Doug Buffone dead at age 70

'TD'

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0420-story.html

Former Chicago Bear Doug Buffone, the all-time leader in games played for the organization, has died at the age of 70, police said.

lRelated 'Doug and OB' give voice to Bears fans everywhere

SPORTS COLUMNISTS

'Doug and OB' give voice to Bears fans everywhere

SEE ALL RELATED

Paramedics were called to his home in the 1200 block of West Lexington Street around 1:30 p.m. Monday, according to police and fire officials. He was dead on the scene, they said.

Buffone played for 15 seasons as a linebacker, racking up more than 1,200 tackles and going over the 100-tackle mark in seven seasons.

cComments

So sorry to hear this news. Great all-time Bear. Thoughts and prayers to his family

MARK00113

AT 2:16 PM APRIL 20, 2015

ADD A COMMENTSEE ALL COMMENTS

Buffone retired in 1980 with 24 career interceptions to lead all Bear linebackers. The first two pickoffs of his career came off future Hall of Famers Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas.

In recent years, Buffone hosted a Bears postgame radio show on 670-AM with Ed O’Bradovich.

Copyright © 2015, Chicago Tribune

Former Chicago Bear Doug Buffone, the all-time leader in games played for the organization, has died at the age of 70, police said.

SPORTS COLUMNISTS

SEE ALL RELATED

Paramedics were called to his home in the 1200 block of West Lexington Street around 1:30 p.m. Monday, according to police and fire officials. He was dead on the scene, they said.

Buffone played for 15 seasons as a linebacker, racking up more than 1,200 tackles and going over the 100-tackle mark in seven seasons.

cComments

So sorry to hear this news. Great all-time Bear. Thoughts and prayers to his family

MARK00113

Buffone retired in 1980 with 24 career interceptions to lead all Bear linebackers. The first two pickoffs of his career came off future Hall of Famers Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas.

In recent years, Buffone hosted a Bears postgame radio show on 670-AM with Ed O’Bradovich.

Really enjoyed Mr. Buffone both as a player and a say-it-like -he -saw-it commentator on the Score. I sent him his rookie card about 25 years ago and he signed it and mailed it back with a personal letter. He is one of the oldies and goodies.

He was always something to look forward to during a win or loss. He seemed like a genuine great guy with a lot of passion for Bears football.

He bled blue and orange. A true Bear through and through. I still remember getting his Bear Report back in the day. Saw him at a local establishment in my suburb doing his radio show live once. He had great stories and really lived life, it seemed. Maybe he can lend the Bears a hand from above one day when they're in a close one...

RIP Big Doug!

I have the pleasure of meeting him one time before a game. He couldn't have been nicer...

He will be missed.

:dabears

SPORTS COLUMNISTS

SEE ALL RELATED

cComments

MARK00113

I have listened to the SCORE since day 1 and Doug has been part of it since then. I never got to see him play but I loved his honesty on the airwaves. He bled Orange and Blue.

Rest in peace, Uncle Fuzzy!

Peace :dabears

Me too, he was a better man than a football player but he had the passion and the character to loved by many. Not to many celebrities bother me when they die, just didnt know them, but Buffone seemed like a friend.

He was a rookie when I started watching the Bears and he was the first great LB to wear #55 followed up by Otis Wilson and Lance Briggs. Hopefully there will be some sort of memorial patch or something from the organization to honor one of my all time favorites. My favorite memory of Buffone was when he wore Butkus' jersey during practice to disguise how bad Butkus'knees were and the photo was on the sports page with them wearing each others jersey.

A loss of a great guy on and off the field. Win or lose I always looked forward to the Doug & OB post game. His passion as a player and after his career as a commentator was hard to miss and will be greatly missed. An extremely classy guy, who wore his heart on his sleeve and always called it like he saw it. A true representative of the Chicago Bears.