Former Team Dr's Insights on Medical Opinion / Injuries

DABEARSDABOMB

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/monday...orters-sources/

I've just presumed Smith will recover and be a stud, but this makes you think twice (albeit, the dr has not actually reviewed Smith's medical records). It seems that if you take Smith, you should do so knowing there is a high risk that he doesn't play or is really just building himself back in 2016. I am okay with that risk, but it would be really interesting to see what the actual quacks are looking at and see when they review these guys.

Makes you further appreciate those "medical" guys who end up just falling down draft boards despite "good" reports of health.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/monday...orters-sources/

I've just presumed Smith will recover and be a stud, but this makes you think twice (albeit, the dr has not actually reviewed Smith's medical records). It seems that if you take Smith, you should do so knowing there is a high risk that he doesn't play or is really just building himself back in 2016. I am okay with that risk, but it would be really interesting to see what the actual quacks are looking at and see when they review these guys.

Makes you further appreciate those "medical" guys who end up just falling down draft boards despite "good" reports of health.

Pace's pre-combine interview, he mentioned how medical exams and interviews are the most important things the get from the combine. He wants a clean slate of health, which may eliminate Smith and Jack.

Pace's pre-combine interview, he mentioned how medical exams and interviews are the most important things the get from the combine. He wants a clean slate of health, which may eliminate Smith and Jack.

If the medical exams look good, I wouldn't nessesarily say that's true.

All the reports I've seen are encouraging.

I think there has to be a lot of stock taken into the 'what if' of a potentially career altering (not ending) injury like what Smith had. Are we really ok with our team drafting for the future if that means waiting for an extra year after we draft them to produce? Since when did we get away from the mindset that typically your #1 pick (especially in the first half of the draft) is supposed to be an instant starter? We drafted White last year expecting him to start only to find out he couldn't (I know different circumstance). But if for nothing else, and IMHO, we should be even more wary of players who have suffered some sort of major injury. And I for one would be concerned if our GM were ok with drafting a player KNWOWING he won't be able to produce this year...and especially a 1st round prospect.

Over time I know there have been a few exceptions to the rule of injury and the player still managing to be productive. Willis McGahee and Navarro Bowman being those exceptions. Is it something to be said for the marvels of modern science or just luck that they were able to produce after such horrific injuries?

I don't know that Pace has the luxury of drafting a player to sit on the bench for a year after having it happen with White. And I for one don't blame him if he avoids it.

I think there has to be a lot of stock taken into the 'what if' of a potentially career altering (not ending) injury like what Smith had. Are we really ok with our team drafting for the future if that means waiting for an extra year after we draft them to produce? Since when did we get away from the mindset that typically your #1 pick (especially in the first half of the draft) is supposed to be an instant starter? We drafted White last year expecting him to start only to find out he couldn't (I know different circumstance). But if for nothing else, and IMHO, we should be even more wary of players who have suffered some sort of major injury. And I for one would be concerned if our GM were ok with drafting a player KNWOWING he won't be able to produce this year...and especially a 1st round prospect.

Over time I know there have been a few exceptions to the rule of injury and the player still managing to be productive. Willis McGahee and Navarro Bowman being those exceptions. Is it something to be said for the marvels of modern science or just luck that they were able to produce after such horrific injuries?

I don't know that Pace has the luxury of drafting a player to sit on the bench for a year after having it happen with White. And I for one don't blame him if he avoids it.

These days I think there are more players returning to previous level vs players not returning to their former selves.

Myles Jack is likely to have a 100% healthy knee, or nearly so. He might not be in full conditioning shape but that's a different subject not much different from White's injury late in the season where it was healed but he still didn't have full strength in his leg. If the MRI shows the meniscus tear has fully healed then there should be little worry. Jaylon Smith is a completely different story and who knows, maybe he drops to the 2nd Rd.

Myles Jack is likely to have a 100% healthy knee, or nearly so. He might not be in full conditioning shape but that's a different subject not much different from White's injury late in the season where it was healed but he still didn't have full strength in his leg. If the MRI shows the meniscus tear has fully healed then there should be little worry. Jaylon Smith is a completely different story and who knows, maybe he drops to the 2nd Rd.

Seems highly unlikely that Smith drops to the 2nd. I've read multiple articles that say he doesn't make it past #18.

He's expected to be off of crutches sometime this week which is way ahead of schedule. Modern medicine and treatments just kick ass.

The Bulls D Rose.

Rose is made of glass. I want examples of football players.

Only player i can kind of think of is Thomas Davis, but that's kind of an example going both ways. He tore his ACL once, then did it again the next 2 years but he's still a monster after 3 surgeries. It's kind of an example going the other way because he missed a lot of time when they happened.

Rose is made of glass. I want examples of football players.

RGIII is a recent example. And Robert Edwards (formerly of NE). Ki-Jana Carter, Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis. Admittedly I never would have thought of Davis but in reading up on this and after all his success with Denver, he was injured in '99. Enough where he couldn't return. "What could have been."

Thing of it is is that many who suffer career ending injuries do so in college and are never heard from again.

I just can't see Pace taking Smith in the first round after White missed his rookie year.

I just don't see why the past should have anything to do with the future.

This is a guy who experts are saying is a top 3 talent when healthy. I still like Jack better, but Smith is now #2 on my list. I've sold myself.

RGIII is a recent example. And Robert Edwards (formerly of NE). Ki-Jana Carter, Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis. Admittedly I never would have thought of Davis but in reading up on this and after all his success with Denver, he was injured in '99. Enough where he couldn't return. "What could have been."

Thing of it is is that many who suffer career ending injuries do so in college and are never heard from again.

I suppose RGIII is a fair example. I still think he goes somewhere and proves to be an NFL QB again.

I just don't see why the past should have anything to do with the future.

This is a guy who experts are saying is a top 3 talent when healthy. I still like Jack better, but Smith is now #2 on my list. I've sold myself.

Because Smith has not played since the injury and it was the ACL and LCL, which is supposedly worse than the ACL/MCL. When healthy, definitely a top 3 talent but post injury/surgery? Who knows. It is bad enough that guys don't pan out when healthy; this guy has a tough road ahead. ILB's have to change directions a lot and quickly; can a repaired knee handle that type of stress?

Because Smith has not played since the injury and it was the ACL and LCL, which is supposedly worse than the ACL/MCL. When healthy, definitely a top 3 talent but post injury/surgery? Who knows. It is bad enough that guys don't pan out when healthy; this guy has a tough road ahead. ILB's have to change directions a lot and quickly; can a repaired knee handle that type of stress?

Depending on who is on the board, I think it's worth the risk. I may be alone on that, and that is fine, but we're talking about a several year investment here.

When I see experts saying he could have been the top player taken and comparisons too Patrick Willis, I drool.

I am living proof that the answer is yes. I've partially torn the ACL in the left knee, with a full tear of the LCL as well. In my right knee I had a full tear of the MCL. I do lots of long distance running, so I know the ligaments can take a pounding. I also officiate football which requires lots of high speed direction change to get out of the way of huge/fast players. And on top of that, I play basketball. And I'm quite sure his doctor support is better than anything I received.

Having said all that, it still doesn't feel the same. In either knee. Never has, and I rehabbed like a mad-man.

I just don't see how Pace could roll the dice on two-straight years of a 1st round pick not playing. It'd be crazy in my mind. He'd get torn to shreds in the media. Everyone would question his abilities and judgement.

I am living proof that the answer is yes. I've partially torn the ACL in the left knee, with a full tear of the LCL as well. In my right knee I had a full tear of the MCL. I do lots of long distance running, so I know the ligaments can take a pounding. I also officiate football which requires lots of high speed direction change to get out of the way of huge/fast players. And on top of that, I play basketball. And I'm quite sure his doctor support is better than anything I received.

Having said all that, it still doesn't feel the same. In either knee. Never has, and I rehabbed like a mad-man.

I just don't see how Pace could roll the dice on two-straight years of a 1st round pick not playing. It'd be crazy in my mind. He'd get torn to shreds in the media. Everyone would question his abilities and judgement.

The difference is you don't have 300+ pounders running full speed at you while you are planting and changing directions, or players making contact with your legs and knees.

I have a partially torn meniscus that is fine if I run on flat ground, even sprinting, but the minute I run hills or start cutting, it hurts like hell. So I can see how you can run long distances without issue, but that puts no where near the force on the knee compared to football moves with contact.

The difference is you don't have 300+ pounders running full speed at you while you are planting and changing directions, or players making contact with your legs and knees.

I have a partially torn meniscus that is fine if I run on flat ground, even sprinting, but the minute I run hills or start cutting, it hurts like hell. So I can see how you can run long distances without issue, but that puts no where near the force on the knee compared to football moves with contact.

Maybe I didn't make it clear. I do lots of cutting and spinning as well. It's not exactly the same, obviously, but there are often times I'm on a full sprint or back-pedal and have to rotate/pivot 90 or 180 degrees. As for cutting, I know of no other sport where you have to cut as change direction as basketball.

It's possible to recover from the injuries quickly, and a repaired knee can certainly handle the pressure. But if it's rushed back, there will be trouble.

Not worth the risk when spending mega-millions on a guy.

Nerve issues, worse than expected. Saying "at least" 2016 may drop him further than originally thought.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/703346089454411777

DAAAAAAAMN!!! But now the interesting question...at what point can the Bears afford to redshirt him for a year? With that sort of talent, athleticism, ability, football instincts, etc., what round is worth the gamble of not having him for an entire year?

My first instinct says if he's there in the third round, you grab him.

DAAAAAAAMN!!! But now the interesting question...at what point can the Bears afford to redshirt him for a year? With that sort of talent, athleticism, ability, football instincts, etc., what round is worth the gamble of not having him for an entire year?

My first instinct says if he's there in the third round, you grab him.

Yeah, I think depending on how well FA goes, I would take that chance in the 3rd.