Alshon not expected back.

scs787

As another poster said, comp picks are based on money lost vs money spent. So say Alshon signs for 15 mill, if the Bears spend more than 15 mill, the Bears don't get a pick.

Hoyer is the only other guy who might get a couple mill elsewhere to beef up the chances of a comp pick.

I've done some research on it, and there doesn't appear to be a pure 1 for 1 formula. At least none that any of the experts can agree on. In general, however, the concept is right. If a team loses more in FA than they get, based upon how well the players do, how much they get paid, and whether or not they get post-season awards, then that team gets compensation.

Having said all that, I'd figure the money the Bears are going to spend in FA would pretty much eliminate any compensation for one guy.

Even more reason to question this. Of all the players you listed the only one, so far, that has worked out (in the place of the listed players) is Jordan Howard. Heck they thought Langford was the answer and the reason for Fortes departure. But then along came Jordan. Did Pace just luck out? I mean when you look at the other players; Bennett, Marshall, Jeffery and Cutler either gone or potentially gone you have; Miller, K. White, Meredith(?) and a player to be determined in their place. Of those two (Miller and White) have an even worse injury history than AJ.

So again, should we start questioning Pace's judgement going forward or is there something he knows we don't?

I happen to love Jordan Howard, but I also think it was quite a bit of luck. He's a hard-nosed back who joined the team when the interior of the OL became a real strength, and the exterior of the OL wasn't completely atrocious. Which is why I never wanted Howard (happy now), and still think Langford might have been the guy to somewhat blow up this year. And the Bears could have had one less hole to fill this year. For instance, Joe Haeg, the guy who started 14 games as a rookie at RT for the Colts, might have been on the team.

Since we are not cutting him, if he signs a decent deal, we will at least get a comp pick for him next year. The Chargers got a 5th for Royal, so I would assume we would at least get a 4th for Jeffery.

If Cutler and Alshon walk, that would be Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett all lost since the start of the Pace tenure (on offense alone).

We will not get a comp pick, unless we pretty much sign no one. Comp picks are award for net losses in free agency and given the Bears cap space and the reports that we intend to be aggressive in the free agent space, I'd be shocked if we ended up with much any sort of comp pick for Alshon (since we would presumably be signing quite a few players vs. what we lose).

We will not get a comp pick, unless we pretty much sign no one. Comp picks are award for net losses in free agency and given the Bears cap space and the reports that we intend to be aggressive in the free agent space, I'd be shocked if we ended up with much any sort of comp pick for Alshon (since we would presumably be signing quite a few players vs. what we lose).

But part of the formula also takes into account the amount of money the free agents get, and how well they perform.

So if Alshon were to go to another team, put in a pro-bowl year, rack up 1200 & 10, and the Bears sign a bunch of underproducing turds, it's possible compensation could come.