Deflategate

Alaskan Grizzly

Regardless of everything I just wrote, the Pats broke the rule and deserve to get punished.

For all you guys that are on the side that Tom Brady sees some type of performance lift by underinflated footballs why can no one explain why his performance in the SB did not suffer because he used a 12.5 psi ball????? In the biggest game of the year, the most pressure packed game a qb will play,Tom Brady had to throw a 12.5 pound ball and he still did what Tom Brady has been doing ever since he started in the NFL.

Tom Brady is an all time great, but I do think the team would have a benefit from under inflated balls. Be it less fumbles, easier to catch balls in that rainy weather, or just comfort for old man Tom it's an advantage to me. Tom seems to think so too, if he is breaking the rules and lying about it.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep bringing up the same point, but have not answered these...

1. The deflated ball could have helped in the Colts game. Who is to say that Brady doesn't score 80 points in the 2nd half of that game with his preferred balls? Just because the first half was close, just means the first half was close. Ever see a Bulls game w/ Jordan? Lot's of times, they slept through the first halves of games only to destroy in the 2nd. If you looked at the first quarter of SB 20, you'd almost think the Bears would be beaten...$hit happens. It doesn't always correlate to absolutes.

2. Again, who is to say Brady's preferred deflated balls could have resulted in a game that didn't come down to just Pete Carroll making the dumbest call in football history? Maybe they win by 3 TD's?

The problem, as mentioned earlier, is we don't really know.

But, at least you agree that rules were broken and puishment need to be handed down. At the end of the day, that is really the crux.

Anyone that wants to argue that Tom Brady performance changes with a 12.5 ball compared to a 11.5 ball clearly missed the 2nd half of the Colts game and SB. I only use those two games because we know that the balls where off in the first half and Im pretty sure the balls used in the 2nd half and SB where perfectly inflated.

• 2 months later...

Here's the appeal decision, all 20 pages of it.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/publi...00000504265.pdf

Brady is a jackass and a prima donna who is surrounded by those who would suck up and coverup for him (hello Mr. Kraft). After reading this I have zero respect (wasn't a big drop anyway) for him and the entire Patriots organization. I hope he goes to court so we can hear all the witnesses. He refused to bring the two Patriots employees who are now indefinitely suspended from their jobs to the appeals hearing because, despite their direct involvement with the game-day footballs and Brady-signed gifts given to "The Deflator", apparently their testimony isn't relevant to what happened and not needed to clear Brady of involvement. They did nothing wrong but are suspended by Mr. Kraft, a brave move by a cowardly owner.

Mr. McNally (aka The Deflator) made at least one statement "I haven't gone to ESPN yet" that may indicate we haven't heard that last of his story.

Interesting to read the actual report rather than PFT's take on it...

Not sure how this will end, but I have a hard time not agreeing w/ Goodell's decision.

Brady is a jackass and a prima donna who is surrounded by those who would suck up and coverup for him (hello Mr. Kraft). After reading this I have zero respect (wasn't a big drop anyway) for him and the entire Patriots organization. I hope he goes to court so we can hear all the witnesses. He refused to bring the two Patriots employees who are now indefinitely suspended from their jobs to the appeals hearing because, despite their direct involvement with the game-day footballs and Brady-signed gifts given to "The Deflator", apparently their testimony isn't relevant to what happened and not needed to clear Brady of involvement. They did nothing wrong but are suspended by Mr. Kraft, a brave move by a cowardly owner.

Mr. McNally (aka The Deflator) made at least one statement "I haven't gone to ESPN yet" that may indicate we haven't heard that last of his story.

Well said sir. Couldn't agree more.

I will read the report soon but wonder when they are heard in Federal Court will they then be put under oath? And if so will Brady continue to plead clear innocence and non-involvement? At this point that's the focus of the "detrimental" behavior. Not the deflating of balls but rather the insistence on saying he (Brady) had no knowledge of it and when asked to produce evidence to support his claim, destroy said evidence.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/88...out-deflategate

I already know you guys are going to say its not about the ball its about lying and not admitting to it. Do I believe everything out of Brady's mouth..... Nope but at the same time I don't believe a thing that comes out of Roger's mouth either.

My attitude towards this can be summed up by the wise words of Happy Gilmore " Green jacket, Blue Jacket....who gives a shit". lol

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/88...out-deflategate

I already know you guys are going to say its not about the ball its about lying and not admitting to it. Do I believe everything out of Brady's mouth..... Nope but at the same time I don't believe a thing that comes out of Roger's mouth either.

My attitude towards this can be summed up by the wise words of Happy Gilmore " Green jacket, Blue Jacket....who gives a shit". lol

Interesting you would use Mike Leach as an example of someone who would speak out on Tom Brady's behalf (per se). Especially since he himself is not without controversy. Althoughbeit he is quite familiar with the judicial process of appeals, injunctions etc etc.

As said previously and I don't think you really care to hear this but this whole mess is part of a bigger issue, not just whether Tom Brady deflated footballs.

• 5 months later...
What did he lie about?

This is where he started: "I have no knowledge of anything." Using linguistics and how the human body acts when it attempts to deceive you would know this is classic 'deviation of the truth'. Then of course after that it all went downhill. But here's an article that sums up my thoughts. Sans whether Tom will serve a suspension. After it's said and done it's a moot point though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/...open-to-debate/

Hey, remember this thread?

I saw the following link today. It's an MIT professor calling BS on the whole thing.

first: where did this guy supposedly get the hard data from in regards to the time the balls were measured, whether one teams balls were wet or dry, how each ball and each TEAM stored the balls in in what manner and so on. this is pure hypothesis on his part making the scientific data he is spewing in regards to THIS instance meaningless.

some questions surely arise... do they store the game balls in an open containers? in other words the assumption by him is that all the balls were wet and that could alter PSI? if so, that is nonsense from a common sense standard. NO team is going to store game balls subject to play on the field open to rain and elements unless they are stupid.

second: if it does not really matter what the PSI is then WHY DO IT??? why chance the risk of being caught cheating or changing it if it does not matter to TOM BRADY? do YOU or ANYONE really believe a ball boy just decides on his own to change the PSI of a game ball the patriots and TOM BRADY are going to use in a real game?????? its ridiculous to assume so.

third: tom brady was instrumental in getting the rules changed a few years before in regards to the balls HE uses during a game. HE was instrumental in the changes. so to believe he (or ESPECIALLY bellicek) would not know what the rules are implemented in regards to football condition is ludicrous.

fourth: this franchise has been CAUGHT cheating in the past. billy was censured and fined. the pats lost draft picks. it has been inferred in the media that the pats have been cheating since bellichek came there in 2000 or whenever he arrived. that means that the environment exists for the pats to lie, cheat and steal from the rest of the NFL. their OC, mcdaniel, was almost assuredly involved in cheating in new england and the complete moron tried it again when he was with the broncos.

all involved with that franchise are under the cloud of cheating and had to do it better than anyone else yet this shows up again when this team is vying for another super bowl ring. to me it invalidates EVERYTHING this franchise has accomplished since billy arrived. ALL the superbowl rings are questionable. ALL the records and stats are questionable.

THAT IS WHAT CHEATING DOES!! it destroys all reliability in legitimate or NOT accomplishments. it throws the NFL into the same category as all star wrestling. the NFL and especially it's fans are the losers.

as far as i'm concerned they could dissolve the entire franchise and bar it's execs from ever having anything to do with the NFL.

first: where did this guy supposedly get the hard data from in regards to the time the balls were measured, whether one teams balls were wet or dry, how each ball and each TEAM stored the balls in in what manner and so on. this is pure hypothesis on his part making the scientific data he is spewing in regards to THIS instance meaningless.

some questions surely arise... do they store the game balls in an open containers? in other words the assumption by him is that all the balls were wet and that could alter PSI? if so, that is nonsense from a common sense standard. NO team is going to store game balls subject to play on the field open to rain and elements unless they are stupid.

second: if it does not really matter what the PSI is then WHY DO IT??? why chance the risk of being caught cheating or changing it if it does not matter to TOM BRADY? do YOU or ANYONE really believe a ball boy just decides on his own to change the PSI of a game ball the patriots and TOM BRADY are going to use in a real game?????? its ridiculous to assume so.

third: tom brady was instrumental in getting the rules changed a few years before in regards to the balls HE uses during a game. HE was instrumental in the changes. so to believe he (or ESPECIALLY bellicek) would not know what the rules are implemented in regards to football condition is ludicrous.

fourth: this franchise has been CAUGHT cheating in the past. billy was censured and fined. the pats lost draft picks. it has been inferred in the media that the pats have been cheating since bellichek came there in 2000 or whenever he arrived. that means that the environment exists for the pats to lie, cheat and steal from the rest of the NFL. their OC, mcdaniel, was almost assuredly involved in cheating in new england and the complete moron tried it again when he was with the broncos.

all involved with that franchise are under the cloud of cheating and had to do it better than anyone else yet this shows up again when this team is vying for another super bowl ring. to me it invalidates EVERYTHING this franchise has accomplished since billy arrived. ALL the superbowl rings are questionable. ALL the records and stats are questionable.

THAT IS WHAT CHEATING DOES!! it destroys all reliability in legitimate or NOT accomplishments. it throws the NFL into the same category as all star wrestling. the NFL and especially it's fans are the losers.

as far as i'm concerned they could dissolve the entire franchise and bar it's execs from ever having anything to do with the NFL.

Did you watch the video? It's an MIT professor breaking down a ton of data, with some formulas in the background that are way over my head, and he's basically saying the entire process is BS science because of some esoteric gas laws. He basically says that the Patriot balls met the standard, and the other balls did not.

I just thought it was interesting because he's a freaking MIT professor who probably knows a thing or two about science and what-not. I found the link when there was some other post that said a bunch of scientists have since disproven the study based on a variety of scientific issues.

Where again is MIT located?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Did you watch the video? It's an MIT professor breaking down a ton of data, with some formulas in the background that are way over my head, and he's basically saying the entire process is BS science because of some esoteric gas laws. He basically says that the Patriot balls met the standard, and the other balls did not.

I just thought it was interesting because he's a freaking MIT professor who probably knows a thing or two about science and what-not. I found the link when there was some other post that said a bunch of scientists have since disproven the study based on a variety of scientific issues.