TalkBears Community Mock Draft 2015

adam

I know you dislike PFF, but in 2013 Ball was a top 20 CB. Bears gave him 3M. If they gave him 3M to be filler then shame on them.

I also think they like Louis-Jean and Hurst after giving both extensions.

Lastly, I don't think Jennings should be playing outside, so with him on the roster we have our nickel-back. A 6 foot Fuller, a 5'8" Jennings, and a 5'9" Ike as your 3 CBs just doesn't sound like something Fangio would put out there based on his time in SF.

You're right. I hate PFF's ratings. I think they're BS.

During Fangio's tenure at SF, the following were starting CBs:

1) Chris Culliver - 6'0" - 3rd rd - Drafted for return skills and upside - Questionable in coverage & injuries

2) Tarell Brown - 5'11" - 5th rd - Troubled, injured, returner, drafted for upside

3) Perrish Cox - 5'11" - 5th rd (Broncos) - Troubled, returner, drafted for upside

4) Carlos Rogers - 6'0" - 1st rd (Redskins) - No doubt he was a stud

Other than Rogers and his 1st rd talent, the other guys were average, mid-rd picks. And none are huge. The difference between 5'9" and 5'11" is negligible. I don't really think the 2 inch difference will make that big of a deal. And given the links between Culliver, Brown, and Cox (i.e. issues + upside), and I'd say IEO is precisely the type of player Fangio would go after in the third round.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough but I still don't think you can discount them giving Ball 3M. His 3M cap hit is 45th among CBs. If they don't view him as a starter then that's an awful contract.

In 2013 Ball had 14 pass deflections and 2 INTs. For comparisons sake Tim Jennings, who was a pro bowler, had 13 and 4.

As many have discussed before, BPA is actually "BPA". If it were true BPA, as in from a top 100 list, then teams would draft players that have no real purpose on the roster. For instance, if Mariota falls to the Colts - we know he won't, but let's just say it happens - then BPA says they draft Mariota. That would be stupid. Considering the Bears' absolute mess at DE (Allen, Bass, Houston, Jenkins, Lane, McDonald, Merrell, Washington, Young), and the Bears simply can't have DE as a high priority. [bTW - I highlighted the guys who actually can play]. Meanwhile, CBs on the roster (Ball, Fuller, Hurst, Jennings, Louis-Jean, McManis, Mitchell) are really just roster fodder after the two starters.

Regarding the specific players...

Armstead and Edwards are tweeners, uncertainties at this point. Some have them listed as a DT (Armstead: GBND, Walter), others a DE (Both: Draftcountdown, Edwards: Walter), sometimes as both positions (Edwards: Walter), and most usually mention their potential as either a 3-4 DE, a 3-4 OLB, or a 5 Technique DT/DE. That's not something that looks super exciting to me. Additionally, Edwards has 8 sacks in three years. That sucks, and his motor has been questioned (Walter). Armstead's 2.5 sacks are just as underwhelming, he couldn't produce a sack against some truly bad opponents, and absolutely disappeared in the title game.

Cann, meanwhile, is the undisputed #1 OG in the class. Consider also the players the Bears have on the OL, Long's rumored move to OT, the aforementioned DEs on the roster, and OG has to be a higher priority. Same goes for CB, even if I agree with you on IEO's height concerns. With his immense talent, his first round grade before injury, and the "BPA" philosophy in mind, IEO made more sense as a lock-down nickel DB than a tweener DE who can't get to the QB. You may be right about the Ball signing and fits on a Fangio defense, but I view Ball as nothing more than filler, a journeyman who has versatility but minimal ability.

Armstead is no tweener, with his size , he could play anywhere on the line. Everything I have read has been him as a 5-T end, and we have only 2 true DEs in the 3-4. I think Houston ends up there, but it could be a position we need to draft 2. You can throw out all those other names but they simply dont apply as a 3-4 end. We may be surprised but the fact they picked up 2 in FA should tell you its a priority.

I personally dont like Armstead but he is almost always listed as a top 20 player and the highest I have seen Cann rated was 47th. So grabbing someone as the best OG doesnt make it the best player available.

Every CB we have had in for a visit have been at least 6' tall, except for Greg Henderson-5'11", maybe that is a smoke screen so we can jump on a 5'9" player like EMO.

24+ hours since last pick, autopicked.

With the 72nd pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams select: Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington

The Atlanta Falcons (Stinger226) are now on the clock...

24+ hours since last pick, autopicked.

With the 72nd pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams select: Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington

The Atlanta Falcons (Stinger226) are now on the clock...

The Falcons are changing to a zone blocking scheme and they need a power back to complement Devante Freeman.

Atlanta selects David Johnson/Northern Iowa/RB.

Adam your up.

Armstead is no tweener, with his size , he could play anywhere on the line. Everything I have read has been him as a 5-T end, and we have only 2 true DEs in the 3-4. I think Houston ends up there, but it could be a position we need to draft 2. You can throw out all those other names but they simply dont apply as a 3-4 end. We may be surprised but the fact they picked up 2 in FA should tell you its a priority.

I personally dont like Armstead but he is almost always listed as a top 20 player and the highest I have seen Cann rated was 47th. So grabbing someone as the best OG doesnt make it the best player available.

Every CB we have had in for a visit have been at least 6' tall, except for Greg Henderson-5'11", maybe that is a smoke screen so we can jump on a 5'9" player like EMO.

Again, BPA doesn't mean true BPA. It is also based on need. I just don't believe DE is as big of a need given all the names, regardless of who you or I think will eventually play there. I just don't see the Bears throwing so many players away instead of exploiting their abilities. No way I will believe Allen also doesn't get into that mix. So at the least you have McDonald, Jenkins, Allen, and, as you mentioned, Houston. I'll be shocked if the draft DE in the first three rounds.

Again, BPA doesn't mean true BPA. It is also based on need. I just don't believe DE is as big of a need given all the names, regardless of who you or I think will eventually play there. I just don't see the Bears throwing so many players away instead of exploiting their abilities. No way I will believe Allen also doesn't get into that mix. So at the least you have McDonald, Jenkins, Allen, and, as you mentioned, Houston. I'll be shocked if the draft DE in the first three rounds.

NO Saints try to find someone to absorb some of the catches that Graham leaves on the field.

They select Clive Warlford/TE/Miami

SCS your up with Minnesota

With the 77th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select: Paul Dawson, LB, TCU

The New Orleans Saints (Stinger226) are now on the clock...

Damn. That screwed the Niners. He is exactly the fit for them.

With the 77th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select: Paul Dawson, LB, TCU

The New Orleans Saints (Stinger226) are now on the clock...

New Orleans adds another WR with the loss of Stills and Meachum.

Tyler Lockett/WR/KSU a speed guy to offset the loss of Graham and Stills.

The 49ers select Josh Shaw, CB, Southern California.

They would have liked ILB and it hurt to see a prime target go just before their pick. They obviously need CB help, regardless of their signings. I think he's the best CB on the board since I don't trust players from tiny schools over big school performers.

With the 81st pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select: Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor

Buffalo has a couple of options here but were shocked to see Petty fall all the way to #81. Some mock drafts had Petty going to the Bills in the 2nd and almost all had him off the board at this point.

The Houston Texans (scs787) are now on the clock...

Over 24 hours since last pick.....

With the 82nd pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select: Rob Havenstein, OT, Wisconsin

The San Diego Chargers (ASHKUM BEAR) are now on the clock......

Over 24 hours since last pick.....

With the 82nd pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select: Rob Havenstein, OT, Wisconsin

The San Diego Chargers (ASHKUM BEAR) are now on the clock......

With the 83rd pick, the San Diego Chargers select OT Ty Sambrailo

Stinger and the Philadelphia Eagles are on the clock.

With the 86th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select: Mario Edwards Jr, DE, Florida State

With the 87th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select: Ibraheim Campbell, SS, Northwestern

The Detroit Lions (scs787) are now on the clock.....