Broncos at Bears Game Thread Preseason Game #1

adam

Floyd of course.

De'Vante Bausby. He's come from nowhere to being listed as backup to Fuller. At 6'2" he has the length we want in a press corner and he's made a lot of good plays in camp.

Cornelius Edison. Heard good things about him as our backup Center. Is he good enough to end up on the 53? Or are we still searching for help on the OL?

WR behind the top 3: Braverman, Thompson, Mariani, Bellamy

How do you score 0 points in a pre-season game? A PRE-SEASON game? That's pretty embarrassing.

I might have jumped the gun when I thought this team was destined to make the playoffs. With the injuries they've had already, the issues up front and in the defensive secondary, we could be in store for another rough year. I guess it's good they still have 3 pre-season games left. They need all of them.

How do you score 0 points in a pre-season game? A PRE-SEASON game? That's pretty embarrassing.

I might have jumped the gun when I thought this team was destined to make the playoffs. With the injuries they've had already, the issues up front and in the defensive secondary, we could be in store for another rough year. I guess it's good they still have 3 pre-season games left. They need all of them.

This is not an I told you so, but the O-Line is really weak now outside of long. I full heatedly feel they got rid of Slauson and probably Bushrod too, way too soon. The secondary is weak imho. Last year the teams ran over the Bears because of weak linebackers. I think they will pass over the weak secondary now. The weakness of the line will make the team pass more, teams will be passin and scoring more will also, but they will combine to expose cutler, along with the loss of Bennett and Forte this year.

This is not an I told you so, but the O-Line is really weak now outside of long. I full heatedly feel they got rid of Slauson and probably Bushrod too, way too soon. The secondary is weak imho. Last year the teams ran over the Bears because of weak linebackers. I think they will pass over the weak secondary now. The weakness of the line will make the team pass more, teams will be passin and scoring more will also, but they will combine to expose cutler, along with the loss of Bennett and Forte this year.

I haven't seen the game yet but I still think it's wayyyyyy to early to write them off just yet. Fox has been known to bring teams back in quick fashion and I'd bet he'll hold true to form.

I haven't seen the game yet but I still think it's wayyyyyy to early to write them off just yet. Fox has been known to bring teams back in quick fashion and I'd bet he'll hold true to form.

I am not going to say write them off. The line just looked bad when Cutler and Hoyer was out there. Sanchez looked like an NFL QB against the secondary.

The line possibly can gel, but the secondary will likely need some swaps.

I watched because the Bears are low ranked in fantasy football reasons, and they kinda backed up my fears. I was hoping the strong front 7 would make the team a steal for a late D, Langford would be a steal at late RB, and either White or Braverman would be a steal for a WR.

I am not going to say write them off. The line just looked bad when Cutler and Hoyer was out there. Sanchez looked like an NFL QB against the secondary.

The line possibly can gel, but the secondary will likely need some swaps.

I watched because the Bears are low ranked in fantasy football reasons, and they kinda backed up my fears. I was hoping the strong front 7 would make the team a steal for a late D, Langford would be a steal at late RB, and either White or Braverman would be a steal for a WR.

my opinion of the Bears will not be based on this performance, better to know what you need to work on now than be disillusioned with a preseason win.

Watched the 1st half with a fair amount of slo-mo on some plays.

Cornelius Washington has already made the 53. He was unblockable and it didn't matter when he was in the 1st quarter or the 2nd quarter. You often heard the names of other players who got the tackle or deflected pass but it was Washington's early pressure up the middle that forced the action. Keep in mind this is his first game ever as a DT, there is nothing but arrow pointing up here. Now I understand why he was out there so early in the 1st quarter. Might be time to say goodbye to Will Sutton as I'm not sure he's a fit at NT.

Staying with the Cornelius theme: Cornelius Edison did well. He wasn't great but for his first shot on the big stage among all the backup Oline players out there in the 2nd quarter he belonged in the NFL. I look forward to seeing how he progresses over the next few games.

Leonard Floyd belongs on the field. I expected he'd struggle at times, and he did, but overall he showed enough flashes that I think given a year to learn the job he'll be just fine next season. In the meantime he'll be contributing to some big plays this season. Did he split a double team in the 1st quarter to get pressure on the QB? Yes he did and that was nice to see from the guy lacking strength.

Whitehair played most of the 2nd quarter at C. He can play there but was clearly uncomfortable. It will be interesting to see how they handle this moving forward. Is it because they prefer Whitehair at C and Larsen at LG? Or was this just a look to see how Whitehair can handle the backup role vs. Edison?

Hoyer didn't get much time to throw on many occasions but when he did he often showed why he's no longer a starter in the NFL. There's a lot of moving pieces on the 2nd unit including Oline and he's learning a new system so I hope to see progress over the next few games.

Kevin White is going to make us smile. We didn't get to see much but on at least one play either a LB or S tried to jam him about 3 yards off the line and lost the battle. That was on the early 3rd and 3 where Cutler got sacked. By the way, the sack was caused by a TE or FB (can't recall if it was #47 or #49) getting pushed into a bad crossing route from the right side and almost running into Jeffrey. Jeffrey was wide open coming from the left side but had to cutoff his route and cut back toward the LOS to avoid the collision. Otherwise Cutler throws to Jeffrey as he started to do for the 1st down.

Bausby didn't show well but it was his first game. Athletically he can handle the role. Mentally he has a way to go.

Callahan looks good. I know he blew a coverage and gave up a TD but until he broke off the coverage he was right there step for step with Thomas. Why he was out there and Porter sitting on the bench is a bit of a mystery. It might just be that he is going to be our backup outside CB. Might be there is more competition there than we're being told.

Fuller looked good too. He didn't have passes defended but he was right there on plays in his area. I didn't see the same loose play that we saw early last season.

I do not miss SMC. Freeman missed a tackle but he is quick to the spot he needs to be in. We are going to see a world of difference at ILB with him and Trev.

From what little I saw Christian Jones he looked good at OLB. Maybe he has found a home? He'll be competing against Acho and this battle will certainly play out at OLB and on special teams. Acho looked better than I remember from last year. It's early but whichever one it is, it feels like the last OLB spot will be filled by a better player than it was last year.

Braverman still has some things to learn on his route running at the NFL level. I'm betting he'll learn it quickly.

Did anyone mention Charles Leno? I don't think so.

Knowing the score and reading some of the reviews as I started to watch I expected to see a really bad performance. I found it to be more of the opposite. I saw a solid and consistent pass rush from the Dline/OLB. I saw LBs making quick reads and making first contact around the LOS. I saw DBs right there (aside from the one TD) when passes were made. So it appears we have guys who know their assignments but they are young or new to the roster and just a half step slow to analyze where to be.

Despite the mistakes here and there the offense wasn't completely inept either. They have more to work than the D but I think given some of the recent shuffling of the Oline we'll see improvement soon. TE still remains a mystery.