Let's have some fun

Connorbear

Who do you believe is the Bears all-time worst draft pick?

My choice - Bob Sapp. He was selected in the 3rd round of the 1997 draft (69th overall). He didn't even make it out of training camp before he was cut.

Give me some names!!!

Peace :dabears

Here is my list minus Sapp (who actually played in one NFL game in his career w/ MIN):

1a. Pat Riley, 1995, 2nd round, #52, 1 game played

1b. Dan Bazuin, 2007, 2nd round, #62, 0 games played

1c. Brandon Hardin, 2012, 3rd round #79, 0 games played (tied with Sapp)

Honorable Mention:

1. Jarron Gilbert, 2009, 3rd round #68, 5 games played

2. Michael Okwo, 2007, 3rd round, #94, 0 games played

3. Juaquin Iglesias, 2009, 3rd round #99, 1 game played

2007 and 2009 were brutal drafts. Can't miss on that many in the first 3 rounds.

Bazuin, Wolfe, Okwo all drafted before pick #94. :shakehead

BAZUIN!!!!

Here is my list minus Sapp (who actually played in on NFL game in his career w/ MIN):

1a. Pat Riley, 1995, 2nd round, #52, 1 game played

1b. Dan Bazuin, 2007, 2nd round, #62, 0 games played

1c. Brandon Hardin, 2012, 3rd round #79, 0 games played (tied with Sapp)

Honorable Mention:

1. Jarron Gilbert, 2009, 3rd round #68, 5 games played

2. Michael Okwo, 2007, 3rd round, #94, 0 games played

3. Juaquin Iglesias, 2009, 3rd round #99, 1 game played

2007 and 2009 were brutal drafts. Can't miss on that many in the first 3 rounds.

My list starts in 1967 to current all 1st round picks and this is who I have to choose from:

67 Lloyd Phillips

68 Mike Hull

69 Rufus Mayes

71 Joe Moore

72 Lionel Antoine

74 Waymond Bryant

88 Brad Muster & Wendell Davis

91 Stan Thomas

92 Alonzo Spellman

94 John Thierry

95 Rashaan Salaam

98 Curtis Enis

99 Cade McNown

2001 David Terrell

2002 Marc Colombo

2003 Michael Haynes

2005 Cedric Benson

2008 Chris Williams

2011 Gabe Carimi

2012 Shea McClellin

So I had to narrow it down to the Worst 4 Moore, Bryant, Thierry and Colombo. I came up with a tie and that is Moore and Bryant. Both of these guys were trying to replace 2 HOF players Moore an RB out of Missouri was taken in the 1st round as Gayle Sayers knee problems ended his career and Bryant was to be the next fierce MLB drafted to replace Dick Butkus. Most of the players on my list did very little in the way of contributing to the team. Most were awful and in the beginning the revered Papa Bear was making the picks up until 1974 then you don't see another bad pick until grandson Michael got involved through 2001, then JA to 2011 then Emery's 1st pick Shea. There was one hiccup during the Jim Finks era and that was when they traded their first rounder to Cleveland for QB Mike Phipps in 78(seems familiar) even though they had Vince Evans on the roster and he wound up the starter the following year after returning kicks and running sweeps his first couple of years.

I still say Wolfe was a good pick. He was just used horribly, unprofessionally, in the worst way possible, by a simpleton who almost certainly sniffed a lot of glue as a kid andshould never have seen an NFL field.

98 Curtis Enis

This is the one that hurts the most for me. Raymont Harris (Ultraback!) was coming off of 1000+ yards in 13 games with 10 TDs and nearly 4ypc. The Bears had just drafted Rashaan Salaam 3 years prior, and in his rookie year he was over 1000 yards, but injuries hampered him after. Between the two the Bears were fine. Then they went and signed Edgar Bennett, even more reason not to draft Curtis Enis. And let's just throw a few logs on the fire. That was the year the Bears got James Allen, that little over-achieving spark plug who later went on to his own 1000+ yard season.

Meanwhile the Bears were starting John Thierry and Carl Reeves at DE. Figuring out the better one is like picking up the clean end of a turd. Oh, and right after the Bears picked, Grant Wistrom and Greg Ellis went off the board. I was partial to Ellis, but would have been happy with either.

Meanwhile part 2, some nobody named Ron Cox - not to be confused with Bryan Cox - was starting at OLB. Who was on the board? Keith Brooking and Takeo Spikes. I loved Spikes coming out of Auburn.

To put the final nail in the coffin, Randy Effing Moss was in that draft, and I would have given my first born if the Bears had drafted him. I was a HUGE fan. I have never wanted a player more than Randy Moss. But of course the upper management knew better since they trotted out the studly combo of Bobby Engram and Ricky Proehl.

Worst draft pick you ask? Curtis Enis. Curtis freaking Enis.

This is the one that hurts the most for me. Raymont Harris (Ultraback!) was coming off of 1000+ yards in 13 games with 10 TDs and nearly 4ypc. The Bears had just drafted Rashaan Salaam 3 years prior, and in his rookie year he was over 1000 yards, but injuries hampered him after. Between the two the Bears were fine. Then they went and signed Edgar Bennett, even more reason not to draft Curtis Enis. And let's just throw a few logs on the fire. That was the year the Bears got James Allen, that little over-achieving spark plug who later went on to his own 1000+ yard season.

Meanwhile the Bears were starting John Thierry and Carl Reeves at DE. Figuring out the better one is like picking up the clean end of a turd. Oh, and right after the Bears picked, Grant Wistrom and Greg Ellis went off the board. I was partial to Ellis, but would have been happy with either.

Meanwhile part 2, some nobody named Ron Cox - not to be confused with Bryan Cox - was starting at OLB. Who was on the board? Keith Brooking and Takeo Spikes. I loved Spikes coming out of Auburn.

To put the final nail in the coffin, Randy Effing Moss was in that draft, and I would have given my first born if the Bears had drafted him. I was a HUGE fan. I have never wanted a player more than Randy Moss. But of course the upper management knew better since they trotted out the studly combo of Bobby Engram and Ricky Proehl.

Worst draft pick you ask? Curtis Enis. Curtis freaking Enis.

Yeah that was pretty bad. Enis over Moss is basically inexcusable.

I still say Wolfe was a good pick. He was just used horribly, unprofessionally, in the worst way possible, by a simpleton who almost certainly sniffed a lot of glue as a kid andshould never have seen an NFL field.

That Wolfe pick was a trainwreck. They used a 3rd round pick on an undersized RB when they already had 2 backs and already had Hester returning kicks. It wasnt just a bad pick because Wolfe sucked, it was a bad pick because it wasnt even a need at the time. They could have gotten Wolfe two rounds later if they really wanted him.

That Wolfe pick was a trainwreck. They used a 3rd round pick on an undersized RB when they already had 2 backs and already had Hester returning kicks. It wasnt just a bad pick because Wolfe sucked, it was a bad pick because it wasnt even a need at the time. They could have gotten Wolfe two rounds later if they really wanted him.

An undersized back who was nasty elusive, but was used in the worst possible ways while on the team. As for the "2" backs, Benson was already smelling like a bust or head-case, and you're not actually counting Adrian Peterson, are you? They needed someone who could be a little more elusive out of the backfield when they got rid of Thomas Jones.

Regarding Hester, the prevailing thought at the time was that it was better to kick out of bounds than kick to Hester. Or short kick it. Many thought Wolfe would be an up-back on free kicks, perfect for when the teams tried to avoid Hester. Also, keep in mind that this was the year they planned on the beginning of the Hester as WR transition.

The Bears needed a dynamic playmaker on offense, and they may have drafted one, but we'll never know because the mental midgets running the offense at the time.

An undersized back who was nasty elusive, but was used in the worst possible ways while on the team. As for the "2" backs, Benson was already smelling like a bust or head-case, and you're not actually counting Adrian Peterson, are you? They needed someone who could be a little more elusive out of the backfield when they got rid of Thomas Jones.

Regarding Hester, the prevailing thought at the time was that it was better to kick out of bounds than kick to Hester. Or short kick it. Many thought Wolfe would be an up-back on free kicks, perfect for when the teams tried to avoid Hester. Also, keep in mind that this was the year they planned on the beginning of the Hester as WR transition.

The Bears needed a dynamic playmaker on offense, and they may have drafted one, but we'll never know because the mental midgets running the offense at the time.

If he was that good, he would've been picked up by another team. I believe he ended up in the CFL and was out of football by 27.

2007 is still one of the worst drafts in my book.