Lemon's Mock 3.0

lemonej

7. Amari Cooper WR Ala no more gushing from me

39. Benadrick Mckinney ILB Mississippi St Saw what Fangio did with an alumus from this same school.

71. Jacoby Glenn CB Central Fla It may be wishful thinking that this kid drops to this round but I'm hoping this can be Charles Tillman part 2

103. Ibraheim Campbell S Northwestern I like the Idea of this kid coming in learning behind Rolle and Mundy and playing special teams.

134.Bryan Bennett Qb SE Louisiana We have to keep trying to grab a future Qb and this kid would need developing because he couldn't beat out Mariotta so he transferred SE LA He has flaws but so does Fales and neither should see the field next year.

167. Xavier Williams DT Northern Iowa Hopefully this kid getting drafted this late will come in to camp with the biggest chip on his shoulder while learning the game behind Ratliff as well as Ferguson.

I struggled with My round 2 pick because I wanted Brett Hundley there but felt adding attitude in the middle of this defense was important.

Not a fan.

No thanks on a WR this early...It'd be fun though.

No thanks on a ILB who's gonna struggle in coverage, esp. when you look at who the OLBs might be.

I'm sorry but who the hell is Jacoby Glenn? Had to look him up, everywhere I go I see 4/5 round draft pick.

Cool with Campbell, he gave up a lot of gib plays for my Wildcats but overall he'll learn and has a chance to be a good playerr.

I do like Bennett as a project.

Really think we need to attack the DL sooner than the last pick...Even if you like Houston-Rat-Ego as starters, still need better depth than Sutton and a 6R draft pick.

I don't mind the positions, but I'm not a big fan of the players. I keep reading how McKinney struggles and coverage and may be a 2-down LB, which is not what I'm looking for from the 2nd pick. I'm pretty down on this safety class in general and I'd just as soon see what Vereen can do with another year than grab one in a down year just because of need.

Maybe it's time to fire up a mock draft thread, but here's what I'm thinking:

**Trade down a couple spots in the first (maybe to Giants) and pick up a 4th and 7th.**

1) Danny Shelton, DT, Washington - Just seems to make sense and I'm convinced he helps our whole defensive scheme come together: the other DTs can concentrate on fitting in at DE, the previous DEs can concentrate on OLB or 3-4 DE.

2) Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State - Looks like Alshon 2.0 to me and count me among those concerned about our WRs. I love the idea of Strong and Jeffery on the outside and Royal and Wilson in the slot.

3) D'Joun Smith, CB, Florida Atlantic - Big cover corner to help a really shallow unit.

4a) Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State - QBs always fall on draft day. I like him more than Bryce Petty.

4b) BJ Finney, C, Kansas State - Centers always fall on draft day too. I'd like to see some more size on the line and Finney could challenge Garza right away.

5) Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor - I should probably go somewhere else here, but I think he's one of the most underrated WRs in the draft, plus he can help in the return game and maybe even at RB.

6) Jeff Luc, LB, Cincinnati - He's probably not much more than a potential two-down, run-stuffing LB, but that's kind of what the Bears need and he hits hard. Potential FB as well.

7) Cam Thomas, DB, Western Kentucky - Developmental CB/S who had a nose for the ball against lower competition.

I don't mind the positions, but I'm not a big fan of the players. I keep reading how McKinney struggles and coverage and may be a 2-down LB, which is not what I'm looking for from the 2nd pick. I'm pretty down on this safety class in general and I'd just as soon see what Vereen can do with another year than grab one in a down year just because of need.

Maybe it's time to fire up a mock draft thread, but here's what I'm thinking:

**Trade down a couple spots in the first (maybe to Giants) and pick up a 4th and 7th.**

1) Danny Shelton, DT, Washington - Just seems to make sense and I'm convinced he helps our whole defensive scheme come together: the other DTs can concentrate on fitting in at DE, the previous DEs can concentrate on OLB or 3-4 DE.

2) Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State - Looks like Alshon 2.0 to me and count me among those concerned about our WRs. I love the idea of Strong and Jeffery on the outside and Royal and Wilson in the slot.

3) D'Joun Smith, CB, Florida Atlantic - Big cover corner to help a really shallow unit.

4a) Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State - QBs always fall on draft day. I like him more than Bryce Petty.

4b) BJ Finney, C, Kansas State - Centers always fall on draft day too. I'd like to see some more size on the line and Finney could challenge Garza right away.

5) Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor - I should probably go somewhere else here, but I think he's one of the most underrated WRs in the draft, plus he can help in the return game and maybe even at RB.

6) Jeff Luc, LB, Cincinnati - He's probably not much more than a potential two-down, run-stuffing LB, but that's kind of what the Bears need and he hits hard. Potential FB as well.

7) Cam Thomas, DB, Western Kentucky - Developmental CB/S who had a nose for the ball against lower competition.

So if you pick Shelton at #7, then you intend on starting him at NT. What are you doing with Ratliff? The more and more I think about the Shelton pick, the less I like it. It throws away Ratliff, and potentially Ferguson. At the least it stunts Ferguson's development because he becomes the #3 NT, who gets zero playing time.

So if you pick Shelton at #7, then you intend on starting him at NT. What are you doing with Ratliff? The more and more I think about the Shelton pick, the less I like it. It throws away Ratliff, and potentially Ferguson. At the least it stunts Ferguson's development because he becomes the #3 NT, who gets zero playing time.

It seems to me Ratliff is more of a 3-4 DE at this point in his career than a NT. He can still get after the QB a bit, but he's big enough to stop the run. Plus, he's on the last year of his contract and is 34 or so, so he's not a part of the Bears long-term solution.

Same for Ferguson. As I've said before, I think this draft hinges on where the new coaches see these guys playing (which I still have almost no handle on), but I've seen people touting Carl Davis as a potential 3-4 DE for the Bears and Ego is the same size.

It seems to me Ratliff is more of a 3-4 DE at this point in his career than a NT. He can still get after the QB a bit, but he's big enough to stop the run. Plus, he's on the last year of his contract and is 34 or so, so he's not a part of the Bears long-term solution.

Same for Ferguson. As I've said before, I think this draft hinges on where the new coaches see these guys playing (which I still have almost no handle on), but I've seen people touting Carl Davis as a potential 3-4 DE for the Bears and Ego is the same size.

The highlighted portion is the exact reason for my offensive draft thread. I just don't see how anyone can truly know what these players will do in a 3-4.

The highlighted portion is the exact reason for my offensive draft thread. I just don't see how anyone can truly know what these players will do in a 3-4.

Oh I agree (see my post questioning whether OLB is really a need), but at the same time, it's hard for me to believe that the exact same players in a new scheme is enough to turn this defense around.

Unless the Bears are throwing up a smoke screen with interest in Knighton, Dan Williams, and with their 2 visits to Shelton, they absolutely would like a big guy on that line. Like whizz said both Ratliff and Ego can play absolutely play DE.

If someone posted this before, I didn't see it - Greg Gabriel talking about where Bears might fit in the 3-4. Interesting that he notes that the Fangio DTs in SF were not the big Shelton/Knighton size, although he seems to just be coming off of last year's roster/ I seem to recall them using Isaac Sopoaga at NT for awhile and he was like 330, so who knows?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/06/gab...fensive-scheme/

Unless the Bears are throwing up a smoke screen with interest in Knighton, Dan Williams, and with their 2 visits to Shelton, they absolutely would like a big guy on that line. Like whizz said both Ratliff and Ego can play absolutely play DE.

Knighton got a 1 year 4 mil contract, if we really wanted him, I think he would be here. I dont think the big fat guy is the ideal guy in Fangio's defense.,Fox has already stated Ratliff is a NT, I dont think he is a big bullshiter.

If someone posted this before, I didn't see it - Greg Gabriel talking about where Bears might fit in the 3-4. Interesting that he notes that the Fangio DTs in SF were not the big Shelton/Knighton size, although he seems to just be coming off of last year's roster/ I seem to recall them using Isaac Sopoaga at NT for awhile and he was like 330, so who knows?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/06/gab...fensive-scheme/

I think he adapts to what ever his talent is for that year. I seen a break down of his defense and he listed the lineman LDT-NT-RDT so for the players he had in those spots were 6'3"-6'4" types like 285 to 310. They stated that they will be in the 2-4-5 60% of the time and that they want the DTs to stay on the field instead of subbing. So if one of the DTs drops off to LBer that would be Houston. So the guys upfront need to be more mobile than the typical NT type.

Knighton got a 1 year 4 mil contract, if we really wanted him, I think he would be here. I dont think the big fat guy is the ideal guy in Fangio's defense.,Fox has already stated Ratliff is a NT, I dont think he is a big bullshiter.

It didn't help that he was out of shape.

I think we need a guy who's gonna demand double teams. San Fran had Justin Smith, who while bot a big guy, is a freak who demands double teams. He fits in the category with JJ Watt, who while not big, are guys you have to double team. The Bears don't have that monster like Watt or Smith, so I think they go the route of a big guy.

If we roll out Ego-Ratliff-? (Because Fox isnt a bullshitter and called Houston an OLB right?) as the DL, the linebackers are gonna have a much tougher time, because good offensive linemen can take those guys on 1v1 regularly.

I think he adapts to what ever his talent is for that year. I seen a break down of his defense and he listed the lineman LDT-NT-RDT so for the players he had in those spots were 6'3"-6'4" types like 285 to 310. They stated that they will be in the 2-4-5 60% of the time and that they want the DTs to stay on the field instead of subbing. So if one of the DTs drops off to LBer that would be Houston. So the guys upfront need to be more mobile than the typical NT type.

Danny Shelton played 90% of the snaps for UW, he's got the motor to stay on the field.

Danny Shelton played 90% of the snaps for UW, he's got the motor to stay on the field.

Inherently we disagree on the importance of positions. We do need some DEs,DTs, just dont think we will be adding them with the 7th pick and so far not in FA. In Fangio's past schemes, he has had smaller quick guys and has had fat guys. By who they bring in will tell us what he favors.

Word is New Orleans was big on Cooper at the Alabama pro day. If he makes it down to #7, we should pull the trigger on a trade. #7 & #39 for #13, #31, 3-#75, and a 2016 3rd RD pick.

Here is a way it can go

1-13 Danny Shelton DT-Bears interviewed twice. Need for a d lineman that commands double teams

1-31 Todd Gurley RB-Bears showed strong interest at pro day. Has the AP type power run

3-71 Ron Darby CB-Aggresive cover corner

3-75 Cody Prewitt FS- Taller S could use some polishing

4-103 Tyler Lockett WR - Speed WR/Return man. Eventually replace Royal

5-134 Cedric Reed DE - size can play 3-4 end

6-166 Jake Ryan LB -

1-Hackleberg QB

2-OT

3-TE

3-WR

4-SS

With the state of the Bears, I'd listen to all offers for number 7 and if it made sense, i would consider trading back, then trading back again to stock pile as many picks as possible. That way I could target and draft BPA / high floor football players at multiple positions of need.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/premium/draft.php?d=hzehha

15 - R1P15 RB TODD GURLEY GEORGIA

46 - R2P14 CB KEVIN JOHNSON WAKE FOREST

47 - R2P15 C HRONISS GRASU OREGON

71 - R3P7 CB IFO EKPRE-OLOMU OREGON

86 - R3P22 OT TY SAMBRAILO COLORADO STATE

103 - R4P7 S JAQUISKI TARTT SAMFORD

116 - R4P20 S ERIC ROWE UTAH

134 - R5P6 DT GABE WRIGHT AUBURN

141 - R5P13 DE SHAQUILLE RIDDICK WEST VIRGINIA

151 - R5P23 WR DEANDRE SMELTER GEORGIA TECH

167 - R6P7 DT DARIUS PHILON ARKANSAS

202 - R7P10 DT DEREK LOTT TENNESSEE-CHATTANOOGA

Sign an UDFA Quaterback to develop like Chris Bonner from CSU-Pueblo http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/03/08/csu-...ced-by-the-nfl/

With the state of the Bears, I'd listen to all offers for number 7 and if it made sense, i would consider trading back, then trading back again to stock pile this as many picks as possible. That way I could target and draft BPA / high floor football players at multiple positions of need.

Sign an UDFA Quaterback to develop like Chris Bonner from CSU-Pueblo http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/03/08/csu-...ced-by-the-nfl/

Funny how Gurley seems to be making more and more press for the Bears. With all the supposed talent already on O and the strong need for help on the D, never thought he'd be considered. But cool, if that is what they need he's a good one.

Grasu is someone that Jason recently endorsed. And he likes him some OLmen so perhaps there is somthing to it(?). And the Bears could use a good young Center who knows the Guard position. What's more, he and Kyle played together although briefly but that's a plus.

Gotta say I like the Bonner kid from Pueblo. I saw a cool article on him not too long ago. He's a tall drink of water from a DII school that's done pretty well. Can you say Joe Flacco? I'd definitely like to see him on the Bears.

With the state of the Bears, I'd listen to all offers for number 7 and if it made sense, i would consider trading back, then trading back again to stock pile as many picks as possible. That way I could target and draft BPA / high floor football players at multiple positions of need.

I could see us doing some trading, but dont think Gurley will go that high, more of late 1st round valve. What other choices did you have at 15?

Funny how Gurley seems to be making more and more press for the Bears. With all the supposed talent already on O and the strong need for help on the D, never thought he'd be considered. But cool, if that is what they need he's a good one.

Grasu is someone that Jason recently endorsed. And he likes him some OLmen so perhaps there is somthing to it(?). And the Bears could use a good young Center who knows the Guard position. What's more, he and Kyle played together although briefly but that's a plus.

Gotta say I like the Bonner kid from Pueblo. I saw a cool article on him not too long ago. He's a tall drink of water from a DII school that's done pretty well. Can you say Joe Flacco? I'd definitely like to see him on the Bears.

There absolutely nothing more effective for a defense than to keep them off the field...:-)

I could see us doing some trading, but dont think Gurley will go that high, more of late 1st round valve. What other choices did you have at 15?

I had the Gurley envision long ago before his acl. I think he will still be a power back that can be like an AP or Lynch. That would do wonders to a struggling O, plus Forte has one year left. If we can land a trade with NO it may be possible to grab him with their #31 pick. He may not make it that far, but if so he has top 10 talent. If we don't get a power back this year, I like Derek Henry from Alabama in the 2016 draft. He looks like a beast.

No thanks on Gurley. I understand him making some sense with Forte possibly gone next season but I don't think we're in the position to draft a red shirt player in the 1R. I wouldn't hate/bash a WR/RB pick, it'd be fun, but I'd be disappointed.

I am not sure he will be a redshirt player year 1. He said he is on schedule for "contact" in July according to his doctor/therapist. He also said his rehab is going very well and it is an every day process with no days off. The Bears are doing homework on him and showing interest, so it may be a possibility. Pace also stated he wants to get Chicago back to it's roots in football with running the ball and having great defenses. I'd be very disappointed if he was taken at 7, but if they can make a trade and get him 25-32, I'd be fine.

I am not sure he will be a redshirt player year 1. He said he is on schedule for "contact" in July according to his doctor/therapist. He also said his rehab is going very well and it is an every day process with no days off. The Bears are doing homework on him and showing interest, so it may be a possibility. Pace also stated he wants to get Chicago back to it's roots in football with running the ball and having great defenses. I'd be very disappointed if he was taken at 7, but if they can make a trade and get him 25-32, I'd be fine.

Maybe redshirt wasn't the best word to use, I mean I'd be disappointed if we drafted a guy who would be a backup for a year. I get they wanna run the ball and all the talk of RBBC, even IF RBBC is something they wanna do, you don't do a RBBC with Matt Forte and a 1st round pick. Hell you don't do RBBC with Gurley and someone else, because Gurley is gonna be a feature back in this league.

If we take an offensive player, I'd much rather it be an OT. You put a good line out there and even guys like Carey are gonna look good AND it's gonna make the QB look good as well.

In the end though, I want a defensive player taken.

Maybe redshirt wasn't the best word to use, I mean I'd be disappointed if we drafted a guy who would be a backup for a year. I get they wanna run the ball and all the talk of RBBC, even IF RBBC is something they wanna do, you don't do a RBBC with Matt Forte and a 1st round pick. Hell you don't do RBBC with Gurley and someone else, because Gurley is gonna be a feature back in this league.

If we take an offensive player, I'd much rather it be an OT. You put a good line out there and even guys like Carey are gonna look good AND it's gonna make the QB look good as well.

In the end though, I want a defensive player taken.

I totally think the BPA could be a OT. There are a couple that will go high and a good OL will help everybody.

So as a new GM I'm going to spend my first pick on an injured player who is going to be behind a Pro Bowl player. That doesn't make sense to me as well as drafting a QB in round 1 if you have committed to Cutler for basically 2 years.

When I started this mock thread it is with the idea that this team should strengthen the strongest unit on the team and improve the weakest. By having no knowledge of the history of Pace and Fox when it comes to drafting this is total speculation and I still believe that we should go BPA no matter what position and at the 7th pick a NT is not going to be a difference maker but a WR can get you points.