If the Bears select [INSERT NAME/POSITION] in the 1st...

jason

Laquon Treadwell WR - even though he is a local, from Crete-Monee, I would be pissed if the Bears draft another WR.

That would be two WR's taken back to back that realistically could have been used in another area.

That would be very Detroit Lions, even tho I believe they went 3 years in a row, finally getting it right with Megatron.

1st year = kid from MSU who i thought was going to be great

2nd year = Mike Williams from USC

3rd year = Megatron

Talk about spending some draft pics to get a WR! lol

Loved watching the Lions draft during that time frame. Vikes have also been fun to watch, one of my favorite picks they took was Christian Ponder! I thought he would suck from the jump.

`My pick that I would hate would probably be QB as well. I think with an overall talent upgrade to the roster you can make a run with Cutler.

I'll start:

QB.

Any QB.

That would be about the only pick that would bring me back from casually paying attention to the Bears to an avid fan again, or at the very least interested in the team.

It's hard to get behind regime after regime that hitch their wagon to Cutler, when I'd prefer to never watch another Cutler lead team again.

That would be about the only pick that would bring me back from casually paying attention to the Bears to an avid fan again, or at the very least interested in the team.

It's hard to get behind regime after regime that hitch their wagon to Cutler, when I'd prefer to never watch another Cutler lead team again.

I got one better for you (although Ive accepted that Jay is coming back):

I'd be super pissed if I heard: "With the 11th overall pick the Chicago Bears trade their pick to the Cleveland Browns for rights to Johnny Manziel."

So it's possible it could be worse.

And after the first year they suck because there is a QB controversy on a team that is missing a first round impact player, then the next year when the 2nd year rookie puts in his nearly guaranteed subpar season? Back to casual?

I'd be super pissed if I heard: "With the 11th overall pick the Chicago Bears trade their pick to the Cleveland Browns for rights to Johnny Manziel."

The Bears wont have to give up a pick for Manziel....word on the streets is that the Browns are going to cut him in March. And bring from Texas....he might land with the Jerry Jones show.

A'Shawn Robinson. I just don't get the hype.

I don't think now is the time to grab a QB in the first round either. This team, yes with Jay, can contend with a good draft class that includes an impact player defensive player in the 1R.

Yes the Packers did it with Rodgers, but they were also a pretty complete team.

The Bears wont have to give up a pick for Manziel....word on the streets is that the Browns are going to cut him in March. And bring from Texas....he might land with the Jerry Jones show.

Yeah I know. I was more trying to lift up TDs spirits.

But, theoretically speaking, if Johnny Dipshit goes to Dallas and plays behind a predominantly 1st round Oline, he's sure to win the Super Bowl -yes?

Picking a QB at #11 won't make me that upset simply because our backup is bad. I don't have that much confidence in Fales but maybe he can prove me wrong in the next preseason.

There is that valid argument that giving up an elite 1st Rd talent at another position just to have a backup QB for a couple years doesn't help as much as say Buckner or Jack. The flip side is that Jay usually doesn't get through an entire season and last year that meant some automatic losses. Even when he returned he wasn't nearly 100% (75% Jay was a lot better than 100% Clausen).

If Pace feels a guy like Wentz or Goff can be a franchise QB in 2-3 years and he's BPA then go for it because I still think it helps us get into the playoffs in at least one of the next two seasons, if not both. If he drafts Cook at #11 then he's outta his mind. I don't see this happening as I think we're more likely to grab a QB on day 3.

Now back to the question. I'll put this in the context of likely 1st Rd players at our positions of highest need. I don't want Nkemdiche. I liked him months ago after seeing him in one game where he did some impressive stuff but now I've watched other games, looked at his lack of production vs. talent, seen his lack of effort on many plays, plus the crazy jumping out the window/doesn't talk with teammates, etc. ..... and I just prefer to pass. While his ceiling might be high, his floor is far too low for me to take him at #11.

And after the first year they suck because there is a QB controversy on a team that is missing a first round impact player, then the next year when the 2nd year rookie puts in his nearly guaranteed subpar season? Back to casual?

Are you honestly trying to say the Bears are an impact player away and a rookie one at that? That's literally the scenario you just put forth.

There's not a single player in the league you could put on this team and make them a serious contender next year. JJ Watt could change his name, appearance, enter the draft under a fake name, and the Bears pick him with their first pick. The Bears still wouldn't be contenders next year. An impact D player doesn't give you that. Infact, great D's rarely last more than a year or 2, with Seattle recently being the exception.

If they draft a QB in the first, I don't care if he is the next Peyton Manning or becomes the next Ryan Leif. They at least acknowledged the problem and are trying to address the situation. Even if you are confident in Jay Cutler now, he will be 33 next month. When will the team be a contender? Will it be in 2 more years when he is 35? What do you do the next year when he is 36 or when he is 37?

The position needs addressed for the future and not just because of Cutler's mediocrity. Once the Bears do draft a QB, it will likely take 2 or 3 more years of playing before he can start to reach his potential. A QB has a huge learning curve due to how the position is taught in college and the demands of an NFL QB.

With a combination of a good free agent class coupled with a good draft class they absolutely could contend.

They played the toughest schedule in the league and were a few breaks away from .500

Plus, I'm not really sold on any of the QBs in the 1st. If you want a QB to sit and develop, I'd rather go after a guy like Hackenberg, Brissett, Hogan, Prescot, or Jones in the 3-4 rounds.

With a combination of a good free agent class coupled with a good draft class they absolutely could contend.

They played the toughest schedule in the league and were a few breaks away from .500

Plus, I'm not really sold on any of the QBs in the 1st. If you want a QB to sit and develop, I'd rather go after a guy like Hackenberg, Brissett, Hogan, Prescot, or Jones in the 3-4 rounds.

This is pretty much my answer. With a few breaks, White playing like a first round WR, Alshon or any other WR being healthy, and one defensive stud to make a few big plays each game, this team is absolutely in the playoff hunt. That's why I have floated the idea of just letting Fangio have a defense-heavy draft.

If they draft a QB in the first, I don't care if he is the next Peyton Manning or becomes the next Ryan Leif. They at least acknowledged the problem and are trying to address the situation. Even if you are confident in Jay Cutler now, he will be 33 next month. When will the team be a contender? Will it be in 2 more years when he is 35? What do you do the next year when he is 36 or when he is 37?

The position needs addressed for the future and not just because of Cutler's mediocrity. Once the Bears do draft a QB, it will likely take 2 or 3 more years of playing before he can start to reach his potential. A QB has a huge learning curve due to how the position is taught in college and the demands of an NFL QB.

i have to agree. if there is a QB that LOOKS like a future franchise player in a couple of years and is a value at the #11 spot you have to take him regardless of cutlers future with this club. most QB's shelf life hits the wall around 34 or 35 and with all the punishment cutler has had to endure with our previous lame excuse for an offense i don't look for him to last much more than that.

we HOPEFULLY will not be in a position to draft this high again for quite some time so NOW is the time to pull the trigger unless the prospects (which i don't have a clue in regards to quality and potential as i don't watch college ball anymore) don't look like those quality type of players.

the only other prospect i can see would be nearly as high as QB is left tackle. that is the only exception i would accept, again, if the quality of the LOT is there. if not go defense. certainly not a RT unless that is the best option for quality left to us.

that dictates looking ahead for the real health of this franchise unlike the 'win it now' or 'who is most likely to start' player agenda of lovie and angelo for 10 years.

This is pretty much my answer. With a few breaks, White playing like a first round WR, Alshon or any other WR being healthy, and one defensive stud to make a few big plays each game, this team is absolutely in the playoff hunt. That's why I have floated the idea of just letting Fangio have a defense-heavy draft.

I don't consider being in the play off hunt a contender. Some pitiful teams were there. I'm talking about going for the Super Bowl. The Bengals were a low end contender this year, while many horrible teams were in the play off hunt.

If you're saying, would I still be interested in the team if they suffer from a QB controversy/lack of the theoretical rookie playmaker on D (which I don't think I have ever seen turn a D around), then yes I would. I would much rather not see the Bears compete for a playoff spot with near .500 teams with no chance of winning the Super Bowl, while having possibly the QB of the future and a better draft picks next year on a team that could use the higher selections.

Yeah I know. I was more trying to lift up TDs spirits.

But, theoretically speaking, if Johnny Dipshit goes to Dallas and plays behind a predominantly 1st round Oline, he's sure to win the Super Bowl -yes?

Ummm...no. If Romo can't win one there with all the O-line talent neither will Mr. Johnny party.

I don't consider being in the play off hunt a contender. Some pitiful teams were there. I'm talking about going for the Super Bowl. The Bengals were a low end contender this year, while many horrible teams were in the play off hunt.

If you're saying, would I still be interested in the team if they suffer from a QB controversy/lack of the theoretical rookie playmaker on D (which I don't think I have ever seen turn a D around), then yes I would. I would much rather not see the Bears compete for a playoff spot with near .500 teams with no chance of winning the Super Bowl, while having possibly the QB of the future and a better draft picks next year on a team that could use the higher selections.

In that case, no. The Bears aren't there, even with a stud on D. But, then again, there are only 4-5 teams each year that are contenders. Others are pretenders who get thumped in the playoffs.

As for your last paragraph, you know I'm fine with the philosophy behind taking a few steps back to take a giant leap forward. I just don't think picking a QB in the first is the correct path for the current Bears. I believe they are small moves away from playoff hunt, and one or two player personnel breaks from contention. And that's with Cutler. Imagine if just the following happens:

1. WRs stay healthy, Alshon continues to dominate, Kevin White shows why he is a monster and 1st round worthy, Royal is a consistent slot threat.

2. Bennett and/or Miller provide a consistent threat over the middle

3. Long improves or moves back to OG, Leno takes a step forward, and the Bears solidify the group with a FA and/or Draft Pick

If JUST that happens, the Bears offense takes a momentous leap forward. Cutler, who went for 3600+/21TDs/11INTs likely increases yards, TDs, and the INTs will be similar because not only does the system stays the same for a change, but the talent will spread the opposing defenses more.

That would take Chicago from 21st in total O to somewhere close to top 10, and it's not that big of a stretch since it's just a matter of healthy WRs and a slightly improved OL.

And that's just offense!

If the Bears hit on a 1st round defensive stud, maybe hit on another defensive pick later, that would be all it would take to put Chicago into contention.

That is totally unrealistic.

I think it's totally possible for the Bears to end up with an extra first this year.

If Jeffery really doesn't want to be here, I haven't been keeping up but remember reading some where a while back that he doesn't, and another team comes along offering picks, he could be gone.

WR's go pretty high in the draft, and I could see a team willing to pay a decent compensation for a WR of his caliber that is proven, vs taking a risk on a bust.

I don't think they will pay the full franchise price, but I could see the Bears moving on, because they see it as if you aren't with the program then you can go some where else. Atleast that is the vibe i get.

So we may be talking about who would you be mad at if these 2 ppl were taken with our first 2 picks instead of one.Just speculation on my part, as I haven't been keeping up as religiously.

I think it's possible that he and the black unicorn could be gone by next year.

I think it's totally possible for the Bears to end up with an extra first this year.

If Jeffery really doesn't want to be here, I haven't been keeping up but remember reading some where a while back that he doesn't, and another team comes along offering picks, he could be gone.

WR's go pretty high in the draft, and I could see a team willing to pay a decent compensation for a WR of his caliber that is proven, vs taking a risk on a bust.

I don't think they will pay the full franchise price, but I could see the Bears moving on, because they see it as if you aren't with the program then you can go some where else. Atleast that is the vibe i get.

So we may be talking about who would you be mad at if these 2 ppl were taken with our first 2 picks instead of one.Just speculation on my part, as I haven't been keeping up as religiously.

I think it's possible that he and the black unicorn could be gone by next year.

I have thought of the same thing.

Suppose Fox just says, "I want my guys. I don't want any previous regime guys if they're going to complain at all."

That could mean franchise+trade Alshon, because he figures the Bears could replace him with White, and the passing game will improve if the other WRs like Royal are healthy.

That could also mean a trade of Bennet, who probably wouldn't fetch that much in the open market, but could yield a pretty good amount at draft time.

I have thought of the same thing.

Suppose Fox just says, "I want my guys. I don't want any previous regime guys if they're going to complain at all."

That could mean franchise+trade Alshon, because he figures the Bears could replace him with White, and the passing game will improve if the other WRs like Royal are healthy.

That could also mean a trade of Bennet, who probably wouldn't fetch that much in the open market, but could yield a pretty good amount at draft time.

To be honest, I thought White was going to be a bust going into the draft. If you add in a shattered leg, and I think chances are that he will be. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't want to see the Bears put their eggs in his basket.

Royal is just a joke other than a few games a year.