Not Bears Related But Chicago Sports Related.

lemonej

I am truly saddened by the passing of one of my childhood heroes Ernie Banks aka Mr. Cub. By me being one of the true nuts who roots for both Chicago baseball teams because of the way my dad did this. My spring and summers consisted of Cubs baseball in the afternoon on channel 9 (WGN) and White Sox at night on the transitor radio since the Sox played more night games home and away.

Ernie Banks epitomized what we all would hope the sports teams we root for players would be. Personable, productive, approachable and entusiastic about their team and the city they play in. RIP Mr Cub.

My Chicago Sports Mt Rushmore: Halas-Banks-Hull- Jordon

I am truly saddened by the passing of one of my childhood heroes Ernie Banks aka Mr. Cub. By me being one of the true nuts who roots for both Chicago baseball teams because of the way my dad did this. My spring and summers consisted of Cubs baseball in the afternoon on channel 9 (WGN) and White Sox at night on the transitor radio since the Sox played more night games home and away.

Ernie Banks epitomized what we all would hope the sports teams we root for players would be. Personable, productive, approachable and entusiastic about their team and the city they play in. RIP Mr Cub.

Give me Payton over Hull. I know you picked all 4, just sayin...

I listened to the SCORE last night for a couple of hours and then this morning. Almost none of the stories about Ernie were about his play on the field. They were instead about the type of man he was off the field. He was a true gentleman and treated everyone with dignity and respect.

Rest in peace, Mr. Cub.

Peace :dabears

Ernie was wrapping it up when I first became aware of baseball, so I only caught the tail end of what was an incredible career. But as said earlier he was a true ambassador and great person of the field. As time goes by and more and more great ones leave us I am deeply saddened. Rest in peace Ernie, your infectious smile and positive personality will be missed.

Farewell Mr. Banks. You were and still are a true embassador of the game and sport itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw an email to me from Mad Lithuanian in regards to an article I wrote for a Cubs fan website that I blog on once in a while. Mad asked me to share the link I sent out to a group that I am a part of that is based in Southern California. So here is the link to the article I wrote about Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks. I hope you all enjoy it.

http://worldseriesdreaming.com/2015/01/24/i-am-sad/

:cheers

Well written!

I just saw an email to me from Mad Lithuanian in regards to an article I wrote for a Cubs fan website that I blog on once in a while. Mad asked me to share the link I sent out to a group that I am a part of that is based in Southern California. So here is the link to the article I wrote about Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks. I hope you all enjoy it.

Very nice tribute. And it's always great to hear first hand perspectives of TRUE sports heroes. Thanks for sharing.

Go Huskers!!!

Outstanding write chitown and this is exactly what I wanted to see when I started this thread!

My first recollection of Ernie Banks comes from 1965 on the first game I attended which was Ernie Banks day 1965. I was 5 years old and overwhelmed by the crowd reaction when he hit a grand slam which my dad had to explain to me during the game but I was hooked on this guy after that.Through the years my oldest brother and I would play wiffle ball in the house and imitate Jack Brickhouse doing play by play of our indoor game(Don't tell my mom she still thinks the lamp got broke while we were cleaning house). Imitating everything from his batting stance and wiggling fingers to his corny Cub slogans for the years. " The Cubs will shine in 69" and the Cubs will glow in 70. As an African American it is really sad for me that this ground breaking man who had a perpetual smile regardless of what he endured is no longer here to be a beakon of light to some of today's youth on just how much things have changed in this country during his lifetime.I will always remeber Ernie Banks as a hero regardless of what some may try to uncover about him post mortem for monetary gain. I thank everyone who have posted so far in a thread that is really personal to me and I guess a few of you.