Bears resign Deonte Thompson

DABEARSDABOMB

I liked Thompson and felt that he did some nice things in the passing game considering he was added to the roster so late in the year. With a full offseason to learn the offense I can see him challenging Mariani for a spot as KR/Slot WR.

I liked Thompson and felt that he did some nice things in the passing game considering he was added to the roster so late in the year. With a full offseason to learn the offense I can see him challenging Mariani for a spot as KR/Slot WR.

Challenging? In a short time Thompson looked WAY better than Mariani. AND we signed Bolden. Mariani has value as a key back-up as both a return man and as a slot receiver when Eddie Royal is inevitably hurt. I don't see him being a regular part of the return game.

Challenging? In a short time Thompson looked WAY better than Mariani. AND we signed Bolden. Mariani has value as a key back-up as both a return man and as a slot receiver when Eddie Royal is inevitably hurt. I don't see him being a regular part of the return game.

I don't think the Bears signed Bolden yet. He is supposed to visit next week is the last I heard.

No doubt he outperformed Mariani as a KR. I didn't see him outperform Mariani as a slot WR, plus there is the simple fact that Deonte can't catch punts. Last year Deonte admitted he wasn't too confident on punts.

Touchbacks have now been moved to the 25yd line. That makes life much tougher for a guy like Deonte to make a roster solely as a KR. If he wants a job he'll have to show up elsewhere as a slot WR or PR (not too likely if he can't catch the ball) and maybe as as special teams gunner. IMO there is no way Fox keeps him around just to return kicks.