Jamal Adams

Pixote

I think he is a very good player, if we trade back and get some extra picks he would be a good valve

I agree. Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, or Jabrill Peppers would be nice options if we didn't have a glaring need at QB. If Cutler came through as a mid tier QB, I would be all over the S or CB class as top need. We wouldn't be sitting at pick 3 if that was the case and we would be inline to take one of the top DBs.

I think he is a very good player, if we trade back and get some extra picks he would be a good valve

Stinger, please don't take this the wrong way but I can't help but to comment on your post and point out that every time you use the word VALUE you spell it as VALVE. I would think you'd get it correct at least once. Damn autocorrect LOL!

Stinger, please don't take this the wrong way but I can't help but to comment on your post and point out that every time you use the word VALUE you spell it as VALVE. I would think you'd get it correct at least once. Damn autocorrect LOL!

your right, I didnt notice. I guess as long as you figured out what I meant, it doesnt really matter

I've watched some film on him at Draft Breakdown. He's a really good player and I like him a lot more than Peppers because he can cover any of the DB positions (slot, CB, SS, FS). He's a smart player who can diagnose plays quickly and reportedly has excellent leadership qualities. The downside is that he sometimes takes bad angles on his tackles and he'll miss some. He doesn't miss a lot of tackles but you'll see him flash by the ball carrier a couple times per game.

On the flipside, he arrives at the ball carrier with bad intentions and he's strong in his core and lower body. Good quick twitch type of athlete, not sure how fast he is but he is definitely not slow. He'll close a 10 yard gap in a flash and effortlessly blow up WR screens (yes, even from 10yds off the LOS). He's excellent on kick coverage.

Improving the tackling angles (really just ease up a bit at the mesh point) should be something a coach can get him to improve upon. I think he'd be a great fit for us.

I think we all can agree we need to do a major overhaul of our DBs.

So when is too early for a team to select a prospect in the draft for a CB or Safety position?

There always seems to be a reluctance to draft a top flight DB in the top 5 of the draft.

If that player is a difference maker in a position we are in desperate need to improve, is a top 5 too soon?

Ideally we find a trade partner, drop down 5 or 6 slots, get an extra 2nd or 3rd, snd still get a guy like Allen.

The problem is trade partners are sometimes very hard to find.

I think we all can agree we need to do a major overhaul of our DBs.

I'll be the one who isn't on board with this thought. We need a couple pieces IMO.

CB2: I like Porter just as the #2 CB not the #1 role he's been playing for us. He struggled a lot this year but after hearing he had to have his knee drained every week in order to play on Sunday's I can't fault his toughness. I don't know what his injury was but it was clear he had trouble cutting off that leg. He should return to form over the offseason. I also think he brings some good leadership qualities to the DB group that we need with so many young players out there.

NB: I like both Callahan and LeBlanc. Both play very well in the slot for us, Callahan also played well outside. Problem is Callahan can't stay healthy so it's hard to count on him. LeBlanc would have stood out more, and made more plays had we not moved him all over the place. Despite that he showed steady improvement and even played decently on the outside where he's not ideally suited to play. Keep both as #3/4 CBs and we're in a good spot IMO.

SS: I still like Amos. Much is made of his lack of coverage skills. He's not bad in coverage he's just not great. I think his skills fit better in and around the box. Put a quality FS next to him, ideally someone who can direct things on the field as Mike Brown used to do, and I think he'll be a good player for us.

IMO we have job openings for CB1 and FS. This is why I'd be good with Pace paying big money to Eric Berry. I think he'll get the DBs lined up across the board and he's good enough in coverage to make the big plays we need. I could also see Jamal Adams in this role.

CB1: There's a lot of talent at CB in this draft and it will go into Rd 2 and even Rd 3. We're not going to get a rookie to come in and play at that level in year 1 but if he can play at the level Porter does when healthy we'll be ok having Berry covering things deep.

Depth:

I like Hall and think he has the potential to be the CB2 when Porter's done.

Fuller certainly should be in the mix and again I think if he can get his technique right he can be a CB2 long term. There's just no reason to walk away from him right now given the state of our DBs. If he beat out a healthy Porter to start I'm fine with that.

Bush: Love his athleticism but he's got a lot to learn. I don't see him as a starter next year but hopefully he can take over as the 3rd S on the roster.

HJQ: I was optimistic he'd improve this year after his initial playing time last year. It just hasn't happened. He's late to everything. He can hit but he does that as often as he misses. Hopefully Houston-Carson takes his job next year.

We need starting quality at CB1 and FS. If you can get a Pro Bowl type performer at either spot it lessens the need for elite talent at the other spot.

I've watched some film on him at Draft Breakdown. He's a really good player and I like him a lot more than Peppers because he can cover any of the DB positions (slot, CB, SS, FS). He's a smart player who can diagnose plays quickly and reportedly has excellent leadership qualities. The downside is that he sometimes takes bad angles on his tackles and he'll miss some. He doesn't miss a lot of tackles but you'll see him flash by the ball carrier a couple times per game.

On the flipside, he arrives at the ball carrier with bad intentions and he's strong in his core and lower body. Good quick twitch type of athlete, not sure how fast he is but he is definitely not slow. He'll close a 10 yard gap in a flash and effortlessly blow up WR screens (yes, even from 10yds off the LOS). He's excellent on kick coverage.

Improving the tackling angles (really just ease up a bit at the mesh point) should be something a coach can get him to improve upon. I think he'd be a great fit for us.

Adams and the Ohio State safety (Malik Hooker) are both safer picks then Peppers, imo. That said, Peppers clearly has a ton of athleticism that he could become great, but I just didn't' see enough out of him when it mattered. Adams and Hooker both showed it on the field. I would love to have them on the Bears and I'd pick them over most everyone else, but as I've said numerous times, I can't justify a safety at 3...to me we take QB or trade down.

• 2 weeks later...
Adams and the Ohio State safety (Malik Hooker) are both safer picks then Peppers, imo. That said, Peppers clearly has a ton of athleticism that he could become great, but I just didn't' see enough out of him when it mattered. Adams and Hooker both showed it on the field. I would love to have them on the Bears and I'd pick them over most everyone else, but as I've said numerous times, I can't justify a safety at 3...to me we take QB or trade down.

I didnt like the idea at first, but if he becomes a playmaker and all pro S, does it really matter where you took him?

Anybody that could be an all pro type player, I would have no problem with at 3.

It is different than it use to be when you drafted high and they handed out huge contracts. Now it is all doable contracts at the top.

I didnt like the idea at first, but if he becomes a playmaker and all pro S, does it really matter where you took him?

Anybody that could be an all pro type player, I would have no problem with at 3.

It is different than it use to be when you drafted high and they handed out huge contracts. Now it is all doable contracts at the top.

The more I learn about Adams and Hooker the more comfortable I am with either as our 1st pick. I still have to watch some games of Hooker but what I've seen so far he's the first prospect I recall who compares to Ed Reed. Last year everyone hyped up Jalen Ramsey, an elite athlete who went 5th overall last year, but Hooker seems faster at least in game speed. This is a guy who you can comfortably leave in single high safety spot and know you have both sidelines covered deep. I expect with that much athleticism Hooker would have no trouble in man coverage. He's not as physical in tackling as you'd like to see but the ball skills he has are exactly what we need the most in our deep coverage. Hooker is young and doesn't have a lot of experience at his position yet so the best is yet to come from him but that also means you're projecting his ability more than Adams.

Adams on the other hand is the jack of all trades and lines up everywhere. He'll cover any TE in the NFL well. He is smart and instinctive, comfortable working in the box around traffic, and he'll smack guys hard around the LOS. He has enough speed to also handle single high safety role but I think he's a tick slower on top end speed than Hooker. The combine will be interesting. Adams also has the leadership you want to get everyone lined up correctly.

I understand the concern about drafting a S so high but this is a passing league now more than ever. Eric Berry went 5th overall, same for Ramsey. Then when you start looking at CBs, there are almost always 1 or 2 in the top 10 picks. Patrick Peterson 5th overall. Those are players that just cover one side, whereas elite safeties who can line up and cover players from multiple spots, depending on what the offense wants to do, seem like a better value.