Time to buy that Howard jersey

jason

I don't care if the Colts suck on defense. Howard is the real deal. Strong runner, great vision, good cut-back ability, forward lean, fast enough to get to the second level and exploit a hole for big gain, solid pass-catcher out of the backfield. I really like this kid.

Great patience on setting up his blocks too...

Also, saw some really solid blocking by him as well.

I don't care if the Colts suck on defense. Howard is the real deal. Strong runner, great vision, good cut-back ability, forward lean, fast enough to get to the second level and exploit a hole for big gain, solid pass-catcher out of the backfield. I really like this kid.

He was solid in College. Really was shocked when we got him in the 5th. Don't worry about the talent level of the defenses he has played against. He tore up Michigans run defense last year when no one else was able to. Well everyone other than Ezekial Elliott. I haven't seen YAC potential like that since he who can't be named.

What is crazy is Elliott is getting all the press for best rookie RB and right now Howard is just as good as Elliott, and Elliott is running behind 5 Pro Bowlers.

Elliott - 109-546, 5.0, 5 TDs, 9-81 Rec.

Howard - 51-296, 5.8, 0 TDs, 12-122, 1 TD Rec

What is crazy is Elliott is getting all the press for best rookie RB and right now Howard is just as good as Elliott, and Elliott is running behind 5 Pro Bowlers.

Elliott - 109-546, 5.0, 5 TDs, 9-81 Rec.

Howard - 51-296, 5.8, 0 TDs, 12-122, 1 TD Rec

Elliot has 5 games. I guarantee if Howard continues he will start getting press but another thing is Dallas is winning games unlike us

I hope Langford learns from some of what Howard does. Langford showed some patience in the preseason but that seemed to fade away when the regular season started. Oline was also a mess early on so that didn't help. On the second play Thayer highlights Whitehall's block is impressive to me given how far he moves and how he gets to the outside of the defender. That is the key block that makes the play successful IMO.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/vid...a1-da4e771e5e69

I hope Langford learns from some of what Howard does. Langford showed some patience in the preseason but that seemed to fade away when the regular season started. Oline was also a mess early on so that didn't help. On the second play Thayer highlights Whitehall's block is impressive to me given how far he moves and how he gets to the outside of the defender. That is the key block that makes the play successful IMO.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/vid...a1-da4e771e5e69

The offense looks much better when you can run the ball. Does the oline get credit? Loggains? Hoyer behind center? Or is it Howard is just better? I would like to see Cutler once with the same game plan as Hoyer to gauge the difference. I know I will catch some flack on that, but it would be a sure sign. I do enjoy Hoyer because he progresses much quicker imo, but would love to put a final nail in the Cutler era if the offense takes a step backwards.

The offense looks much better when you can run the ball. Does the oline get credit? Loggains? Hoyer behind center? Or is it Howard is just better? I would like to see Cutler once with the same game plan as Hoyer to gauge the difference. I know I will catch some flack on that, but it would be a sure sign. I do enjoy Hoyer because he progresses much quicker imo, but would love to put a final nail in the Cutler era if the offense takes a step backwards.

I was actually thinking along these lines (yes I know, hard to believe). But given the fact this team probably won't go anywhere after week 16 hits anyhow, why not let Cutler try for a few games and see how he does? I say this ONLY as a suggestion to raise his tradable status and nothing more. If they did this, Hoyer would have to know he'd be the guy next year with the thought of the team drafting (or making a deal for) a true franchise QB.

The worst he (Cutler) could do is be Cutler-esque and then it won't matter. Only concern I would have is if Cutler played poorly he'd delay the positive development of the younger players around him. Some team out there will want Cutler for his services (Miami?) . A Gase reunion might do them both some good.

*Edit*. On second thought. Forget it.

I was actually thinking along these lines (yes I know, hard to believe). But given the fact this team probably won't go anywhere after week 16 hits anyhow, why not let Cutler try for a few games and see how he does? I say this ONLY as a suggestion to raise his tradable status and nothing more. If they did this, Hoyer would have to know he'd be the guy next year with the thought of the team drafting (or making a deal for) a true franchise QB.

The worst he (Cutler) could do is be Cutler-esque and then it won't matter. Only concern I would have is if Cutler played poorly he'd delay the positive development of the younger players around him. Some team out there will want Cutler for his services (Miami?) . A Gase reunion might do them both some good.

No deals for a QB. Otherwise, I agree.

Guys I hate to say it but I can't imagine any team wanting to make a trade for cutler. At this point he is who he is everyone knows it and his contract makes it very very difficult to move him. Best case is street the season is over but even then every team would know if we can't move him we will just release him therefore why wouldn't take just wait till we release him and sign him to there kind of deal

I agree, no deal for Jay, that will be a cut. We couldn't get anything much for Marcellus Bennett, why would we get anything for Cutler? Not happening.

You could get someone to trade for him in the offseason (hello, Miami and Adam Gase) because his contract is very team friendly after this year. The new team not have to worry about any large bonuses for him and could just move on if he doesn't work out.

If he hits the open market, then it's a whole different ball game.

Peace :dabears

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler-2493/

Oh c'mon. You were right there. Let Cutler play! I think it's the obvious choice.

If they run the same offense, with the same misdirection, and the same reads, and the same improved OL play, and the same improved running game, his trade value is increased.

If he reverts to the Cutler you hate, and none of the above happens, then the team implodes and we likely get the #2 pick of the draft (Myles Garrett).

I agree, no deal for Jay, that will be a cut. We couldn't get anything much for Marcellus Bennett, why would we get anything for Cutler? Not happening.

Because QBs are like bad-boys. All the new girlfriends think they are the one who will be able to make the change.

There are way more TEs like Bennett than there are QBs like Jay Cutler, despite how much many dislike Cutler. I have no doubt just about any average starting TE in the league could go to NE and flourish. But I also have no doubt that any QB in the league would likely have faltered behind the mess of an organization Chicago has been for what seems like forever.

Because QBs are like bad-boys. All the new girlfriends think they are the one who will be able to make the change.

There are way more TEs like Bennett than there are QBs like Jay Cutler, despite how much many dislike Cutler. I have no doubt just about any average starting TE in the league could go to NE and flourish. But I also have no doubt that any QB in the league would likely have faltered behind the mess of an organization Chicago has been for what seems like forever.

To clarify my post... I don't want to deal for a QB. If someone wants to trade for Cutler, I'm good.

Oh c'mon. You were right there. Let Cutler play! I think it's the obvious choice.

If they run the same offense, with the same misdirection, and the same reads, and the same improved OL play, and the same improved running game, his trade value is increased.

If he reverts to the Cutler you hate, and none of the above happens, then the team implodes and we likely get the #2 pick of the draft (Myles Garrett).

We would be log jammed at OLB, but if he lives up to the hype then it would be a great pick. I keep running mock draft models with 4 RD1 models using fanspeaks CBS board with selecting A.) Kizer B.) Watson C.)Garrett and D.) Peppers. Round two has so far left choices of Kaaya, Kelly, and Rudolph for QB. I would think by draft day Kaaya and maybe Kelly will be up in RD1, but we may be able to pull off a D pick round 1 and QB round 2. If Pace feels one of those QBs is too good to pass, then you have to go RD1 over any other position though.

You could get someone to trade for him in the offseason (hello, Miami and Adam Gase) because his contract is very team friendly after this year. The new team not have to worry about any large bonuses for him and could just move on if he doesn't work out.

If he hits the open market, then it's a whole different ball game.

Peace :dabears

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler-2493/

I know everyone keeps saying Miami and gase but honestly speaking my gut says gase doesn't want him and would rather get someone in the draft to mold instead of a qb in his mid 30s who is past his prime regardless of that qb is

I know everyone keeps saying Miami and gase but honestly speaking my gut says gase doesn't want him and would rather get someone in the draft to mold instead of a qb in his mid 30s who is past his prime regardless of that qb is

A couple points:

With Cutler's guaranteed money off the books he is a trade-able commodity, even at his current salary. Relative to the market he has a below average contract and that will only be more attractive after the next FA season. With zero guarantee there is no longer a big financial risk, cut him whenever you want.

The way his season is headed Gase may not have enough time to draft a rookie QB and coach him up. He was brought in to do one thing: Win with Tannehill. If that isn't happening those owners, who have pulled the plug quickly on recent coaches, aren't likely to wait patiently to see him work with another QB. Gase may have just one more season to prove he deserves to stay a 3rd year.

Sam Bradford's success, like Carson Palmer's in AZ, may convince a coach on the hot seat, or a new HC, that he could strike gold with Cutler even if he hedges his bet by also drafting a young QB to develop. Kurt Warner was damaged goods when he arrived in Arizona many years ago.

If you want Cutler waiting for him to become a FA (which could happen later than sooner in the offseason) means you have to compete with other QB desperate teams. No matter what there are always a few each year.

I don't think we'd get much for him, at best a 3rd RD pick and that's if he comes back and plays well. Yet, if he does that he's likely staying here while we draft someone. Sooner or later a good defense is going to expose Hoyer's limitations.

Sooner or later a good defense is going to expose Hoyer's limitations.

Problem is all forms of defense have exposed Cutler for what he is. Given the strength in schedule and how Hoyer has been performing to this point, I'd rather stick with Hoyer. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind seeing what Barkely could do at some point too.

We would be log jammed at OLB, but if he lives up to the hype then it would be a great pick. I keep running mock draft models with 4 RD1 models using fanspeaks CBS board with selecting A.) Kizer B.) Watson C.)Garrett and D.) Peppers. Round two has so far left choices of Kaaya, Kelly, and Rudolph for QB. I would think by draft day Kaaya and maybe Kelly will be up in RD1, but we may be able to pull off a D pick round 1 and QB round 2. If Pace feels one of those QBs is too good to pass, then you have to go RD1 over any other position though.

I'd rather go with either Myles Garrett, Jabrill Peppers, or Jonathan Allen in the 1st, and then go QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

Now that I think of it, no way Miami takes Cutler, which is basically a riskier/older proposition than Tannehill.

If Gase did that, he ends up putting his entire coaching career on Cutler. No way he does that.

The best team with the worst QB is actually Denver. If anyone wanted a Sam Bradford type of acquisition for a playoff run, it would be Denver. However, due to the history with the team, I don't see Cutler going to Denver. However, Hoyer might be increasing his trade potential before the deadline. Just a thought. If he is not a long term option, trade the one with the most value, and let the other play the season out here.

Now that I think of it, no way Miami takes Cutler, which is basically a riskier/older proposition than Tannehill.

If Gase did that, he ends up putting his entire coaching career on Cutler. No way he does that.

The best team with the worst QB is actually Denver. If anyone wanted a Sam Bradford type of acquisition for a playoff run, it would be Denver. However, due to the history with the team, I don't see Cutler going to Denver. However, Hoyer might be increasing his trade potential before the deadline. Just a thought. If he is not a long term option, trade the one with the most value, and let the other play the season out here.

This is 1 of my reasons in thinking no way Miami pulls the trade for cutler

Well put...

I disagree for the simple fact that Gase was hired for one primary reason: To fix Tannehill like he did Cutler. It's nearly 100% certain that is what his job interview focused on. If he can't get that done then he's on a short leash.

Your premise is that he'd have a minimum of 3 years, maybe 4 to get the job done. I don't think the leash is that long and history in Miami shows they've had 8 head coaches in 12 years. Right now things are not going well at all for Gase. Keep in mind if he fails with Tannehill then he's already broken the biggest expectation his owner had for him. They aren't likely to wait and see him coach another young QB for 2-3 years if it starts out poorly.

I'm not saying he'll be fired after this season but if he's on a really short leash next year he'll have to make moves he knows can pay off. Drafting and relying on a rookie QB is a total crapshoot. Point to Carson Wentz and in the other corner is the player who went before him sitting on the bench behind Case Kenum. From there you fall all the way to the 4th Rd in Prescott who is quite comfortable behind the best Oline in the NFL. Miami's Oline is it's own construction project.

If this season continues the downward spiral, along with Tannehill's performance, then Gase will have to tuck his tail between his legs and go to the owners requesting a shot with another QB. IMO this makes it highly likely Gase will want to work with a QB who knows his system and has done it successfully, at least successfully enough to keep him in a job. Who is available from his recent past? Tebow, Peyton Manning, Osweiller, maybe Siemian, and Cutler. With Paxton Lynch's struggles I find it hard to believe Elway will go all in on him next year and let go of Siemian. That leaves Cutler, who may not be available either.

If Gase trades for Cutler he has no guaranteed money in his contract so there's no long term pain for the owner. This might buy Gase two seasons and two chances to draft his future QB.

The drums are already sounding in the distance:

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/10/15/1324954...ehill-struggles

Also in that article note that Tannehill earns $20mil next season, Cutler $16mil in 2017 then $17mil in 2018. That $20mil is also why Gase is so adamant he has to get it right this season. If they cut bait on Tannehill, Cutler's lower salary offsets $7mil of the $10mil dead money.