Addressing the QB, Bears top priority

ASHKUM BEAR

Who would you like to see as our future QB?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. QB Prospects

• Mitch Trubisky NC
    • DeShone Kizer ND
    • DeShaun Watson Clem
    • Patrick Mahomes TT
    • Davis Webb Cal

Not a popular answer, but I personally would wait a year to draft a QB high. I have zero faith in anyone at the top of the draft. I would rather sell out for defense then hope that the offense is bad enough to get you back in the top 5 next year to take one of the studs coming out next year.

If Chad Kelly is there in the 4th I would take him and have him compete with Hoyer and Shaw. If he goes all Dak Prescott on us, great, if not, you have a young backup to one of the franchise guys coming out next year.

Not a popular answer, but I personally would wait a year to draft a QB high. I have zero faith in anyone at the top of the draft. I would rather sell out for defense then hope that the offense is bad enough to get you back in the top 5 next year to take one of the studs coming out next year. If Chad Kelly is there in the 4th I would take him and have him compete with Hoyer and Shaw. If he goes all Dak Prescott on us, great, if not, you have a young backup to one of the franchise guys coming out next year.

If the Bears take a chance on Kelly, it would be as an UDFA. Coming off a serious injury and he has a history of causing trouble will keep teams, especially the Bears from taking that risk.

Not a popular answer, but I personally would wait a year to draft a QB high. I have zero faith in anyone at the top of the draft. I would rather sell out for defense then hope that the offense is bad enough to get you back in the top 5 next year to take one of the studs coming out next year.

If Chad Kelly is there in the 4th I would take him and have him compete with Hoyer and Shaw. If he goes all Dak Prescott on us, great, if not, you have a young backup to one of the franchise guys coming out next year.

But in theory, wouldn't you want to pick a higher value QB then assume the team will tank? Making it more realistic to pick at the top the following year and get the 'franchise QB'? As opposed to building up the team through defense and presuming they have a better record due to the defense being that much better? Weren't they rated somewhere in the top 10-15? With a scrub like Hoyer, Barkley or Shaw playing just good enough the team could find themselves in the middle to later part of the 1st round and out of contention for the earlier round draft spots.

Besides that, holding out hope for next year has too many variables that would make me nervous.

But in theory, wouldn't you want to pick a higher value QB then assume the team will tank? Making it more realistic to pick at the top the following year and get the 'franchise QB'? As opposed to building up the team through defense and presuming they have a better record due to the defense being that much better? Weren't they rated somewhere in the top 10-15? With a scrub like Hoyer, Barkley or Shaw playing just good enough the team could find themselves in the middle to later part of the 1st round and out of contention for the earlier round draft spots.

Besides that, holding out hope for next year has too many variables that would make me nervous.

I would rather try and fail getting the franchise QB than waiting or doing nothing at all. I think there are 4 candidates in this class that can be groomed into a starting QB. Will one of these become Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady? Possibly, but you have to draft one and put the resources around him to succeed to find out. If you are not certain on that pick after one year, draft one in 2018 also.

I would rather try and fail getting the franchise QB than waiting or doing nothing at all. I think there are 4 candidates in this class that can be groomed into a starting QB. Will one of these become Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady? Possibly, but you have to draft one and put the resources around him to succeed to find out. If you are not certain on that pick after one year, draft one in 2018 also.

Agreed.

I agree.

If the Bears take a chance on Kelly, it would be as an UDFA. Coming off a serious injury and he has a history of causing trouble will keep teams, especially the Bears from taking that risk.

No way. If Kelly is there in the 6th or 7th round, you absolutely use one of those picks on him. Those picks almost never make the team anyway, so to get that kind of talent that late is how you build champions. Late round picks should be on question marks with high upside, not guys who have late round talent.

I read one scout say he was the best prospect in this draft as far as ability.

He is. Pure ability, and that's it, Kelly is better. But he has drama, gun-slinger mentality, and injury history.

No way. If Kelly is there in the 6th or 7th round, you absolutely use one of those picks on him. Those picks almost never make the team anyway, so to get that kind of talent that late is how you build champions. Late round picks should be on question marks with high upside, not guys who have late round talent.

He is. Pure ability, and that's it, Kelly is better. But he has drama, gun-slinger mentality, and injury history.

Ok, I will give you the 6 or 7 round pick. Talent wise, he has skills. Personality wise, he does not fit Chicago/McCaskeys. That there is why they will not take him. Blame it on old fashioned owners, being realistic though. If that is all the Bears came out of the draft with to count on being the future, then Pace would be on a short leash.

Not with the first round pick. Picking at 3 you need an instant starter and potential all pro type of player, none of these QBs are even close to that. If any fall to the second, then maybe grab one but reaching for a player doesnt make him a better prospect just makes you dumb. If you have to develop one, there are several that have potential that you can get in 3 or 4.

Not with the first round pick. Picking at 3 you need an instant starter and potential all pro type of player, none of these QBs are even close to that. If any fall to the second, then maybe grab one but reaching for a player doesnt make him a better prospect just makes you dumb. If you have to develop one, there are several that have potential that you can get in 3 or 4.

The Bears have to get creative then. I know few here like the QB class and I would love to see Adams or Hooker myself, but the Bears do not even have a QB under contract they can count on. They are shopping Jay and I see no possible way he is back if there are no offers. He would rather retire. Shaw is signed but can he play? Hoyer and Barkley are free agents, it is possible we get one back to have a vet with starting experience for a year or so, but not certain.

They either trade for Garappolo or find a way to draft one without over reaching, otherwise going into the season with Hoyer, Shaw, and a Peterman (3-4 rounder) isn't much better.

Back on Kelly for a moment. He is not invited to the combine because of his assault but that can change if enough teams request an invite. As of today, he still hasnt reached the number of requests required. He may have talent, but it seems teams are sending him a message. I would not have a beef if they used a 6/7 pick, we know his talent level is higher. Just wanted to point out why my initial response was he probably won't be drafted.