Offensive line thoughts for 2017

50england50

Most people are indicating we need to strengthen at tackle but we seem to have too much potentially inside at guard and centre and I wondered with the new oline coach who seems to be well respected could this be our depth chart for the oline in 2017.

Left tackle: Kyle Long Charles Leno jnr

Left guard: Josh Sinton draft pick 2017 to back up both guards and centre

Centre: Hroniss Grasu ditto above

Right guard: Eric Kush ditto above

Right tackle: Cody Whitehair Bobby Massie (either becomes serviceable depth or wait until there is no cap hit releasing him

I know this would possibly mess up building continuity at the position but we are paying Long left tackle money and maybe he is better suited to play left tackle and being next to Sinton could help with this. A lot would be dependent as well with moving Whitehair to right tackle with my biggest concern being is Grasu up to playing centre in the NFL. Indications were that he was bigger and stronger prior to his season ending injury but if he comes back stronger and healed from the injury and can give you play at the level Whitehair gave in 2016 there is a good chance that Whitehair could be the answer at Right tackle. If you look at his play at centre in 2016 this is a position he had never played in college and his draft profile was he could play guard or right tackle. If he was tried there in the offseason and it worked out we could have a fixture at the position for 5 to 10 years.

I was fairly impressed with Kush's play after Long went on injured reserve so feel he could be a could fit at right guard and could be a cheap option there.

Is this something that could enable us to not look at spending a high pick at tackle in a thought to be weak draft class. We could then concentrate in free agency and the draft in improving my order in my view our order of need being safety, cornerback, quarterback, tight end and then overall quality team depth. If we can sign Eric Berry and draft Malik Hooker as well as sign a top corner in free agency with the current players on our roster I would be happy with the secondary as a whole. We could then draft the best QB available with either our 2nd or 3rd pick with anyone from the current QB's being the placeholder until he is ready. There is a good chance we could draft a decent tight end this year and then improve our depth.

Maybe we can also sign Jeffery to a team friendly incentive based contract so together with Meredith, White returning and the existing depth at the position this could be an area that doesn't need to be addressed in the offseason.

Just say no to Kyle Long at OT. We've seen that experiment. No. He's all pro inside. He's not nearly as good outside.

I think the ideal situation moving forward is for the Bears to have the following lineup:

LT: Charles Leno/Draft Pick/FA

LG: Josh Sitton - BU:Kush

C: Cody Whitehair - BU:Hroniss Grasu

RG: Kyle Long - BU:Kush

RT: Bobby Massie/Draft Pick/FA

Long story short, the Bears need to pursue one or two Tackles in the draft and FA. Either OT currently starting is average at best.

With the money invested already in the oline i.e. Long, Sinton and Massie it's unlikely we can pursue any tackles in free agency and with indications this years tackle class is weak with other teams targeting there will be a good chance that anyone taking a tackle will be overreaching which will be similar to QB's this year.

I was just looking at what is cuuently on the roster and how it could be shuffled to improve the overall quality. Could Long play left tackle better than Leno jnr and could Whitehair play tackle better than Massie. This would also be dependant on whether the drop off in the interior is not too great

With the money invested already in the oline i.e. Long, Sinton and Massie it's unlikely we can pursue any tackles in free agency and with indications this years tackle class is weak with other teams targeting there will be a good chance that anyone taking a tackle will be overreaching which will be similar to QB's this year. I was just looking at what is cuuently on the roster and how it could be shuffled to improve the overall quality. Could Long play left tackle better than Leno jnr and could Whitehair play tackle better than Massie. This would also be dependant on whether the drop off in the interior is not too great

This draft may not be deep with day one starters at OT, but there is decent depth that can be groomed. We have our starters, Massie seemed to improve later in the season and Leno isn't the worst. Keep going forward with this unit and draft 1 or 2 hungry prospects that can fill in when needed and learn for a year.

This draft may not be deep with day one starters at OT, but there is decent depth that can be groomed. We have our starters, Massie seemed to improve later in the season and Leno isn't the worst. Keep going forward with this unit and draft 1 or 2 hungry prospects that can fill in when needed and learn for a year.

Sort of agree. There are enough guys projected RD 2-4 (Dion Dawkins, Taylor Moton, Garrett Bolles, Julien Davenport, Antonio Garcia, David Sharpe, Roderick Johnson) that a viable pick or two could be made. I'm the President and Vice President of the "Get More OLinemen Club," and even I don't like the value of that position in RD1 or RD2. The only way I like the value is either trading back, or if Ryan Ramcyzk falls to our 2nd round pick because of his labrum issue.

Sort of agree. There are enough guys projected RD 2-4 (Dion Dawkins, Taylor Moton, Garrett Bolles, Julien Davenport, Antonio Garcia, David Sharpe, Roderick Johnson) that a viable pick or two could be made. I'm the President and Vice President of the "Get More OLinemen Club," and even I don't like the value of that position in RD1 or RD2. The only way I like the value is either trading back, or if Ryan Ramcyzk falls to our 2nd round pick because of his labrum issue.

Even Greg Robinson has fallen down the charts. Too bad this is a deep year for Centers, every fanspeak mock I do has Pat Elflein C available with my 4th RD choice and he is a top 50 prospect.

Just say no to Kyle Long at OT. We've seen that experiment. No. He's all pro inside. He's not nearly as good outside.

I think the ideal situation moving forward is for the Bears to have the following lineup:

Long story short, the Bears need to pursue one or two Tackles in the draft and FA. Either OT currently starting is average at best.

I think they will be okay with Massie so we can just get a later pick to develop. I would like to maybe see a LT in round 2 or 3.

I would love to get Ryan Ramczyk but he wont last until the second round and not worthy of 3.

With the money invested already in the oline i.e. Long, Sinton and Massie it's unlikely we can pursue any tackles in free agency and with indications this years tackle class is weak with other teams targeting there will be a good chance that anyone taking a tackle will be overreaching which will be similar to QB's this year.

I was just looking at what is cuuently on the roster and how it could be shuffled to improve the overall quality. Could Long play left tackle better than Leno jnr and could Whitehair play tackle better than Massie. This would also be dependant on whether the drop off in the interior is not too great

I don't think you can limit yourself by saying we have too much money invested so we can't go that route. If we can acquire someone like Reiff, you do it, the contract lengths won't match up so some will come off books earlier than others, and without Cutler on the roster, we will have a ton of space for free agents.

J'Marcus Webb has been rehabbing and is reportedly in the greatest shape of his career. Also note that at 28 is just hitting his prime. That being said, I think we should make a strong push to ensure he resigns with...The Seahawks bwahaha!

It went from <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_banghead.gif" alt=":banghead"> to :cheers

Agree!

We had one of the best running games in the league last year with Howard behind this Oline. Obviously we need to get better on the edges in pass protection but I prefer to keep the strength right where it is in the middle of this Oline. Add to what is already good.