GM ability

jason

Retaining Cutler instead of getting out of the contract when he could. Letting Tillman go, as I felt he has a few really good years left. Letting go of the second best player on offense, only to have to use a first round pick to fill that hole. The team already had more holes than swiss cheese when he came in. Giving Pernell, not a starting player on his own team, such a large contract. He very well overpaid for Eddie Royal. I could go on, but I think you have the idea.

He came from a team that is in shambles when he left, and I'm still not sold on the Saints being a good front office to learn from. I love the addition of Fox, but that was basically a no brainer. Other than that, I think he's did more to deplete the roster than add to it. I'm not trying to convince others not to like them, just explaining my strong negative opinion of him. I'm glad that most of a the board is excited. I'd just wait before he is anointed.

How do we even know if they wanted to get out of Cutler's contract, and based on the framework with guaranteed money, it was going to be hard to move on in such a short amount of time anyway. I will miss Tillman too, but there is no way to know what he has left as a CB at 34 needing to play more man than zone. I have a friend who is a Ravens fan and he felt McPhee was the best player on their defense and is still pissed that they lost him. Royal had more receptions and yards than Marshall last year, is 2 years younger, fills a huge need in the slot, and saves cap space. Even though we have some dead money this year for Marshall, his cap hit if he was on the team would've been more than Jeffery, Royal, and White combined this year.

I actually applaud Pace for his timing. He got out before it got really bad, but the dysfunction was a lot higher than him.

You're missing the point. That being, just because he's made "smart picks" doesn't necessarily mean they are. All they've done is do well in college. That doesn't always translate to long term success. See Gabe Carimi and Chris Williams for the projected 1st round talent to prove otherwise.

And to say we've always drafted poorly is a bit of a stretch. Especially when you still have 13 drafted players on the team, most of which WILL play next year and probably beyond.

I'm right there with you that this feels different (better). Im just not AS giddy as you.

I get you, but it's like you're ignoring the fact that the Bears have drafted poorly for quite some time, and they have the least home-grown talent in the NFL. These things, despite the handful of guys still on roster, is why it's great to see a GM who appears to pick closely to what we say on the board. We already know picking counter doesn't work very well,

Because the Bears haven't been good.

I get you, but it's like you're ignoring the fact that the Bears have drafted poorly for quite some time, and they have the least home-grown talent in the NFL. These things, despite the handful of guys still on roster, is why it's great to see a GM who appears to pick closely to what we say on the board. We already know picking counter doesn't work very well,

The best point for any argument about anything is we have made the playoffs 4 times in 19 years. I would say that means we need new ideas and new ways to do stuff.

I don't see this as argument. Or really a disagreement. Because essentially we agree minus a few points.

I'll give you that between Emery the Ass and Pace the new kid, I like Pace hands down. Whether he's worth his weight long term, and this draft means anything, still remains to be seen.