Bears trade Jared Allen to Panthers

DABEARSDABOMB

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT?!? NOONE WANTS CUTLER?!?!? :pray

I think it might be counter productive to trade Cutler at this point. Unless you have a serviceable QB to replace him, you're actually worse off because the supporting cast isn't going to get any better. This is where not having a promising young backup really hurts the Bears. You can't evaluate the talent around the quarterback if your quarterback is Jimmy Clausen.

Maybe after the season. I'm guessing you didn't get to see the last game. If they don't have a halfway competent qb, they better blackout the rest of the season. I can take the Cutler flops, but not Jimmy Pickles.

Naw, I'm mostly just being a jerk. Although you're right that Cutler is about "half competent".

Pace should keep stockpiling picks or young talent. Out of respect for Matt Forte, pace should find a contender like New England, Denver or Cincinnati where Matt could have a Chance at the post season.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Jared Allen? Fine. He wasn't a life-long Bear. But the Bears shouldn't dump their life-long HOFers while they still have tread on the tires.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Jared Allen? Fine. He wasn't a life-long Bear. But the Bears shouldn't dump their life-long HOFers while they still have tread on the tires.

I think it is highly likely that regardless of whether or not Forte is traded this year, he's not going to be re-signed. So, I suppose if you can get something valuable for him, you might as well. I'm not interested in just giving him away, but I'd take anything higher than a 5th for him in a heartbeat.

I think it is highly likely that regardless of whether or not Forte is traded this year, he's not going to be re-signed. So, I suppose if you can get something valuable for him, you might as well. I'm not interested in just giving him away, but I'd take anything higher than a 5th for him in a heartbeat.

Why wouldn't he be resigned? He's still a monster. He's the best player on the team.

Why wouldn't he be resigned? He's still a monster. He's the best player on the team.

Because he'll be 30, and Pace wants to get younger. The fact that they weren't interested at all in extending his contract over the off-season is a good indicator that he won't be back, in my opinion. Sadly, I feel the same way about Bennett.

Because he'll be 30, and Pace wants to get younger. The fact that they weren't interested at all in extending his contract over the off-season is a good indicator that he won't be back, in my opinion. Sadly, I feel the same way about Bennett.

Agreed. 30 is getting up there, especially for a RB that has taken the pounding Forte has. I love the guy, but we did draft a promising RB and Pace is making some moves for the long term future.

This is just Jason being emotional like he was about #54. I agree with him you should treat your great players with dignity but there's a better way to handle it than was done with Urlacher. It'll be interesting to watch this unfold. I too think Matt's days in blue and orange are numbered.

I love Matt Forte but he deserves a shot at the superbowl and the classy thing to do is for Pace to move him to a legit contender. This is not a typicall player dump but since the bears are rebuilding why should Forte grind it out for a team that is going nowhere.

This is just Jason being emotional like he was about #54. I agree with him you should treat your great players with dignity but there's a better way to handle it than was done with Urlacher. It'll be interesting to watch this unfold. I too think Matt's days in blue and orange are numbered.

It isn't about being emotional. It's about the fact that I don't think you should gut the whole team. Forte is still a stud, one of the top backs in the NFL, and his backups are completely unproven. A rookie QB, which could very well be behind center next year, needs vet studs to lean on, a running game to depend upon, a TE as a security blanket. He doesn't need other rookies littering the field, screwing up alongside him.

If the Bears get rid of Forte, much less Forte and either Jeffery or Bennett, they better invest everything else they have in the offensive line. Otherwise that rookie QB will get killed, his will smashed like David Carr, regardless of the weapons.

Treating a player with dignity is letting him finish his career where he wants to if that player is a career-player, probable HOFer. It's not dumping him for pennies on the dollar because you want to rebuild. The former is what dignity is; the latter is is potentially a better financial move for a franchise. Financial.

It isn't about being emotional. It's about the fact that I don't think you should gut the whole team. Forte is still a stud, one of the top backs in the NFL, and his backups are completely unproven. A rookie QB, which could very well be behind center next year, needs vet studs to lean on, a running game to depend upon, a TE as a security blanket. He doesn't need other rookies littering the field, screwing up alongside him.

If the Bears get rid of Forte, much less Forte and either Jeffery or Bennett, they better invest everything else they have in the offensive line. Otherwise that rookie QB will get killed, his will smashed like David Carr, regardless of the weapons.

Treating a player with dignity is letting him finish his career where he wants to if that player is a career-player, probable HOFer. It's not dumping him for pennies on the dollar because you want to rebuild. The former is what dignity is; the latter is is potentially a better financial move for a franchise. Financial.

Good point. Surrounding a new qb with absolute trash and we could very much see a lesser version of Jay Cutler

I don't disagree with you on much but I will say it's definitely emotional. Let's say Forte or his agent are looking for just a one or two year extension to stay with the Bears. IMO, that's a deal that's already done. I'm sure Pace see's that Forte is still a stud, just like you and I do. But the deal isn't done meaning Matt is looking for a longer deal and probably more money than the Bears are interested in paying. So, as you say, it then becomes a financial decision. And that's just as important to the long term health, and growth, of the team. Pace needs to take that into account. You can't have a 34 year old RB with nothing left in the tank eating up $8 mil in cap space, for example.

I'm sure there are ways to structure it to take the biggest hits early on but I have to think the Bears and Matt's agent talk pretty often and he's clearly not come to the conclusion that his market value is what the Bears believe it to be. So he may have no choice but to move elsewhere to get that last contract.

To simply say you'd give in to whatever your aging superstars ask for, money-wise, is an emotional response. I don't mean it as an insult to you, I get ferkin' emotional every Sunday when I watch the Bears suck shit.

I think the key is the final point, what does Matt Forte want. Does he want to play on a contender or does he want to be part of a rebuild that he won't see the end of? I don't know the answer but if he wants to play for a contender then I think we should respect those wishes. I also think we need to see what we have in Langford. If you play the loyalty card all the time, Rodgers may never have been the QB of the Packers and Luck might not be the QB of the Colts. Both franchises would have stuck with Favre and Manning respectively and long-term, that would not have been the wise decision.

I don't disagree with you on much but I will say it's definitely emotional. Let's say Forte or his agent are looking for just a one or two year extension to stay with the Bears. IMO, that's a deal that's already done. I'm sure Pace see's that Forte is still a stud, just like you and I do. But the deal isn't done meaning Matt is looking for a longer deal and probably more money than the Bears are interested in paying. So, as you say, it then becomes a financial decision. And that's just as important to the long term health, and growth, of the team. Pace needs to take that into account. You can't have a 34 year old RB with nothing left in the tank eating up $8 mil in cap space, for example.

I'm sure there are ways to structure it to take the biggest hits early on but I have to think the Bears and Matt's agent talk pretty often and he's clearly not come to the conclusion that his market value is what the Bears believe it to be. So he may have no choice but to move elsewhere to get that last contract.

To simply say you'd give in to whatever your aging superstars ask for, money-wise, is an emotional response. I don't mean it as an insult to you, I get ferkin' emotional every Sunday when I watch the Bears suck shit.

Until we know that for sure, I don't know it. Until I see it somewhere, I don't know it. Of course if Forte says he's looking for a max contract 5-year guarantee, then you have to do something with him. But he's DEFINITELY got 2-3 years left in his legs.

I think the key is the final point, what does Matt Forte want. Does he want to play on a contender or does he want to be part of a rebuild that he won't see the end of? I don't know the answer but if he wants to play for a contender then I think we should respect those wishes. I also think we need to see what we have in Langford. If you play the loyalty card all the time, Rodgers may never have been the QB of the Packers and Luck might not be the QB of the Colts. Both franchises would have stuck with Favre and Manning respectively and long-term, that would not have been the wise decision.

Interesting analogies considering what Farve and Manning did in the 2 years after leaving their former teams. Farv had a monster year his first year in Minny, and Manning won an MVP.

Dabomb brings up a great point in what does Forte want....Does he want the chance to play for a playoff caliber team or stay in Chicago. Is money the biggest factor or number of guaranteed years?

At this point of the season we really don't know what the Bears are, they have played 3 of the top 5 teams in the NFL. Once we see them play some teams that are middle of the road we will have better idea how bad it is or maybe how close we are to being good.

Maybe with a few key additions in the off season we could be a playoff contender and Forte will want to stay, then its up to the money and years.

Interesting analogies considering what Farve and Manning did in the 2 years after leaving their former teams. Farv had a monster year his first year in Minny, and Manning won an MVP.

And where would the Packers and Colts be had they made those moves? Packers ended up winning a superbowl with Rodgers and the Colts have made the playoffs every year with Luck and despite Lucks' turnover issues, if you had an NFL draft, Rodgers and Luck would be the top 2 picks. The Packers were able to stay great because they weren't afraid of moving on past Favre. Yes, Favre still had a few good years but Rodgers won a superbowl the year after Favre retired.

Those teams would be in awful shape had they stuck with the respective players. Even if you look at the Chargers, who let Brees go in favor of Rivers and while Brees has won a superbowl and did what he did with the Saints, I don't think the Chargers would have went any other way either (different story cause Brees was coming off an injury and not at the level of Manning / Favre).

The great franchises aren't afraid to make tough decisions. Have you seen how many guys the Patriots have shuttled out of New England? Packers have had plenty of guys walk in their dominant era as well. I feel like the inverse happens and it is the loser franchises that fall too in love with their players that they aren't able to make the right business decisions (because they are inconsistent and don't stick to a defined strategy). Heck, look what Sean Payton is doing in New Orleans. I think everyone would say he's an elite coach, but they completely blew things up in the off-season and I presume they'll move Brees at some point as they continue to rebuild (they decided things hit a point and it was time to rebuild).

If Forte wants to play with the Bears forever, then I'm okay with that, presuming money is fair, but if he wants to be the highest paid back, well I don't think that is what a good franchise would do and we shouldn't. Forte is one of my favorite Bears and is total class. Now if we think Langford is crap, different story, but if we think we have someone on this roster who is a long-term piece, then we need to be willing to make the move to see if he is that piece. Again, unless Forte is adamant about staying with the Bears, which could be, and if he is, then he'd be okay sharing a bit more carries with Langford and taking a more developmental type role (I don't suspect that he is, but that is what I'd expect if I were to bring him back).

History says there's a good chance he slows down. If they can a 3rd, I'm down. He had a good game against GB but their rush defense is no bueno. He had one rush for 27 yards against AZ then averaged 2.7 yards for the other 14 carries. Hard to judge any RB against the Seahawks so I won't even go there.

Emmitt Smith is the only RB in history to have 1000+ yards in his age 31 and 32 seasons.

I'm not saying Forte can't but with the state of the Bears it would be wise to get a 3rd rounder and actually see what they have in Langford.

History says there's a good chance he slows down. If they can a 3rd, I'm down. He had a good game against GB but their rush defense is no bueno. He had one rush for 27 yards against AZ then averaged 2.7 yards for the other 14 carries. Hard to judge any RB against the Seahawks so I won't even go there.

Emmitt Smith is the only RB in history to have 1000+ yards in his age 31 and 32 seasons.

I'm not saying Forte can't but with the state of the Bears it would be wise to get a 3rd rounder and actually see what they have in Langford.

We probably are getting something closer to a 4th to 6th rounder, but either way, I think the benefit of getting Langford and Carey opportunities is worth just as much as the draft pick (which is gravy).