Was Gase part of the problem last year?

adam

I found an interesting article about rushing tendencies by offensive playcallers: http://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/2016...ates?aid=raybon

The first chart shows how much the play calling deviates based on the outcome of the game. Interestingly, Gase was 3rd from last (Trestman 2nd from last) for their careers and both were tied for last in 2015. The Bears also had the highest percentage of rushing attempts in losses than any other team and it was not even close.

So basically, even though we were losing (or would eventually lose), Gase would still rush the ball (which would most likely end the drive). How many times did you ask yourself, why are they running on 3rd and 6 last year? To me, I often thought about this but never really second guessed it.

Just to look at this from a different perspective. Was Gase actually holding back the offense too much (trying to prevent turnovers) that he actually made the team worse (more losses)? Just a thought.

There were times last year I don't think Cutler even knew the WR who were in the huddle. Handing the ball to Forte even on a 3rd and 6 might have been the best option. Often stats leave out things that are needed to frame the game situation. 3rd and 6 on your own 25yd line is not the place for a mistake, especially when WRs on the field might be wilson, Mariani, Meredith, Bellamy. I don't have an issue with playing it safe and taking my chances with Forte or Langford to avoid the big mistake in that area.

There were times last year I don't think Cutler even knew the WR who were in the huddle. Handing the ball to Forte even on a 3rd and 6 might have been the best option. Often stats leave out things that are needed to frame the game situation. 3rd and 6 on your own 25yd line is not the place for a mistake, especially when WRs on the field might be wilson, Mariani, Meredith, Bellamy. I don't have an issue with playing it safe and taking my chances with Forte or Langford to avoid the big mistake in that area.

We ran 10% more than any other team in a loss and had one of the lower yards per carry of any team. So it is sort of counter-intuitive. The numbers don't tell the whole story, but does shine the light on some things that are not easily recognizable otherwise.

We ran 10% more than any other team in a loss and had one of the lower yards per carry of any team. So it is sort of counter-intuitive. The numbers don't tell the whole story, but does shine the light on some things that are not easily recognizable otherwise.

I would look for more of the same. Fox loves to run.

I would look for more of the same. Fox loves to run.

I am good on rushing the ball. The article was about the playcallers propensity to run even when losing/in a loss. We ran more than anyone and lost, which correlates to the playcallers reluctance to pass when losing. So in other words, we were playing from behind not to get blown out.

I am good on rushing the ball. The article was about the playcallers propensity to run even when losing/in a loss. We ran more than anyone and lost, which correlates to the playcallers reluctance to pass when losing. So in other words, we were playing from behind not to get blown out.

I would make a comment about how the team was concerned with WHO was throwing the ball and they hesitated in those losing situations so as to avoid getting blown out. But that would be too obvious and perhaps perceived as mean spirited.

I think it's a Fox team. Therefore, running will be a priority no matter the OC.

The playcallling on those 3rd and longs were a bit suspect overall. But I think they simply felt they didn't have the horsepower to pull it off to pass all the time. Ditka would do it all the time with Walter. But, he had Walter.

I look at Gase doing a good job. Not great, not bad. Just good. I think with a better D, more risks can be taken.

I found an interesting article about rushing tendencies by offensive playcallers: http://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/2016...ates?aid=raybon

The first chart shows how much the play calling deviates based on the outcome of the game. Interestingly, Gase was 3rd from last (Trestman 2nd from last) for their careers and both were tied for last in 2015. The Bears also had the highest percentage of rushing attempts in losses than any other team and it was not even close.

So basically, even though we were losing (or would eventually lose), Gase would still rush the ball (which would most likely end the drive). How many times did you ask yourself, why are they running on 3rd and 6 last year? To me, I often thought about this but never really second guessed it.

Just to look at this from a different perspective. Was Gase actually holding back the offense too much (trying to prevent turnovers) that he actually made the team worse (more losses)? Just a thought.

I would make a comment about how the team was concerned with WHO was throwing the ball and they hesitated in those losing situations so as to avoid getting blown out. But that would be too obvious and perhaps perceived as mean spirited.

No, that might have been the whole reason, limit Cutler mistakes. However, if we were already going to lose (or losing), what more did we have to lose by throwing the ball? Did Gase have more to lose than the team? Meaning, if he keeps Cutler in check and reduces turnovers, even if we lose, he can point to other factors on why we lost. This would seem to keep his value as a coach higher than if Cutler threw 25 picks and we went 6-10. Just a thought.

No, that might have been the whole reason, limit Cutler mistakes. However, if we were already going to lose (or losing), what more did we have to lose by throwing the ball? Did Gase have more to lose than the team? Meaning, if he keeps Cutler in check and reduces turnovers, even if we lose, he can point to other factors on why we lost. This would seem to keep his value as a coach higher than if Cutler threw 25 picks and we went 6-10. Just a thought.

He did limit Cutler, there's no denying that. Or at the very least expect him to play within a certain confine. While still playing to Fox' preferred run first and often style.

Whatever the case. Gase managed to get a HC gig out of it.

He did limit Cutler, there's no denying that. Or at the very least expect him to play within a certain confine. While still playing to Fox' preferred run first and often style.

Whatever the case. Gase managed to get a HC gig out of it.

I don't think Fox would allow Gase to alter the plan in order to get a HC gig. No HC is that naive.

I think it was the talent on D not Gase. Fox was trying to keep games close and limit him. I don't buy into Gase's offensive genius, even though he might be. But I won't fault him for last years offense. The D was so porous, they needed to find a way to cut down the time other offenses could be out there.

I think it was the talent on D not Gase. Fox was trying to keep games close and limit him. I don't buy into Gase's offensive genius, even though he might be. But I won't fault him for last years offense. The D was so porous, they needed to find a way to cut down the time other offenses could be out there.

Yup!

So this thread has what looks like a Gase conspiracy to make his resume look good slant which really has nothing to do with the current controlling HC who tends to play close to the vest as well as trying to control turnovers by a QB who has a history of this. Gase had no agenda after striking out during last off season for an HC job. The facts that have come out showing his personality and discipline since becoming the Dolphins HC speaks volumes of how he controlled the offense last season.

So this thread has what looks like a Gase conspiracy to make his resume look good slant which really has nothing to do with the current controlling HC who tends to play close to the vest as well as trying to control turnovers by a QB who has a history of this. Gase had no agenda after striking out during last off season for an HC job. The facts that have come out showing his personality and discipline since becoming the Dolphins HC speaks volumes of how he controlled the offense last season.

Please elaborate on those facts about Gase in Miami. At least for me (very tired after a 14hr day) I'm not sure how to interpret this.

It is not about controversy or conspiracy. The Bears were in the first year of a total regime change. Expectations were low. All I was pointing out based on the article was that Gase ran more than 10% than any other team when we lost, and was one of the 3 least flexible play callers based on game situations. No one will ever know the exact motives behind the decisions, but it is interesting that a guy who was riding Manning's coat tails as an OC in Denver then magically improved Cutler with a 6-10 record becomes an offensive mastermind.

If you think about it, we were going to be a losing team last year regardless, and if we pushed on offense and took more chances, the offense might have scored more (debatable), but Cutler definitely would've had more turnovers. By playing conservative (not to win essentially), it appeared to everyone that Cutler magically improved from the year before when in essence he was just restricted and the offense was going to run even when the game dictated passing. So who gained the most from the scenario? It seems to be Gase. It was probably not the primary intent, but the stats at least point to the fact that something more than just "reducing bad plays" was involved.

Think of it this way. There are a lot worse QB's than Cutler, worse offenses, etc, yet we ran 10% more than the next closest team (in losses), and ran 40% more than ARZ (which ran the least in losses).