Draft Philosophy Question

jason

The more and more mocks I do, the more I believe the value in the draft is in the second and third rounds. I think the talent really falls after the 3rd round overall. There may be some winners here and there, but the 2nd round will be loaded, and the 3rd will still be pretty nice. Would you be willing to wheel and deal a ton to get multiple second and/or third rounders but end up with less picks in total?

Bears' picks:

1.3 = 2200

2.36 = 540

3.67 = 255

4.100 = 100

4.106 = 82

5.131 = 41

7.195 = 13.4

-Bears trade down with NYJ to #6 (1600) who absolutely have to get a QB. Bears acquire the NYJ 2nd rounder 2.39 (510) and a 7th rounder 7.196 (13).

-Bears trade down with CLE to #12 (1200) who want to make a big impact after their brutal year. Bears acquire CLE 2.33 (580) and lose their two fourth rounders.

Final Bears' picks:

1.12 - Jabril Peppers, S, Michigan

2.33 - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

2.36 - Desmond King, CB, Iowa

2.39 - Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

5.131 - BPA

7.195 - BPA

Would you be happy about something like that?

If we don't think there is a QB worthy of a top 3 pick (and by we, I mean the Bears brass), then I think we are absolutely better off moving down. I think there are 2-3 safeties worthy of being top 10 picks (just not #3 overall picks) and I think we'd be able to get a difference making safety if we drop back a bit and then address corner early in the second round while also looking at offense. That said, some of this depends on what we do via free agency.

I am a big fan of who you have getting drafted (Peppers is #3 on my list of safeties as I'd much rather have Hooker / Adams, but if both were gone, I'd have no problem at Peppers..talented and fills a need), although I doubt Watson falls that far. I think when push comes to shove, at least 3 QB's go in the 1st round and Watson will be one of them.

If we move down from #3, I could also see us looking at OT...while I think Bama's tackle has top 3 talent, there are other issues that prevent me from being willing to invest that high in him.

The more and more mocks I do, the more I believe the value in the draft is in the second and third rounds. I think the talent really falls after the 3rd round overall. There may be some winners here and there, but the 2nd round will be loaded, and the 3rd will still be pretty nice. Would you be willing to wheel and deal a ton to get multiple second and/or third rounders but end up with less picks in total?

Bears' picks:

1.3 = 2200

2.36 = 540

3.67 = 255

4.100 = 100

4.106 = 82

5.131 = 41

7.195 = 13.4

-Bears trade down with NYJ to #6 (1600) who absolutely have to get a QB. Bears acquire the NYJ 2nd rounder 2.39 (510) and a 7th rounder 7.196 (13).

-Bears trade down with CLE to #12 (1200) who want to make a big impact after their brutal year. Bears acquire CLE 2.33 (580) and lose their two fourth rounders.

Final Bears' picks:

5.131 - BPA

7.195 - BPA

what i would do... IF the QB class (or even a killer LOT) looks strong NEXT year i trade down in the first round near the mid or even further in this draft. i take for that trade the teams first this year and their first next year. i then have 2 probable mid round or better first round picks next year to move up to get that primo position filled in the draft.

i gamble on where the trade team is going to finish out the 2017 season and make the trade with the team with the projected highest pick in round 1 for next season. any other extra picks this season is a bonus.

This year, I fill holes in FA. For the draft, I get the QB I want then BPA after that.

I am with you on this.

The Bears will have 60-80 million to spend on FA's. They can buy almost every need except QB. If Pick #3 is too rich for any of the QB's, maybe trade down some and gain an extra 2nd or 3rd RD pick.

Bears' picks:

1.3 = 2200

2.36 = 540

3.67 = 255

4.100 = 100

4.106 = 82

5.131 = 41

7.195 = 13.4

Final Bears' picks:

5.131 - BPA

7.195 - BPA

If we go by your theory, Watson wont be there because everyone is trading up to get a QB.

Also we give the 6th pic away, and our 2 4ths away to get a high second? that doesnt seem very smart of a deal.

If we go by your theory, Watson wont be there because everyone is trading up to get a QB.

Also we give the 6th pic away, and our 2 4ths away to get a high second? that doesnt seem very smart of a deal.

No...we traded down from 6 to 12, but we had to give up the two 4th rounders for trade value purposes, and we received two additional 2nd rounders.

Also, only the first trade is for a QB. The second trade would be Cleveland, who could easily be trading up to nab any number of players (because they suck). If I were in Cleveland's shoes, I'd take a QB at #1 and do what I could to get Leonard Fournette (i.e. that trade), then sell it as an attempt to duplicate the Dallas Cowboys' success, and provide a jolt of excitement to the franchise.

No...we traded down from 6 to 12, but we had to give up the two 4th rounders for trade value purposes, and we received two additional 2nd rounders.

Also, only the first trade is for a QB. The second trade would be Cleveland, who could easily be trading up to nab any number of players (because they suck). If I were in Cleveland's shoes, I'd take a QB at #1 and do what I could to get Leonard Fournette (i.e. that trade), then sell it as an attempt to duplicate the Dallas Cowboys' success, and provide a jolt of excitement to the franchise.

Cleveland could do that by taking Fournette at 1 and Watson at 12.

Bears' picks:

1.3 = 2200

2.36 = 540

3.67 = 255

4.100 = 100

4.106 = 82

5.131 = 41

7.195 = 13.4

Final Bears' picks:

5.131 - BPA

7.195 - BPA

hell yes!

I don't know bout no philosophy but whatever they do they need to draft Watson. NOW!!!

I fear after that game he will no longer slip like many predicted.

And that sucks because he's been my favorite all along. He's the only one I even want to consider at 3. And I still have him third on my Overall behind Garrett and Allen.

And that sucks because he's been my favorite all along. He's the only one I even want to consider at 3. And I still have him third on my Overall behind Garrett and Allen.

He will be this years Dak Prescott Jason. Damnit! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Bears' picks:

1.3 = 2200

2.36 = 540

3.67 = 255

4.100 = 100

4.106 = 82

5.131 = 41

7.195 = 13.4

Final Bears' picks:

5.131 - BPA

7.195 - BPA

No because a) not a big fan of Peppers as there is far too much projection into what he can become as a safety in coverage and coverage is the main deficiency in our secondary. DeShaun Watson just showed why he will be a high 1st RD draft pick. King and Ramczyk would be good pickups in the 2nd Rd although I'd take the OT first in a deep CB draft.

Because they suck, why wouldnt Cleveland take Garrett at one and then a QB at 12? Because they are at such a low in the franchise history, grabbing a QB would boast some hope to the fans.

Because they suck, why wouldnt Cleveland take Garrett at one and then a QB at 12? Because they are at such a low in the franchise history, grabbing a QB would boast some hope to the fans.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. But the sure-fire way to fire up the fan-base is to draft offense, specifically the best QB (presumably) and best RB in the first round.

I think he did a lot to cement that he goes in the top 3. I could easily see all 3 QB picks going 1-3.