Rumors

AZ54

Just scanning the web tonight catching on the rumor mill from the last week. Things I've seen of note from either Aaron Leming, Walterfootball, NFL.com, CBSSports, or just my own thoughts....

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL?ref_src=...7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

1) Aaron Leming says Bears have strong interest in Ezekiel Elliot and he might be the pick unless a top 5 player falls. I like Elliot a lot but RB is not my first preference at #11. I have to say the tandem of Elliot and Langford both with power, speed, and quickness, would make life tough for defenses especially with the Oline players we picked up in FA. Elliot is outstanding on blitz pickup so he's the ideal 3rd down back. An excellent running game is best way to keep Cutler from feeling the pressure to win games and force throws.

2) Crazy how many mocks have us taking Leonard Floyd. I don't see it in anything he's shown on film but apparently I'm in the minority on this one. Is this simply because Fox took Von Miller and people assume we'll reach to get an edge rusher in this draft? Or is the skinny kid who often gets pushed around at the LOS really something special waiting to happen?

3) I see a lot of mocks with either of the Clemson DEs taken in the top 10, mostly Shaq Lawson. FWIW Shaq Lawson just visited with Bears. I have far more interest in Lawson over Dodd (at any draft slot). I think he's an excellent edge player and, even if he's not quite the speed rusher we'd like to have, he offers more fast edge pressure than anyone we currently have on the roster while being excellent against the run. Like McPhee he might able to move inside a bit on passing downs. I'm warming up to the possibility we take him at 11 although it probably means goodbye to Willie Young.

4) Many mocks have us taking Hargreaves. While I don't think he's ideal because of his issues covering bigger WR downfield, he'll be an upgrade over anyone we have on the roster today. I'd be ok with him at 11.

5) Bears showing interest in Nick Vigil. A day 3 pick someone mentioned a while back. :) The odds we draft him are now exactly 0.

6) While we sit at the worst spot in terms of the likely talent drop off, I think we also sit at the best spot for trading back if a team wants Lynch. I really want to trade back to #15 with the Rams. How desperate are the Rams for a QB? I expect Wentz and Goff to both be gone by SF at #7. If Lynch is all that remains among the top QBs when the Eagles are on the clock, and they pass on him then what happens? Tampa and NY Giants won't take a QB but both have big needs and a shot at a day 1 starter so I think they'll be less likely to move back (or the price gets too high). Lynch has garnered some strong interest from teams like the Bills. The Jets are a possibility too (swap picks in the 1st and we take the Wilkerson problem off their hands?).

7) Tyler Higbee is an idiot.

1. I'll be sick if the Bears pick Elliiott at 11. It doesn't make sense. I've asked several friends who aren't Bears fans and they all think it's stupid. Because it is. The Bears need help several other places.

2. Leonard Floyd is an enigma for sure. He has the athleticism, but not the production you'd like. Kind of like Nkemdiche.

3. Shaq Lawson might be a reach at 11, but I do like him more than Dodd for sure. The problem with 11 is that most of the guys we really want are gone.

4. Hargreaves is not the ideal pick, you're right about him being a good pick. I think he'd be one of the better picks for the Bears because I expect it to be between him, Elliott, whichever QB falls, and various reaches.

5. Nick Vigil - 4th or 5th round? Sure.

6. Agreed! That's my dream scenario. I really want to trade back. I'm really hoping for draft picks more than players.

7. Higbee is a great 7th round pick at this point.

1. I'm at the point with Elliott where I would be OK with the pick, but I'm not so secretly hoping someone above us takes him because I think we have other needs and I want to see what Langford can do.

2. I think it's a lack of pure edge rush guys from the OLB spot that is pushing him up more than usual. Most of the "edge" guys seem like better fits at DE or are frankly more equally good defending the pass as the run as opposed to a guy who you can project as a 12 sack a year guy, so if there's a team high who there is a perception needs a pass-rusher, Floyd is the guy that it makes the most sense to project to that spot. I don't think I've seen any actual indication that the Bears like him or are interested in him, which probably means they love him . . .

3. Lawson seems like a better fit if we want a versatile guy who can play DE and OLB, but Dodd is bigger if we are looking for a straight-up 3-4 DE and I've heard some persuasive arguments on Dodd that make me like him a lot.

4. I'm on the Hargreaves bandwagon because despite his height, he's thicker than most 5'10" CBs so he can be more physical than them.

5. Seems like they've shown interest in Vigil since we signed Freeman/Travethan. We currently have a couple of former UDFAs backing up those guys in Timo and Anderson, and while they did OK when they were in there, if we like Vigil more and he's there in the later rounds, why not? Freeman's only on a three year deal and he's turning 30, so if he starts to decline, we might need someone to step in sooner than we'd like.

6. I like trading back as well, but there's a lot of talk about how valuable 2nd and 3rd round picks are this year because you might like a guy in the early 2nd just as much as someone you could get in the late 3rd (see Peter King's MMQB column yesterday), so teams might be reluctant to part with those picks.

7. Pretty much.

1. I'll be sick if the Bears pick Elliiott at 11. It doesn't make sense. I've asked several friends who aren't Bears fans and they all think it's stupid. Because it is. The Bears need help several other places.

2. Leonard Floyd is an enigma for sure. He has the athleticism, but not the production you'd like. Kind of like Nkemdiche.

3. Shaq Lawson might be a reach at 11, but I do like him more than Dodd for sure. The problem with 11 is that most of the guys we really want are gone.

4. Hargreaves is not the ideal pick, you're right about him being a good pick. I think he'd be one of the better picks for the Bears because I expect it to be between him, Elliott, whichever QB falls, and various reaches.

6. Agreed! That's my dream scenario. I really want to trade back. I'm really hoping for draft picks more than players.

I Agree with you on the Bears have bigger needs elsewhere. But I would like to play Devils Advocate on it being stupid:

1. Matt Forte has been one of the most important positional players for the last 8 years on offense. Wouldn't it be smart to invest in that postion?

2. The Bears have historically been a run first offense with a long list of great RB's, they want to get back to being "THE BEARS" investing in the Next great RB would not be stupid.

3. Pace believes in BPA.... If Pace believes EZ is the BEST still on the Board its not like we have Levon Bell starting in front of him

4. Elliott's college coach is now on the Bears staff, they probably have the best scouting report on this kid out of all the kids. You have to hit home runs in the 1st round, if they know he is, it's a safe pick

5. Langford showed some flashes last year but if he goes down how does our RB depth look???

6. I think EZ is going to be a GAME CHANGER, just watch the NC game against Bama. Watch what he does to that NFL filled Defense.

The Bears have to add as much TOP end talent as they can. If that means drafting EZ because the best Oline and defensive studs are gone then Im all for it. I would rather they take him before taking a reach on some guy that fits a need better. Go for the best talent as long as you dont have a Kyle Long type player in that position. rounds 2 and 3 you can address needs.

If we think Elliott can be a perennial pro-bowl running back for 8 years, how could that be a bad pick? I see why sites have the Bear's taking him. There's 9 players who are in everyone's top 10. Tunsil, Buckner, Wenz, Goff, Jack, Bosa, Ramsey, Elliott, and Stanley. After that it's a blur in terms of determining who the 10th best player is. After that, there's a dozen guys relatively equal where we could draft for position need. We could take Floyd, Lawson, Conklin, Rankins . . . I don't know if one is particularly better than another. So if we can' trade back and Elliott is the best player available, I'm good with taking him.

Well I personally hope if he is on the board, they take him. Passing on a player due to need is how most g.m.s get fired after two years. Think about it, by you logic the vikings in 06 had a 1200yd rb in chester Taylor but look who they took... its all about taking BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE and if Zeke is on the board, that's him!

I would love Elliott. I think he will be a better pro back than college. Great base, size and strength combo. Superb pass blocker to go along with great running skills. I'm all in for the Langford who party?

Not to mention he gets stronger later in the game when everyone else is tired.. he's the best rb to come out of college since a.p. or maybe even ladanian Tomlinson who he reminds me of...

Well I personally hope if he is on the board, they take him. Passing on a player due to need is how most g.m.s get fired after two years. Think about it, by you logic the vikings in 06 had a 1200yd rb in chester Taylor but look who they took... its all about taking BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE and if Zeke is on the board, that's him!

I would love Elliott. I think he will be a better pro back than college. Great base, size and strength combo. Superb pass blocker to go along with great running skills. I'm all in for the Langford who party?

Agreed. The kid will be a game changer. Exactly what the Bears need.

The way most mocks think things will play out, I wouldn't mind Zeke if they can't trade down.

Right now I think it's possible they think they've filled all their holes and can legit go BPA.

The holes that get talked about.

1. OLB- This one I don't even see with Mcphee, Houston, and Young combining for one of the better OLB "combos" in the league

2. CB- Not sure what they think of Porter but he wasn't BAD and I could see him start again with Fuller/Callahan.

3. OT- I wouldn't be surprised if they think Leno could get better and stick.

4. S- IMO Rolle could end up being the starter opposite Amos and I wouldn't be mad about it.

The way most mocks think things will play out, I wouldn't mind Zeke if they can't trade down.

Right now I think it's possible they think they've filled all their holes and can legit go BPA.

The holes that get talked about.

1. OLB- This one I don't even see with Mcphee, Houston, and Young combining for one of the better OLB "combos" in the league

2. CB- Not sure what they think of Porter but he wasn't BAD and I could see him start again with Fuller/Callahan.

3. OT- I wouldn't be surprised if they think Leno could get better and stick.

4. S- IMO Rolle could end up being the starter opposite Amos and I wouldn't be mad about it.

I think you are right on 4 points. Last year there were blaring needs.... Not as bad this year. Sure the need to upgrade the total talent of the roster is there still but I think they can go BPA other then WR and be fine.

I think you are right on 4 points. Last year there were blaring needs.... Not as bad this year. Sure the need to upgrade the total talent of the roster is there still but I think they can go BPA other then WR and be fine.

They never have enough pass rushers, so dont be surprised if Lawson is our first pick. They can move McPhee up on the line and have in on passing downs

They never have enough pass rushers, so dont be surprised if Lawson is our first pick. They can move McPhee up on the line and have in on passing downs

Not in love with Lawson at 11. If they trade down then yes, I feel he is similar to McPhee just not as good at rushing the passer. Not saying he won't become a better.

If it was between EZ or Lawson at 11 I would go EZ. I feel EZ will be a bigger game changer sooner.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sha...wson?id=2555252

I Agree with you on the Bears have bigger needs elsewhere. But I would like to play Devils Advocate on it being stupid:

1. Matt Forte has been one of the most important positional players for the last 8 years on offense. Wouldn't it be smart to invest in that postion?

2. The Bears have historically been a run first offense with a long list of great RB's, they want to get back to being "THE BEARS" investing in the Next great RB would not be stupid.

3. Pace believes in BPA.... If Pace believes EZ is the BEST still on the Board its not like we have Levon Bell starting in front of him

4. Elliott's college coach is now on the Bears staff, they probably have the best scouting report on this kid out of all the kids. You have to hit home runs in the 1st round, if they know he is, it's a safe pick

5. Langford showed some flashes last year but if he goes down how does our RB depth look???

6. I think EZ is going to be a GAME CHANGER, just watch the NC game against Bama. Watch what he does to that NFL filled Defense.

The Bears have to add as much TOP end talent as they can. If that means drafting EZ because the best Oline and defensive studs are gone then Im all for it. I would rather they take him before taking a reach on some guy that fits a need better. Go for the best talent as long as you dont have a Kyle Long type player in that position. rounds 2 and 3 you can address needs.

1. They did invest. His name is Langford and his backup is Carey. Neither has received sufficient carries to know if they can carry Forte's missing load.

2. See point one. That next great guy may be on the roster.

3. Pace doesn't believe in pure BPA. No GM does. Well, except for Matt Millen and his three straight WRs in the first, which pretty much sealed his fate.

4. Sure, I'll grant this one. The Bears have a good read on him for sure.

5. The same could be said about any other position basically. Carey is a potentially better backup than other positions.

6. He may be, but he won't be if the Bears draft him because he'll split carries with Langford, get stuffed on the left side, and won't get carries in the 4th because the Bears will have to pass since they'll perpetually be trailing if they don't address the rest of the defense.

1. They did invest. His name is Langford and his backup is Carey. Neither has received sufficient carries to know if they can carry Forte's missing load.

3. Pace doesn't believe in pure BPA. No GM does. Well, except for Matt Millen and his three straight WRs in the first, which pretty much sealed his fate.

5. The same could be said about any other position basically. Carey is a potentially better backup than other positions.

6. He may be, but he won't be if the Bears draft him because he'll split carries with Langford, get stuffed on the left side, and won't get carries in the 4th because the Bears will have to pass since they'll perpetually be trailing if they don't address the rest of the defense.

To be fair, drafting Stanley, who I like, probably won't help the left side run game that much.

To be fair, drafting Stanley, who I like, probably won't help the left side run game that much.

You're right - he's not a traditional mauler, but he's still a good run blocker. Better than Leno, easily. And three more reps on bench.

Besides, at LT I'd rather have elite pass-protection and good run blocking. Make no mistake, there is a reason he's probably going to go in the top ten. We can nitpick all we want, but he's better skilled than Leno at pretty much everything.

You're right - he's not a traditional mauler, but he's still a good run blocker. Better than Leno, easily. And three more reps on bench.

Besides, at LT I'd rather have elite pass-protection and good run blocking. Make no mistake, there is a reason he's probably going to go in the top ten. We can nitpick all we want, but he's better skilled than Leno at pretty much everything.

I was basing drafting EZ off the fact that both top LT's were already off the board and the the top tier Defensive guys. I would rather have Myles Jack or Stanley before EZ but I dont think they will be around. I actually could see EZ being drafted before the Bears too.

They invested two 4th round picks in one of the most important positions on the field if we are going to get back to running the ball which Fox loves so much.

2. See point one. That next great guy may be on the roster. MAY, might be...... Clearly Fox and Pace went strong after CJ Anderson with the most money.....Whats that tell you???

3. Pace doesn't believe in pure BPA. No GM does. Well, except for Matt Millen and his three straight WRs in the first, which pretty much sealed his fate. Im not saying he believes in pure BPA, but our RB situation is far from being locked down so BPA would work. Pace literally said it, for sustained success you have to get to a point of drafting BPA. We are talking about this situation, all the top OL and D players are off the board..... if Pace sees EZ as the BPA I think he will draft him. We are not set with a Pro Bowl RB. I dont understand why you think it would be stupid.

5. The same could be said about any other position basically. Carey is a potentially better backup than other positions. It cant be said for any other position because the RB has been one of the most important positions for the Bears. We have been spoiled with Forte, the guy was great for the last 8 years. We never had to worry about the RB position. Right now we have two 4th round picks that have shown some flashes, nothing else. The Bears went after a FA RB. The writings on the all.

6. He may be, but he won't be if the Bears draft him because he'll split carries with Langford, get stuffed on the left side, and won't get carries in the 4th because the Bears will have to pass since they'll perpetually be trailing if they don't address the rest of the defense. If you want to look at for just one season I guess you may be right but drafting EZ is about LONG TERM SUCCESS.

They invested two 4th round picks in one of the most important positions on the field if we are going to get back to running the ball which Fox loves so much.

2. See point one. That next great guy may be on the roster. MAY, might be...... Clearly Fox and Pace went strong after CJ Anderson with the most money.....Whats that tell you???

3. Pace doesn't believe in pure BPA. No GM does. Well, except for Matt Millen and his three straight WRs in the first, which pretty much sealed his fate. Im not saying he believes in pure BPA, but our RB situation is far from being locked down so BPA would work. Pace literally said it, for sustained success you have to get to a point of drafting BPA. We are talking about this situation, all the top OL and D players are off the board..... if Pace sees EZ as the BPA I think he will draft him. We are not set with a Pro Bowl RB. I dont understand why you think it would be stupid.

5. The same could be said about any other position basically. Carey is a potentially better backup than other positions. It cant be said for any other position because the RB has been one of the most important positions for the Bears. We have been spoiled with Forte, the guy was great for the last 8 years. We never had to worry about the RB position. Right now we have two 4th round picks that have shown some flashes, nothing else. The Bears went after a FA RB. The writings on the all.

6. He may be, but he won't be if the Bears draft him because he'll split carries with Langford, get stuffed on the left side, and won't get carries in the 4th because the Bears will have to pass since they'll perpetually be trailing if they don't address the rest of the defense. If you want to look at for just one season I guess you may be right but drafting EZ is about LONG TERM SUCCESS.

1. The RB position has been severely devalued in the NFL. I'd argue it's really not one of the most important.

2. It tells me the coaches don't agree with me, and want to get another RB. I think it's a bad idea.

3. OK, we are understood on BPA vs pure BPA. I think it's stupid because the BPA we're talking about must consider the comparable replacement at another position. So, given number 2, the fact that Langford appears to be pretty damn good, the fact that there are not great players at a few other positions (CB, OLB, LT, SS), and the fact the league is crazy pass-happy, and I'm saying it doesn't make sense to get a RB when there are comparably skilled players at positions of greater need.

5. You're moving the goal-posts somewhat. The Bears do, in fact, have a better set up at RB than multiple other positions. They have a better starter in Langford and a better backup in Carey than several other positions. The FO doesn't agree, apparently.

6. Long term success? With a RB? What's the shelf-life of a RB? 2.57 years according to this. Long term success is built elsewhere.

With your first round pick, you should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS go pure BPA!!! You bring up millen because millen was a dumbass and went wr each time... if BPA is a position that doesn't need adding then you try to swing a trade... its common sense! Many people will say oh its a lot harder than you think and not just anyone could do it then why the hell does it seem like every player that I have wanted the bears to draft for almost ten years turn out to be studs..? This isn't rocket science its football! See most GMs over think it and then they have to overpay for top talent in f.a. don't over think it... at 11 if Zeke is still there you take him because he is BPA don't believe me... watch just about any buckeye game I won't even narrow it to the playoffs two years ago... he is the best rb. to come out of the draft in a LONG time he will be a game changer... if Dallas takes him he will go to many many pro bowls!

1. The RB position has been severely devalued in the NFL. I'd argue it's really not one of the most important.

2. It tells me the coaches don't agree with me, and want to get another RB. I think it's a bad idea.

3. OK, we are understood on BPA vs pure BPA. I think it's stupid because the BPA we're talking about must consider the comparable replacement at another position. So, given number 2, the fact that Langford appears to be pretty damn good, the fact that there are not great players at a few other positions (CB, OLB, LT, SS), and the fact the league is crazy pass-happy, and I'm saying it doesn't make sense to get a RB when there are comparably skilled players at positions of greater need.

5. You're moving the goal-posts somewhat. The Bears do, in fact, have a better set up at RB than multiple other positions. They have a better starter in Langford and a better backup in Carey than several other positions. The FO doesn't agree, apparently.

6. Long term success? With a RB? What's the shelf-life of a RB? 2.57 years according to this. Long term success is built elsewhere.

1. Absolutely agree the RB has been devalued in the NFL but Fox likes to run the ball, Im hoping the goal is to get back to that brand of football Chicago Bear Football. Using a RB like Forte in the passing game also brings a lot of value as well. EZ can do it all.

6. Ill use AP as my comparison because some have compared EZ to him. He has lasted how long? At 31 he is still a dominate player. As long as we are talking about players per positions and length of career....How did Williams and Carmi work out for us??? Anything can happen to any player at any position. Im all for building the Lines up, but if all the top tier talent at those positions are gone and EZ is the best rated player I dont see anything wrong with drafting him.

Im with you on drafting other area's first. Im just saying I would be happy with EZ if all the other guys are already off the board and he is the BPA.

1. Absolutely agree the RB has been devalued in the NFL but Fox likes to run the ball, Im hoping the goal is to get back to that brand of football Chicago Bear Football. Using a RB like Forte in the passing game also brings a lot of value as well. EZ can do it all.

6. Ill use AP as my comparison because some have compared EZ to him. He has lasted how long? At 31 he is still a dominate player. As long as we are talking about players per positions and length of career....How did Williams and Carmi work out for us??? Anything can happen to any player at any position. Im all for building the Lines up, but if all the top tier talent at those positions are gone and EZ is the best rated player I dont see anything wrong with drafting him.

Im with you on drafting other area's first. Im just saying I would be happy with EZ if all the other guys are already off the board and he is the BPA.

I know a lot of people are comparing him to adrian peterson, and as far as sheer power and speed are concerned I would agree but I think his running style and his catching the ball out of the backfield I think he is more comparable to ladanian tomlinson...

The key to your statement is that anything can happen. As such, the odds of finding a player dominant in his 10th year or so is slim. It's even slimmer when it's a RB. RB's take way more damage than average players at other positions. AP is the anomaly, not the average - that dude has a six-pack visible through a sweater. Matt Forte is a better example, even if unfair (because we already know Forte has produced in the NFL). He ripped the league a new a-hole on Bears teams good and bad for 8 years, then was forced to split carries last year despite playing better than the others, and he was unceremoniously dumped despite having clearly tread on the tires. Why? Because of the fears that he regresses towards the mean of RBs who struggle or nosedive at or around 30. And virtually nobody had a problem with it, including most on this board, because the RB position has a limited life-span.

Pretty much everyone thinks Tunsil, Wentz, and Ramsey are gone. There is a good chance Bosa and Goff are also gone.

That leaves five players before the Bears. In no specific order:

-Shaq Lawson

-Myles Jack

-Vernon Hargreaves III

-DeForest Buckner

-Ronnie Stanley

If those 5 guys are also gone, then I hope they trade down. If that doesn't happen, I hope they pick A'Shawn Robinson, Mackensie Alexander, or Jack Conklin.

The key to your statement is that anything can happen. As such, the odds of finding a player dominant in his 10th year or so is slim. It's even slimmer when it's a RB. RB's take way more damage than average players at other positions. AP is the anomaly, not the average - that dude has a six-pack visible through a sweater. Matt Forte is a better example, even if unfair (because we already know Forte has produced in the NFL). He ripped the league a new a-hole on Bears teams good and bad for 8 years, then was forced to split carries last year despite playing better than the others, and he was unceremoniously dumped despite having clearly tread on the tires. Why? Because of the fears that he regresses towards the mean of RBs who struggle or nosedive at or around 30. And virtually nobody had a problem with it, including most on this board, because the RB position has a limited life-span.

Pretty much everyone thinks Tunsil, Wentz, and Ramsey are gone. There is a good chance Bosa and Goff are also gone.

That leaves five players before the Bears. In no specific order:

-Shaq Lawson

-Myles Jack

-Vernon Hargreaves III

-DeForest Buckner

-Ronnie Stanley

If those 5 guys are also gone, then I hope they trade down. If that doesn't happen, I hope they pick A'Shawn Robinson, Mackensie Alexander, or Jack Conklin.

AP and the six pack = take a look at this kid! lol

Forte gave us 8 great years. You don't consider that long term production and success at the RB position?

ez6pack.jpg

I know a lot of people are comparing him to adrian peterson, and as far as sheer power and speed are concerned I would agree but I think his running style and his catching the ball out of the backfield I think he is more comparable to ladanian tomlinson...

I think both are great comparisons. That's why I think this kid is going to be special.

AP

6'1

40 yard = 4.41

20 yard = 2.60

L Tomlinson

5'10

40 YARD = 4.46

20 yard = 2.59

Ez Elliott

6'0

40 yard = 4.47

20 yard = 2.62

Size and speed are both about the same compared to both of these HALL OF FAME RB'S.