Have we signed any of our picks yet?

madlithuanian

This got me thinking about slotting rookie money. Did it really help out the way the players association wanted?

The money saved from paying rookies a set amount based when they have picked, hasn't really lead to retention of older players and the upping of salary for veterans. Instead, the inflated contracts just moved from rookies, to second contract players getting overpaid. Players that still got nice checks before, but not the inflated numbers that they get now.

Can anybody remind me what happened to Cliff Stein? I don't believe he's in charge of contracts anymore. He was always the best.

Edit:

Nvm I found this article that explains it:

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Highly regarded Chicago Bears lead contract negotiator Cliff Stein is assuming a slightly different role.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com on Wednesday the club is in the process of hiring a new front office employee from outside the organization to negotiate the majority of player contracts.

The Chicago Sun Times reported Wednesday evening the Bears are expected to hire former New Orleans Saints Salary Cap Analyst Joey Laine, who has ties to Bears general manager Ryan Pace.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post...general-counsel

That's a load of shit. Dumb move by Pace to bring in a friend over a man who's widely regarded as the best contract negotiater in the business.

Seems unfortunate...

I always thought Stein was the only shining star in the management area.

Well, hopefully the new guy can to a good job.

Can anybody remind me what happened to Cliff Stein? I don't believe he's in charge of contracts anymore. He was always the best.

Edit:

That's a load of shit. Dumb move by Pace to bring in a friend over a man who's widely regarded as the best contract negotiater in the business.

I think the delay probably has more to do with the fact that our rookie mini-camp is next weekend than anything else. I think rookies tend to sign when they are in town for the mini-camp and have in the past held our mini-camp the weekend after the draft.

Edit:

I never know this happened but Stein was the man at this and the Bears never had cap issues. The Saints have been in cap hell for forever.

I never know this happened but Stein was the man at this and the Bears never had cap issues. The Saints have been in cap hell for forever.

Why do you assume the guy negotiating the contracts was responsible for the Saint's cap issues and not the guy making the final decisions on how those contracts should be structured: Micky Loomis? Everyone works (most people do) and it's to hard to find people who don't disagree with their boss. Maybe Pace and this guy got along but disagreed with the guidance Loomis was giving at times? Look at the data to see how Pace does things: McPhee can be cut after this year with just a $1.5mil dead money cap hit. Trevathan's deal is also front loaded so that if we want or need to we can get out after just 2 years with a $2.5mil hit, and just $1.5mil in the last year. It's early in his GM career but so far he has hedged his bets and avoided long term cap issues. In two offseasons he has also stayed away from expensive FA who can really cause cap issues preferring instead to work the 2nd tier of FA, and has done so successfully IMO.

Why do you assume the guy negotiating the contracts was responsible for the Saint's cap issues and not the guy making the final decisions on how those contracts should be structured: Micky Loomis? Everyone works (most people do) and it's to hard to find people who don't disagree with their boss. Maybe Pace and this guy got along but disagreed with the guidance Loomis was giving at times? Look at the data to see how Pace does things: McPhee can be cut after this year with just a $1.5mil dead money cap hit. Trevathan's deal is also front loaded so that if we want or need to we can get out after just 2 years with a $2.5mil hit, and just $1.5mil in the last year. It's early in his GM career but so far he has hedged his bets and avoided long term cap issues. In two offseasons he has also stayed away from expensive FA who can really cause cap issues preferring instead to work the 2nd tier of FA, and has done so successfully IMO.

tumblr_mfx7f9cmec1qc04bco1_400.gif