Bears trade Jared Allen to Panthers

DABEARSDABOMB

And where would the Packers and Colts be had they made those moves? Packers ended up winning a superbowl with Rodgers and the Colts have made the playoffs every year with Luck and despite Lucks' turnover issues, if you had an NFL draft, Rodgers and Luck would be the top 2 picks. The Packers were able to stay great because they weren't afraid of moving on past Favre. Yes, Favre still had a few good years but Rodgers won a superbowl the year after Favre retired.

Those teams would be in awful shape had they stuck with the respective players. Even if you look at the Chargers, who let Brees go in favor of Rivers and while Brees has won a superbowl and did what he did with the Saints, I don't think the Chargers would have went any other way either (different story cause Brees was coming off an injury and not at the level of Manning / Favre).

The great franchises aren't afraid to make tough decisions. Have you seen how many guys the Patriots have shuttled out of New England? Packers have had plenty of guys walk in their dominant era as well. I feel like the inverse happens and it is the loser franchises that fall too in love with their players that they aren't able to make the right business decisions (because they are inconsistent and don't stick to a defined strategy). Heck, look what Sean Payton is doing in New Orleans. I think everyone would say he's an elite coach, but they completely blew things up in the off-season and I presume they'll move Brees at some point as they continue to rebuild (they decided things hit a point and it was time to rebuild).

If Forte wants to play with the Bears forever, then I'm okay with that, presuming money is fair, but if he wants to be the highest paid back, well I don't think that is what a good franchise would do and we shouldn't. Forte is one of my favorite Bears and is total class. Now if we think Langford is crap, different story, but if we think we have someone on this roster who is a long-term piece, then we need to be willing to make the move to see if he is that piece. Again, unless Forte is adamant about staying with the Bears, which could be, and if he is, then he'd be okay sharing a bit more carries with Langford and taking a more developmental type role (I don't suspect that he is, but that is what I'd expect if I were to bring him back).

Where would GB be? They'd likely be exactly where they are because they drafted for the future and had Rodgers for 2-3 years before Farve left. As for the Colts, who knows? The year Manning got hurt, they essentially dumped him and they sucked. I doubt very seriously their plan was to suck bad enough to get the #1 pick, but they didn't have a QB. They got nervous and it worked out for them because they ended up horrible enough to get the #1 pick.

I can't predict alternate futures, so I don't know how it would have all worked out, but suppose they kept Manning for 2-3 more years? They would have had prime Manning for 12-14, still one of the best QBs of all time, kept their HOFer on the roster, could have had the trade down value of the #1 pick in 2012, and if they thought he was finally done after last year, they could have picked a QB in this or next year's draft.

I agree about tough choices, and like the way the Patriots do things, but they have a proven track record of winning, which makes their decisions easier to stomach. If Forte wants a 5-year max deal, you thank him for his service and try to trade him before the season. If he wants to work with the team, you reward him for being a great RB (still), and sign him for a few years.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't about being emotional. It's about the fact that I don't think you should gut the whole team. Forte is still a stud, one of the top backs in the NFL, and his backups are completely unproven. A rookie QB, which could very well be behind center next year, needs vet studs to lean on, a running game to depend upon, a TE as a security blanket. He doesn't need other rookies littering the field, screwing up alongside him.

If the Bears get rid of Forte, much less Forte and either Jeffery or Bennett, they better invest everything else they have in the offensive line. Otherwise that rookie QB will get killed, his will smashed like David Carr, regardless of the weapons.

Treating a player with dignity is letting him finish his career where he wants to if that player is a career-player, probable HOFer. It's not dumping him for pennies on the dollar because you want to rebuild. The former is what dignity is; the latter is is potentially a better financial move for a franchise. Financial.

I mostly agree with this but if the offer is really good I think he's gone. Reasoning is that Forte is still a stud but Pace's job is to project what he will be for the next 1, 2, or 3 years and then the stud player becomes more of a player that needs to split snaps. If that good offer doesn't come through, he's a core player for our offense and keeping him around this season is good too. We're not going to the playoffs, even if we did get there by some miracle we're not going far. If Pace has already decided he is not going to hand out big money to a 30yr old RB then the decision is done and it's just a question of the timing for when Forte leaves.

Odd that the entire league knows Forte is up for auction yet we gave him 25 snaps today and his backups got little work. Not sure what to make of that.

You already know my thoughts on any rookie QB we might draft next year: No matter who it is he should be sitting behind Cutler for his first year.