Niners game

jason

I'll gladly take this win because this team needed it and IMO they've earned it by how they've stayed with despite all the adversity this year.

There is a lot to like coming out of this game but let's start with Barkley. He's better than Hoyer for the simple fact he can throw a guy open. Hoyer by and large has to see a guy open to get a completion and just can't accurately put passes around a defender. The accuracy he threw with in that weather was impressive. I think wet heavy snow is the 2nd most difficult condition to throw in (after the sub-freezing temps) because the ball is heavy and doesn't carry well in the air, not to mention just holding the ball as you release it is tricky. Despite that he was dropping in passes down field over the outside shoulder. On intermediate routes across the middle the ball was right in the belly, no jumping or reaching needed to bring the ball in. I'm not ready to say he's starter material because there is so much more we need to see against good defenses. Considering where he came from as a late arrival to the roster with little to no practice time he's doing pretty good within the offense.

Kudos to Loggains because he's on his 3rd QB this season and his offense is still moving the football.

Oline: I am not taking back all of my criticism of Ted Larsen, but maybe most of it. I have to give him and Kush a lot of props for the work they've done inside the last couple weeks. Despite having a bad D overall there are some good players on the 49ers Dline. They shutdown Ajayi the previous week in Miami and stopping the run was their primary focus today and they were not successful.

WR: Bellamy use your hands to catch the football or you'll be dropping right out of the NFL.

Defense: Impressive work today. Given two short fields to defend early on they did so. Afterward they completely shutdown whatever was left of the 49ers offense. There were some struggles early on with the 49ers running game but that settled down as the young LBs got a feel for the game. Giving up a net of 6 yds passing is a damn good day against any NFL opponent.

D Line: Hicks needs a contract extension this offseason. I've seen enough to want him around for the long haul. Washington was out there while Bullard was benched for poor, and often non-existent, play. There is still a lot of room for Washington to improve but considering it's his first year at a new position he's done alright. It was Washington that had the early pressure the led to Kap moving into the first sack of the day. Goldman was his usual rock in the middle of it all but I have to believe he's still not 100%.

OLB: I was wrong on Floyd. I don't think he'll ever achieve elite pass rusher status like Von Miller, who has rare elite quickness around the corner, but he might hit 10 sacks in his rookie year. I can see where he'll be capable of 15 sacks a season in the near future. Floyd's versatility as a run defender and occasional inside pass rusher, where we've already seen him split interior double teams, will make him a valuable part of our defense.

ILB: Kwiatkoski had an excellent game. 9 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 passes knocked down. I think he had some misreads on run fits early on but for a rookie being out there without Trevathan and Freeman he did well. When he's in his gap on a running play that RB is going to stop cold. I didn't review the Titans game but I believe it was Kwiatkoski who stopped Derek Henry at the LOS on one goal line play last week. Time who has more experience wasn't much of a factor at all.

DB's: Nobody stood out but with a good pass rush and Kap throwing the ball nobody had to.

All good points...

But we must temper our positivity with the fact that we may have played the worst team in the NFL.

That said, my takeaways given the poor nature of our opponent are:

1. Floyd - you said it all already...

2. Kwiatkowski - Again, you said all that needs to be said

3. Howard - I don't care who your opponent is...when you punch it in 3 times, you stand and take notice. And he's been playing well for weeks now. I think we have a true building block.

4. Barkley - again, your points are on...to me the big picture is if he keeps this up, he needs to be invited to camp next year to compete.

5. Coaching - Fangio is getting it done week after week. Loggains...I really don't know. Is everyone now clicking with Fox? Dunno...again, it's only SF. Let's see what happens when we play divisional opponents now.

As much as my head wanted a loss for a better draft pick...I SUPER enjoyed this win. Especially against SF who have run up the score on us in the past a few times. F SF. It was a fun win!

I'll gladly take this win because this team needed it and IMO they've earned it by how they've stayed with despite all the adversity this year.

There is a lot to like coming out of this game but let's start with Barkley. He's better than Hoyer for the simple fact he can throw a guy open. Hoyer by and large has to see a guy open to get a completion and just can't accurately put passes around a defender. The accuracy he threw with in that weather was impressive. I think wet heavy snow is the 2nd most difficult condition to throw in (after the sub-freezing temps) because the ball is heavy and doesn't carry well in the air, not to mention just holding the ball as you release it is tricky. Despite that he was dropping in passes down field over the outside shoulder. On intermediate routes across the middle the ball was right in the belly, no jumping or reaching needed to bring the ball in. I'm not ready to say he's starter material because there is so much more we need to see against good defenses. Considering where he came from as a late arrival to the roster with little to no practice time he's doing pretty good within the offense.

Kudos to Loggains because he's on his 3rd QB this season and his offense is still moving the football.

Oline: I am not taking back all of my criticism of Ted Larsen, but maybe most of it. I have to give him and Kush a lot of props for the work they've done inside the last couple weeks. Despite having a bad D overall there are some good players on the 49ers Dline. They shutdown Ajayi the previous week in Miami and stopping the run was their primary focus today and they were not successful.

WR: Bellamy use your hands to catch the football or you'll be dropping right out of the NFL.

Defense: Impressive work today. Given two short fields to defend early on they did so. Afterward they completely shutdown whatever was left of the 49ers offense. There were some struggles early on with the 49ers running game but that settled down as the young LBs got a feel for the game. Giving up a net of 6 yds passing is a damn good day against any NFL opponent.

D Line: Hicks needs a contract extension this offseason. I've seen enough to want him around for the long haul. Washington was out there while Bullard was benched for poor, and often non-existent, play. There is still a lot of room for Washington to improve but considering it's his first year at a new position he's done alright. It was Washington that had the early pressure the led to Kap moving into the first sack of the day. Goldman was his usual rock in the middle of it all but I have to believe he's still not 100%.

OLB: I was wrong on Floyd. I don't think he'll ever achieve elite pass rusher status like Von Miller, who has rare elite quickness around the corner, but he might hit 10 sacks in his rookie year. I can see where he'll be capable of 15 sacks a season in the near future. Floyd's versatility as a run defender and occasional inside pass rusher, where we've already seen him split interior double teams, will make him a valuable part of our defense.

ILB: Kwiatkoski had an excellent game. 9 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 passes knocked down. I think he had some misreads on run fits early on but for a rookie being out there without Trevathan and Freeman he did well. When he's in his gap on a running play that RB is going to stop cold. I didn't review the Titans game but I believe it was Kwiatkoski who stopped Derek Henry at the LOS on one goal line play last week. Time who has more experience wasn't much of a factor at all.

DB's: Nobody stood out but with a good pass rush and Kap throwing the ball nobody had to.

Caveat - This is the Niners. They're probably the second worst team in the NFL.

1) Howard - Proves yet again the Bears don't need to spend time in the offseason looking for a RB. They just need a guy who can give him a breather.

2) Barkley - Impressed enough to be kept around, and give the Bears a reason to pass on QB if the player fit is right.

3) Floyd - I don't see him for several plays and I think he plays light, but then he explodes. As long as he has one or two explosions a game, I'm fine with that. If multiple other players have explosive plays in the game, and those plays are relatively spread out, that's a dominant defense. It's how the NY Giants have operated with their multiple rushers for quite some time.

4) Kwiatkoski - I called him early on, way before the Bears drafted him. He was, is, and will continue to be a tackling machine. The Bears should continue to draft players like him, guys who always produce, regardless of the measurables.

5) WRs - The Bears need WRs. Did Braverman even get in the game? None of the others impressed a lot.

6) Hicks - He's very good, and is one of those players who only needs a few explosive plays a game to make me happy. He has the consistency at other times.

7) OL - Average to good. The tackles are still fairly ugly.

8) Loggains - I did not like the fact that he completely ignored the pass in the first half until it was late. That was just stupid, in any weather.

1) Howard - Proves yet again the Bears don't need to spend time in the offseason looking for a RB. They just need a guy who can give him a breather.

2) Barkley - Impressed enough to be kept around, and give the Bears a reason to pass on QB if the player fit is right.

3) Floyd - I don't see him for several plays and I think he plays light, but then he explodes. As long as he has one or two explosions a game, I'm fine with that. If multiple other players have explosive plays in the game, and those plays are relatively spread out, that's a dominant defense. It's how the NY Giants have operated with their multiple rushers for quite some time.

4) Kwiatkoski - I called him early on, way before the Bears drafted him. He was, is, and will continue to be a tackling machine. The Bears should continue to draft players like him, guys who always produce, regardless of the measurables.

5) WRs - The Bears need WRs. Did Braverman even get in the game? None of the others impressed a lot.

6) Hicks - He's very good, and is one of those players who only needs a few explosive plays a game to make me happy. He has the consistency at other times.

8) Loggains - I did not like the fact that he completely ignored the pass in the first half until it was late. That was just stupid, in any weather.

I think we still need to consider a QB next draft. If Barkley, Shaw or even Hoyer work out as starter material for the next season or two we've gone too long in not drafting one. Let him sit like Rodgers did if we have to but we still need to consider it.

I'll concede and say outside of maybe WR were good enough in some skill positions that we should consider a Tackle in *gulp* the 1st or 2nd round.

Floyd looks like he needs to really work on his pursuit angles. The slower or pocket QBs are one thing but when you have a Kaepernick back there you have to anticipate a bit better on where's he's going to be. Floyd definitely lost outside contain s few times.

Said it once, say it again. With a name like Kwiatkowski, he has to be a Bear LBer.

I think we still need to consider a QB next draft. If Barkley, Shaw or even Hoyer work out as starter material for the next season or two we've gone too long in not drafting one. Let him sit like Rodgers did if we have to but we still need to consider it.

I'll concede and say outside of maybe WR were good enough in some skill positions that we should consider a Tackle in *gulp* the 1st or 2nd round.

Floyd looks like he needs to really work on his pursuit angles. The slower or pocket QBs are one thing but when you have a Kaepernick back there you have to anticipate a bit better on where's he's going to be. Floyd definitely lost outside contain s few times.

Said it once, say it again. With a name like Kwiatkowski, he has to be a Bear LBer.

I agree with qb. We must at least draft one. We literally have no idea what Barkley can do. But he's performed well the last 2 weeks and it's his job for the remainder of the season. So that coaches will have 6 weeks if film on him to see what he can do. If he continues then no reason we can't bring him in for next yr and let the new rookie fight him for the position

I think your and my points are quite similar... Although I think they are worse than Cleveland!

3. I think Floyed will only get better...maybe bulk up a bit more by his standard by next season

4. Agreed. He didn't do anything remarkable...but do his job. And that's a good thing.

QB - Yeah, I meant pass in the 1st round. Misleading wording to be sure. The Bears can't entirely pass on QB next year.

Anyone else notice that Bellamy was playing without gloves? No wonder he could not hang on to the ball!

Why would it matter when he doesn't catch with his hands?

Why would it matter when he doesn't catch with his hands?

I'm going to take a shot and assume this wasn't a rhetorical question. Bellamy sometimes looks like he's letting the ball get into his body too much. And has a tendency to look ahead before he catches, hence the body catches.

BM was probably one of the best when it came to actually catching the ball with his hands. AJ does too, when he's playing.