Zach Miller

jason

Two games is pretty much all I need to see. The TD last week showed he has crazy hands. The TD this week showed he has great speed for a TE.

Bennett is owed $6M+ next year on the cap.

I think it would be wise to cut him at the end of the year and focus that money elsewhere, particularly on both lines.

If the difficult decisions are being made, and moves like cutting Forte are being considered, then I think this is fair game. Bennett means far less to the Bears than Forte, and we've seen a similar sample size in their respective replacements.

Miller's had a tough time staying healthy. I'd like to keep Bennett 1 more year. We have a ton of cap space. He's under contract. Let it ride!

Two games is pretty much all I need to see. The TD last week showed he has crazy hands. The TD this week showed he has great speed for a TE.

I think it would be wise to cut him at the end of the year and focus that money elsewhere, particularly on both lines.

If the difficult decisions are being made, and moves like cutting Forte are being considered, then I think this is fair game. Bennett means far less to the Bears than Forte, and we've seen a similar sample size in their respective replacements.

Marty has consistently been one of the best TE's in football. Miller has played well and looked good as a 2nd TE. In fact, having him and Bennett is much better then just Miller, but dropping Bennett for a guy who has put up two good games (or really 1 great catch and then a solid 2nd game) is just crazy. Miller has missed something like 3 consecutive years entering into this year. This isn't a 23 year old draft pick emerging. This is a solid player, but one who is extremely injury riddled and as such, is perfect to have as a reserve.

I also think he benefits from being the 2nd TE as Bennett garners a lot of attention, especially with us not really having a slot receiver to help take some of the attention off the middle of the field. If we could ever get a few games with Royal healthy (and eventually with White), plus Alshon / Marty and Zack, well then you are talking about something.

Also, Langford and Carey are both significantly younger then Forte. Miller is 31. Bennett is 28.

Bennett is a far better blocker than Miller and he's a good receiver. We already have $50mil in cap space for next season and TE is a position we finally have some strength at. I don't see any reason to cut Martellus and we should re-sign Miller. There is plenty of money to sign players for the Oline. If more is needed we will likely cut someone like Willie Young or Antrel Rolle as those actions would free up another $2.5- 3mil each but that would also have to go toward likely replacements for those spots. Or we can cut Bushrod and save $4mil (with $4mil in dead money). Houston was another potential target for cap space but he's playing better the last two games so we'll see if that continues.

Why is the "it is so much better to have two good TEs" a valid argument, but it is never brought up for Forte and RBs?

Because Forte is going to cost a lot more money and you rarely get to use 2 RB at the same time (yes you can mix the load but you still are talking about a set amount of carries). Plus you are advocating dropping a 28 year old Bennett to build around a 31 year old Miller. In no world does that make sense. Also, because the cap hit on Forte will be more then Marty who is actually under contract for next year. In a 2 TE set, you are also limited, but in this case, we aren't pissing a ton of cap space into the spot.

I respect the hell out of Forte (and Urlacher) for that matter and what they did for this franchise, but it is also a business and if Langford and Carey look capable and can do it for peanuts, you go that route and invest the other resources in other spots, such as the oline or defense. By the way, if Forte wanted to come back for another year, I'd be okay with it, but I'm not about to hand him a 3-4 year deal (not unless Langford's legs fall off or game film gets out and makes him look like crap). I also don't think Forte is going to want to come back next year anyway (and share the load with a rookie).

Because Forte is going to cost a lot more money and you rarely get to use 2 RB at the same time (yes you can mix the load but you still are talking about a set amount of carries). Plus you are advocating dropping a 28 year old Bennett to build around a 31 year old Miller. In no world does that make sense. Also, because the cap hit on Forte will be more then Marty who is actually under contract for next year. In a 2 TE set, you are also limited, but in this case, we aren't pissing a ton of cap space into the spot.

I respect the hell out of Forte (and Urlacher) for that matter and what they did for this franchise, but it is also a business and if Langford and Carey look capable and can do it for peanuts, you go that route and invest the other resources in other spots, such as the oline or defense. By the way, if Forte wanted to come back for another year, I'd be okay with it, but I'm not about to hand him a 3-4 year deal (not unless Langford's legs fall off or game film gets out and makes him look like crap). I also don't think Forte is going to want to come back next year anyway (and share the load with a rookie).

Two TE sets are not something nearly any team does with success. And when they do, one of those TEs is really just a lineman who is eligible to catch a handful of passes a year. Further, the miles on RB legs mean the Bears should spread the load as much as possible to save the miles.

What I'm advocating is just clearing cap space. Marty is under contract next year, but if he's dumped the dead money is minimal and the cap saving is substantial. You said what I'm advocating: "it is also a business and if (Zach Miller) look capable and can do it for peanuts, you go that route and invest the other resources in other spots, such as the oline or defense."

Two TE sets are not something nearly any team does with success. And when they do, one of those TEs is really just a lineman who is eligible to catch a handful of passes a year. Further, the miles on RB legs mean the Bears should spread the load as much as possible to save the miles.

What I'm advocating is just clearing cap space. Marty is under contract next year, but if he's dumped the dead money is minimal and the cap saving is substantial. You said what I'm advocating: "it is also a business and if (Zach Miller) look capable and can do it for peanuts, you go that route and invest the other resources in other spots, such as the oline or defense."

As I've said, I'' okay if we had a top pick / young guy that was cheap and had upside stepping in, but I'm not okay with using a 31 year old who has barely stayed on the field in his career. We have a guy still in his prime and we should leverage the fact that we have a quality back-up around him. Two TE sets work. A lot of teams can't leverage it successfully but the Pats were masters of it with Gronk / Hernandez and we've seen it work well in other places. We also have a bazillion in cap space so I'm not all that concerned about Bennett @ his going cap hit (which is very little compared with his production). Marty is on pace for over 700 yards. Miller has 635 yards since he entered the league in 2009. Prior to this year, over the past 4 years he had played in 4 total games (yes 4, so an average of 1 game per season).

If Langord was 31 and was coming off the past two games that he had, their is no way in a million years I'd be arguing to drop Forte for Langford.

If we were strapped for cap space, I think it would be something to consider. However, given our cap space, we may actually be hard pressed to get to the cap floor (even though it is for a multi-year period).

We could consider it, but because we are going to draft or sign another guy, not because we are going to take a guy who entering this year played in 4 games over a 4 year span. I hope to hell Miller stays healthy but his past history tells me we shouldn't hand him a starters position based upon it. Especially when the other guy we have is a probowler who is an above average receiver and blocker and still in the prime of his career (especially considering the fact that TE's age pretty solid).

No way do you let a good football player just walk. First off, I would try and extend the guy. Take that 6 million and spread it out and help both parties if we need cap. If they really have to free up cap space, trade the guy. He is one of the best all around TEs in the league now and should command a 4th at best. If he didn't have to help block, he could be putting up better stats. He is being asked alot this season with the makeshift offensive lines.

I wouldn't mind locking them both up for a couple of years. Gronk and Hernandez were a pretty crazy TE duo. Miller and Bennett are different enough that both could have roles in this offense. That would take TE off the "needs" list for a few years while we pile up in other need areas.

Not much I can add to what everyone has said , but yeah everyone but Jason is on point.

Bears gotta start developing their own prospects and right now not only does Langford look every bit the part of a starting RB, but Carey also looks to be a pretty good complement as a short yardage back. So to me you have to throw his name in the mix as well

He's a 31 year old injury plagued player. You don't dump one of the beat all around TEs in the league for him. They can coexist nicely.

Maybe the better question to Jason is why can't we fix the Oline with $50mil in cap space? I realize Kyle Long and Jeffrey will get a big chuck of this but still we'll be left with $30-35mil. Cut Bushrod and we have another $4mil to spend. Aside from Long's increased cap hit Slauson and Grasu will stay. I expect Leno will continue as our starting LT so we're looking at adding perhaps either a RT or RG depending on where they want to lineup Long next season, and then some guys for depth.

Maybe the better question to Jason is why can't we fix the Oline with $50mil in cap space? I realize Kyle Long and Jeffrey will get a big chuck of this but still we'll be left with $30-35mil. Cut Bushrod and we have another $4mil to spend. Aside from Long's increased cap hit Slauson and Grasu will stay. I expect Leno will continue as our starting LT so we're looking at adding perhaps either a RT or RG depending on where they want to lineup Long next season, and then some guys for depth.

It would also be wise to re-sign Jenkins, Acho, and Porter to keep them around for a few more years. We have more than enough to do that, extend Alshon and Kyle, as well as make a couple of FA acquisitions.

It would also be wise to re-sign Jenkins, Acho, and Porter to keep them around for a few more years. We have more than enough to do that, extend Alshon and Kyle, as well as make a couple of FA acquisitions.

The wise moves are to re-sign your own. I would also hold off on Long since he has one more year left, like they did with Alshon. Spend on FA's that are young, like McPhee that show signs of taking that next step. With 9 draft picks, if they choose right will leave little room.

Miller can not be counted on like we do Bennett. Miller is not near the blocker Bennett is, nor is proven to have any durability. At this point in his career Forte is becoming a liability. Our offense has been more explosive since the youngsters took over.

Oh, it's possible, but prepare for the fury if the Bears invest heavily in OL.

I like the middle of the OL: Slausson, Grassu, Long.

Sign the best available OT and draft one in the first round. Then grab another guy somewhere in the 4-6 range.

Oh, it's possible, but prepare for the fury if the Bears invest heavily in OL.

I like the middle of the OL: Slausson, Grassu, Long.

Sign the best available OT and draft one in the first round. Then grab another guy somewhere in the 4-6 range.

I'm not so sure Leno isn't a starting OT next year.

I'm fine with wherever they wanna put Long.

some points have already been mentioned

1. Miller hasn't stayed healthy so no reason to believe he will now, maybe he finally gets past the injury bug tho

2. Bennett is an all around great TE, blocking and passing catching - I think you try to extend him and give him some more money to make him happy- not a break the bank type amount but raise.

3. NE used the shit out of the two TE sets, granted Gronk and Herendez were both GREAT athletes.

4. Right now the Bears are projected for 60 mil in cap space, read in one article that it could be as high as 70 depending on cap level and cuts the Bears make. Plenty of money to sign new guys and resign our own

5. Forte, I think you try to resign but if he wants too much you have to let him walk. Team loves him, still a threat in all phases of the game and could be good for team morale

6. If by not signing Forte they go and get a good OL I think its a no brainer. Improving the Oline will only make Langford and CO better, and give Cutler some time to throw because as of now he does not have much time

I hate the "New England did it!"-argument.

The Bears are not New England.

Nobody is New England.

Cutler is not Brady.

Nobody is Brady.

Etc.

I'd rather have the single stud TE, and a cheap big-boy who blocks. Or a cheap backup who has potential. The Bears don't need to spend money on two high-priced TEs. I'd rather see the money spent on multiple RBs since they are more likely to get injured, or, surprise, surprise, better OLinemen so the stars of the team don't get injured/hit as often.

Nobody is New England.

Cutler is not Brady.

Nobody is Brady.

Etc.

I'd rather have the single stud TE, and a cheap big-boy who blocks. Or a cheap backup who has potential. The Bears don't need to spend money on two high-priced TEs. I'd rather see the money spent on multiple RBs since they are more likely to get injured, or, surprise, surprise, better OLinemen so the stars of the team don't get injured/hit as often.

If you don't think Gase and Cutler could have taken advantage go Gronk and AH you are crazy. They created a nightmare in match ups.

I do agree tho, NE and Brady are on another level. I wonder if Hoodie retires when Brady retires?

Do you really think Miller will be high priced? And isn't Bennett under contract next season?

...and given our cap space, we can still get linemen.

Nobody is New England.

Cutler is not Brady.

Nobody is Brady.

Etc.

Nobody is New England.

Cutler is not Brady.

Nobody is Brady.

Etc.

If you think Miller is the single stud TE, a 31 year old who in his whole career has less yards then Bennett in his best season, then I think you are delusional. I like Miller, but he is not a single stud TE, Bennett, well he is a single stud TE and Miller is a good, underpriced backup. And even then, we are jumping to the conclusion of good because he made a great catch 2 weeks ago and a big play this past week (which was an impressive one at that, but still just a big play). That is pretty premature given that we are talking about a 31 year old player.