Zach Miller

jason

Neither play was really THAT sensational either. Sundays play was just terrible defense by the Rams, he didn't really have to do much. The catch against the Chargers was a good catch but it wasn't really anything special. He did a good job getting a hand on it and double catching it.

Do you really think Miller will be high priced? And isn't Bennett under contract next season?

...and given our cap space, we can still get linemen.

I think Miller will be more expensive than we expect. But not as expensive as Bennett. Bennett has another year, but it's expensive.

If you think Miller is the single stud TE, a 31 year old who in his whole career has less yards then Bennett in his best season, then I think you are delusional. I like Miller, but he is not a single stud TE, Bennett, well he is a single stud TE and Miller is a good, underpriced backup. And even then, we are jumping to the conclusion of good because he made a great catch 2 weeks ago and a big play this past week (which was an impressive one at that, but still just a big play). That is pretty premature given that we are talking about a 31 year old player.

In my analogy, Bennett is the stud. Based on the last two weeks, however, Miller is a stud waiting to happen. All he needs is a healthy season and enough snaps.

Neither play was really THAT sensational either. Sundays play was just terrible defense by the Rams, he didn't really have to do much. The catch against the Chargers was a good catch but it wasn't really anything special. He did a good job getting a hand on it and double catching it.

Seriously? That's insane. That one handed catch was ridiculous. Cutler put heat on the ball, and it was high. Incredible hands, focus, and coordination. As for the long TD, it was bad defense. True. But most TEs get caught from behind on that play. What was amazing was that he looked genuinely fast, especially for a TE.

• 4 weeks later...
A month later...anyone think differently? I think Miller has looked damn good.

Cut Bennett to get even more cap space, give Miller the nod, and use the extra cash on FAs.

I wouldn't just cut Bennett. He is under a reasonable contract and it is not like TE's grow on trees. If they can get a minimum 5th round pick then maybe. Miller is looking great and has a much better attitude though.

If we can draft another solid starting OT/OG, I think we can free up our TE's more. Every comment you here from the team is Bennett will be missed in the blocking game. He was leaned on a lot to block.

A month later...anyone think differently? I think Miller has looked damn good.

Cut Bennett to get even more cap space, give Miller the nod, and use the extra cash on FAs.

With the holes the Bears have I would say no. Cut Bennett and now TE is a need. Miller hasn't been able to stay healthy ever.

Miller gets hurt and the Bears would be screwed.

Bennett and Miller TE is not a need next year.

The thing that bugs me about this discussion is that Forte and Bennet are in similar situations, yet everyone appears to want to keep Bennet, some even pay him more, but Forte should get cut if he doesn't agree to damn near a vet minimum.

I don't get it.

Forte is more of a RB than Bennet is a TE.

Forte is a much bigger part of the offense.

Forte is team layer, and Bennet is difficult.

Forte means more to the Bears franchise by far.

The thing that bugs me about this discussion is that Forte and Bennet are in similar situations, yet everyone appears to want to keep Bennet, some even pay him more, but Forte should get cut if he doesn't agree to damn near a vet minimum.

I don't get it.

You're comparing Forte and Bennett, when really you should be looking at who the back ups are.

Miller has looked great, but he's also going to be a 32 year old who played in 4 games the previous 4 years because he can't stay healthy. Has he turned a corner health wise? Maybe, but if you plan on competing, are you really gonna hang your hat on it?

Jeremy Langford is a guy this regime drafted just this year and has shown flashes of being a really good football player. Carey also has looked like a serviceable backup.

It's simple.

Age.

Forte's replacement would be a young up and coming potential star.

Bennett's is an aging journeyman who has had a history of not being on the field due to injury.

If Miller were a 2nd year player, I don't think anyone would be disagreeing with you.

I'm personally fine moving from Bennett. I just ant a pick for him. Be it a 5th or 6th round. Someone will pay that I think. This staff will find a replacement. But, I fully understand why others are disagreeing w/ you.

I don't get it.

I don't get it.

The more I watch Forte late this season the more I think the Bears need to try to keep him. But I'm still not committing to huge dollars or more than a few seasons. So it'll be up to Matt as to where he thinks his market value is.

I'd let Bennett go at this point so I guess I'm one of the few that generally agrees with you on this thread.

I could see the Bears keeping Forte for another season or two at the right price and would be fine with it. Bennett hss neen inconsistent this season and did not look healthy most of the year. With that said I wouldn't cut him but would consider trading him to Seattle for a third round pick.

I don't get it.

The big difference is the age and how it translates to the position they play. RB's over the 30 year old mark typically lose a step and their play declines rapidly. A 6'6 265 TE may lose a step after hitting the 30 year mark but they typically will use their height and size and route running to get open.

I don't want to pay Bennett more, I just think cutting him or trading him leads to another need for the Bears.

I love Forte and would love to see him finish as a Bears, I just don't think it will happen with how good Langford and even Carey have looked this year.

Trade Bennett. I would be happy with a 5th or 6th round pick.

If Forte is willing to sign to a team friendly 1 or 2 year deal, then keep him. Otherwise, move on.

Peace :dabears

Yeah, I wouldn't want to cut him outright. I would assume someone would be willing to pick up Bennett for his current cap hit. If we can get a 5th or 6th for him, then, coupled with the extra cap space would probably be worth it.

Yeah, the age thing, in both regards keeps eluding me. One, because Forte doesn't move like an old guy. And, two, because Miller does move like an aging TE. Forte looks quick on the edge, and Miller looks downright explosive.

As for the cut vs trade, I didn't consider it. I don't think someone will give a 5th or 6th for an aging TE with health and personality issues.