OTA updates

AZ54

A few things I picked up from Bear Report:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bears/story/16731...dcast-episode-8

The battles for the bottom of the roster have begun....

Christian Jones has been moved to OLB. I don't think this will fit him but we know ILB for him won't work at all.

Rookie UDFA CB Kevin Peterson started out covering the slot. Interesting because we have Callahan there but there is no other logical competition for this role right now.

Rookie UDFA TE Ben Sommers is starting out at FB. I think it's safe to say he's in the role Zach Miller played the first half of the season. I find this interesting simply because that was clearly a role the coaches wanted someone to play last year and Miller seemed an unlikely candidate to do so IMO yet there he was. I expect Miller to play the more traditional TE role or split out as we saw late last year. Who else is competing for this TE/FB role?

IN the podcast link they have some other good insights from the day of practice they observed.

A few things I picked up from Bear Report:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bears/story/16731...dcast-episode-8

The battles for the bottom of the roster have begun....

Christian Jones has been moved to OLB. I don't think this will fit him but we know ILB for him won't work at all.

Rookie UDFA CB Kevin Peterson started out covering the slot. Interesting because we have Callahan there but there is no other logical competition for this role right now.

Rookie UDFA TE Ben Sommers is starting out at FB. I think it's safe to say he's in the role Zach Miller played the first half of the season. I find this interesting simply because that was clearly a role the coaches wanted someone to play last year and Miller seemed an unlikely candidate to do so IMO yet there he was. I expect Miller to play the more traditional TE role or split out as we saw late last year. Who else is competing for this TE/FB role?

IN the podcast link they have some other good insights from the day of practice they observed.

Disagree on Jones. I think this actually might fit him better. I believe I did some write up on him actually having experince there some in college(?) and that he had either a brother and an uncle or cousin that played the position too. Not that that means anything just that there are people in his family who have experience in the role.

The way I see it is that Jones no doubt has raw speed and pretty good tackling ability. He's probably not the best instinctively but compared to Floyd perhaps would be a bit more durable for the first year in the edge rushing role? At least until Floyd gets some more bulk on him and playing time.

Here's some history of Jones at OLB at FSU. I stand corrected that his relatives (dad and brother) both played DE. Not really all that different. Conceptually the same. And in case anyone's wondering FSU runs a 3-4 D. At least currently they do.

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209587974

Here's some history of Jones at OLB at FSU. I stand corrected that his relatives (dad and brother) both played DE. Not really all that different. Conceptually the same. And in case anyone's wondering FSU runs a 3-4 D. At least currently they do.

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209587974

I think if he has such a good talent level, he would already have been elevated to a better spot on the team, he is on his way out. He just didnt show enough to project him to the 53 man roster. Being moved to the outside only seals his fate, to many bodies there for him to make the team.

Jones was a terror on the edge at state.

Define terror. He had 2.0 sacks in his last college season 2013. I'm in agreement he's a great athlete but there's too much data saying he's just not a good football player.

Playing OLB should reduce the amount of thinking he has to do and clearly that's not his best attribute. It is quite possible that this is a better position for him but he's not going to beat out... Floyd, Houston, McPhee, or Young ... for a job.

Assuming we'll keep 5 OLB that leaves him in competition with Acho and Roy Robertson-Harris. I wasn't impressed with Acho last year so it is possible Jones can win a job over him but do coaches want Acho's sure and steady over Jone's flashes of goodness? RRH is 6'7" and while I think he's a notch below Jones athletically it's not a big gap, and the size/length advantage is a huge help for RRH in the trenches. If it's somewhat close IMO the coaches will go with RRH's potential over Jones. Jones could make the team as a 6th OLB if he's a stud on special teams but he's had two years to prove that he's not a stud there. Or an injury gets him a spot.

I hope he absolutely proves me wrong and becomes a stud off the edge because having two speed guys (assuming Floyd does well enough) that can get home on 3rd and long would dramatically improve our defense. In Jones' favor is the fact we have a good coaching staff so if he can grasp what he's being told to do then maybe it happens.

Terror at FSU or not, the question isn't where does he play, it's when does he play?

Right now he is not getting reps over McPhee, Floyd, Houston, or Young.

If he really got moved to OLB, he's primarily a ST player who fills in when there is fatigue or injury.

Terror at FSU or not, the question isn't where does he play, it's when does he play?

Right now he is not getting reps over McPhee, Floyd, Houston, or Young.

If he really got moved to OLB, he's primarily a ST player who fills in when there is fatigue or injury.

Right now no ones getting reps ahead of anyone else. It's all conditioning for the most part.

I dunno but I'm Wondering just how well McPhee will do this year. Of the three OLBs that are he, Young and Houston the latter two improved where McPhee sort of faded. With there talk of Young maybe getting traded, or possibly wanting to at some point what's to say Jones doesn't find himself in the rotation?

Right now no ones getting reps ahead of anyone else. It's all conditioning for the most part.

I dunno but I'm Wondering just how well McPhee will do this year. Of the three OLBs that are he, Young and Houston the latter two improved where McPhee sort of faded. With there talk of Young maybe getting traded, or possibly wanting to at some point what's to say Jones doesn't find himself in the rotation?

McPhee tried to play through a bad knee that required surgery. It didn't work too well but let's see how he is doing once he's healthy and back in the mix.

You knew what I meant. :shakehead

As for the McPhee observation, maybe it's because opponents started focusing more on McPhee. That would somewhat coincide with the improved stats for Young and Houston.

If Young gets traded, sure, I could see Jones in the rotation. If not, I just don't see it.

McPhee tried to play through a bad knee that required surgery. It didn't work too well but let's see how he is doing once he's healthy and back in the mix.

Well now I'm even more intrigued. I didn't realize that this knee issue may be chronic. In my reading up on it they said he had a "clean up" process both last offseason and this year. That's troubling.

If I had to guess, Jones would be Floyd's backup as the speed pass rush guy. None of McPhee/Houston/Young are really guys you can twist around and do the type of things Floyd will do.

And when I say backup I mean if Floyd gets hurt. If he stays healthy I dont think Jones sees the field.

If I had to guess, Jones would be Floyd's backup as the speed pass rush guy. None of McPhee/Houston/Young are really guys you can twist around and do the type of things Floyd will do.

And when I say backup I mean if Floyd gets hurt. If he stays healthy I dont think Jones sees the field.

They resigned Acho, I think that could mean he sticks around because of his STs play, and Jones could be odd man out. In them trying to sign Young to a long term deal, would tell me Houston is valved less.

I really like how this is playing out overall...

We are stockpiling young talent (barring a few FA's...). This means either they take over down the road, play in spot duty, or play specials. This, to me, is long term football building 101.

They resigned Acho, I think that could mean he sticks around because of his STs play, and Jones could be odd man out. In them trying to sign Young to a long term deal, would tell me Houston is valved less.

I really like how this is playing out overall...

We are stockpiling young talent (barring a few FA's...). This means either they take over down the road, play in spot duty, or play specials. This, to me, is long term football building 101.

Agreed. Next year better be year of the future QB. I don't want Cutler to retire then lament his absence.