Assessing the Bears Needs

AZ54

Bears Roster Needs  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Heading into the draft what is our biggest need?

• S
    • CB
    • ILB
    • Edge rusher
    • DT
    • OT
    • OG
    • QB
    • RB
    • WR
  2. 2. What is our 2nd biggest need?

• S
    • CB
    • ILB
    • Edge Rusher
    • DT
    • OT
    • OG
    • QB
    • RB
    • WR
  3. 3. What is our 3rd biggest need?

• S
    • CB
    • ILB
    • Edge Rusher
    • DT
    • OT
    • OG
    • QB
    • RB
    • WR

With all the discussion lately around BPA vs. needs I'm curious to see what everyone views our top needs are heading into the draft. I tried to include all positions so this can be as objective as possible. In other words ILB is still listed even though we just spent $10mil to fix it.

Even though I listed top 3 needs, if we get enough people to vote then from a statistics view point we should we will be able to identify and rank our top 5 needs. To do that I'll give every 1st place vote 10 points, every 2nd place vote 5 points, and every 3rd place 3 points.

With all the discussion lately around BPA vs. needs I'm curious to see what everyone views our top needs are heading into the draft. I tried to include all positions so this can be as objective as possible. In other words ILB is still listed even though we just spent $10mil to fix it.

Even though I listed top 3 needs, if we get enough people to vote then from a statistics view point we should we will be able to identify and rank our top 5 needs. To do that I'll give every 1st place vote 10 points, every 2nd place vote 5 points, and every 3rd place 3 points.

I am not going by strength of draft, but by our depth.

Were screwed if Rolle is bad, so i think we could use a starter there.

We have Ferguson who could be a starter, but no depth on the d-line

Obviously health affects every position, but right now we would be ok at cb, but in a passing league you cant have enough cbs

I am not going by strength of draft, but by our depth.

Were screwed if Rolle is bad, so i think we could use a starter there.

We have Ferguson who could be a starter, but no depth on the d-line

Obviously health affects every position, but right now we would be ok at cb, but in a passing league you cant have enough cbs

SS - I'm not sure about us being screwed if Rolle goes down. We don't even know what he is capable of anymore. He might go out on the field and just show his age this year. I don't think he was great when he played last year; he was average.

DL - Ego, Unrein, Sutton, Hicks. While he isn't the best, Unrein was decent last year.

I feel we are way worse in terms of depth at LT. Leno is average at best, and if he goes down it puts an absolute scrub in at LT, or rearranges the entire line into chaos with Massie going to LT, Long going to RT, and Ramirez (?) going to RG. Horrible scenario either way.

SS - I'm not sure about us being screwed if Rolle goes down. We don't even know what he is capable of anymore. He might go out on the field and just show his age this year. I don't think he was great when he played last year; he was average. DL - Ego, Unrein, Sutton, Hicks. While he isn't the best, Unrein was decent last year. I feel we are way worse in terms of depth at LT. Leno is average at best, and if he goes down it puts an absolute scrub in at LT, or rearranges the entire line into chaos with Massie going to LT, Long going to RT, and Ramirez (?) going to RG. Horrible scenario either way.

If you look at it at that way, then QB is were they are screwed the most at if Cutler goes down.

I went OT, S, CB. I didn't go edge rusher because I think we're OK with McPhee + Houston/Young. I didn't go DT because I'm kind of bullish on a healthy Ego Ferguson at DE and think our depth there is OK with Sutton and Unrein.

OT is #1 because we have a so-so starter at LT in Leno and absolutely no depth at the position whatsoever.

S is #2 because while we have a so-so starter in Rolle, I'm not sure there is much of drop off between him and Jones-Quartay if he were to falter/get injured, but I think a second or third round safety would represent a big upgrade over either of those guys.

CB is #3 because I'm not sure I trust any of our current starters.

I went OT-DT-CB.

I look at as there are no true holes but there are upgrades to be made at OT, DT, CB, S, and a few backup positions. When you look at those positions you have.

S- Antrell Rolle- Before going down to an injury he was actually very solid. I think he's gonna be one of those guys who play into their mid 30's

CB- Tracy Porter- I'm torn on him. I think he's serviceable, but also should be upgraded over Rolle.

DT- The biggest question mark to me. Probably not the biggest hole but it's a position that I have no idea what to think about. Are Sutton and Ego even fits in a 3-4? Is Unrein starting quality or is he merely a rotational guy? What is Washington? I say forget the question marks and let's build a dominate front 3.

OT- Charles Leno- I was the biggest supporter of just grabbing an OT in the mid rounds to compete with Leno but after all they did this offseason, that pushed OT higher up by eliminating needs in front of it.

I went Edge rusher, CB, S.

I think they are big needs. While I'd love more OL or a DT...I feel we are pretty solid there with good and young players.

i went in this order:

OLT - this is the key to your offense. if you can't protect your qb's blindside (assuming he is not a lefty) it puts the entire season at high risk of failure. the OLT spot is one of the hardest to fill with a quality all-pro player. you usually have to draft these high in the first round to find one with that potential and it may be some time before we are able to draft this high again for a while.

if you do not have the chance to draft the LT in your slot or move up to get the player you believe fills that need then you go another route. you don't draft a potential RT or G at this slot but hope you can pick up a diamond in the rough in the 2nd or 3rd who needs to be groomed for your future only IF you have quality coaching that can bring this to bear.

CB - a pass rushing defensive end monster and a cover/shutdown cornerback have near the same value which is the highest value on defense. the shutdown corner cuts the field of play in half and at worst gives your defensive line that extra second to reach or disrupt the qb.

again, like the above action, if the value is there at #11 or you have to trade up to get a player you project will fit this scenario this is what you do. otherwise go another route and try for that gem in a lower round that has potential to become that with good coaching if he has the physical and mental abilities to succeed in time.

QB - although this is my 3rd choice it is the position of the greatest value in professional football. as it stands right now we are in a very good position with cutler to give us not only a chance to win it all but to draft a qb that can be groomed to excel in our future which is paramount. we don't have to throw this prospect into the fire if we choose not to.

it looks like the top 2 qb's will be long gone before they reach us at #11 and trading up that far to get one of them is probably way to costly. that leaves lynch. if he is available at #11 and this staff believe he could be a franchise player in the future then the decision is between lynch and a top left tackle if he is available.

the dividends might not pay off for a year or two but it is the smart choice looking down the road to our future. we probably will not be picking this high again for some time. it gives us the freedom to groom this guy over a period of years to slot into this position when cutler is done (i look at cuter lasting 2-3 years more tops). if lynch doesn't look like the future high quality starter then you move to the lower rounds for this prospect and still have the ability to bring him along slowly.

it also gives us the advantage of having two qb's that can start, in time, on most NFL clubs. that means real value in trade scenario's where you can pull high draft picks from those other franchises if the need or desire is there.

this is paramount if you draft a qb at this position: as a base, he must have the physical tools to succeed including optimum size. to go hand in hand with the physical side he MUST be mentally suited for the QB position. he has to have the ability to quickly understand what the defenses are giving him in a three dimensional window and make the correct decisions as to where the ball will go. this coincides with the ability to accurately throw the football with consistency.

all of this is subject to whether the coaching staff you have is good enough to create the opportunity of grooming a qb to play in the NFL at a high level.

I rated edge pass rusher first, but the more I think of a good QB in the draft the more I like it. Not that I am not happy with Cutler right now, as I think he can do well for us for awhile, but after a year or three he will likely need replacing and if we have a high draft pick young prospect sitting behind him learning, that would be great!

I went Edge rusher, CB, S.

I think they are big needs. While I'd love more OL or a DT...I feel we are pretty solid there with good and young players.

Pretty much agree here. Given the more pass happy offenses nowadays and how effective Von Miller was last year I'd have to say that an edge rusher is near the top if not top need. Then a close tie with RB since Fox is going to want to revert back to a staple of his, and Bears historically, by running the ball more. We don't know whether Langford can carry the load if the carries are significant. As far as needing a LT; possibly a necessity but don't agree doing it through the draft. Wait until after the draft (or at least later rounds) and see what comes out from teams dumping players after the draft. Call it the second FA season. Is much rather see them get a proven veteran of at all possible.

Beyond that I'd obviously like for them to find an actual franchise QB but will be ok if they find another to try in rounds 3 or later.

Everything is just so fluid. So much depends on what transpires before we pick.

Given the trust I have in the current GM and HC, I honestly won't disparage any of the 5 round picks immediately. (Maybe except punter or kicker!)

We literally could use a young warm body in every slot. Some more than others... I just see the D as the go to spot for this year's draft. Get a stud edge rusher and everyone's job behind him is easier. Then, shore up the youth movement in the secondary. But, by all means, if a well graded OL is there...or RB, or QB...whatever the slot...go for it.

I bummed I will miss day one...but I'll follow on my iphone. I'm going to see Iggy Pop with Josh Homme and a number of back-up bandmates from Queens of the Stone Age at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles. So, if I'm going to miss a day one draft show...it's a good excuse!

Pretty much agree here. Given the more pass happy offenses nowadays and how effective Von Miller was last year I'd have to say that an edge rusher is near the top if not top need. Then a close tie with RB since Fox is going to want to revert back to a staple of his, and Bears historically, by running the ball more. We don't know whether Langford can carry the load if the carries are significant. As far as needing a LT; possibly a necessity but don't agree doing it through the draft. Wait until after the draft (or at least later rounds) and see what comes out from teams dumping players after the draft. Call it the second FA season. Is much rather see them get a proven veteran of at all possible.

Beyond that I'd obviously like for them to find an actual franchise QB but will be ok if they find another to try in rounds 3 or later.

I went corner back, defensive tackle and safety.

Can Porter play a couple of years if not we have one decent corner which is Fuller who seriously needs to improve. I suppose you could consider Callahan but if we took the best corner then we wouldn't have to throw McMannis at nickel.

If we take DT which is the strength of the draft in the second we could have a player that could either play a 3 technique in a 4 man front or play 5 technique in a 3 man front. Possibly Vernon Butler but I wouldn't be opposed to trading back into the first say for Denver's pick and giving them our 4th And 5th.

In the 3rd the safety I like is Jayron Kearse who I think played last season trying to conserve his body and be healthy for the draft which I don't blame him considering if he had a career threatening injury he could miss out on life changing money. I like his size and speed and alongside Amos he could be special. His size and speed could match up well with tight ends.

Results are in: 19 people voted.

Points were awarded: 10 points for each 1st place need vote; 5 points for each 2nd place vote, 3 points for each 3rd place vote.

TalkBears Draft Needs are:

1) Edge Rusher with 78 points

2) Safety with 65 points

3) CB with 62 points

4) DT with 60 points

5) OT with 56 points

6) QB with just 6 points

7) RB with just 5 points

No votes were placed for: ILB, OG, or WR

You usually learn something when you put the data together and this time is no different.

1) Clearly finding someone to get pressure off the edge is the top priority here on this board. I'm a bit surprised by that since I felt we were effective enough with McPhee (when healthy), Houston (when healthy late in the season), and Young but I admit we are missing a speed element in this mix.

2) The tight distribution in points from Safety through OT points to a couple things. First, this is a rebuilding effort that has a ways to go. Second, the varied priorities among everyone here on what should be fixed first. If one more person voted that order from 2-5 could be completely reversed.

I'd say the second point is why we should stay with BPA. Too many needs to bypass a better player. We're just not going to be able to address all these needs effectively in one draft. I say effectively because you can draft players at need positions in the 5th, 6th, and 7th Rd but it's wishful thinking to expect them to contribute in year one, if ever. Not to say it can't happen because Amos proved that last year but expecting it to happen is different. Or put another way, relying on those late draft picks to contribute doesn't usually end well.

Next is how we match up with our front office and coaching staff. Clearly none of us view RB as a need but I think all of us expect the Bears to draft a RB prior to the 6th Rd. Same goes with QB.

If you look at it at that way, then QB is were they are screwed the most at if Cutler goes down.

That is true, but does that mean we should reach at the QB position no matter what round you choose in?

No in the first or second but no problem after the third round.

Points were awarded: 10 points for each 1st place need vote; 5 points for each 2nd place vote, 3 points for each 3rd place vote.

2) Safety with 65 points

3) CB with 62 points

4) DT with 60 points

5) OT with 56 points

6) QB with just 6 points

7) RB with just 5 points

You usually learn something when you put the data together and this time is no different.

1) Clearly finding someone to get pressure off the edge is the top priority here on this board. I'm a bit surprised by that since I felt we were effective enough with McPhee (when healthy), Houston (when healthy late in the season), and Young but I admit we are missing a speed element in this mix.

2) The tight distribution in points from Safety through OT points to a couple things. First, this is a rebuilding effort that has a ways to go. Second, the varied priorities among everyone here on what should be fixed first. If one more person voted that order from 2-5 could be completely reversed.

I'd say the second point is why we should stay with BPA. Too many needs to bypass a better player. We're just not going to be able to address all these needs effectively in one draft. I say effectively because you can draft players at need positions in the 5th, 6th, and 7th Rd but it's wishful thinking to expect them to contribute in year one, if ever. Not to say it can't happen because Amos proved that last year but expecting it to happen is different. Or put another way, relying on those late draft picks to contribute doesn't usually end well.

Next is how we match up with our front office and coaching staff. Clearly none of us view RB as a need but I think all of us expect the Bears to draft a RB prior to the 6th Rd. Same goes with QB.

You never can have enough pass rushers, but with McPhee, Young, Houston, and Ocho, I think we can get by for a season with out taking one in the first round. There are several after the third round that could play special teams and have some upside.

In the first round, I only think Lawson has the potential to be worthy of that pick.

I dont think Floyd and Spence are worthy of the 11th pick.

I think people like Correa, Fackwell,Ngakoue,Ochi, and Holmes are good choices and valves at later rounds. Correa in the second along with Floyd and Spence(who wont make it that far). The rest of that list at appropriate round valves.

I personally like Ochi, or Holmes in as early as the 4th round with high upside.

Interesting.

FYI - I just noticed TE wasn't an option...

2) Safety with 65 points

3) CB with 62 points

4) DT with 60 points

5) OT with 56 points

6) QB with just 6 points

7) RB with just 5 points

The problem with including QB into that line of thought is that there is a VERY finite number of NFL capable QBs. Those guys don't grow on trees. Just about every team in the NFL is sitting on a dangerous powder-keg of QB depth. Their guy goes down, and the season is over. That's not the same for other positions.

2) Safety with 65 points

3) CB with 62 points

4) DT with 60 points

5) OT with 56 points

6) QB with just 6 points

7) RB with just 5 points

Did you add that up right? I know I was the QB as the biggest need, which would have put that floor at 10 and it is 6.

I went QB with the 1st need a couple of days ago, because of the value of the position, the need going into the future, and time it takes to find one. It's important to me to find one before the team gets back into the "Maybe Kordell Stewart can be good" phase ends up happening.

Safety was second for me and CB third because I think both positions are currently below average talent and depthwise, and each account for 2 positions of need imo.

My calculations show the following:

1. Edge 88

2. S & CB 65

4. OT 61

5. DT 60

6. QB 16

7. RB 5

Did you add that up right? I know I was the QB as the biggest need, which would have put that floor at 10 and it is 6.

I went QB with the 1st need a couple of days ago, because of the value of the position, the need going into the future, and time it takes to find one. It's important to me to find one before the team gets back into the "Maybe Kordell Stewart can be good" phase ends up happening.

Safety was second for me and CB third because I think both positions are currently below average talent and depthwise, and each account for 2 positions of need imo.

The problem with including QB into that line of thought is that there is a VERY finite number of NFL capable QBs. Those guys don't grow on trees. Just about every team in the NFL is sitting on a dangerous powder-keg of QB depth. Their guy goes down, and the season is over. That's not the same for other positions.

Yeah, I get it. I was being a smart a$$ :unsure: . I think QB would be a waste RD1, RD4 and Prescott would be great.

RD1 Buckner DT - Stanley OT- Conklin OT

RD2 Spriggs OT - C Jones DT - V Butler DT

RD3 Safety: Sean Davis, Jeremy Cash, Miles Killebrew, Darian Thompson etc.

My calculations show the following:

1. Edge 88

2. S & CB 65

4. OT 61

5. DT 60

6. QB 16

7. RB 5

There are now 20 votes vs. the 19 when I ran the numbers. As I said that can swing things quite a bit especially between #2-5. If I can get back to my other computer I'll try to verify the spreadsheet I used but we have some friends in town and unfortunately I have to head to Las Vegas for a couple days.

No clue how I missed putting TE in there. :stick

Don't look at Vegas as unfortunate! (...at least before the gamblin' losses rack up!)

Good luck!

There are now 20 votes vs. the 19 when I ran the numbers. As I said that can swing things quite a bit especially between #2-5. If I can get back to my other computer I'll try to verify the spreadsheet I used but we have some friends in town and unfortunately I have to head to Las Vegas for a couple days.

No clue how I missed putting TE in there. :stick