What's next

bradjock

I suspect we resign Miller to a 3 year 5.75 deal with 1.5 guaranteed. Which would essentially be a one year 1.5 deal.

Porter is basically a 2 year 4.25 deal, so if he fails he wont last long.

If we dont sign Hicks then who?

Ayers as a OLB?

Fairly on a prove it deal?

Knighton? maybe getting back with Fox , he will play better

Jared Click- now bad stats

Jarvis Jenkins- back for a rotational position.

I think if we can get Hicks. Maybe throw in a Miller coming back and a little Patrick Robinson/CB. Then David Burton, we have open BPA at #11

I suspect we resign Miller to a 3 year 5.75 deal with 1.5 guaranteed. Which would essentially be a one year 1.5 deal.

Porter is basically a 2 year 4.25 deal, so if he fails he wont last long.

If we dont sign Hicks then who?

Ayers as a OLB?

Fairly on a prove it deal?

Knighton? maybe getting back with Fox , he will play better

Jared Click- now bad stats

Jarvis Jenkins- back for a rotational position.

Jarvis Jenkins signed with the Jets for 3 years 6 million.

I think if we can get Hicks. Maybe throw in a Miller coming back and a little Patrick Robinson/CB. Then David Burton, we have open BPA at #11

Yeah, Hicks, Robinson, and Bruton, and re-sign Miller. That would cap off a very solid and productive FA period.

He'd be a nice addition and give us some security at CB but with the money we spent on Porter I'm not sure we'll continue to go after Robinson. Bears were reportedly talking with Robinson early but when things didn't progress its because the terms each side wanted were too far apart. I think we offered him something similar to what Porter got, maybe a bit more, and when he didn't bite we felt we should just stick with the devil we know and signed Porter. Of course the longer he's on the market the more his price drops. Bringing back McMannis, who will sort of hold the last CB roster spot affirms this in my mind. Also see Callahan as a keeper at NB.

Fuller, Porter, Callahan, rookie, McManis, and then we'll bring in some other bodies, mix of vet FA and UDFA, to compete for the bottom spots on the roster.

Jarvis Jenkins signed with the Jets for 3 years 6 million.

Actually that report was false. If you look at Jets website , he is not listed in transactions. It is not an oversite. If you go to Jets beat writers, one lady reported that the deal is not done yet. It was reported on twitter was latter shown that was incorrect.

Actually that report was false. If you look at Jets website , he is not listed in transactions. It is not an oversite. If you go to Jets beat writers, one lady reported that the deal is not done yet. It was reported on twitter was latter shown that was incorrect.

This appears to be the situation on Jenkins. And Hicks....

https://mobile.twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/s...415899250720768

That's from two days ago (before Hicks' visit even).

ILB----check(two) Freeman and Trevathan

OL----check right tackle Massie

CB----check Porter

DE....check Hicks

now we need a safety

another CB

a TE

I would like Walter Thurmond here..can play CB or S if not settle for David Burton or Rahim Moore

if not Thurmond at CB then Patrick Robinson

Scott Chandler at TE.. a good blocker that has some catch ability

I'll interested to see where Pace turns his attention next. Based on the Bears needs and the age of players Pace seems to be targeting (no one over 30, basically), these seem like the best fits to me.

-S - Someone elsewhere has mentioned Tony Jefferson, but he does make sense as a young safety coming from a strong Cardinals defense maybe poised for a breakout (like what we are hoping to see with Hicks).

-CB - Not a lot here, but Nolan Carroll was arguably the best CB on a bad Philly defense last year, and at 6'1" has the size Fangio tends to favor in his CBs.

- TE - Beyond the rumors or Miller and Jared Cook, Rhett Ellison from the Vikings might be a consideration. He's been stuck behind a good young TE, but is a former 4th round pick out of USC who ran a 4.69 40 coming out of the draft and has averaged over 10 yards per reception.

- OT - I'd love to see them kick the tires on Kelvin Beacham from the Steelers, who is coming off an ACL injury, but is just 27 and is an upgrade from Leno if healthy.

I heard we had about $25 million in cap room after adding Hicks, and that about $10 million of that would be reserved for the draft. So we have about $12 million left after Miller, though that might go up to $17 million if we move Bennett. Could still add some decent pieces in the secondary, I would think.

I heard we had about $25 million in cap room after adding Hicks, and that about $10 million of that would be reserved for the draft. So we have about $12 million left after Miller, though that might go up to $17 million if we move Bennett. Could still add some decent pieces in the secondary, I would think.

Cap question, a lot of these contracts are incentive laden. Wonder if that is figured into the remaining cap or if we have to keep space open for that? Not sure how that works.

Cap question, a lot of these contracts are incentive laden. Wonder if that is figured into the remaining cap or if we have to keep space open for that? Not sure how that works.

They have been structuring contracts so the cap hit is relatively balanced. Most except Trevathan can be cut after 1yr without a massive dead money hit. Freeman has $2mil in dead money in 2017 but just $500k in 2018.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears

Trevathan 2016 = $6.3, 2017 = $3.3, 2018 = $7.1, 2019 = $7.6

Massie 2016 = $5.8, 2017 = $6.0, 2018 = $6.1

Freeman 2016 = $4.0, 2017 = $4.0, 2018 = $4.0 (by the way he's getting $4mil/yr not $3mil/yr as reported earlier)

Hicks 2016 = $4.5, 2017 = $5.5

Porter 2016 = $3.8, 2017 = $4.0, 2018 = $4.0 (can be cut after 1yr leaving $600k in dead money with $3.45mil in cap savings)

They have been structuring contracts so the capis hit is relatively balanced. Most except Trevathan can be cut after 1yr without a massive dead money hit. Freeman has $2mil in dead money in 2017 but just $500k in 2018.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears

Trevathan 2016 = $6.3, 2017 = $3.3, 2018 = $7.1, 2019 = $7.6

Massie 2016 = $5.8, 2017 = $6.0, 2018 = $6.1

Freeman 2016 = $4.0, 2017 = $4.0, 2018 = $4.0 (by the way he's getting $4mil/yr not $3mil/yr as reported earlier)

Hicks 2016 = $4.5, 2017 = $5.5

Porter 2016 = $3.8, 2017 = $4.0, 2018 = $4.0 (can be cut after 1yr leaving $600k in dead money with $3.45mil in cap savings)

On Zach Miller, he has $500000 bonus figured in if he plays all 16 games. But I think I figured it out, that amount is figured into our cap hit and comes back at the years end if they do not qualify. The Bears have put a lot of these bonuses into the recent contracts.

On Zach Miller, he has $500000 bonus figured in if he plays all 16 games. But I think I figured it out, that amount is figured into our cap hit and comes back at the years end if they do not qualify. The Bears have put a lot of these bonuses into the recent contracts.

Just asking doesn't the league mandate you spend up a certain % of the cap by a certain time of the year which is why you see contract extensions in Oct. and early Nov.?