get to a true decision making level. He's a guy Pace has worked with for the last 8 years so he knows him well and he's going to rely on him to setup our scouting department. What we do know from this is that we are going to strongly mimic what the Saints have done in their talent evaluations. Their defensive performance the last few years isn't awe inspiring.

So are we agreeing or disagreeing that this is really irrelevant? And that this guy needs a better PR person or???

I think the important thing to remember is that Pace is looking to structure his staff with people he can trust and knows will be on the same page as him when it comes to philosophies & procedures. Hiring someone who has worked with him for the past 10 years in NOLA seems a good idea to me.

So are we agreeing or disagreeing that this is really irrelevant? And that this guy needs a better PR person or???

Probably disagreeing because I think it's pointless to worry about a personnel guy having a better PR person working for him.

I think the important thing to remember is that Pace is looking to structure his staff with people he can trust and knows will be on the same page as him when it comes to philosophies & procedures. Hiring someone who has worked with him for the past 10 years in NOLA seems a good idea to me.

You're right. The guy just needs. Someone else to write his announcements. I'm sure it'll turn out to be a good hire.